Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,942 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus (2383 Views)

I Need A Help To Write A Simple Login Form Using Vb.net / Vb.net Crystal Report & Dataset / Post Ur Vb 6.0 Questions Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by VURN(m): 3:16pm On Aug 02, 2012
Please, i am building an application for an evening secondary school for adults. The owner of the school wants the application to keep records of the students, compute their result and generate results. Am having proplem in computing result and where am having problem is in positioning each student according to their average scores. I want to read the average of the students from the database and automatically create the position a student falls to and save the position to the student's row. For instance, if there are 5 students with Olu having 63, Chidi having 88, Kazeem having 51, John having 45 and Agbo having 38, it should assign 1st position to Chidi, 2nd position to Olu, 3rd position to Kazeem and so forth till the last which is the 5th position to Agbo. Please help me in any way. I use VB.NET
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by Amee1(m): 9:35pm On Aug 02, 2012
Are u working with mysql or ms access 4 database connection? Anyway post ur error code 4 rectify.
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by VURN(m): 12:22am On Aug 03, 2012
i havent tried any thing yet. Idont even know how to go about the algorithm much less the codeing. I use access database. I want it such that at any pint in time, a selected student will be assigned position in class.
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by wildguy(m): 9:26am On Aug 03, 2012
Its simple. Use the ORDER by syntax in your query.

Like SELECT * from tbINFO order by grades
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by VURN(m): 12:52am On Aug 04, 2012
it is not solving my problem?
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by wildguy(m): 9:04am On Aug 04, 2012
what is the error?
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by AutomatedSystem: 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2012
This is a database issue and not front end issue. If you understand your DB of choice well, you should be able to do this using query; first to compute (average) scores and then to display them in the desired order. Basic DB rule states that you don't store calculated figures in your DB.
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by nnemak(m): 10:40am On Aug 08, 2012
Are you a graduate?
ARE you a Good Programmer / software engineer?
Are your very good in dot NET?
Are you already in PH or willing to relocate at your own expense?
If you meet the basic requirement above. Send your resume to bekky_ben@yahoo.co.uk
Your skill (Programminglang etc)
and your salary expectation per month. And i would getback to u. Also feel free to recommed young minds
Disregard this advert after 15th of August as an interview would be conducted before the 18th of August
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by Nov1ce(m): 12:31pm On Aug 08, 2012
I think I could help...
First you'll have to read all the scores from the database...
Put all the results in an array, Perform a sort operation on your array so it sorts each element from the highers to the lowest...
Then, you'll insert the positions based on the array index e.g the highest score would be at the top so all you'll do is use the index + 1 as the position.

This would work straightforward assuming you have a perfect collection of scores (i.e. no duplicates) but eve if you do, it'll just be a step further and I'll think up something once you'r able to do what I said successfully.

Cheers!
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by tbaba007: 7:14am On Aug 09, 2012
First of all.....did u design the database well? Is your connection string correct? And is it saving into the database? Check first. If yes
Use ds string SELECT * from grades. And make sure it is filtered by grades
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by Bros1: 6:38pm On Aug 10, 2012
Dear VURN, i think i understand ur challenge. you want to rank your result from ur query based on the average score. I will share a SQL snippet from our Schools Management ERP software.
/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[TermReportCard] Script Date: 08/10/2012 18:31:49 ******/
SET ANSI_NULLS ON
GO
SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
GO
ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[TermReportCard]
(
@termId varchar(20),
@currentClass varchar(50),
@admissionNo VARCHAR(20)
)
--exec [TermReportCard] '1001201120121','jss2f boys','10/6911'
AS
SET NOCOUNT ON;

DECLARE @averageAge AS NUMERIC
--get average class age
SELECT @averageAge=AVG(DATEPART(Yy, Ap.DateOfBirth))
FROM Applicant ap INNER JOIN
AdmissionNumber an ON Ap.ApplicantId = an.ApplicantId
WHERE (an.CurrentClass = @currentclass)

