Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,733 members, 7,817,017 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

Red Hat & Canonical Are 'traitors' To Open Source - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Red Hat & Canonical Are 'traitors' To Open Source (940 Views)

Problem In Installing Linux Red Hat On Vmware For Windows Workstation / Cybera: The Best (free & Open Source) Cybercafe Software I Have Found So Far. / Freedom Toaster: Open Source CD Burning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Red Hat & Canonical Are 'traitors' To Open Source by Maleeq(m): 11:01am On Jul 31, 2012

Red Hat, Canonical 'Traitors' To Open Source: OpenBSD Founder

In an interview with ITWire, Theo de Raadt, the founder of the OpenBSD project and a prominent figure in the Open Source world called Linux giants, Red Hat and Canonical as ‘traitors’ for working with Microsoft's secure boot system. "I fully understand that Red Hat and Canonical won't be doing the right thing, they are traitors to the cause, mostly in it for the money and power. They want to be the new Microsoft," de Raadt told ITWire.

Since the announcement of Windows 8, Secure boot, via the Universal Extensible Firmware Interface, has created a lot of stir in the open source community. Many critics termed the Secure boot move by Microsoft as an anti-competitive act, as they feel that it tries to abandon the installation of alternative operating systems, thus, forcing computer makers to comply with Microsoft's secure boot standards.

This has made things difficult for Linux developers. Red Hat and Canonical both have opted to simply follow Microsoft's plans to avoid a dip in usage by purchasing the required keys for secure boot via Universal Extensible Firmware Interface.

"I sense that disaster is coming, and hope that someone has the moral strength to do the right thing," de Raadt told ITWire. Similarly, Richard Stallman also referred to UEFI as a "disaster" in a recent interview with Bytes Media, saying that the practice amounts to "abuse of the users. I think it ought to be illegal."
Source: RedHat & Canonical Are Traitors

(1) (Reply)

Reduce Your Electrical Bill Up To 80% Of Your Salary / Fresh Spamming Tools Ready. / UK Used Laptop HP250

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.