Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,024 members, 7,849,125 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 02:55 PM

Eyes Wide Shut - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Eyes Wide Shut (804 Views)

MY BIAFRAN EYES: AN ACCOUNT OF THE NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR BY OKEY NDIBE / Wide Readers Are Needed For This Question: / ~~Memories Of The War Through My eyes~~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eyes Wide Shut by bactee: 2:34pm On Jul 26, 2012
Eyes shut.
She is going to wait for me, ‘meet me by 12 o’clock, in the class room…’ I remember she told me.
It’s twelve o’clock and I am there, in the class room, where I should be, and she is here. I grab a sit quickly because everywhere is quiet and everyone is acting well behaved in their seats. There is no need for idle talk and unnecessary pleasantries, maybe later, but now, there is work to be done. She smiles, she is happy I am here.
All of a sudden I begin to feel out of place, like my mind has been replaced, like I am in the wrong place and for no reason and without any explanation to her or any other person in the classroom, I get up and leave.

Now I am outside. The sun is bright and I have my shades on. There are many unserious looking people here, very busy trying to keep their idle minds idle. This place is the back of the classroom. She must be wondering where I am, but no worries; I’ll get back to her later.
I seem to know where I am going without a particular destination in mind. I think I will approach this hidden building up ahead…I think I know this place, it feels like my employer’s house or rather, my master’s house.

Since when did I get employed? Time must have passed or have I been moved to another different time parallel? I feel like I am under a spell. I will go in all the same, after all, I am high. (How did I get high? And whose shades am I wearing? I don’t even know.)
I introduce myself at the gate. They seem to know and respect me here unlike the classroom. She is still there, surely worried about me by now. I just left without saying why or where I was going, and she came to the classroom because of me, to be with me.

I am upstairs now; I guess this is where I have been trying to get to since I left the classroom because there seems not to be anywhere else to go. It’s really dark, empty, and dirty, it smells of decay up here, it’s not a place I should be and definitely not a place for her. She will never be here.
Where is she now? Could she still be looking for me or has she given up and has gone away? Will she try to look for me? I need to get back to her, to the light. How did I end up here?!

Now everywhere inside me is filled with fear! Can I make is downstairs and back into the light, where she is? I need to leave here now, I feel sick, and high, and afraid. Where are the stairs? I don’t remember climbing up but I know I need to climb down and that feels like a very scary thing to do.
Okay, I’ll take it one step at a time, one step down to the light at a time. Oh, I need to grab the walls for balance so I don’t slip and fall, there are no railings. These walls are filthy but right now I don’t care. I need to go, I am high and very afraid.

I can hear those words floating in my head; “The lord is my shepherd, I shall not want…even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for the Lord art with me…” I need a miracle!
Suddenly I feel fresh hope; I feel I can make it down to safety, down to the light, down to her. The stairs has railings now, wow, those words must be powerful! All I need to do now is to hold the railings and walk down. The railing is strong, it will not fail.

Is she still there? Is she still waiting? It feels like it’s been a long time. Will she believe me again? Will she trust me again? Oh no, not fear again!
The stairs are wound up into a knot, with the final destination out of sight. How can this be? i feel a score to settle with myself, with questions that need answers.

Time is ticking, the answers lie beyond the light and I can get there. I must want it so badly, it is worth dying for, and then, I will have a life worth living. What are those words again in my head? “The Lord is my shepherd…”
Snap! Eyes wide open!
Re: Eyes Wide Shut by dumodust(m): 8:33pm On Aug 01, 2012
Very good write up....a dream I guess? Any plans for forward progression on this story?
Re: Eyes Wide Shut by morek: 9:22pm On Sep 05, 2012
Lovely,I love the way ur write up takes the mind on a trip.Please if you don't mind I would love ur contribution on my new blog.Please contant me on "morek306@yahoo.co.uk"

1 Like

Re: Eyes Wide Shut by bactee: 5:05pm On Sep 12, 2012
Yes, it was a dream. Funny how vividly I remember it. Thanks so much for da kind words.

(1) (Reply)

Meet The Pigeon That Saved The Lives Of 197 Soldiers / :D / Tales From Boarding School Episode 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.