Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,641 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:31 PM

23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup (6566 Views)

Sunday Oliseh, Invites 23 Players For Tanzania Match / Players Nigeria Should Never Loss To Other Countries Right Now! / Lagerback Discovers Youth Defender For 2010 World Cup: Obinna Nwaneri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 10:01am On Nov 15, 2009
1)  Enyeama
2)  Ejide
3)  Aiyenugba

4)  Yobo
5)  Adeleye
6)  Taye Taiwo (we should seriously consider playing this guy in left midfield instead as we lack a player there and he is a liability in defense)
7)  Echeijile
8.) Apam
9)  Odiah
10) Yusuf M. (I definately prefer his game, from the 15 mins I saw, to Adefemi's)

11) Mikel
12) Ajilore
13) Olofinjana
14) Ayila (Can also play centreback so it is OK to have only 7 defenders)
15) Kalu Uche
16) Kaita
17) Kanu (pure sentiments and for inspiration here, Etuhu misses out)

18) Martins
19) Yakubu
20) Odemwingie
21) Ike Uche
22) Obasi
23) Nsofor

Waitlist
Etafia
Nwaneri
Shittu
Sodje
Adefemi
Rabiu Ibrahim
Obodo
Etuhu
Azeez
Ajagun
Anichebe
Eneramo
Akpala
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by chidyke77(m): 12:26pm On Nov 15, 2009
@poster
U hv nw becom d coach dat wl select our team,nonsense!
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by semid(m): 12:36pm On Nov 15, 2009
? ?
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by semid(m): 1:19pm On Nov 15, 2009
? ? ? ?
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by semid(m): 1:19pm On Nov 15, 2009
Edited - Same as below
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by semid(m): 1:20pm On Nov 15, 2009
GOALKEEPERS
Vincent Enyeama, Dele Aiyenugba, Austin Ejide

DEFENDERS
Joseph Yobo, Dele Adeleye, Daniel Shittu, Apam Onyekachi, Elderson Echiejile, Taiye Taiwo, Yusuf Mohammed, Olubayo Adefemi
(Notice I put Echiejile and Mohammed before Taiwo and Adeleye cos I prefer them to the latter two).

MIDFIELDERS
Mikel Obi, Seyi Olofinjana, Femi Ajilore, Kalu Uche, Sanni kaita, Dickson Etuhu (yet to make an impact in the S. Eagles though but plays v.well for his club).

ATTACKERS
Osaze Odemwingie, Chinedu Obasi Ogbuke, Obafemi Martins, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Ikechukwu Uche, Joseph Akpala/Kanu Nwankwo
(How I wish Kanu could be dropped - he has no relevance in the team but alas Amodu no get the liver).

STANDBY PLAYERS
Greg Etafia, Yusuf Ayila, King Osanga, Eneramo, Rabiu Ibrahim, Lukman Haruna (As much as I hate him, he's a decent player), Ajagun & Azeez (from U-17's), Nwankwo & Obot (from Egypt 2009).
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 3:15pm On Nov 15, 2009
semid:

STANDBY PLAYERS
Greg Etafia, Yusuf Ayila, King Osanga, Eneramo, Rabiu Ibrahim, Lukman Haruna (As much as I hate him, he's a decent player), Ajagun & Azeez (from U-17's), Nwankwo & Obot (from Egypt 2009).

Why can't some of you type well? tongue Did you mean U-27s? tongue grin grin grin grin

So Nsofor no get space for you team at all at all?

The guy is a game-changer sometimes.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by koolchicco: 4:57pm On Nov 15, 2009
Semid:

Why can't some of you type well? tongue Did you mean U-27s? tongue grin grin grin grin

ATTACKERS
Osaze Odemwingie, Chinedu Obasi Ogbuke, Obafemi Martins, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Ikechukwu Uche, Joseph Akpala/Kanu Nwankwo
(How I wish Kanu could be dropped - he has no relevance in the team but alas Amodu no get the liver).

Why not substitute Yakubu with Nsofor, Nwanneri or Dede Okoro at least. undecided
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 5:12pm On Nov 15, 2009
koolchicco:

Why not substitute Yakubu with Nsofor, Nwanneri or Dede Okoro at least. undecided

You are going to drop the:

1) The current highest goalscorer in the national team
2) The third highest goalscorer in the national team EVER
3) The highest scoring African in the history of the Premier League

from the team you would take to the world cup?

Na wah for some of you people's tactics o!
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by marutimon: 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2009
I really think Isaac Promise, Paul Obiefule, Peter Utaka and Manasseh Ishiaku should be given a chance to present themselves. Especially the first two have been really good at their clubs and are the creative midfielders we lack.

And we should do what many senior teams do and take several youngsters to the World Cup. I say give Sani Emmanual a shot.

And we really have to take down the amount of big buly massive strikers (Martins, Obinna, Aiyegbeni) in our squad and bring in some lean, quick ones,
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by koolchicco: 5:33pm On Nov 15, 2009
Sagamite:

You are going to drop the:
The highest scoring African in the history of the Premier League

Bros forget story. This Guy has been on d bench for more than a yr nw.

