Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga (2190 Views)

No More Olukere In Ikere, As Ogoga Abrogates Controversial Title- Independent Ne / Top 5 Places That Tell The History And Reveal The Culture Of The Igbo. / Olukere Is A Mere Chief Priest - Ogoga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by harosho07(m): 11:52am On Feb 12, 2016
“The first Olukere came from Ile-Ife and founded Ikere, much later, the first Ogoga, a hunter, left his base in Benin and came to Ikere on a hunting spree. Reaching Ikere, he went and stayed with the Olukere at his palace. As time passed by, the number of people bringing cases to the Olukere for settlement started increasing by the day until it reached a point when he could not do everything alone. He then asked Ogoga to go and stay at Iro to attend to the people on his behalf while he, the Olukere would continue with other traditional assignments. The Ogoga started carrying out the job assigned to him until he eventually attained the position of authority.”
As ordained by tradition, Ogoga and Olukere usually meet once a year during the Olosunta festival. That day, Olukere wears his crown while the Ogoga merely wears a cap. Today, both Ogoga and Olukere are, in the best interest of the people, generally seen as the head. And both are on the government payroll.

Ogoga and Olukere live in two different worlds. The attainment of University Degree put Ogoga at the forefront while Olukere a very intelligent and one who fully understands the science of power sharing continues as the traditional head. However, one thing they both have in common is the skill to understand the desire of their subjects and of winning their confidence. If anything, they try not to subscribe to the idea of absolute monarch.

Ikere, in its uniqueness, remains a complex society, a little conglomerate in its own right. History reveals that the resident of Ikere had their origin from different towns and cities in Yoruba land.

Source:
http://ekitistate.gov.ng/about-ekiti/towns-villages/ikere-ekiti/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by MISSunderstand(f): 8:44am On Nov 22, 2020
Good morning TemitopeJnr, Please we need to talk.
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by TemitopeJnr(f): 12:23pm On Nov 22, 2020
MISSunderstand:
Good morning TemitopeJnr, Please we need to talk.
Good morning Ma, I am ever ready ma. How do you want it ma?
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by MISSunderstand(f): 12:54pm On Nov 22, 2020
TemitopeJnr:

Good morning Ma, I am ever ready ma. How do you want it ma?
We could talk for here for a while and we'll take it out of here if need be.
That thing we talked about is in two weeks time, 11th/12th precisely and I wanted to know a little about you first, especially where you stay.
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by TemitopeJnr(f): 12:56pm On Nov 22, 2020
MISSunderstand:

We could talk for here for a while and we'll take it out of here if need be.
That thing we talked about is in two weeks time, 11th/12th precisely and I wanted to know a little about you first, especially where you stay.
Alright Ma.
I stay in Yaba, lagos but I am currently in Sokoto state.
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by MISSunderstand(f): 1:12pm On Nov 22, 2020
TemitopeJnr:

Sokoto ke? Where would you be coming from? Lagos or Sokoto?
And how realistic and possible do you think this whole thing is? You are just 16 and not sure any parents would even allow their children follow someone not known to them to as 'far as three states' away for two to three days. I planned to talk to them if possible but I think it's really a needless risk and a very unrealistic notion. This is not to say I don't want you around, God knows I do. I have just discussed it with Bobo and he is a bit skeptical about the whole thing.
Do you really think your parents would approve of this?
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by TemitopeJnr(f): 1:27pm On Nov 22, 2020
MISSunderstand:

Sokoto ke? Where would you be coming from? Lagos or Sokoto?
And how realistic and possible do you think this whole thing is? You are just 16 and not sure any parents would even allow their children follow someone not known to them to as 'far as three states' away for two to three days. I planned to talk to them if possible but I think it's really a needless risk and a very unrealistic notion. This is not to say I don't want you around, God knows I do. I have just discussed it with Bobo and he is a bit skeptical about the whole thing.
Do you really think your parents would approve of this?
Thank you MA.
If I would be coming eventually, I would be coming from here (Sokoto) since my parents are here currently and we will be here till ASUU calls off. I didn't know it will be this soon, judging from your conversation with Sir CN and the conversation we had to. I thought it would still be a few months (at least) away by which time I hope to have gotten my admission and I will be (to an extent) able to easily convince my parents. Although, even as I thought it to be few months away, I have already told my parents about it and sincerely they are as well skeptical too. They are aware of of all I have received from the family and they know I am in a trusted hand. The only thing they consider as problem is having to travel from the North myself (which is not three states away as you just said, I think it's about eight states or even more away).
I understand the point. I can't allow my child embark on a journey as such if I were a parent myself.
I am sorry, I am not being stubborn but I think if you can talk to them, they will fully approve of it. I can get a direct bus from Sokoto to Lagos and from Lagos to Osun should not be a problem. (My opinion)
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by MISSunderstand(f): 1:35pm On Nov 22, 2020
TemitopeJnr:

