Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,681 members, 7,809,576 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:31 AM

This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? (1312 Views)

Does God Speak To You? How? / How Do You Know When God Speaks To You / 666 Mark Of The Beast Preview? Nokia Plans Tattoo That Speaks To Your Phone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by Sweetnecta: 4:37pm On Jul 26, 2012
I got this from a friend this morning and i thought it may give you a reason to put on the proverbial thinking cap.

"Why should a country with so many churches, so many mosques, where the majority is ostentatiously religious, be so corrupt, so lawless? I was once corrupt. But when spirituality came, all passion for corruption, for lawlessness melted away. I naively assumed all religious people are spiritual. But alas! What majority does is just to repeat some religious beliefs without allowing the words to transform them. Corruption continues. Lawlessness permeates. And righteousness is relegated to oblivion. Some even have the audacity to proclaim that, because Jesus had died for their sins, they are no longer under the law but under grace. Yet our country continues to decay, about to disintegrate."

whats your take?
Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by MrAnony1(m): 4:52pm On Jul 26, 2012
True talk, We need Jesus indeed. He is the only way forward.
Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by PastorAIO: 5:00pm On Jul 26, 2012
My take, as always, is that there is nothing in opening your mouth to profess one religion or the other, or in accepting one notion over the other, or even in following some ostensible actions.

These things are not religion and will not fulfill the purpose of religion (I am taking the purpose of religion to be that which reconciles a man to his God).

I also think that it is about time we start to separate the idea of a Cult from the Idea of a Religion. I don't mean Cult in the negative evil sense most people understand the word, but rather as a gathering of people for a common purpose.

Yes, many religions are practiced mostly in cults but not all Cults are religions. There are many cults that are not religions but are reaping the benefits of calling themselves religions.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 26, 2012
Mr_Anony: True talk, We need Jesus indeed. He is the only way forward.
Which Jesus? Your version?

2 Likes

Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 26, 2012
"Why should a country with so many churches, so many mosques, where the majority is ostentatiously religious, be so corrupt, so lawless? I was once corrupt. But when spirituality came, all passion for corruption, for lawlessness melted away. I naively assumed all religious people are spiritual. But alas! What majority does is just to repeat some religious beliefs without allowing the words to transform them. Corruption continues. Lawlessness permeates. And righteousness is relegated to oblivion. Some even have the audacity to proclaim that, because Jesus had died for their sins, they are no longer under the law but under grace. Yet our country continues to decay, about to disintegrate.
Can one be spiritual without being religious?
Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by PastorAIO: 6:01pm On Jul 26, 2012
musKeeto:
Can one be spiritual without being religious?

Depends on what you mean by religious/religion.
Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 26, 2012
Pastor AIO:

Depends on what you mean by religious/religion.
This being Nairaland, could you explain to me your definitions?

My definition of religion is simple. Some rules, a divine being and worshipers.
Spirituality - part and parcel of religion. The path through which worshipers to connect with the deity.
Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by CrazyMan(m): 7:41am On Sep 09, 2012
"Why should a country with so many churches, so many mosques, where the majority is ostentatiously religious, be so corrupt, so lawless? I was once corrupt. But when spirituality came, all passion for corruption, for lawlessness melted away. I naively assumed all religious people are spiritual. But alas! What majority does is just to repeat some religious beliefs without allowing the words to transform them. Corruption continues. Lawlessness permeates. And righteousness is relegated to oblivion. Some even have the audacity to proclaim that, because Jesus had died for their sins, they are no longer under the law but under grace. Yet our country continues to decay, about to disintegrate."
The truth is that most people translate religion into different interpretations.

Nigeria has over 126 different languages, spoken by different tribes and cultures.

Now to the issue of religion. Nigeria is a highly religious country, true. But do you know how many different doctrines and believes exist in the two major religions in the country?

Most people bring their culture and traditional practice into their religion, practices which includes sacrifice, killing, use of charms, amulets etc. Most people who claim to be very religious still frequent their local herbalists for protection, request etc.

Also, I've watched documentaries where pastors and immams have been caught severally with one kind of scandal or the other.

Scandals ranging from robbery, to kidnapping, rituals, r a p e, fraud etc. This doesn't mean that such religions are evil, but it simply means that most of the leaders are simply greedy, and possibly with very little knowledge of what they claim to believe, they simply go into religious practices for their selfish desires, making religion very dangerous for the common man out there to get himself involved with.

But if you take your time to inquire more, you would know that there are still genuine ones out there who strive hard to ensure that the name Religion doesn't get drowned in the mud...those are the true worshipers.
Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:15am On Sep 09, 2012
Hadn't Jesus done his bit before and failed? Isn't that what this little excerpt from the OP clearly shows? What makes you think Jesus can achieve this time around with his message, what he couldn't the last time he was here?
Mr_Anony: True talk, We need Jesus indeed. He is the only way forward.
Re: This Is Classic. It Speaks To Me. Does It Speak To You? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 09, 2012
This question has an ulterior motive....The diversion is one of them.

(1) (Reply)

Did Cain Have A Wife And Children? / What Does It Mean To Be Born Of Water And Of The Spirit? John 3:5. / Family Values In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.