Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,085 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? (9343 Views)

If U Could Take Just One Thing To Heaven, What Would It Be? / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by biife: 12:22pm On Dec 15, 2007
three days after his death jesus was resurrected.

please, when did he return to heaven? on that day?
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by MisterMan(m): 5:55pm On Dec 15, 2007
That day. According to the bible, he told Mary Margadelene (I think) not to touch him that he has not ascended to heaven yet but to go and tell others that he has resurected. I can see a not too good reason for this question. Open up and tell us why the question.
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by biife: 5:22pm On Dec 17, 2007
forgive me dear,

to put the question more clearly:

when did Jesus actually return to heaven?
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by ekorick(m): 4:56pm On Dec 19, 2007
2007 AD. He told the thief today you shall meet me in paradise.
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by babs787(m): 5:34pm On Dec 19, 2007
@ekorick

Can you share where you read that with me, be it the bible or anything I cna lay my hands on?
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by Kobojunkie: 5:42pm On Dec 19, 2007
ekorick:

That is true but, I don't think this thread is an appropriate place to discuss what I want to.
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by babs787(m): 6:22pm On Dec 19, 2007
@Kobojunkie

That is true but, I don't think this thread is an appropriate place to discuss what I want to.

Why not. please do jare grin. I want to learn from you.

He told the thief today you shall meet me in paradise.

How many thieves were crucified along with him?

The gospels say that two thieves were crucified along with Jesus. Did both thieves mock Jesus? Yes (Mark 15:32)

No. One of them mocked Jesus, the other defended Jesus (Luke 23:43)

Did he ascend that same day?

Yes. He said to the thief who defended him, Today you will be with me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)
No. He said to Mary Magdelene two days later, I have not yet ascended to the Father (John 20:17)

Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by MisterMan(m): 5:59pm On Dec 21, 2007
ekorick:

Are u saying that Jesus only resurrected this year?  cheesy

You guys raised some interesting points. This is in reference to Luke 23:43. Here bible scholars gave two different interpretations. The first and the commonest iinterpretationis that you will meet me in paradise today. That 'today' is in reference to a particular date.

The other interpretation is that Jesus was simply making emphasis. It can get really confusing, but I will try and explain. If I say "Na me dey tell you". What does this mean? It does not mean that It is me and not KoboJunkie or bab78 or biife that is talking. It is my way of emphasising that I am telling the truth.

So let's get back to our current topic. Today you shall be with me in paradise can either mean This particular day(the first interpretation), and not tommorrow you will meet me in paradise. It can also mean mark my word, you will  meet me in paradise.

But then can Jesus seriously be telling him (the theif)  that He would meet him in paradise when he knew he would not be going to paradise. Now we know that Jesus knew he would be dead for three days. He said so himself several times. Now take a look at Acts 2:31 - 32

2:31 He seeing this before spoke of the reresurrection ofhrist, that his soul was not left in Hades, neither his flesh did see corruption.
2:32 This Jesus God raised up, of which we are all witnesses

If we assumed that God raised him that day, then it means God's word 'has fallen down and came back to him' which we know can NEVER be possible. God respects his word even more than his name (and you know that God does not joke with his name). If God raised him on that day, then we are saying that God is a liar.

If Jesus was raised on that day, then what is the point of telling Mary not to touch him yet that he had not 'aascendedo God when he has just come back from him? The simple truth is that he was not in paradise before then. It was after he had accended to heaven and came back that he allowed them to touch him.

Here is my own submission. Lk 23:43 was emphasis and not that he would meet him that day in heaven. According to prophesy, he was dead and was in hades and not in heaven or paradise. 
Peace
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by ekorick(m): 4:00pm On Dec 22, 2007
sorry I wanted to write 2007 years ago. some of this translation are from greek, aramaic and latin so you just don't read literal meanings to them. When Jesus ascended should not be a problem but ask yourself where you will be going to hereafter.
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by ajadrage: 9:45am On Dec 24, 2007
ekorick:

sorry I wanted to write 2007 years ago
Jesus ascended to sit at the right hand of Jehovah the almighty God about 2007 years ago, but mind you there has been some discrepancy in the calendar arrangement as was made both by Augustus while he was caesar over Rome and Pope Gregory, the founder of the gregorian calendar which is in use today.

