Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,454 members, 7,823,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? (916 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Tattoo On The Body Is Evil / Bishop Oyedepo Is Evil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? by Delafruita(m): 1:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
oftentimes,xtians potray yahweh as the bastion of goodness and satan/lucifer/devil as the doer/inducer/instigator of all evil.however,exodus 32:14 says
"and the lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people".
is this proof that yahweh also does evil?
Re: Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? by Goshen360(m): 4:30pm On Jul 28, 2012
Exodus 32: 14 So the Lord relented concerning the disaster He said He would bring on His people. The HCSB Translation

During the plagues against Egypt, Moses frequently prayed on behalf of Pharaoh and the Egyptians. Now Moses prayed for the Israelites (vv. 30-32; 33:12-16; 34:8-9). That the Lord told Moses about the situation and did not immediately destroy the Israelites left the door open for Moses to pray for them and for the Lord to relent (unlike Jer 15:1). As He would Himself proclaim, compassion, grace, and the capacity to forgive are among God's most prominent characteristics (Ex 34:6-7; cp. Jnh 3:9-10; 4:2). Earlier the Lord had needed to persuade Moses to accept His plans; now Moses uses the Lord's own words to persuade Him to have mercy on His people. This displayed the depth of the victory that the Lord had won in Moses' heart.

People like you are reading the bible just to find holes and point of criticism. It doesn't profit you. Here you have it that the sense of the Kjv doesn't mean God does evil, the sense is punishment and if God chose to relent towards his punishment, who then are you to question him. I don't intend to enter argument with you because I already know you. I don't just want you get away with this because of many worldwide readers.

1 Like

Re: Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? by Delafruita(m): 5:12pm On Jul 28, 2012
quoting another version doesnt depart from the message of the text.narrating the role of moses as mediator doesnt also depart from the crux of the verse which was God's plan to cause evil upon his own people
besides didnt the bible say "god is not a man that he should lie or a son of man that he should change his mind".same bible says "i honour my word above my name".

1 Like

Re: Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? by Goshen360(m): 5:32pm On Jul 28, 2012
Like I said, you have a "carnal" mind towards the bible. The context is always different in all bible text. No bible verse is of private INTERPRETATION. I have given you same verse in another translation. This shows you are fighting the word of God. I'm not here to exchange too many arguments with. Go and read same verse from many translations. Stop reading the bible to "fight" God and his word and go get yourself Hebrew/Greek concordance to get the original meaning because many translators didn't find the accurate words to express the original Hebrew/Greek meaning to fit the English translations.

~out of here~

2 Likes

Re: Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? by cyrexx: 7:20pm On Jul 28, 2012
^^

typical chrisitan apologist
Re: Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? by Goshen360(m): 11:31pm On Jul 28, 2012
cyrexx: ^^

typical chrisitan apologist

Why do you say that? I said that because I don't want to continue to argue with the OP if he is not ready to be open minded. I guess you are not jumping to conclusion?
Re: Is Exodus 32:14 A Proof That God Is Evil? by truthislight: 9:15pm On Jul 29, 2012
Goshen360: Exodus 32: 14 So the Lord relented concerning the disaster He said He would bring on His people. The HCSB Translation

During the plagues against Egypt, Moses frequently prayed on behalf of Pharaoh and the Egyptians. Now Moses prayed for the Israelites (vv. 30-32; 33:12-16; 34:8-9). That the Lord told Moses about the situation and did not immediately destroy the Israelites left the door open for Moses to pray for them and for the Lord to relent (unlike Jer 15:1). As He would Himself proclaim, compassion, grace, and the capacity to forgive are among God's most prominent characteristics (Ex 34:6-7; cp. Jnh 3:9-10; 4:2). Earlier the Lord had needed to persuade Moses to accept His plans; now Moses uses the Lord's own words to persuade Him to have mercy on His people. This displayed the depth of the victory that the Lord had won in Moses' heart.

People like you are reading the bible just to find holes and point of criticism. It doesn't profit you. Here you have it that the sense of the Kjv doesn't mean God does evil, the sense is punishment and if God chose to relent towards his punishment, who then are you to question him. I don't intend to enter argument with you because I already know you. I don't just want you get away with this because of many worldwide readers.
Men, u have cleaned up things quite nicely.
I dont really have anything to add than to say that king james version is actually an old version translation employing old english.
Ur explanation is quite consistent with other part of old KINGJAMES that employs that word.
Most of the words we use today was not in use then and the understanding differs from what it was then.
Peace.

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Was Not God's Son / What Is The Appointed Day Of Rest (sabbath)? / A Pathetic Letter Of Apology From Seun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.