Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,812 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! - Car Talk (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! (385785 Views)

Peugeot Cars Ownership: The Misleading Idea: Location, Cost Of Parts, Etc. / Are There No Auto Peugeot Cars? / American Spec Cars With HEADLAMPS Always On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (100) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by tundesto(m): 3:18pm On Mar 18, 2013
Ikenna351: Three days ago, 14/03/2013, I got my Baby's long awaited New number plates, requested since January this year, 2013. Guess the number on it? 505!

I guess I may be the only person in Nigeria that drives a 505 with number plate "505". tongue

So, if you stay in Abuja and an aggressive looking 505 overtakes you on any Abuja Expressway with "505" on the Number plate, you now know who that would be. cool

Ikenna

That's great. I will be on the look out for you. But if I flag you down, stop for me o.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by auhanson(m): 1:21pm On Mar 21, 2013
Ikenna351:
Am expecting the universal cone filter to arrive anytime this week. I would imagine what type of Animal the car would turn into with the extra power the filter will add to the factory power, including the increased fuel economy the filter will give the car too. I can't wait to install it as soon as it arrives.

Ikenna.

Please what do you mean by 'universal cone' filter? Are you talking about the 'drier' or something else ? Are you talking about the air filter in the PVC as in the case of Benz? How does it affect power and mpg? I am interested in everything that affect power and MPG
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 7:14pm On Mar 21, 2013
au.hanson:

Please what do you mean by 'universal cone' filter? Are you talking about the 'drier' or something else ? Are you talking about the air filter in the PVC as in the case of Benz? How does it affect power and mpg? I am interested in everything that affect power and MPG

It serves as the airfilter. You simply change the conventional airfilter element and replace with the cone filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

Please note that such filters are designed or built for race, because of the added power and noise it produces when in action. It maybe illegal in some countries for non race cars to install it.

Note that once you install it, your engine sound will change and sound aggresively when under heavy acceleration. They are designed for speed and the sounds are there to give you the feel of the speed you are doing.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Hajynas: 12:52am On Mar 23, 2013
Hey lion owners.....my pop used a 504 for 23 yrs n it's still roaring though he later added other brands...I own a 406 for jus 2yrs now n it's in GUD shape. Jus glad to be here. May b soon I might step up to a 407 grin

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 12:11pm On Mar 23, 2013
Peugeot VIN Lookup

http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/Topic122354.aspx

http://www.autocalculator.org/VIN/Peugeot-VIN-Decoder.aspx

*Note that Peugeot VIN doesnt contain the model year.

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by pure2012soul(m): 10:03pm On Mar 23, 2013
@Ikenna. Thanks. My Lion is still sound. The Odometre is at 72k sha.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 3:28pm On Mar 24, 2013
Called a Peugeot tokunbo parts seller few days ago, to make some enquiries for someone on auto to manual trans conversion of 406. And these are what i gathered:

1. AL4 auto transmission (Tokunbo) cost 250k, especially the D9 V6 406 auto tranny (due to scarcity). Difficult to find one that still work.

2. 406 petrol I4 manual tranny cost 20k (but one can get it at 15k, depending on ones bargaining power).

3. 406 V6 D9 manual tranny cost 80k (due to 406 V6 scarcity in Nigeria; doesn't sell in Nigeria).

4. Conversion of I4 auto tranny to manual tranny of 406, will cost between 75-100k (gearbox, clutch components, gear selectors, labour, etc).

Ikenna.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Shadddy: 3:38pm On Mar 24, 2013
Hajy nas: Hey lion owners.....my pop used a 504 for 23 yrs n it's still roaring though he later added other brands...I own a 406 for jus 2yrs now n it's in GUD shape. Jus glad to be here. May b soon I might step up to a 407 grin
Any Idea hw much a 607 lioness can go for? I am seriously in need of it.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:05pm On Mar 24, 2013
Shadddy:

From what i gathered from a friend that lives in France, he has a friend in France that presently own 607 with EW12 engine. This year makes it the 5th year the car has been with him and has never let him down. All he does is the regular servicing: change of engine oil and filter, spark plugs replacements, change of brake pads, etc. My friend is now telling me that he is hunting for one for himself, after seeing how reliable and durable a 607 with EW12 engine can be.