SELECT @averageAge=DATEPART(yy,GETDATE())-@averageAge

-- get term and session info
DECLARE @term VARCHAR(20),@session VARCHAR(20)
SELECT @term=
CASE term
WHEN 1 THEN 'First'
WHEN 2 THEN 'Second'
WHEN 3 THEN 'Third'
WHEN 4 THEN 'Fourth'
end
FROM dbo.Term WHERE TermID=@termId

SELECT @session=session FROM dbo.Term WHERE TermID=@termId

--add school letterhead, principal signature and
DECLARE @principalSign AS VARBINARY(max)
DECLARE @noInClass AS INT
DECLARE @percent AS decimal(8,2)

SELECT @principalSign=SIGNATURE FROM staffbio WHERE Designation='###'
SELECT @noInClass=COUNT(DISTINCT AdmissionNo) FROM dbo.StudentResults WHERE PresentClass=@currentClass AND TermID=@termId
-- determine students position
DECLARE @weightScore decimal(8,2),@noOfSubjects INT,@position int
SELECT @weightscore=SUM(aggregatescore)FROM dbo.StudentResults WHERE PresentClass=@currentClass AND TermID=@termId
AND AdmissionNo=@admissionNo
SELECT @noOfSubjects=COUNT(DISTINCT subject)FROM dbo.StudentResults WHERE PresentClass=@currentClass AND TermID=@termId
AND AdmissionNo=@admissionNo

SELECT @percent=@weightscore/@noOfSubjects;

WITH classPositions AS
(
SELECT admissionno, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY SUM(AggregateScore) DESC) AS 'POSITION' FROM studentresults
WHERE PresentClass=@currentClass AND TermID=@termId
GROUP BY AdmissionNo
)
SELECT @position=POSITION FROM classPositions WHERE admissionno=@admissionNo;

--select the main table
SELECT @averageAge 'Average Class Age',@position 'Position',@percent 'Percent',@noInClass 'No in Class',
(@noOfSubjects*100) 'Weighted Score', a.StudentName, AggregateScore,s.Subject,s.AdmissionNo,
@principalSign 'Principal',@term 'Term',@session 'Session',s.PresentClass,
s.Assessment FROM studentresults s INNER JOIN dbo.AdmissionNumber a ON s.AdmissionNo=a.AdmissionNo
WHERE s.TermID=@termid AND s.PresentClass=@currentClass AND a.AdmissionNo=@admissionNo

Take note of :
SELECT admissionno, ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY SUM(AggregateScore) DESC) AS 'POSITION' FROM studentresults
GROUP BY AdmissionNo

that is where the ranking takes place. If u need more assistance or clarification, contact me: david.adele@codebasetechnologies.com. Thanks
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by VURN(m): 5:02am On Aug 11, 2012
@Bros 1. Thanks alot for your assistance. You have given me another idea but what if two or three persons have the same average score? I will try this and see shaa. But i code with VB.NET
Re: VB.NET Assistance Needed From VB.NET Gurus by Bros1: 10:01am On Aug 11, 2012
This problem you have is called Ranking issue.
TSQL provide ranking functions.

So when average scores are same for more than one student, you have 2 main options.

1. SELECT admissionno, RANK() OVER (ORDER BY SUM(AggregateScore) DESC) AS 'POSITION' FROM studentresults
GROUP BY AdmissionNo

Result will be like this: 1,2,2,2,5,6,6,8,.....

2. SELECT admissionno, DENSE_RANK() OVER (ORDER BY SUM(AggregateScore) DESC) AS 'POSITION' FROM studentresults
GROUP BY AdmissionNo

Result will be like this:1,2,2,2,3,4,4,5,.....

From experience with schools we've deployed. option 1 is preferred. But i may suggest in ur case like the client decide.
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Need Help Registering For A Google Play Developer Account. / Embedded System Tutorial #include<module2.h> :what Is A Microcontroller? / dot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.