Maybe Kanu's inclusion should be justified simply 'cos he was former African best player?
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Duduknight(m): 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2009
semid:

GOALKEEPERS
Vincent Enyeama, Dele Aiyenugba, Austin Ejide

DEFENDERS
Joseph Yobo, Dele Adeleye, Daniel Shittu, Apam Onyekachi, Elderson Echiejile, Taiye Taiwo, Yusuf Mohammed, Olubayo Adefemi  
(Notice I put Echiejile and Mohammed before Taiwo and Adeleye cos I prefer them to the latter two).

MIDFIELDERS
Mikel Obi, Seyi Olofinjana, Femi Ajilore, Kalu Uche, Sanni kaita, Dickson Etuhu (yet to make an impact in the S. Eagles though but plays v.well for his club).

ATTACKERS

STANDBY PLAYERS

Thats a lot of holding players. I would prefer more creative players even if they are from the U-20 or U-17. They should go for the experience. Kalu Uche played against the likes of Kenya, Tunisia, and Mozambique and he was useless. Include Ayila and Rabiu Ibrahim instead.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 5:38pm On Nov 15, 2009
marutimon:

I really think Isaac Promise, Paul Obiefule, Peter Utaka and Manasseh Ishiaku should be given a chance to present themselves. Especially the first two have been really good at their clubs and are the creative midfielders we lack.

And we should do what many senior teams do and take several youngsters to the World Cup. I say give Sani Emmanual a shot.

And we really have to take down the amount of big buly massive strikers (Martins, Obinna, Aiyegbeni) in our squad and bring in some lean, quick ones,

Are you havin a laff!

1) Isaac Promise that was a failure in attack in Olympics?
2) Isaac Promise that has been sent on loan to a lower (turkish league 2) by his Turkish club?
3) Isaac Promise that is a striker is a creative midfielder to you?
4) Martins is a big burly striker not a lean and quick one?
5) Obinna is burly?

Major League Bleep me!!! The types you see on NL!!!
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2009
Where is onuoha,etuhu we need the two midfield mastero
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 5:41pm On Nov 15, 2009
koolchicco:

Bros forget story. This Guy has been on d bench for more than a yr nw.

Because of injury.

And you think he is going to be on the bench for the next 6 months too?
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Duduknight(m): 5:41pm On Nov 15, 2009
Sagamite:

Are you havin a laff!

1) Isaac Promise that was a failure in attack in Olympics?
2) Isaac Promise that has been sent on loan to a lower (turkish league 2) by his Turkish club?
3) Isaac Promise that is a striker is a creative midfielder to you?
4) Martins is a big burly striker not a lean and quick one?
5) Obinna is burly?

Major League Bleep me!!! The types you see on NL!!!

I agree with you; Isaac Promise is useless.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2009
dystaycool:

Where is onuoha,etuhu we need the two midfield mastero

Explain the word maestro and inform us how this applies to these 2 players in midfield especially Nedum Onuoha that is a Defender.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Duduknight(m): 5:45pm On Nov 15, 2009
Sagamite:

Explain the word maestro and inform us how this applies to these 2 players in midfield especially Nedum Onuoha that is a Defender.

I was just about to say the same thing. Onouha is a defender and Etuhu is a holding midfielder and we have better ones than him.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Duduknight(m): 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2009
Sagamite:

Because of injury.

And you think he is going to be on the bench for the next 6 months too?

I will take Yakubu but he is too static; he should not be a starter. I will prefer Martins and Uche upfront.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by marutimon: 5:47pm On Nov 15, 2009
1) I fail to see how Isaac Promise was a failure at the Olympics.

2) Manisaspor is currently in the Premier Division of Turkish football and Isaac Promise has 4 goals in the Turkish Premier league.

3) Promise plays as a striker at his current club, but he was originally a midfielder and played as one at i.e. the Olympics.

4) Martins has become quite big and bulky with age. He is still quite quick, but all of the Nigerian strikers are big with Martins being the nimblest of the lot. You did see his last game. Besides if I'm saying we drop anyone it should be Aiyegbeni, who is out of form. Maybe if he gets back in form then we should take him.

5) Yes.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by koolchicco: 5:49pm On Nov 15, 2009
Duduknight:

I will take Yakubu but he is too static; he should not be a starter. I will prefer Martins and Uche upfront.

I missed that. . Thank you.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by vikiviko(m): 5:54pm On Nov 15, 2009
We don start again ooooooo

anyway thats the fun of the world cup

methink at least 2 local league players should make this team there is no way two decent players cannot be tried and eventually make the starting line up of the Eagles.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Writeme1(m): 5:58pm On Nov 15, 2009
Dickson Etuhu is 100 percent preferable to Kalu Uche, both experience and other wise, or is he ur brother? reconsider this list. its so ?nable
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by semid(m): 6:01pm On Nov 15, 2009
@ Sagamite
Wetin u mean by 'why can't some of u type properly?' U-27's u mean?
Look, I don't take kindly to people insulting me and PLEASE drop this your age obsession with the Golden Eaglets -You're beginning to sound like a broken record.