If you are really interested in 607, go for the phase II (2004 - 2010 model). The phase I 607, 1999-2003, had VAN-BUS electrical system, which were reported had some issues with the owners of those early models of 607. The phase II introduced 607 was introduced with a CAN-BUS electrical system, a better system, which resolved some of the issues with the earlier models.

And never you make the mistake of buying a 607 with auto transmission. If that AL4 transmission fail on you, the cost of replacing it can get you a small usable car. Better go for the flawless manual tranny. But if it must be auto tranny car that you want, then forget about the 607 and go for another brand with reliable auto transmission, at least, one that wont cost an arm to replace when it fails.

I dont know how a clean tokunbo 607 will cost, since am not a car dealer. But I believe it shouldnt cost more than 1.5m. It may even cost less than that. Will ask a friend who is a dealer and get back to you.

One more thing, stay away from RHD - LHD converted 607. Dont say you werent told.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Shadddy: 4:57pm On Mar 24, 2013
Ikenna351:

From what i gathered from a friend that lives in France, he has a friend in France that presently own 607 with EW12 engine. This year makes it the 5th year the car has been with him and has never let him down. All he does is the regular servicing: change of engine oil and filter, spark plugs replacements, change of brake pads, etc. My friend is now telling me that he is hunting for one for himself, after seeing how reliable and durable a 607 with EW12 engine can be.

If you are really interested in 607, go for the phase II (2004 - 2010 model). The phase I 607, 1999-2003, had VAN-BUS electrical system, which were reported had some issues with the owners of those early models of 607. The phase II introduced 607 was introduced with a CAN-BUS electrical system, a better system, which resolved some of the issues with the earlier models.

And never you make the mistake of buying a 607 with auto transmission. If that AL4 transmission fail on you, the cost of replacing it can get you a small usable car. Better go for the flawless manual tranny. But if it must be auto tranny car that you want, then forget about the 607 and go for another brand with reliable auto transmission, at least, one that wont cost an arm to replace when it fails.

I dont know how a clean tokunbo 607 will cost, since am not a car dealer. But I believe it shouldnt cost more than 1.5m. It may even cost less than that. Will ask a friend who is a dealer and get back to you.

One more thing, stay away from RHD - LHD converted 607. Dont say you werent told.

Ikenna.

Thanks Bro. I appreciate
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 8:00pm On Mar 24, 2013
Shadddy:

In France, 607 manual trans phase II with EW12 is expensive. It cost €7,000+. The V6 cost less (€3,000+).

Well, if you are crazy about the 607, becareful in your hunt for the car. If you are in Abuja, you can find a good one in town. But becareful they dont give you RHD convert. Remember, phase II manual trans, no matter the engine you want to settle for.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by auhanson(m): 4:11pm On Mar 25, 2013
Ikenna351:

It serves as the airfilter. You simply change the conventional airfilter element and replace with the cone filter.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

Please note that such filters are designed or built for race, because of the added power and noise it produces when in action. It maybe illegal in some countries for non race cars to install it.

Note that once you install it, your engine sound will change and sound aggresively when under heavy acceleration. They are designed for speed and the sounds are there to give you the feel of the speed you are doing.

Ikenna

Oh yeah! i like this, let me digress you a little bro,express permission from all lions: i need this stuff for my benz c180.Is there any one i can order that could fit in there, and definitely replace this car air filter, with such resultant effects as in: power and fuel economy with the sporty note sound as you state above?
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 12:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
Guys, am now an owner of 406 V6 manual transmission D9 (Tokunbo), factory LHD,with 210 hp, THE KING OF THE FOXES! cool

The Beast is packed right now in my compound. I really thank God for making it a reality.

Ikenna.

5 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 12:54pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ikenna351: Guys, am now an owner of 406 V6 manual transmission D9 (Tokunbo), with 210 hp, THE KING OF FOX! cool

The Beast is packed right now in my compound. I really thank God for making it a reality.

Ikenna.

