Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,563 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market (14219 Views)

What Is The Profit Margin Of 1 Bag Of Dangote/ibeto Cement? / FG Stops Issuance Of License For Cement Import / Business Ideas For Cement Biz (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by MMM2(m): 5:48pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dangote I know carry greed know u oh angry
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by Nobody: 6:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
austinsmat: dangote want to monopoly the cement market with back door the which is bad of him as a business mogul he clams the best way to fight competitor is to cut the price loose is short run and aquire the market in long run with the lower price he can force the competitor out of market because masses cheap and quality goods this fight will be advantage of poor masses
Sagytarius:

Please, punctuate. Then, you may be understood better. Thanks.
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by Nobody: 6:16pm On Jul 30, 2012
Audinowing: He is not dodging taxes or duties. He was given the relief to enable him recover from the loss he incured within the period his factory was closed down which I know was engineered by Dangote.

did you read the article at all?
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by zeembab(m): 6:29pm On Jul 30, 2012
I think most of the guys making negative comment about Dangote are business naive.
Business is all about maximising profit..which is driving force behind capitalism.
Ibeto have done the right thing by seeking court redress.
Our leaders are thief....people like OBJ only care about enriching themselves,this
should not have happen in the first place. But they only care about themselve.
I only hope Ibeto will get justice.........

1 Like

Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by Diligence: 6:42pm On Jul 30, 2012
Obj had hi stakes in Dangote's and wld stoop so low wt his dregs of the business world, where dog eats dog, to asphyxiate the hope of a common man levelling up their standard of living. Oga Joe shld open up the market and help us out...we can't keep postponing buildg our own houses just becos of sorts like Dangote...
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by IOludayo(m): 7:02pm On Jul 30, 2012
This aboki really needs 2 b in jail 4 Nigeria 2 move 4ward. He is just destroying d economy 2 his advantage. It's obvious he hasn't heard of anti-trust, let him ask Bill Gates.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by emsgray: 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2012
dangote should better go and pay all tbe money he borrowed from some folded banks and stop tryn to stop employment uprtunities.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by mrperfect(m): 8:27pm On Jul 30, 2012
We need progress, in the country, not war.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by aribisala0(m): 8:28pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dangote is not the only member of CMAN,LaFarge is too and I believe his case is very meritorious.
You can 't have two players in the same field subject to different rules.
Dangote enjoyed unfair monopoly for a long time but is he supposed to sue himself for that??That is human nature.
This is about a SPECIFIC case in court and that case can only be determined on law and facts not whether Dangote is a good man or a bad man.If we have anti monopoly laws in Nigeria maybe Dangote could be forced to sell some of his holding if he is considered too dominant but that is a separate matter and on the particulars as reported above i cannot fault Dangote
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by ACM10: 9:08pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: Dangote is not the only member of CMAN,LaFarge is too and I believe his case is very meritorious.
You can 't have two players in the same field subject to different rules.
Dangote enjoyed unfair monopoly for a long time but is he supposed to sue himself for that??That is human nature.
This is about a SPECIFIC case in court and that case can only be determined on law and facts not whether Dangote is a good man or a bad man.If we have anti monopoly laws in Nigeria maybe Dangote could be forced to sell some of his holding if he is considered too dominant but that is a separate matter and on the particulars as reported above i cannot fault Dangote

Get away! Your take on issues is most often warped. The federal government defense team prayed to court to dismiss Dangote's suit as lacking merit. While the all-knowing aribisala0 sits behind his computer and declare that Dangote's case is meritorious. Do u actually mean that it is right for Dangote to sue Ibeto after prospering through unfair competition? What a retarrrd! Dangote played by a different rule and his competitor is following suit to level out the playing field. We can't encourage ascendancy in business through government patronage. That doesn't prepare our businessmen for international competition. So it must be discouraged, starting with this case. As an astute businessman that he claims to be on international arena, why can't he allow the forces of market to push his competitor out of business? The article from the OP explained everything in great details. I wonder why u are racing to feed us with your characteristic jaundiced assumptions.

