Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,990 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:23 PM

National Health Insurance Scheme - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / National Health Insurance Scheme (12531 Views)

National Health Insurance Scheme And State Own Hospitals. / Nhis(national Health Insurance Scheme) / National Health Insurance Scheme- Another white elephant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Health Insurance Scheme by Nobody: 10:14am On Jul 31, 2012
Hi guys, anybody know anything about NHIS? I'd like to know how one can get on the program and what benefits and downsides there are to it.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by DisGuy: 6:14pm On Sep 04, 2012
Does anyone know how this work or more specifically is anyone on NL registered?

What are the benefits

What are the alternatives?
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 04, 2012
Dis Guy: Does anyone know how this work or more specifically is anyone on NL registered?

What are the benefits

What are the alternatives?

I'm still waiting to learn. Thanks for moving the enquiry.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by bbpreye2: 10:16pm On Sep 11, 2012
I think they have an office at the military hospital portharcourt, along GARRIson bustop!
BBPREYE
BBPREYE
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by bola4dprec(m): 10:20pm On Sep 11, 2012
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by DisGuy: 10:24pm On Sep 11, 2012
bola4dprec: check here http://www.nhis.gov.gh/?CategoryID=216

that's Ghana
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by kingrhirhs(m): 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2012
.1 u must b a federal worker. 2 . joint as a memba of a commu8ty or gn 2 nihs nigeria
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by CyberG: 11:13pm On Sep 11, 2012
.bbpreye:
I think they have an office at the military hospital portharcourt, along GARRIson bustop!
BBPREYE
BBPREYE

This guy must be a complete foo.l for all this nonsense! When will you grow a brain and stop all these childishness? Ewu awusa! angry angry
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by bola4dprec(m): 11:20pm On Sep 11, 2012
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Everest9(m): 11:24pm On Sep 11, 2012
thanks for the links i will check it out
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by DisGuy: 11:32pm On Sep 11, 2012
bola4dprec: www.nhis.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=31&Itemid=65

Any one with actually experience not just the link, we know their website, just like we know the website for SERVICOM
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by bola4dprec(m): 11:48pm On Sep 11, 2012
Dis Guy:

Any one with actually experience not just the link, we know their website, just like we know the website for SERVICOM
well I partner with one of the helth service provider, any federal civil servant entitled to register with hmo after four months your registration will be materialise and start enjoy free health service
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by AjanleKoko: 12:20am On Sep 12, 2012
Ihedinobi: Hi guys, anybody know anything about NHIS? I'd like to know how one can get on the program and what benefits and downsides there are to it.

I presume you need health insurance.
What you need to do is sign up with an HMO. There are lots of them. Go here.

Dis Guy:

Experience with what?
Individuals don't have any business with NHIS. You're supposed to be going to the health insurance companies.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 12, 2012
Thank you so much, guys.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by DisGuy: 12:30am On Sep 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I presume you need health insurance.
What you need to do is sign up with an HMO. There are lots of them. Go here.

Experience with what?
Individuals don't have any business with NHIS. You're supposed to be going to the health insurance companies.

I mean what happens after I'm registered with a provider,
what if I'm not a civil servant?

If I have a car accident would I contact the HMO first or would I just give the 'insurance number' to the hospital/doctor
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by AjanleKoko: 12:38am On Sep 12, 2012
Dis Guy:

I mean what happens after I'm registered with a provider,
what if I'm not a civil servant?

If I have a car accident would I contact the HMO first or would I just give the 'insurance number' to the hospital/doctor

HMO registration has nothing to do with being a civil servant. It's just a medical insurance policy from an insurance company. You can sign up to any HMO you want, just like you would take out an insurance policy or open a bank account with any bank of your choice.

We use the American model in Nigeria. The HMO steers you towards the provider. If you signed up with, say, Total Health Trust, then they give you a list of hospitals that you can register with. Private hospitals that is.

So when you have a car accident, three things can happen, depending on how serious your injury is:

1. If you can get away from the scene by yourself, go to the hospital you're registered to, and get yourself treated.

2. If you're not able to get away from the scene by yourself, but you're conscious, you can call the HMO and they will take it from there. Hopefully your HMO plan will support ambulatory care, in which case they can come get you and take you to hospital.

3. You are not conscious. So nobody there will know what HMO you're registered to. In Lagos, someone just needs to call 767 or 112 (emergency services), and the Lagos State Ambulance services will come get you and take you to the government General Hospitals. They treat anybody, and will at least stabilize you. Hopefully the doctors won't be on strike lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by DisGuy: 12:41am On Sep 12, 2012
AjanleKoko:

HMO registration has nothing to do with being a civil servant. It's just a medical insurance policy from an insurance company. You can sign up to any HMO you want, just like you would take out an insurance policy or open a bank account with any bank of your choice.

We use the American model in Nigeria. The HMO steers you towards the provider. If you signed up with, say, Total Health Trust, then they give you a list of hospitals that you can register with. Private hospitals that is.

So when you have a car accident, three things can happen, depending on how serious your injury is:

1. If you can get away from the scene by yourself, go to the hospital you're registered to, and get yourself treated.

2. If you're not able to get away from the scene by yourself, but you're conscious, you can call the HMO and they will take it from there. Hopefully your HMO plan will support ambulatory care, in which case they can come get you and take you to hospital.