Congrats o! Finally!
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by auhanson(m): 1:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
Congrats my guy, i'm now celebrating with you overhere with your 210hp manual tranny beast-thats a machine smiley
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by ziccoit: 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ikenna351: Guys, am now an owner of 406 V6 manual transmission D9 (Tokunbo), factory LHD,with 210 hp, THE KING OF THE FOXES! cool

Ikenna.

Oga show us pics o. I'm dying to see that joo.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 2:49pm On Mar 26, 2013
ziccoit:

Pics sizes are too large to upload here. Am too tired to do the resizing thing. I will post them in Aussiefrogs and post the links here.

Ikenna
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 4:18pm On Mar 26, 2013
ziccoit:

Feed your eyes! cheesy

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103845&p=1150374#post1150374

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by ziccoit: 5:03pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ikenna351:

Feed your eyes! cheesy

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103845&p=1150374#post1150374

Ikenna.

Fine car. If I may ask, how much did u land the machine? ziccoit@gmail.com

Meanwhile, I have registered with "aussiefrogs" using u as my referrer.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Amaizu(m): 10:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
Congrats man,just today,i was talking to a rewire on helping source the 406 V6 for you.Congrats
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 10:57am On Mar 28, 2013
I have been busy since yesterday, trying to sort one or two things out with my newly acquired 406 V6.

The car was shipped from Germany. It came with Log book or History (or whatever its called). I have with me all the services done under warranty and other major services up to 120,000 km. I have been trying to see if the previous owner has replaced the timing belt, which must be stated in one of those receipts of the work done. Unfortunately, Ikenna doesn't understand German. Please, does anyone here understand German, to help me translate them, biko! grin

Anyway, the shipping and custom papers show that the car landed in Lagos port in November, 2012. While inspecting the car last week before the purchase, I observed that they have abused the fans connection by connecting it directly to switch on as soon as the ignition is on. I really wonder what is wrong with Nigerians. A car that is barely 5 months in Nigeria yet to be sold had already been abused. Anyway, it didn't discourage me from going ahead with the purchase.

Yesterday, after work, I decided to revert back the radiator fans connection to factory. I opened the fans relay housing and saw that one the 3 relays that controls the 3 speeds of the 2 fans was removed and connection bypassed. The remaining 2 relays were there, but the connections were bypassed as well. So, I pulled out one of the relays to look for exact one for the 3rd one removed. But before I left in search for the relay, I decided to find out what must have made them run the fans direct to ignition switch, probably, an overheating issue. The first place I checked, the coolant reservoir cap, was the culprit. The cap seal was broken, so the system was no longer sealed off, which would cause overheating. And am afraid to say that it appears they removed the thermostat as well. The things some of these car dealers do! angry

I bought both the reservoir cap and additional relay, came back, reversed the fans connection to factory, put back the 3 relays, swapped in the new reservoir cap and started the car. The fans started working as factory again. That annoying speed 3 noisy sound from those fans had stopped. The fans now only switch to speed 3 only when on AC and the engine is idling.

So, if you stay in Abuja and would want to reverse your radiator fans back to factory (if they have abused yours), you can bring it over to my place to help you to do that.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by bigx(m): 11:31am On Mar 28, 2013
Lol they decided to "tropicalise" the car.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 11:46am On Mar 28, 2013
Meanwhile, I priced the ES9J4S timing belt (timing belt for all petrol V6 in 406, 407, 605, 607 & 807) that same yesterday. The belt is very much available in Abuja, in abundance. The price is 13k, though some were selling it 15k. I even took pics of the belt and the pack. I have seen the belt with that brand several times on sale on ebay. So, I want to believe its genuine.

If I could find out the mileage the previous owner change the timing belt, it will help me prepare and work towards replacing the kits at the next 80,000-100,000 km. But I wouldn't mind to replace it anytime soon, which I would like to replace the belt myself. Unfortunately, they don't sell the timing belt of that engine with complete kits here in Nigeria: Timing belt, 3 Idlers and 1 Tensioner. Water pump is sold separately. Even when I asked, they didn't understand what I meant by Idlers and Tensioners.

I also priced the Thermostat of that engine and its 10k. Hmm! Then the water pump is 18k.

