Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,086 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out (6555 Views)

Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs Argentina: Olympics Basketball (79 - 93) On 4th August 2012 / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by Mrchippychappy(m): 12:02pm On Jul 29, 2012

It was a day of mixed fortunes for Nigeria in table tennis on Saturday as its women crashed out of the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
Olufunke Oshonaike, who a day earlier had won her preliminary round game failed to advance further later in the day as she lost to her Italian opponent in the first round.

Both Oshonaike and Offiong Edem had been drawn to play in the preliminary round of the event on its opening day.
Oshonaike had success against her opponent, Neda Shahsavari of the Islamic Republic of Iran in the morning at the Excel – North Arena 1, winning 4-3 in a 33-minute game.

After losing the opening game 11-13, she braced up to the challenge to win the next two games 11-8 for a 2-1 lead.
But her 25-year-old opponent rallied back to draw level with an 11-9 win, for a ding-dong affair that saw Oshonaike going 3-2 up with an 11-4 win and the Iranian drawing level with an 11-5 win.

However, the 36-year-old closed the game with an 11-3 win and advance to the first round.
Edem on her part while playing later at the same venue failed to stand toe-to-toe with her Egyptian opponent to lose 2-4 after a six-game match that stretched over 27 minutes.

Eighteen-year-old Dina Meshref won 11-5, 2-11, 11-7, 10-12, 11-6, 11-3, after 25-year-old Edem failed to take her chance in their fifth game.
But Oshonaike could not keep up the momentum she had in the morning as she lost 0-4 to 39-year-old Chinese-born Tan Wenling of Italy in their first round pairing later in the afternoon.

She lost 7-11, 5-11, 10-12, 1-11 in a 20-minute game to keep out Nigerian women from the competition.
In the men’s singles, Segun Toriola had also raised Nigerian hopes by winning his preliminary round match against 20-year-old Andre Ho of Canada.

He came from a set down to win 4-1 after 37 minutes, with a scoreline of 9-11, 11-5, 11-6, 11-5, 12-10 and he was up against Swede Jorgen Persson later in the day in the first round.

It was also a good day at the office for Quadri Aruna, Nigeria’s second male entrant in the event and who had drawn bye into the first round.
The 23-year-old took his chances against his older opponent to win 4-2 after 35 minutes and advance into the second round.

After a 6-11 opening loss, he reversed the scores in the second game, lost 11-3 in the third, won at 13-11 at the rubber in the fourth for a 2-2 draw after four games.
He then went a gear higher to win the next two games 11-8, 11-6 and won a place in Sunday’s second round against Turkey’s Bora Vang.
http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2012/07/29/nigerian-ladies-crash-out-of-table-tennis-singles/
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by bright007(f): 12:17pm On Jul 29, 2012
First to comment*hurray*
Not totally å bad day though!
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by lafuria1(m): 12:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
At least we played, beta dn d useles football team dat refused to qualify 4 d olympics. Lookin forward to track and field events.

2 Likes

Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by Dukechimi: 12:23pm On Jul 29, 2012
What were u expecting from the table tennis team? Gold??

1 Like

Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by 8ightball: 12:24pm On Jul 29, 2012
@bright007
Clap for yourself

1 Like

Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by ebamma(m): 12:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
if nigeria can win atleast 2 gold medals,i will be happy.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by mikron(m): 12:28pm On Jul 29, 2012
i pray we clinch one of the medals in this mens category prefarably the almighty gold medal. Who says it is not possible? The quadri guy was marvellous ystdy
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by koolJ1(f): 12:28pm On Jul 29, 2012
As is expected,what with late hour preparation. So whose butt is gonna get kicked next?
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by alaoeri: 12:28pm On Jul 29, 2012
No wahala make una come back home afterall ωε mark attendance register.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by hardeyincah(m): 12:30pm On Jul 29, 2012
No more hope cos Aruna lost to VANG B after a tough 6 set, am so proud of Him cos he lasted than our Hope uncle/daddy/father Segun Toriola...
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by slimdiggi: 12:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
If they allow una play,i go happy undecided
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by fankasibe: 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2012
If Nigeria wins one Gold,even d Angels of God will shout 'GOD!! we think there is a mistake somewhere'
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by oge4real(f): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2012
I cant help but wonder why we are not participating in sooooo many events that fetch other countries gold. The one that baffles me more is swimming. Where are the niger-delta brethren? Is that we are lacking water in Nigeria abi na wetin? There are lots of sports to keep the young ones busy and employed. We have more than enough in terms of finance and manpower, so what in God's name is happening?
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by Bobbystanley(m): 1:09pm On Jul 29, 2012
Not suprise..
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by oayombo: 1:14pm On Jul 29, 2012
oge4real: I cant help but wonder why we are not participating in sooooo many events that fetch other countries gold. The one that baffles me more is swimming. Where are the niger-delta brethren? Is that we are lacking water in Nigeria abi na wetin? There are lots of sports to keep the young ones busy and employed. We have more than enough in terms of finance and manpower, so what in God's name is happening?
Swimming in the olympics goes beyond jumping inside water or ability to stay under water. The skills involved is something u should consider. Forget that naija delta or ilaje thing...na wash.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by ukpaku: 1:16pm On Jul 29, 2012
let those one that have lost out come home sharp sharp to cut our cost abeg
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by oge4real(f): 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2012
oayombo: Swimming in the olympics goes beyond jumping inside water or ability to stay under water. The skills involved is something u should consider. Forget that naija delta or ilaje thing...na wash.

