Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,949 members, 7,952,831 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:45 AM

How Come You Are African? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Come You Are African? (4776 Views)

Achebe: How Come ' The Father Of African Literature' Did Not Win The Nobel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Come You Are African? by afroxyz: 2:37pm On Jul 31, 2012
You say you are African,
But you bear the names of the British and Americans.
Your fake hair looks fetish and is Brazilian,
Or probably gotten from a monk's temple in India.
Your face is like an artist's canvas,
A colorful fracas.
Yet you claim to be African.

You have no regards for your brothers
You are fed and stringed by the voices of aliens
Using ethnic and linguistic differences to instigate pogroms, infanticides and murders.
How quick you forget when you were once trade partners
Exchanging commodities across the nile through barter
I doubt you are African

Because if you are, how come you glorify alien gods?
Whatever happened to Ifa, Sango and Horus?
Of course,
The new religions gave you an escape route for your vices,
That's why swearing by Ofo would never suffice.
They said your gods are evil,
Their shrines you have destroyed and levelled.
But in their museums, the artifacts you pay view.
Who is the greater devil?
I doubt you are African.

11 Likes

Re: How Come You Are African? by Basic(m): 12:43pm On Oct 03, 2012
I guess the moderator was bribed to move this to the front page.
Just a guess...
Re: How Come You Are African? by Afam4eva(m): 12:44pm On Oct 03, 2012
You say you are African, yet you watch CNN and BBC instead of sticking to NTA channel 5 ans 10

You say you are African yet you go to KFC instead of branching into mama Nkechi or Iya Wasiu's joint

You say you're African yet you drink Heineken instead of Tombo(palm wine)

You say you're African yet you go to school instead of going to your village to farm

You say you are African, yet you drive the flashiest of cars instead of riding the village bicycle

You say you're African yet you wear clothes instead of walking buck nakked

The moral of this is that if we really want to be African then we'll have to forfeit majority of the things we use today. let's stop deceiving ourselves. My major concern is that our people don't forget their culture or language while importing some of these western ideals. There should be a meeeting point.

5 Likes

Re: How Come You Are African? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 03, 2012
hehehe, abi o. On a serious note, I am African because I am very involved in the culture and hold them dear. I speak the language, I eat the food, I dance to the music, I go to the festivals. I am ingrained in that which makes Africa what it is. So there, that's why I'm African.
Re: How Come You Are African? by DICKtator: 12:49pm On Oct 03, 2012
I never chose to be African, Africa chose me!!!
That is why i'm African.
Proud and i'll say it [size=18pt]loud[/size]
"[size=28pt]WE ARE AFRICANS!!!!. AWU!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size]
grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Come You Are African? by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 03, 2012
ItsModella:
hehehe, abi o. On a serious note, I am Africa because I am very involved in the culture and hold them dear. I speak the language, I eat the food, I dance to the music, I go to the festivals. I am ingrained in that which makes Africa what it is. So there, that's why I'm African.

Thank you sweetie..
I am african cos I love african dishes
Re: How Come You Are African? by ba7man(m): 12:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
@ afam4eva. Lol. I watch CNN and BBC b'cos they're both HD, very colourful,and a lot of passionate people are on the screen.
If Mama Nkechi will package her joint lyk KFC I'll definitely patronize her forever. If Palmwine comes in a 6 pack or lovely looking bottles lyk heineken, why not??
Why in my right mind would I choose a bicycle over a BMW......What i think is Whites are progressive and know how to market and package their goods and services so rather than emulate their passion for delivery, we follow their carrots.

1 Like

Re: How Come You Are African? by Afam4eva(m): 1:02pm On Oct 03, 2012
ba7man: @ afam4eva. Lol. I watch CNN and BBC b'cos they're both HD, very colourful,and a lot of passionate people are on the screen.
If Mama Nkechi will package her joint lyk KFC I'll definitely patronize her forever. If Palmwine comes in a 6 pack or lovely looking bottles lyk heineken, why not??
Why in my right mind would I choose a bicycle over a BMW......What i think is Whites are progressive and know how to market and package their goods and services so rather than emulate their passion for delivery, we follow their carrots.
I was just being sarcastic in my assertion. I was challenging the OPs' intelligence...If we must be African like the OP posited then it must be in every ramification.