The thing about this V6 engine is that the timing belt is meant to be replaced once every 10 years or 80,000 km. I don't think spending about 50k to do such a major service once every 10 years is too much for such a powerful engine, since its worth it.

Note that ES9J4S, the V6 engine in 406 D9, was produced by Peugeot and Porsche. Though, originally, the V6 engine, ES9J4, in D8 406 & '98 model 605 V6, was co-produced by Peugeot & Renault. But in phase II 406, Peugeot gave Porsche the engine to re-design and re-produce and refine it. It then came out with 210 hp, which previously as ES9J4 had 194 hp. So, imagine an engine Renault, Peugeot and Porsche co-produced! I took the car for some fun on an expressway last night and the car was simply a Beast! Rocket is an understatement.

Funny enough, the car average 39 mpg (7.2L/100 km) on highway and 20 mpg (13.7L/100 km) in the city, when driven on average speed. I still wonder why people complain that V6 consumes too much fuel.

The car has 16" Alloy wheels, which is not the car spec. The 406 V6 D9 wheel spec is 205/60 R15. So, I may not be getting the complete factory mpg of the Beast due to the larger wheel and tyres. The car came with 205/55 R16 (which I believed were changed by the previous owner). So, the difference in the factory mpg wont be much. But Mehn! The stability those large 16" wheels and the wider tyres gave the car that yesterday on the expressway was awesome. The car was just on the ground, moving like a tank and speeding like Rocket! cool

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by abdulkadir(m): 2:17pm On Mar 28, 2013
Ikenna351: Guys, am now an owner of 406 V6 manual transmission D9 (Tokunbo), factory LHD,with 210 hp, THE KING OF THE FOXES! cool

Ikenna.

good to hear this.
so happy for you. Wish you all d goodies that come with it bro.
enjoy.
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 9:51pm On Mar 28, 2013
I was discussing with someone yesterday and i gathered that cleaning car with just water and cloth kills the car body paint. And i have been suspecting this because i noticed this on my 605 V6 before it was sold. I usually just use soaked cloth to wipe out dust or dirt when am too lazy or in a hurry to wash with car wash/car body liquid detergent. And before i knew it, the paint started fading, to a point that it became so bad. But i wasnt sure what could cause that. But now, I know.

I know some of us here are already aware, but for those of us who didnt know before now, I would advice we leave the car to be dirty until we can wash with car wash. Even if you wash your car at the commercial car wash places, make sure they use the proper liquid soap

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by yanmata(m): 5:51am On Mar 29, 2013
Congrats Ikenna. I am enjoying my 406 v6 like mad. I travelled to owo(ondo state)from Abuja n return to Abuja sameday on a single tank!

Congrats bro...to hell with Japanese rides.

3 Likes

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 6:22am On Mar 30, 2013
yanmata: Congrats Ikenna. I am enjoying my 406 v6 like mad. I travelled to owo(ondo state)from Abuja n return to Abuja sameday on a single tank!

Congrats bro...to hell with Japanese rides.

Hello House! congrats to Ikenna for his new fox. well am next, wd be going to Cotonou after the Easter break to get a Fox myself, any timely tips from house members will be appreciated. One thing I ve bin trying to verify is if d milage of a 406 can actually be tampered with or can I trust wateva milage I see on cars in Cotonou.Ur informed contributions will be appreciated.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by Ikenna351(m): 5:50pm On Mar 30, 2013
wisesystem:

Hello House! congrats to Ikenna for his new fox. well am next, wd be going to Cotonou after the Easter break to get a Fox myself, any timely tips from house members will be appreciated. One thing I ve bin trying to verify is if d milage of a 406 can actually be tampered with or can I trust wateva milage I see on cars in Cotonou.Ur informed contributions will be appreciated.

Honestly, i dont know if Peugeot mileage can be tampared. But i do know there are other ways of knowing how true the mileage on the instrument cluster is.

