Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed (5100 Views)

Please Mercedes Benz Expert And Users, Your Advise Is Urgenlty Needed / Maintenance Tips For Honda Cars / Difference Between Honda Accord (eod) 2003, 2004 & 2005 Models. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by 55gal(m): 6:43am On Jul 27, 2012
I drive the Honda Accord(EOD) IVTEC,there is problem,the GASKET got burnt due to over heat and we fixed it but UNFRIENDLY NOISE came up after that.The Mechanic said the PISTON melted and lose shape the ring is also damaged and that is what is causing the noise.He recommended a brand new one and all effort to buy have prooved abotive.Pls. can any one in the house help me get the piston and ring or any infor on how i can get it?Thanks!08066173644
Re: Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by sultaan(m): 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2012
Get another engine, your mechanic can't fix it

1 Like

Re: Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by GarbaAudu: 10:14pm On Jul 27, 2012
My guy, you will spend the rest of your life going to mechanic workshop. The best thing you should do is to have another complete engine, as Sultaan says.
Re: Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by 55gal(m): 5:41am On Jul 28, 2012
@ sultan and garba.but the movement of the car is okay just d noise for another engine?
Re: Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by mdautotec(m): 1:02pm On Jul 28, 2012
To get the OEM piston and rings is not the problem. If you replace these parts you will need to re-bore & sleeve the engine block. As the melted piston and deformed rings would have scored the cylinder walls.

If you replace these parts without re-boring and sleeving the block the oil pressure will leak past the new rings and straight into the combustion chamber. It will be burnt there and straight out the tailpipe. RESULT: ENGINE WILL CONSUME OIL & WILL HAVE LOW COMPRESSION as it's used.

Re-boring and sleeving the block will ensure engine longevity, along with using the genuine parts.

If you can't stomach the above just replace the compete engine.

2 Likes

Re: Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by icemann(m): 1:54am On Jul 29, 2012
md_autotec: To get the OEM piston and rings is not the problem. If you replace these parts you will need to re-bore & sleeve the engine block. As the melted piston and deformed rings would have scored the cylinder walls.

If you replace these parts without re-boring and sleeving the block the oil pressure will leak past the new rings and straight into the combustion chamber. It will be burnt there and straight out the tailpipe. RESULT: ENGINE WILL CONSUME OIL & WILL HAVE LOW COMPRESSION as it's used.

Re-boring and sleeving the block will ensure engine longevity, along with using the genuine parts.

If you can't stomach the above just replace the compete engine.

Wow where did you come up with that theory?
How can you advice to re-bore and use OEM Parts?
What will be the new Piston / Cylinder clearance?
How does re-boring ENSURE engine longevity?

You don't just re-bore cause you have a bent cylinder, piston or conrod
People re-bore for different reasons. In the past when engine were expensive and fuel efficiency wasn't much of a deal, re-boring was a good option. These days with high oil prices and environmental regulations, its not worth the stress.

If you re-bore you need a bigger piston and rings(to match the new bore with a low tolerance), and that may also affect your conrod length(if you are concerned about your compression ratio).Also you may have to change crank shaft(and sometimes grind) and crank bearing.

These days street racers and guys that rice their cars are the ones who MOSTLY re-bore their engines. Most times is to get a compression ratio to give them a torque advantage.(as torque is the main factor in acceleration). Their car most times do not pass a standard emission test.
Re: Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by mdautotec(m): 1:49pm On Jul 29, 2012
Please read my statement. I am assuming the melted piston has scored the cylinder walls. If the cylinder walls are standard without damage they do not need to be bored re-sleeved. When you re-bore you take away the imbalance (caused by broken rings, melted pistons etc) on the cylinder walls. Yes though this will increase bore size, but then that is why you re-sleeve to bring the specs back to factory, so you do not use oversize piston and rings.

To further confirm that, Honda (OEM) have stopped manufacturing/selling oversized pistons and rings. OEM pistons and rings only come as standard. So if you ONLY bore the block the OEM parts will not work! If you re-sleeve with high quality block liners you can then use the OEM parts. The re-sleeved block and OEM rings will maintain a tight clearance to ensure longevity.

Neither does boring and re-sleeving the block affect con rod length. We are not going oversize here, so what is affecting the length of the con rod? When you order new con rods for a standard motor you get a standard size as per the VIN /engine number. We do not get asked from the manufacturer what rod length size we require.

And what are you referring to as a bent cylinder? First time I have heard of that. I have heard and seen a bent cylinder head.

This is not a theory. We have overhauled more than 200 engines (latest being a 2008 Corolla) in this manner for which we include a 6 months warranty, which have worked perfectly well and are still running steady. A long as you maintain the manufacturer's tolerances and use the OEM parts there will never be an issue.

Alternatively, if the cylinder walls are badly scored then the best advice, although expensive, is to replace motor with a new short block (half engine). This will include the block, crankshaft, pistons, con-rods, bearings (con & main).

Yes, overhauling is more time consuming and getting the genuine parts here can be an issue. It may not be for everyone.

Hope this clarifies some of your questions.
Re: Piston And Ring For Honda Accord(eod IVTEC) Is Urgenlty Needed by Gluckdude(m): 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2012
i have a honda 2005(EOD) complete engine, working perfectly, but just experiences shortage of oil after traveling a very long distance,
i cant bare it so i had it replaced, if you can handle it and u don't travel much, you can get in touch.
its optional though, just depends on how deep your pocket is at the moment.
you can either get a replacement for 155k or i can sell mine for you at much cheaper price.

(1) (Reply)

Milemaster 5w 30 Engine Oil Replacement / Toyota Tundra Or Tacoma ..... Help Me Choose / I Do Not Trust The Cooling System Of My New Lexus ES350.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.