I understand what you mean, but I still believe that we can afford a good coach to recruit and train willing talents, especially young school children who will grow into stars tomorrow and eradicate the "overage syndrome" from Nigeria.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by Afam4eva(m): 1:36pm On Jul 29, 2012
oge4real:

I understand what you mean, but I still believe that we can afford a good coach to recruit and train willing talents, especially young school children who will grow into stars tomorrow and eradicate the "overage syndrome" from Nigeria.
You're right. I want to believe that we can groome the swimmers we see on our beaches and swimming pools throiught Nigeria to become olympic champions.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by Murphy7h4: 1:38pm On Jul 29, 2012
Well
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by fankasibe: 1:48pm On Jul 29, 2012
With over 150million population....we still dey loose for common table-peniis.....
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by ortopazz(m): 2:14pm On Jul 29, 2012
alaoeri: No wahala make una come back home afterall ωε mark attendance register.
lwkmd
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by oayombo: 2:16pm On Jul 29, 2012
oge4real:

We can't have top notch swimmers if we have to wait few weeks before an event before commencing any training programme. We've had swimmers taking part in international competitions in the past but nobody really cares about their development. Look at table tennis, Segun Toriola has been representing nigeria since the 90's.....I'm sure he's close to 40yrs old...it's just so pathetic. Can't we breed another Toriola??
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by tunapar(m): 2:17pm On Jul 29, 2012
so soon wey naija dey crash out. Anyway, olympic is not to win but to participate. Atleast e beta pass that useless football team wey no fit qualify for d olympic.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by ortopazz(m): 2:17pm On Jul 29, 2012
hardeyincah: No more hope cos Aruna lost to VANG B after a tough 6 set, am so proud of Him cos he lasted than our Hope uncle/daddy/father Segun Toriola...

after 4yrz of training? Free me wiv this proud talk, so we ma no reach stage where we fit win gold or medals! Even though it was tough, he was already 2 set up he should av nailed the game.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by francis247(m): 2:57pm On Jul 29, 2012
I won't be suprised if this turns out to be one of Nigeria's worst Olympic outing under the dispensation of GEJ. Truth be said: the man doesn't like sports; though the stage is hotter than ever.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by Agimor(m): 3:10pm On Jul 29, 2012
kool J: As is expected,what with late hour preparation. So whose butt is gonna get kicked next?
What are your wishes to then?
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by folem: 3:44pm On Jul 29, 2012
oayombo: Swimming in the olympics goes beyond jumping inside water or ability to stay under water. The skills involved is something u should consider. Forget that naija delta or ilaje thing...na wash.
In freestyle you only need to race as fast as possible but our times are poor. If we invest more in facilities and coaching we can produce better athletes. NR for 50m Men freestyle is 23.70 while AR is 21.67 & WR is 20.91.
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by Mrchippychappy(m): 3:47pm On Jul 29, 2012
Does our Olympic committee mean to tell us that out of 150million Nigerians (excluding the Nigerians in the diaspora who can still represent the country) we CANNOT assemble a decent Olympic team ?
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by funkymedina: 4:28pm On Jul 29, 2012
Australia just beat us in boxing shocked
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by DrChatNuff: 5:26pm On Jul 29, 2012
At least we'll win gold in 419 grin

1 Like

Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by hassymo5(m): 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2012
ebamma: if nigeria can win atleast 2 gold medals,i will be happy.

you are not serious., if they win half bronze i will kill my self!!!!
Re: Olympics Tennis: Nigerian Women Are Out by hassymo5(m): 7:04pm On Jul 29, 2012
A country where the people who can do it will be kept aside because of god fatherism!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

CSKA Moscow Sign Ahmed Musa From Vvv Venlo For €5m / Female doctor massaging a player dick(photo) / 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.