Ask for the service history of the car. You will know the true mileage from there, if the car has one. Mine came with service history. When i mean service history, i mean it came with all the papers that contains all the services done on the car under warranty and after the warranty, upto 120,000 km mileage service. All the receipts bearing dates were also included, all bearing the mileage at which the services were done. From there, you can know if truly the mileage on the instrument cluster is correct. But its likely that not all would have service history, since not all previous owners would sale their cars with them, unless the buyer specifically ask for them. But i would also suspect any car that didnt come with service history, if the mileage is too low to be believed, because car dealers can do and undo.

Another tip is how to know the model year. If you are after a particular model in Peugeot, dont listen to what the dealers would tell you as the model year, check the door glasses, you will see it there clearly stamped. You will see some figures on the bottom of the door glasses/windows. Check the last digits on the last line. You could see something like

The 0 means 2000 model. The same way, if you see .....1, .....3, 5....., 7.... etc, it means 2001, 2003, 1995 or 1997 model. Thats how Peugeot states the production year of their cars. I mean all Peugeots. I used to think my 505 V6 was 1987 model until i bought this 406 where i learnt how to check the model year of Peugeots. I quickly checked my 505 door glasses and realized its 1986 model, not '87 model. I have the pic of what it looks like on the door windows, but it wont upload here and i dont have the strength of this resizing thing. If you want to see it, mail me your email address and i would send the pic to you.

And dont bother checking the VIN online for the year model, because Peugeot dont put the production year in the VIN like other brands. You can only find out the year model of Peugeot with VIN via Service Box, if you are an authorised dealer.
Wish you goodluck.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 6:40pm On Mar 30, 2013
[quote author=Ikenna351]like
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 6:46pm On Mar 30, 2013
[quote author=
Re: Peugeot: Cars With Attitude! by wisesystem: 7:02pm On Mar 30, 2013
Ikenna351:

Honestly, i dont know if Peugeot mileage can be tampared. But i do know there are other ways of knowing how true the mileage on the instrument cluster is.

Ask for the service history of the car. You will know the true mileage from there, if the car has one. Mine came with service history. When i mean service history, i mean it came with all the papers that contains all the services done on the car under warranty and after the warranty, upto 120,000 km mileage service. All the receipts bearing dates were also included, all bearing the mileage at which the services were done. From there, you can know if truly the mileage on the instrument cluster is correct. But its likely that not all would have service history, since not all previous owners would sale their cars with them, unless the buyer specifically ask for them. But i would also suspect any car that didnt come with service history, if the mileage is too low to be believed, because car dealers can do and undo.

Another tip is how to know the model year. If you are after a particular model in Peugeot, dont listen to what the dealers would tell you as the model year, check the door glasses, you will see it there clearly stamped. You will see some figures on the bottom of the door glasses/windows. Check the last digits on the last line. You could see something like

The 0 means 2000 model. The same way, if you see .....1, .....3, 5....., 7.... etc, it means 2001, 2003, 1995 or 1997 model. Thats how Peugeot states the production year of their cars. I mean all Peugeots. I used to think my 505 V6 was 1987 model until i bought this 406 where i learnt how to check the model year of Peugeots. I quickly checked my 505 door glasses and realized its 1986 model, not '87 model. I have the pic of what it looks like on the door windows, but it wont upload here and i dont have the strength of this resizing thing. If you want to see it, mail me your email address and i would send the pic to you.

And dont bother checking the VIN online for the year model, because Peugeot dont put the production year in the VIN like other brands. You can only find out the year model of Peugeot with VIN via Service Box, if you are an authorised dealer.
Wish you goodluck.

Ikenna.

thanks a lot bro, Ill watch out for to-good-to-be-true milage. Also from previous threads I think I know all the tell tales of a converted 406(touch poweer button on left side, awkward wiper blades, long throtle cable etc) what u ve just said on knowing the year of production is really amazing, one neva stops learning things. pls here s my e mail: wisesystem2002@gmail.com kindly include price range for a clean 2002 or 2003 406 using ur purchase experience in the mail u ll send pls. not to wori I stay in makurdi but come to Abuja every forthnight wit my wife for her buisness so I promise u ll get to see what i get. lastly, why did u choose lagos over cotonou for your 406? thanks...

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (100) (Reply)

The Official Car Comparison/Recommendation Thread / How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / Car Talk Chat Room

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.