Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,310 members, 7,815,564 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

Scientists Near AIDS Cure - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Scientists Near AIDS Cure (586 Views)

UNIBEN Professor Recants HIV/AIDS Cure Discovery / UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim / Hiv/aids Cure - How The West Deceives Nigeria – Jacob Abdulahi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Scientists Near AIDS Cure by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 30, 2012
WITH the acclaimed cure of three persons after bone marrow transplants and approval of a drug, Truvada, that can prevent transmission, scientists are now more optimistic than ever in overcoming the Human Immuno-deficiency Virus (HIV)/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) epidemic.

Three men, who have had HIV for years, may now be free of the disease following bone marrow transplants. Also, the United States (U.S.) Food and Drug Administration (FDA), last week, approved Truvada to prevent HIV infection, combined with an over-the-counter test to be sold from fourth quarter of this year, which hold the potential to slow transmission of the virus that causes AIDS.

The global AIDS community at the end of its biennial meeting, XIX International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2012), over the weekend in Washington DC, United States, said the end of the AIDS epidemic was possible with sustained financial, political and scientific commitment.

Scientific, political and community leaders called for collaborative partnerships and investments in research, treatment and prevention to turn the tide on HIV.

They said it is only with co-ordinated efforts to expand HIV prevention and treatment initiatives, integrate HIV programmes into broader health services, maintain funding, and improve human rights across vulnerable populations will the international community begin to end the AIDS epidemic.

As delegates and organisers depart Washington DC where the conference opened on July 22 under the theme: “Turning the Tide Together, they understand that though a vaccine or cure is still necessary, scaling up resources and the tools available today has the potential to save millions of lives.

AIDS 2012 drew nearly 24,000 participants from 183 countries. The week-long programme featured 194 sessions covering science, community and leadership. The conference was supported by almost 1,000 volunteers from all over the U.S. and other countries.

AIDS 2012 International Chair, President of the International AIDS Society (IAS) and Professor of Medicine at Makerere University in Kampala, Uganda, Elly Katabira, said: “AIDS 2012 has brought delegates together from around the world to Washington DC – with one aim in mind – to turn the tide on the HIV epidemic. We have seen breaking science, exciting strategising for a cure, sessions for the young and old affected by HIV, to name just a few. The success of the Global Village and the Youth Programme has galvanised the efforts of the activists and young scientists who will be the future of our fight to end AIDS.

“As International Chair, I would like to commend everyone for their tireless efforts to make AIDS 2012 a truly great conference, and I urge delegates to maintain the momentum.”

AIDS 2012 U.S. Co-Chair and professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco, Diane Havlir, said: “AIDS 2012 represented many milestones in the history of the International AIDS Conference, but most importantly, it is the first time we have been united around the one goal to end AIDS.

“Serious dialogue is now happening about collaboration among the diverse communities involved in this effort – science, advocacy, faith, and vulnerable populations. In the face of all of this optimism, I am humbled by the job ahead of us, but this meeting has inspired me. I know we will keep moving toward our shared goal of ending AIDS.”

Incoming IAS President and AIDS 2014 International Conference Chair, Prof. Françoise Barré-Sinoussi, gave an inaugural address. Barré-Sinoussi, a Nobel Laureate, is Director of the Regulation of Retroviral Infections Unit at the Institute Pasteur in Paris.

At the conclusion of the closing session, Katabira, Havlir and Barré-Sinoussi officially transferred the International AIDS Conference globe from Washington DC, to Melbourne, Australia, which will host the XX International AIDS Conference in July 2014. Accepting the globe for Melbourne were AIDS 2014 Australia Chair, Sharon Lewin, a professor of Medicine at Monash University, and representatives of the AIDS 2014 local partners.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93891:scientists-near-aids-cure&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Lose Weight O... / I Don't Want To Get Fat, Pls Help / Please Help A Brother Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.