BTW, my exclusion of Obinna Nsofor was a mistake and wasn't deliberate. I absolutely love Nsofor and he's my 2nd favourite player after Osaze. He'll even make my 1st 11 anytime, anyday.

Out comes Kanu Nwankwo/Joseph Akpala in my list above and in comes OBINNA NSOFOR.

***Perfect 23 to take to the world cup**
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:01pm On Nov 15, 2009
marutimon:

1) I fail to see how Isaac Promise was a failure at the Olympics.

Completely useless he was with Okoronkwo and Okonkwo

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157226.480.html#msg2677274
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157226.384.html#msg2655024
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157226.544.html#msg2695336
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157226.544.html#msg2695087
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157226.544.html#msg2695156
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-157226.544.html#msg2695414

Just a few of the rubbish I saw.

marutimon:

2) Manisaspor is currently in the Premier Division of Turkish football and Isaac Promise has 4 goals in the Turkish Premier league.

Review your statement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Promise
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manisaspor

marutimon:

3) Promise plays as a striker at his current club, but he was originally a midfielder and played as one at i.e. the Olympics.

You surely did not watch the Olympics, you probably listened to a Nigerian radio commentator.

marutimon:

4) Martins has become quite big and bulky with age. He is still quite quick, but all of the Nigerian strikers are big with Martins being the nimblest of the lot. You did see his last game. Besides if I'm saying we drop anyone it should be Aiyegbeni, who is out of form. Maybe if he gets back in form then we should take him.

Omo, wetin I go say?

Change your TV set, its time for an upgrade. Martin big and bulky?  undecided
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:07pm On Nov 15, 2009
koolchicco:

[/b]

I missed that. . Thank you.

Static or not static, HE BANGS IN GOALS more than anybody else.

vikiviko:

We don start again ooooooo

anyway thats the fun of the world cup

methink at least 2 local league players should make this team there is no way two decent players cannot be tried and eventually make the starting line up of the Eagles.

You have a point there. I just don't know them.

Write me:

Dickson Etuhu is 100 percent preferable to Kalu Uche, both experience and other wise, or is he your brother? reconsider this list. its so ?nable

Possible but I think Uche is a better ball holder and can create some few times.

semid:

@ Sagamite
Wetin u mean by 'why can't some of u type properly?' U-27's u mean?
Look, I don't take kindly to people insulting me and PLEASE drop this your age obsession with the Golden Eaglets -You're beginning to sound like a broken record.

BTW, my exclusion of Obinna Nsofor was a mistake and wasn't deliberate. I absolutely love Nsofor and he's my 2nd favourite player after Osaze. He'll even make my 1st 11 anytime, anyday.

Out comes Kanu Nwankwo/Joseph Akpala in my list above and in comes OBINNA NSOFOR.

***Perfect 23 to take to the world cup**

Calm down, I was joking with you.

They are U-27, not U-17. cool
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by bandely(m): 6:08pm On Nov 15, 2009
See plenty coach for NL oo  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Why Amodu con still dey there?    angry angry
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by marutimon: 6:30pm On Nov 15, 2009
I did watch the Olympics and you I guess didn't. Promise played attacking midfielder. Additionally I didn't watch the Olympics with Nigerian commentators but with unbiased European ones and were positive about Promise. He may not have had a tremendous tournament but he did well.

I don't care what Wikipedia says,  go to any website with the Super Lig 2009/2010. Baa,  even go to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_S%C3%BCper_Lig

Manispor is 12th in the league and Promise has 4 goals to his name.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by Sagamite(m): 6:36pm On Nov 15, 2009
marutimon:

I did watch the Olympics and you I guess didn't.

You would be faulted if you claimed that as those NL links are posts I made during the tournament as matches were being played.

Promise is USELESS. And 4 goals is nothing!!!

marutimon:

I don't care what Wikipedia says,  go to any website with the Spuer Lig 2009/2010. Baa,  even go to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_S%C3%BCper_Lig

Manispor is 12th in the league and Promise has 4 goals to his name.

You appear to be right as my source for EU leagues (backed up with wiki report on the club) mistakenly take me to the 08-09 season club lists (when the club was in Div 2) when Turkey is clicked on instead of 09-10 season.

http://www.eufo.de/football/clubs.htm

My bad!
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by semid(m): 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2009
Isaac Promise was just average in 2005 WYC and he was pathetic in the Olympics.Apart from that, the guy is simply not gòod. That guy shouldn't come near our National Team.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by semid(m): 6:42pm On Nov 15, 2009
Isaac Promise was just average in 2005 WYC and he was pathetic in the Olympics.Apart from that, the guy is simply not gòod. That guy shouldn't come near our National Team.
Re: 23 Players Nigeria Should Take To 2010 World Cup by marutimon: 6:47pm On Nov 15, 2009
Watching him in the Super Lig I have to disagree,  he has been great apart from a bad last season.

Watch this goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO2ABWZLmjA

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Golden Eaglets To Face The Host Tanzania In Group A U17 Afcon / Download Current Wwe Matches In Hd To Ur Phone / NPFL: Kano Pillars Vs Bayelsa United (2 - 0) On 14th March, 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.