While the dates of the gregorian calendar is demarcated with the acronymns BC and AD (before the death and after the death of Christ), Thus, if one should begin to count the years from the death, we would arrive at 2007 years precisely on the day.

On the issue of the two individuals that were executed along with Christ and the statements that were made to Mary Magdalene as such as being with him in paradise on the day, this brings to mind the issue of the last day of judgement. You will recall that it is said that it is appointed unto man once to die and after death the judgement. In principle, when Jesus said to the condemned man that "today, you will be with me in paradise", I doubt if he literally meant today as in that particular day, rather to the criminal, the day of his resurrection would also be like the very same day in which he died as that applies to everyone that has ever died on this earth.

The day of our raising would be like the very same day in which we died as upon our raising the very first memories that we would have would be the memories that occured on the day of our individual deaths and it would seem to us that we are just been roused from a sleeplike state on the same day. The fact that we would all be raised into the new system implies a paradise, so when Jesus told the criminal that he would be with him in paradise on that day, he was actually giving the thief a hope for his future resurrection.

biife:

Jesus did not ascend immediately after his resurrection as he was reported to have spent some time amongst mankind before ascending. John's account of the gospel recorded in chapter 20:26 about eight day's after his resurrection that he appeared to his followers where Thomas earned the name "doubting"
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by MisterMan(m): 11:58am On Dec 24, 2007
ekorick:

sorry I wanted to write 2007 years ago. some of this translation are from greek, aramaic and latin so you just don't read literal meanings to them. When Jesus ascended should not be a problem but ask yourself where you will be going to hereafter.

C'mon ekorick, where is your sense of humour? I felt you should have known that I was pulling your leg. I knew what you were saying. It is very clear that you made a simple mistake. Even a 4-year old mentally retarded boy would have known. Didn't you notice the icon I put at the end?

ekorick:

When Jesus ascended should not be a problem but ask yourself where you will be going to hereafter.

Somebody asked a question and I replied. Do you have any problem about that? It is like I am getting disappointed with your immaturity.
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by MisterMan(m): 3:48pm On Dec 26, 2007
ajadrage:

Jesus ascended to sit at the right hand of Jehovah the almighty God about 2007 years ago, but mind you there has been some discrepancy in the calendar arrangement as was made both by Augustus while he was caesar over Rome and Pope Gregory, the founder of the gregorian calendar which is in use today.

While the dates of the gregorian calendar is demarcated with the acronymns BC and AD (before the death and after the death of Christ), Thus, if one should begin to count the years from the death, we would arrive at 2007 years precisely on the day.

I disagree with that. We would not arrive precisely on that day. One, because of the discrepancies in both the two calendars. Pope Gregory removed 11 days from the days so as to correct the Julian calendar. This happened in 1752 Sept. 3rd became Sept. 14th. So in history, we don't have Sept 3, 4, , 13. I don't really know if that is the real question posted by the author. From my own initial idea, I thought he was merely asking how many days did it take him to go to heaven. Let me quote him

biife:

Take a look at my first answer
MisterMan:

That day. According to the bible, he told Mary Margadelene (I think) not to touch him that he has not ascended to heaven yet but to go and tell others that he has resurected. I can see a not too good reason for this question. Open up and tell us why the question.

I think the poster meant was it that day, two days later or 15 days later. That question aside, we cannot say exactly (how many years ago) when he resurrected. One, his date of birth was wrongly calculated. Our mordern calendar was supposed to start with his birth (he was supposed to be born on '1BC', but it was later discovered that there was an error, and therefore it is put at 4BC.

Let me quote you here:
Jesus did not ascend immediately after his resurrection as he was reported to have spent some time amongst mankind before ascending. John's account of the gospel recorded in chapter 20:26 about eight day's after his resurrection that he appeared to his followers where Thomas earned the name "doubting"

No, Jesus did ascend immediately to go and meet God. He did not allow Mary Margalene to touch him. Later, He asked Thomas to touch him. So my own submission is that after the resurection, he went to heaven (may be to go and give God his report), and then he came back to earth to appear to others.

He did not go back to heaven 8 days after. There is no way we can really know that. After the eighth day, he appeared to John, Peter, Thomas and one other person when the disciples went to go afishing. That was the last day he appeared to them.