1 Like

Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by aribisala0(m): 9:15pm On Jul 30, 2012
Now you are following me around on threads? Is there something wrong ? I expressed my opinion as is my right and you choose to attack me personally?
you called me a f00l on the other I ignored you and you persist?Do not think you are the only one who can be unruly
Please ACM if you mother is mad go and treat her do NOT bring that madness anywhere near me stay away from me.do NOT quote me or otherwise engage me Final warning
Cancer,death and motor accidents will rain on you and your family.Bastard!!
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by babestella: 9:22pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dis Guy: Why isnt Ibeto expanding or building more cement plants, why are they so obsessed with importation only,
they are the only ones not complying

How did dangote start? isn't it by importation of cement yet he still imports till date, please give Ibeto a break, it is high time we have a competitor in the cement, sugar and salt market, this will certainly crash the market and he who has taken so much from the masses will begin to pay back gradually.

By the way, dan-goat-ey is just being greedy.

1 Like

Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by DisGuy: 10:52pm On Jul 30, 2012
babestella:

How did dangote start? isn't it by importation of cement yet he still imports till date, please give Ibeto a break, it is high time we have a competitor in the cement, sugar and salt market, this will certainly crash the market and he who has taken so much from the masses will begin to pay back gradually.

By the way, dan-goat-ey is just being greedy.

yes he started by importation and naturally moved with the times abd current legislation, thereby supporting FG determination to produce what we consume in the country gradually until they can make importation very unattractive, but mr Ibeto is taking the easy way out, importing only, we all can just continue importing or re-bagging cement, but who is that helping how many sustainable jobs are we creating that way? the cureent legislation support the highest manufacturer, the more you manufacture in the country the more you are allowed to import and less tax you pay- thats the idea, but mr ibeto is enjoying the buy n sell model. no added value no job creation nothing. you cant penalise someone for taking the risk to invest in the country, ibeto has politicians rooting for him too
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by snowytee(m): 10:54pm On Jul 30, 2012
austinsmat: dangote want to monopoly the cement market with back door the which is bad of him as a business mogul he clams the best way to fight competitor is to cut the price loose is short run and aquire the market in long run with the lower price he can force the competitor out of market because masses cheap and quality goods this fight will be advantage of poor masses
Dude,is dat english?
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by manny4life(m): 11:09pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dis Guy:

N12billion investment in how many years? they just want to keep importing, theres a deadline given for the backward intergration

How else will a company expand if their operations has been shut down for a while? Let's be realistic and objective at same time. Dangote bought his way, had everything being equal - every player on his own, do you think Dangote will have expanded up to this level? When you have unfair practice in place to favor one or the other, guess what, sooner or later the looser will be the winner and winner will be the loser.

Do you think Dangote clamoring all of these is because he wants to? The man is afraid, this is a strategy to steer off Ibeto off his game, because he knows the moment prices are down, it will DEFINITELY show on the books. He's lucky because Ibeto doesn't have aggressive financing like he does, let Ibeto go public now, + a strategic plan in place his fears will be more than $40million.

1 Like

Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by aribisala0(m): 11:27pm On Jul 30, 2012
there is a difference between social and legal justice. any judgment in this case becomes established as precedent in our law.if this is established for Ibeto where does it stop.One does not correct unfairness with unlawfulness.If the FG wronged Ibeto they should pay him cash not tax waivers that is just not right.That distorts the market besides LaFarge is another player in the market it is not ONLY Dangote who has an interest in this case.
Others smaller than Ieto will seek the same thing in future
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by DisGuy: 11:47pm On Jul 30, 2012
one would even think Ibeto was such a big player like Dangote was holding his joystick, there Lafarge expanded or merged, CCNN, Ashaka etc stuck to teh new policies, the expanded but Ibeto's only strategy was to continue whining and blaming the Aboki

The current production data from the various plants in the country, obtained from Cement Manufacturers Association of Nigeria, CMAN, show that the country's total cement production capacity is now at 22.5 million metric tonnes (mmt) per annum while the country's cement consumption is 18.5mmt.