2 Likes

Re: How Come You Are African? by ba7man(m): 1:03pm On Oct 03, 2012
......And those that emulate their passion for delivery over here overprice it.
Re: How Come You Are African? by ba7man(m): 1:04pm On Oct 03, 2012
afam4eva:
I was just being sarcastic in my assertion. I was challenging the OPs' intelligence...If we must be African like the OP posited then it must be in every ramification.
Lol, I know, I found your write up funny.
Re: How Come You Are African? by Goldieluks: 1:06pm On Oct 03, 2012
I am African because i uphold my culture with dignity, wherever i find myself in.

1 Like

Re: How Come You Are African? by VolvoS60(m): 1:11pm On Oct 03, 2012
Is there a common agreement on what it means to be African? (Outside our position on a map)

1 Like

Re: How Come You Are African? by Raymondson(m): 1:12pm On Oct 03, 2012
@op, u do know the meaning of the word globalization. U are no more african than the next poster, if u were u would'nt be posting on nairaland now.
Re: How Come You Are African? by Truckpusher(m): 1:17pm On Oct 03, 2012
This op smokes igbo.....
Re: How Come You Are African? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 03, 2012
Africa! A continent, not a lone comunity. Had it been we would have one everything - culture, tradition, language.... In the midst of differences, search for favourable life style and religeon is not prohibited. What we call our own is killing us yet we can't let go just to defend a pride. That is foolishness of the highest order. If holding on to tradition that are barbaric is what makes me African, I rather chose to be foreigner. The truth is that we are a people enclosed in a common area with a common skin colour and language but different ideology. What you know rules you and you rule with by it. I CHOSE JESUS (the one my Bible told of of and that I have known) TO RULE OF AND I RULE BY HIM on matter where He is from.

1 Like

Re: How Come You Are African? by KINGwax(m): 1:23pm On Oct 03, 2012
ba7man: Lol, I know, I found your write up funny.
ehn, start laughing na. Somebody hold ya mouth?
Re: How Come You Are African? by Sitex(m): 1:25pm On Oct 03, 2012
Am african cos am content wt white mans lead
Re: How Come You Are African? by Todaynatoday: 1:30pm On Oct 03, 2012
Sitex: Am african Sitex cos am content wt white mans lead
Fixed

2 Likes

Re: How Come You Are African? by mrperfect(m): 1:58pm On Oct 03, 2012
I'm Africa loving and great continent of the world.
Re: How Come You Are African? by manibuds(m): 2:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
VolvoS60: Is there a common agreement on what it means to be African? (Outside our position on a map)
good question.mr moderator,the need for more 'hits' on this site should not be made too obvious
Re: How Come You Are African? by Ranoscky(m): 2:05pm On Oct 03, 2012
African cos am black. And hey... BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL !!
Re: How Come You Are African? by Clemzy16(m): 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2012
I'm african because i'm Nigerian. NOTE: There is a big difference between your country and your continent.
Re: How Come You Are African? by fhunmey101yaho: 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2012
i am african 'coz i cherish my culture and my country.

1 Like

Re: How Come You Are African? by goofie: 2:13pm On Oct 03, 2012
afam4eva: You say you are African, yet you watch CNN and BBC instead of sticking to NTA channel 5 ans 10

You say you are African yet you go to KFC instead of branching into mama Nkechi or Iya Wasiu's joint

You say you're African yet you drink Heineken instead of Tombo(palm wine)

You say you're African yet you go to school instead of going to your village to farm

You say you are African, yet you drive the flashiest of cars instead of riding the village bicycle

You say you're African yet you wear clothes instead of walking buck nakked

The moral of this is that if we really want to be African then we'll have to forfeit majority of the things we use today. let's stop deceiving ourselves. My major concern is that our people don't forget their culture or language while importing some of these western ideals. There should be a meeeting point.

hilarious! good one.

you say u r African yet u type on a computer rather than use a slate.

3 Likes

Re: How Come You Are African? by tpia5: 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2012
op why dont you finish your creeks of nembe write up instead of embarking on this thread.
Re: How Come You Are African? by sconsults: 2:35pm On Oct 03, 2012
I am not african because i am not poor,hungry,ignorant,superstutious and i do not follow the white mans religion.i am black,igbo and proud.if you are proud of your culture,you wont adopt another mans lie(christianity) while forgeting yours.if your god did not deem it worthy to give us a prophet to guide us,then amadioha is enough for me cool
Re: How Come You Are African? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 03, 2012

(1) (2) (Reply)

'Justice Has Been Kidnapped' - Poem By Efe Paul Azino / [story] The New Form Teacher(rated: 18+)…part 6 / Moon Walker 2 [the Dark Moon] Onyeneke Abel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.