3. You are not conscious. So nobody there will know what HMO you're registered to. In Lagos, someone just needs to call 767 or 112 (emergency services), and the Lagos State Ambulance services will come get you and take you to the government General Hospitals. They treat anybody, and will at least stabilize you. Hopefully the doctors won't be on strike lipsrsealed

Many many thanks
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by ministergh: 1:02am On Sep 12, 2012
In ghana this is how the nhis works...any person under the scheme can visit and public health facility and about 95 percent of private health facility to access healthcare when sick without paying a anything. pregnant women,new born children, nursing mothers(first 3 months after birth) and elders 70 and above do not hav to pay anything to join the scheme and receive care.there are drugs listed under the scheme and it is on an occassion where a specific drug not under the scheme is prescribed that the patient may be required to pay with cash for that drug only. Hospital admission cost,opd and every service received free. It is compuuterised so health caan be aacccessed in every hospital accross the country. Every scheme member has a unique code that is easily traced on the national server. A small premium is paid each year...that is about 20 cedis or 2000 naira if am right.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by ministergh: 1:11am On Sep 12, 2012
Ghana national health insurance scheme was established by an act of parliament. When u have an accident u will be rushed to any hospital forr treatment and if after treatment you are on the national scheme u just go home. If not you pay the cost as in the old cash and carry system. The purpose of the scheme in ghana is to do away with cash and carry and make health affordable and accessible.I have beeen to hospital 3 times this year and have paid nothing.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by AjanleKoko: 1:13am On Sep 12, 2012
^^
O . . .kay. Should we come get some healthcare in Ghana then? wink
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by ministergh: 1:27am On Sep 12, 2012
Just helping our buddy with his quest for knowledge on the operation of a health insurance. The ghana case is one that is worth monitoring. So whiles it may not serve ur purpose it helps my friend deepen his knowledge base on the operation of a true national insurance.

AjanleKoko: ^^
O . . .kay. Should we come get some healthcare in Ghana then? wink
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by AjanleKoko: 1:36am On Sep 12, 2012
ministergh: Just helping our buddy with his quest for knowledge on the operation of a health insurance. The ghana case is one that is worth monitoring. So whiles it may not serve ur purpose it helps my friend deepen his knowledge base on the operation of a true national insurance.

Ghana, by your narrative, seems to use the British model.
We operate the American model in Nigeria. Everybody pays. If you don't want to pay anything, go to the public hospitals.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Kirinwa: 3:52am On Sep 12, 2012
I am registered with NHIS curtsey of the Federal government NYSC scheme.Just visit any FMC hospital in your state you will get all the info you need. God bless.

It's not free o.It was paid for by FG to the tune of 50,000 naira.It seems like when it is exhausted you are on your own.A friend of mine also on the scheme went to get a check up for malaria. Doctor just scribbled some drugs without my Guy even getting tested and billed him 10,000 naira shocked My Guy had to find his way home. Maka Y? undecided
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by bbpreye2: 4:57am On Sep 12, 2012
CyberG:

This guy must be a complete foo.l for all this nonsense! When will you grow a brain and stop all these childishness? Ewu awusa! angry angry

For your info there is a military hospital in ph before GARRIson bustop! So before u drop ur comment check if ur in ur right senses!
U don't just throw words at people as u please.
Fowl yansh like you! Retardeeeen!

1 Like

Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Leopantro: 7:15am On Sep 12, 2012
if you are on the plan you are expected to pay 10% of the total bill and the government will pay the remaining. it is a basic health care policy for typical Nigerians but it has its issues

1. treatment depends on your ailment. if its a serious medical condition or cancer you are covered up to N50000 after which you are on your own.

2. you do not have access to strong medications ie rather than use an effective but costly antibiotic to treat you, treatment would start with the most simple drugs and watchfully treat you as you respond.

3. they would rather prefer you were not admitted because getting approval for admissions is cumbersome.

4. if you are admitted you are do entitled to just 5 days of admission after which you are expected to pay.

5. there is a limit to the number and type of investigations you you have access to.

i could go on and on
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by FBS: 8:14am On Sep 12, 2012
If you are based in Abuja, then check on the pros at Zenith Medicare at Wuse II. They will explain to you all that you need to know.

1 Like

Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Goodays(m): 9:07am On Sep 12, 2012
The NHIS is a health insurance scheme that guarantee you treatments in any hospital. Note that getting into NHIS scheme is not done by a single individual. Now here is how its done, the NHIS have different program that one can get into which are : The public sector(which has to do with civil servant of any organization), 2. Community program (which has to do with a set of selected individual from each state) and the last one I can not remember. But for full information you can come to NHIS corporate head office at Utako district after Chida Hotel.
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by sexyverah(f): 9:22am On Sep 12, 2012
i jus stop by to say hi
Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Notfree: 9:55am On Sep 12, 2012
This is a dynamic scheme established by the Federal Government to provide affordable, accessible, and qualitative healthcare to Nigerians using a nationwide network of accredited hospitals.
You can register for Voluntary contribution Social Insurance program
Contact any MAAYOIT HEALTHCARE OFFICES Nationwide
or log onto https://www.nhisonline.com.ng/ for more info
you can call this number 08104039943..Ben or 08161785593
thanks

1 Like

Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by Notfree: 10:28am On Sep 12, 2012
MAAYOIT HEALTH CARE Ltd IS a Health Maintence Organization accredited by NHIS to carry out the business of managed healthcare in Nig.
It is one of the HMO approved to carry out the Voluntary Contributor Social Health Insurance Scheme (VCSHIP), you will have to buy the NHIS voucher from the HMO, register online and HMO will capture ur biometrics. there is a waiting period of 2mnths after registration.

1 Like

Re: National Health Insurance Scheme by owoka4real(m): 12:45pm On Sep 12, 2012
@Ihedinobi there are so many Health maintenance organisation that helps to run the scheme, one is United healthcare int. ltd, they have branches across Nigeria, for more information you can visit www.unitedhealthcare-ng.com or contact this number 07043936217

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Experience With A Nigerian Clinical Psychologist. / Any Alternative To Brushing Teeth? / Woman Marks 10th Anniversary Of Surviving Ovarian Cyst

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.