Dangote alone currently accounts for 15 million mmt annum (Ibese- 6mmt, Benue Cement- 4mmt; Obajana- 5mmt) while Lafarge Wapco Cement Plc group is contributing 7.5mmt (Ewekoro l- (1.2mmt; Shagamu Cement Plant- 800,000metric tonnes and Ewekoro ll- 2.5mmt). Unicem produces 2.5mmt while Ava cement produces 500,000 metric tonnes.

where is Ibetooo? Cement Importers association of Nigeria?

Group Chairman/CEO, Lafarge, Bruno Lafont, said: "This new plant brings our capacity to more than 8 million tonnes of cement in Nigeria alone. We are determined to continue to make a meaningful and valuable contribution to the socio-economic development of Nigeria. That is my pledge to all of you.

So this new plant will help to keep Nigeria self-sufficient in cement. It will create the foundation for future economic development in your country. It will employ, and provide skills for hundreds of Nigerians and it will benefit hundreds more indirectly. It is something for us all to be proud of."

What is wrong with supporting people like these?

and where are these traders? they sold their quotas when they realised it wasnt moin moin, they suddenly realised they would be doing more than just buying and selling

It would be recalled that the late President Umaru Musa Yar'dua lifted the ban on importation of bulk cement in 2009, and granted import licenses to six new firms along the existing cement producers to flood the market with the commodity and crash the price.

The six new companies that got the import licenses to complement existing ones were: Minaj Holdings Limited, Enugu, Madewell products, Sapele, BUA International Limited, Kano; NICA Limited, Maiduguri; Reagan Renaissance Limited, Calabar and MAAN Labadi, Lagos.

They joined the seven existing players: Lafarge Cement WAPCO Nigeria; Ashaka Cement; Benue Cement Company, Gboko; Obajana Cement, Kogi; UNICEM Calabar; Cement Company of Northern Nigeria, Sokoto and DURECHEM, Ogun State.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by ACM10: 11:50pm On Jul 30, 2012
Dis Guy:

yes he started by importation and naturally moved with the times abd current legislation, thereby supporting FG determination to produce what we consume in the country gradually until they can make importation very unattractive, but mr Ibeto is taking the easy way out, importing only, we all can just continue importing or re-bagging cement, but who is that helping how many sustainable jobs are we creating that way? the cureent legislation support the highest manufacturer, the more you manufacture in the country the more you are allowed to import and less tax you pay- thats the idea, but mr ibeto is enjoying the buy n sell model. no added value no job creation nothing. you cant penalise someone for taking the risk to invest in the country, ibeto has politicians rooting for him too

That's BS! Dangote has never produced a bag of cement in Nigeria. He imports all his cements till date.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by DisGuy: 11:53pm On Jul 30, 2012
ACM10:

That's BS! Dangote has never produced a bag of cement in Nigeria. He imports all his cements till date.

>insert raised eyebrow<
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by ACM10: 11:54pm On Jul 30, 2012
aribisala0: Now you are following me around on threads? Is there something wrong ? I expressed my opinion as is my right and you choose to attack me personally?
you called me a f00l on the other I ignored you and you persist?Do not think you are the only one who can be unruly
Please ACM if you mother is mad go and treat her do NOT bring that madness anywhere near me stay away from me.do NOT quote me or otherwise engage me Final warning
Cancer,death and motor accidents will rain on you and your family.Bastard!!
embarassed
I think u need the help of a psychiatrist.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by aribisala0(m): 11:56pm On Jul 30, 2012
ACM10:
embarassed
I think u need the help of a psychiatrist.
Who cares what you or your mother thinks?
Stay away from me!!
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by ACM10: 12:00am On Jul 31, 2012
Dis Guy:

>insert raised eyebrow<

My dear, Dangote imports all his cement and has never produced a single bag in Nigeria. That's one of the ploy that he used to prompt Obasanjo to ban Ibeto cement. He still imports all his cement till date
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by EzePromoe: 1:34am On Jul 31, 2012
[size=20pt]Nwanne, shine your eye jor. We no dey huzzle to feed Dangote and him family in the name of building house.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by teevibez(m): 3:07am On Jul 31, 2012
Hmmmmm, interesting.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by MrEverest(m): 8:26am On Jul 31, 2012
Dangote is a very greedy, selfish and avaricious man, why is he playing so dirty? Scared of healty competition in a country of 160 million ppl, damn him! Btw kudos to GEJ for intervening on the side of Nigerians, i have seen that you mean well but probably your detractors are blackmailing you! Pls revamp the power sector, holistically probe the subsidy scam, pension scam et al and exhibit more firepower (by jailing the sponsors) in the fight against BH and we the masses will support you to continue beyond 2015!
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by CHIDIEJIOGU: 9:03am On Jul 31, 2012
DANGOTE IS A BLOODY KUNTA KUNTE,A HUGE COCRAOCH AND A STUPID GREEDY BASTARD.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by davechika(m): 9:36am On Jul 31, 2012
ACM10:

Get away! Your take on issues is most often warped. The federal government defense team prayed to court to dismiss Dangote's suit as lacking merit. While the all-knowing aribisala0 sits behind his computer and declare that Dangote's case is meritorious. Do u actually mean that it is right for Dangote to sue Ibeto after prospering through unfair competition? What a retarrrd! Dangote played by a different rule and his competitor is following suit to level out the playing field. We can't encourage ascendancy in business through government patronage. That doesn't prepare our businessmen for international competition. So it must be discouraged, starting with this case. As an astute businessman that he claims to be on international arena, why can't he allow the forces of market to push his competitor out of business? The article from the OP explained everything in great details. I wonder why u are racing to feed us with your characteristic jaundiced assumptions.
Thank you!.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by dexterfal: 10:18am On Jul 31, 2012
dude dude dude! lipsrsealed
lol! dangote has "monoply" the market! what did he do! skip jail pass directly to go and collect 200 pounds?
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 31, 2012
dexterfal:
dude dude dude! lipsrsealed
lol! dangote has "monoply" the market! what did he do! skip jail pass directly to go and collect 200 pounds?

SEE THE THINGS DANGOTE IS DOING TO NIGERIANS grin grin grin
the bros for just use igbo language communicate!
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by blocker: 12:05am On Aug 01, 2012
tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue You see why Nigeria won't find it easy to attract genuine foreign investors and also push our local businesses overseas. Who can forget what happened to Jimoh Ibrahim... you put out a bid and sell companies for billions to citizens and you go ahead to take it by force. Double standards in effecting policy and half measures in allocating resources.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by mystikal(m): 9:11am On Aug 02, 2012
Cant they both hustle for the market shares fairly. Global Businessman indeed. e no dey see Apple and Microsoft dey hustle for the same market.
Re: Dangote, Ibeto: Battle For Cement Market by DisGuy: 5:33pm On Aug 02, 2012
mystikal: Cant they both hustle for the market shares fairly. Global Businessman indeed. e no dey see Apple and Microsoft dey hustle for the same market.

its a case of baboon dey work monkey dey chop, the policy was to end cement importation by 2012/13 hence gradual descrease of importation quota
but mr Ibeto no wan invest for country, him wan dey import, whilst THE REST not only dangote we're investing heavily in manufacturing.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Top Five Motivational Books For Entrepreneurs / Naira Stable At ₦1550 - ₦1580 In Parallel Market After CBN’s $7.85M Sale To BDCs / Mfumu Arnold Kufulula, Congo Prince Talks To Blackwash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.