Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,467 members, 7,958,422 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:06 PM

Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well (1320 Views)

Beyond Sketching Your Application Idea / Why Isn't There A Decent 3D Game Of Any Kind From Nigerian Programmers? / Software Platform Migration Isn't Easy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well by delomos(m): 6:18pm On Jul 26, 2012
Twitter is worth about 8-10 billion $(yes, with 10 zeros), and when you go to their website, you get this (See image below) --

This folks can sure afford the best of the best engineers, and they actually do have them.

So be easy on yourself when your app poops.

Re: Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well by lordZOUGA(m): 7:09pm On Jul 26, 2012
so I should take solace in this people's pain? That's twisted man.
Re: Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well by delomos(m): 8:33pm On Jul 26, 2012
@lordzouga:
Today I was talking to someone whose main argument for why we shouldn't build it, is because we don't know all possible requirements -- "I want to build the perfect software, how do you think places like G, Tw, FB, do it?" -- and my argument was, there is no perfect software, there never will be, no matter how rich you get, build all the redundancy, and even more redundancy --failure will happen.

Coincidentally, this happened. So it's not in rejoicing in other's pain (what's the point), it's in understanding that even the big boys fumble, understand your limitations.
Re: Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well by Beaf: 11:14pm On Jul 26, 2012
Twitter has been phucked from the beginning for having poor architecture, using slow programming languages/frameworks and generally harnessing fuckry. Every dog and cat knows this.
"The best" my foot! angry
Twitter is a lesson on how not to use the easiest routes/languages and how not to make architecture so rigid that mistakes are taking years to correct.

Please tell another story, Twitter didn't begin having issues yesterday.

Call us when google, Amazon, MSDN etc fall over.
Re: Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well by lordZOUGA(m): 12:06am On Jul 27, 2012
delomos: @lordzouga:
Today I was talking to someone whose main argument for why we shouldn't build it, is because we don't know all possible requirements -- "I want to build the perfect software, how do you think places like G, Tw, FB, do it?" -- and my argument was, there is no perfect software, there never will be, no matter how rich you get, build all the redundancy, and even more redundancy --failure will happen.

Coincidentally, this happened. So it's not in rejoicing in other's pain (what's the point), it's in understanding that even the big boys fumble, understand your limitations.
mistakes are allowed but telling me that because another person makes mistakes that its also okay for me to make mistakes is just not right. It is not encouraging at all. Perfect software doesn't exist... But we are all striving for that ideal software or methodology that we believe must exist. The only thing that this episode taught me is that if a site like twitter can crash or succumb to the power of the universe's infinite odds(with all their resources) how can I (that sometimes can't even afford power for his laptop) be able to make a dent with that same odds stacked against me... Its scary
Re: Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well by delomos(m): 9:09pm On Jul 27, 2012
I agree to many of your points, you're right, it's frustrating and outright discouraging to see it in that respect.

I'm pointing it out to be an encouragement, whatever you're working on, do your best, sometimes it might poop, but don't beat urself up for it, even the best poop.

@beaf: They truly might not be the best, but there are a lot of their engineers I respect (a lot), for at least their contribution to the [open-source] community. And the role twitter has taken in shaping online communication is not trivial, so maybe I should, say, they are the best at the problem they are solving.
Re: Even The Best Falter, Think About This When Your Application Isn't Going So Well by lordZOUGA(m): 10:09pm On Jul 27, 2012
delomos: I agree to many of your points, you're right, it's frustrating and outright discouraging to see it in that respect.

I'm pointing it out to be an encouragement, whatever you're working on, do your best, sometimes it might poop, but don't beat urself up for it, even the best poop.

@beaf: They truly might not be the best, but there are a lot of their engineers I respect (a lot), for at least their contribution to the [open-source] community. And the role twitter has taken in shaping online communication is not trivial, so maybe I should, say, they are the best at the problem they are solving.

you are right about them contributing to the open source community though... the founder was one of the people that designed Oauth's 1.0 protocol's specifications

(1) (Reply)

Am I The Only Onitsha Programmer In Nairaland? / Image Recognition / How To Make A Database On Server?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.