So for me, immediately he rose he went to heaven on that particular day and then he came back and started appearing to the disciples. We know that he spent at least 8 days before he finnaly went back to heaven
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by Kobojunkie: 7:35pm On Dec 26, 2007
babs787:

@Kobojunkie

Why not. please do jare grin. I want to learn from you.

How many thieves were crucified along with him?

The gospels say that two thieves were crucified along with Jesus. Did both thieves mock Jesus? Yes (Mark 15:32)

No. One of them mocked Jesus, the other defended Jesus (Luke 23:43)

Did he ascend that same day?

Yes. He said to the thief who defended him, Today you will be with me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)
No. He said to Mary Magdelene two days later, I have not yet ascended to the Father (John 20:17)

I 100% doubt your claim as in I believe you are lying there @babs. Prove me wrong one of these days
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 29, 2007
hmmm, his body go

don't think so

According to the Bible, when his side was pierced blood and water gushed out.

But when they came to Jesus and found him already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. (John 19:33,34)

If he was dead and his heart had stopped beating, such active bleeding as causing the blood to rush out or gush out would be impossible. At most coagulated blood and plasma could have passively seeped out. But that is not the picture which the New Testament presents, it says that blood and water rushed out. As far as the mention of water is concerned it should not be surprising for Jesus to have developed pleurisy during the extremely exacting and punishing hours of trial that he spent upon the cross. Also, the stress of the Crucifixion could have resulted in exudates from the pleura to collect likes bags of water, which is medically termed as wet pleurisy. This condition, which is otherwise dangerous and painful, seems to have turned into an advantage for Jesus because when his side was pierced the swollen pleura could easily have played the role of a cushion protecting the chest organs from being directly penetrated by the spear. Water mixed with blood rushed out because of an active heart.

Another piece of evidence is as follows. According to the Biblical account, after the body was handed over to Joseph of Arimathea, it was immediately removed to a secret place of burial, a sepulchre with enough room not only for Jesus but also for two of his attendants to sit and take care of him.

Then the disciples went back to their homes, but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent down over to look into the tomb and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus’ body had been. (John 20:10–12)

That is not all, we are informed in the New Testament that an ointment, which had been prepared in advance was applied to Jesus’ wounds.6 This ointment, prepared by the disciples of Jesus, contained ingredients which have properties of healing wounds and subduing pain etc. Why was there all this fuss about going through the laborious exercise of collecting twelve rare ingredients to prepare an ointment at all? The prescription used is recorded in many classical books such as the famous medical textbook Al-Qanun by Bu Ali Sina (see appendix for a list of such books). So what was the need of applying ointment to a dead body? This could only make sense if the disciples had strong reasons to believe that Jesus would be delivered alive from the cross and not dead. St. John is the only apostle who has ventured to offer an explanation justifying the act of preparing and applying an ointment to Jesus’ body. This further supports the fact that the act of applying ointment to a dead body was considered extremely odd behaviour, inexplicable to those who believed that Jesus was dead when ointment was applied. It is for this reason why St. John had to offer an explanation. He suggests that it was done so merely because it was a Jewish practice to apply some sort of balm or ointment to the bodies of their dead. Now it is a very important fact to note that all modern scholars who have researched into this, are in agreement that St. John was not of Jewish origin, and he proved it by this statement of his. It is known for certain that Jews or the Children of Israel have never applied any ointments whatsoever to the bodies of their dead. As such the scholars contend that St. John must have been of non-Jewish origin otherwise he could not have been so ignorant of Jewish customs. So there has to be another reason for this.
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by babs787(m): 12:31pm On Dec 29, 2007
@kobojunkie

I 100% doubt your claim as in I believe you are lying there @babs. Prove me wrong one of these days

Do I need to still prove you wrong when you have been served glaring contradicting verses from your bible. What you need to do is to deny those verses I served you from your bible and when you are able to do that, I will assisty you by coming in to bail you out.
cool
Re: When Did Jesus Go To Heaven? by holythug(m): 12:39pm On Dec 29, 2007
u shd av read ur bible b4 typin angry

(1) (Reply)

Cardinal Becciu: Vatican Court Convicts Former Pope Adviser Of Financial Crimes / Mandelanism - A New African Religion? / Ways God Uses In Teaching Christians How To Number Their Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.