Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,330 members, 7,819,132 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? (62738 Views)

GST111 (use Of English) Term Paper Topics | Uniuyo 2015/2016 / GST111 (Use Of English) Term Paper Topics | Uniuyo 2015/2016 / Five-year Jail Term For Exam Cheats Unfair — ICPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by procy7(m): 4:12pm On Oct 16, 2017
Headgear the Gear is pronounced Girl as in how u pronounce Girl's G not the pronunciation of jeer....
nice one guy...so many people are guilty of making dat wrong pronunciation:-D
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by olureignforever: 4:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
drlaykay:
Osuka is porter's knot

This is the perfect name for "osuka"
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by Kakamorufu(m): 4:56pm On Oct 16, 2017
Fulcrum
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by XYZo: 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2017
tolufase:
Point of correction, both moi-moi and Amala have English names. The English name of Moi-moi is bean budding while that of Amala is yam flower Flour .
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by rollex4ever: 6:02pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pad is the English name for Osuka...
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by DanEmakoji(m): 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2017
Turban
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by JayEntaur(m): 6:19pm On Oct 16, 2017
AdeizaPaul:

Lol you are just improvising all those terms. angry

How can someting fried be a “Cake” and how can Amala be a “paste”? Lmao
Nigerians and their oversabi.

The truth is that those things don’t exist in English.
What is the English name for Nkwobi? Looool

Lmao at "you are just improvising all those terms."

Honestly I wasn't. You can google bean cakes & see for yourself. It's also called bean balls.

The only one I "improvised" for was amala hence I added that I wasn't too sure.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by Adeyemi002: 6:51pm On Oct 16, 2017
Osuka is called load pad
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by Olasigun01(m): 7:17pm On Oct 16, 2017
shadrach77:
Head rest

It is porter's knot confirmed. tnx me later.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by Olasigun01(m): 7:19pm On Oct 16, 2017
Adeyemi002:
Osuka is called load pad
yes, I think U can call it load pad as wel.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by IamHeWrites: 7:24pm On Oct 16, 2017
hucienda:
5 years later ... IamHeWrites helps push desperatem's file to the promised land.

Lols... I think the topic is great... Thats why I called them to push to FP
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by rose54321: 7:26pm On Oct 16, 2017
AdeizaPaul:
Hmmn, Honestly, I have no idea.
Not all part of one language are necessarily translatable into another one, because all language have some pieces of cultural uniqueness that can be found among that region or culture alone.

There are some Yoruba or Ebira words that have no English equivalent.
Eku’Ile in Yoruba for instance has no English translation.

Also- moi-moi and Amala have no English for example.
Etc

Amala is cassava flour..
Nice post though learnt something wad & porter knot.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by mikolo80: 7:41pm On Oct 16, 2017
ogorwyne:

a parge has to do with building construction.
are you an architect?
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by hotspec(m): 7:48pm On Oct 16, 2017
If this post can hit FP, after 5 years it's been posted by d op, who then said I can't make. #Don'tLoseHope
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by babadots: 8:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
Try headpad for one.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by Chukabiz1961(m): 8:11pm On Oct 16, 2017
Pad. anything put in-between to cushion friction is called pad.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by Arijude(m): 8:21pm On Oct 16, 2017
IAMSASHY:
undecided pad
As in head pad. grin
IAMSASHY:
undecided pad
As in head pad.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by soath(m): 8:25pm On Oct 16, 2017
hucienda:
5 years later ... IamHeWrites helps push desperatem's file to the promised land.
I have some FP worthy posts too that never get the necessary attention. Do you have to pay for your posts to be pushed? I guess that's where this is going to.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by waxyung(m): 12:13am On Oct 17, 2017
Osuka is load pad smiley
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by 7ran53nd: 12:28am On Oct 17, 2017
understand that a language evolves from the lives and experiences of its speakers. Osuka is not something the people of Europe use or know so they don't have a word for it just as you cannot have a word for bears or snow in yoruba or igbo because in their experience, those things don't exist. That is also the same reason words are borrowed from languages to others. Tsunami and el nino are not English words for the same reasons.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by IamHeWrites: 2:45pm On Oct 17, 2017
soath:
I have some FP worthy posts too that never get the necessary attention. Do you have to pay for your posts to be pushed? I guess that's where this is going to.

Let me check if them go put it for frontpage
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by GermanMelania: 5:16am On Jan 24, 2020
drealzum:
Lool.........There are many African words that don't have direct translation in English.
There are many words in Hausa I can't remember all now, I use to ask what is the direct translation in English. There is something in Hausa the call "Saraba". Saraba is like that bread you bought on the road when you are travelling.
So they people you give the bread to, You have given them "Saraba". It is not gift. it is similar to gift. Saraba is that thing your mother buys for you(May be fish or something)when she goes to the market. Saraba is gotten from a different location from where the receiver stays. What is Saraba now?

Sounds like a souvenir.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by GermanMelania: 5:21am On Jan 24, 2020
[quote author=XYZo post=61482754][/quote]

Yam flour ia before you cook it. And it is elubo in yoruba. Once u cook it it becomes amala.

It is not a pudding or swallow or any of those things. The english you are stating are descriptions. What is pizza in yoruba? You will tell me there isn't such a thing. But we can call it akara oyibo pelu wara. Who in their right mind thinks akara is same as bread? But it is still used as a place holder for cake in yoruba. Cake is translated as akara oyinbo.

Osuka can be translated a scalp prorector or load balancer. But there isn't a direct translation for this purpose
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by drealzum(m): 8:34am On Jan 24, 2020
GermanMelania:

Sounds like a souvenir.
Yes! That is what it is.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by Mhechelle1: 6:55pm On Mar 09, 2022
The correct English word for 'Oshuka' is 'Wase'.
Re: What Is The English Term For "Osuka"? by dgolber: 6:15pm On Aug 14, 2022
I am reading Soyinka's The Road ... An immense but difficult play. At the beginning, Moreno takes his osuka and leaves. So I ended up here. I agree that "Porter's knot" is exactly right ... Except that "Porter's knot" is obsolete, obscure, and completely unknown to me (I'm a well-educated American). If you say "Porter's knot", I will be looking in dictionaries, almost as bad as if you just said osuka.

Of course the trouble is that there is no such object in modern (or recent) American society, so there is no word for it.

Of the suggestions above, I think "head pad" is the best. "Head rest" is something you put your head on or against.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ladies Pour Water On UNIBEN Final Year Student / Man Disguised As A woman, Sneaked Into Female University Hostel In Port Harcourt / NDU Graduate Murders English On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.