True, I was talking about Lagos-Osun in my three-state-away claim.
Bus is even risky and if the bus was an option you will alight at Akure, no need getting to Lagos. Do you have a birth certificate?
You need that to book a flight, if you have that with you in Sokoto then we have a higher chance of having your around. I can then talk to your parents but if you do not have it, honestly It is very impossible DT.
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by TemitopeJnr(f): 1:38pm On Nov 22, 2020
MISSunderstand:

True, I was talking about Lagos-Osun in my three-state-away claim.
Bus is even risky and if the bus was an option you will alight at Akure, no need getting to Lagos. Do you have a birth certificate?
You need that to book a flight, if you have that with you in Sokoto then we have a higher chance of having your around. I can then talk to your parents but if you do not have it, honestly It is very impossible DT.
I have a birth certificate but it is in Lagos. cry cry cry cry cry cry
Okay Ma, no problem.
I understand everything. smiley
I will see you some other time sheybi? When I gain admission maybe.
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by MISSunderstand(f): 1:51pm On Nov 22, 2020
TemitopeJnr:

Sorry for everything lover. The North is too dangerous and far for a 16-year old to travel alone, sincerely.
Yeah. I promise we will meet someday by God's grace.
I will be at your matriculation if you eventually get the admission next year, any other year may be too late tho. I will be leaving the country soon, you get
?
About the conversations I had with you and Oga CN, I actually didn't want to make it known on NL initially until Mama Farida and Oga CN dropped the hints. I am sorry I didn't come out straight earlier. I also promise to make it up to you.
I wish you the best of luck DT.
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by TemitopeJnr(f): 1:55pm On Nov 22, 2020
MISSunderstand:

Sorry for everything lover. The North is too dangerous and far for a 16-year old to travel alone, sincerely.
Yeah. I promise we will meet someday by God's grace.
I will be at your matriculation if you eventually get the admission next year, any other year may be too late tho. I will be leaving the country soon, you get
?
About the conversations I had with you and Oga CN, I actually didn't want to make it known on NL initially until Mama Farida and Oga CN dropped the hints. I am sorry I didn't come out straight earlier. I also promise to make it up to you.
I wish you the best of luck DT.
Okayyyyyyyyyy
I understand everything Ma.
Now I have another reason to sit tighter and make sure I get admission before you leave.
I am very grateful Ma.
Love you so much, I wish you a wonderful celebration ma.
May God perfect the day and perfect the union too.
I will be praying towards those dates. cool
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by MISSunderstand(f): 1:59pm On Nov 22, 2020
TemitopeJnr:

Now I have another reason to sit tighter and make sure I get admission before you leave.
Thank you so much my DT.
Please do the emboldened for me, I sure will do more for you too.
By the way, If ASUU calls off and you eventually return to Lagos before then, please give me a mention. I will be in Lagos to meet with your parents and get you myself.
Love you much more.
Takia of you.
Re: The History Of Olukere And The Ogoga by TemitopeJnr(f): 2:15pm On Nov 22, 2020
MISSunderstand:

Thank you so much my DT.
Please do the emboldened for me, I sure will do more for you too.
By the way, If ASUU calls off and you eventually return to Lagos before then, please give me a mention. I will be in Lagos to meet with your parents and get you myself.
Love you much more.
Takia of you.
Yeuzzzzz.
That is another round of hope there. coolcoolcool
I like either of the two options tho.
Thank you so much Auntie Mercy Baby mi.

(1) (Reply)

The True Story Of How The Eze Ndigbo Of Malaysia Died / Bogghom Cultural Outfit #bogghom / Watch As Oyinbo Sings In Nigerian Language (ibibio/efik) Fluently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.