Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (48061 Views)

Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by elampiro(m): 9:47am On Sep 12, 2013
Pope Francis assures atheists: You don’t have to believe in God to go to heaven

In comments likely to enhance his progressive reputation, Pope Francis has written a long, open letter to the founder of La Repubblica newspaper, Eugenio Scalfari, stating that non-believers would be forgiven by God if they followed their consciences.

Responding to a list of questions published in the paper by Mr Scalfari, who is not a Roman Catholic, Francis wrote: “You ask me if the God of the Christians forgives those who don’t believe and who don’t seek the faith. I start by saying – and this is the fundamental thing – that God’s mercy has no limits if you go to him with a sincere and contrite heart. The issue for those who do not believe in God is to obey their conscience.

“Sin, even for those who have no faith, exists when people disobey their conscience.”

Robert Mickens, the Vatican correspondent for the Catholic journal The Tablet, said the pontiff’s comments were further evidence of his attempts to shake off the Catholic Church’s fusty image, reinforced by his extremely conservative predecessor Benedict XVI. “Francis is a still a conservative,” said Mr Mickens. “But what this is all about is him seeking to have a more meaningful dialogue with the world.”

In a welcoming response to the letter, Mr Scalfari said the Pope’s comments were “further evidence of his ability and desire to overcome barriers in dialogue with all”.

In July, Francis signalled a more progressive attitude on sexuality, asking: “If someone is gay and is looking for the Lord, who am I to judge him?”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-assures-atheists-you-dont-have-to-believe-in-god-to-go-to-heaven-8810062.html

Why does the Pope like making controversial statements? This is about the fourth time. So now, there is no need to preach to anyone to convert to Catholic church/Christianity?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Judas2013: 9:50am On Sep 12, 2013
waiting till he tells the truth: God doesn't exist!

20 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 9:57am On Sep 12, 2013
SMH.... Waiting for the "faithfuls" to come defend him again.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Chanchit: 9:59am On Sep 12, 2013
I thank God for giving me a good conscience, if not this pastors for don finish me.

18 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by nedu2000(m): 10:13am On Sep 12, 2013
The pope is pleasing man instead of God,the pope is WRONG....for the bible says,which I believe the pope uses as reference "except a man be born again he won't (even) see the kingdom of God [John3:3].......И̣̣̣̥o pope,cardinal or pastor can convince me otherwise

142 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by italo: 10:15am On Sep 12, 2013
This is Catholic teaching from time immemoria. The Catholic Church has always taught that those who through no fault of theirs do not know the Catholic Church to be God's true faith can go to heaven if they follow their conscience and live a good life.

Did you guys really think that all your ancestors would burn in hell?

55 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by italo: 10:22am On Sep 12, 2013
So you think all non-Christians are going to hell?

nedu2000: The pope is pleasing man instead of God,the pope is WRONG....for the bible says,which I believe the pope uses as reference "except a man be born again he won't (even) see the kingdom of God [John3:3].......И̣̣̣̥o pope,cardinal or pastor can convince me otherwise

18 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 12, 2013
Nobody will make heaven without going through Jesus.
#Bewareoftheleavenofthisfolks

39 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 12, 2013
italo: This is Catholic teaching from time immemoria. The Catholic Church has always taught that those who through no fault of theirs do not know the Catholic Church to be God's true faith can go to heaven if they follow their conscience and live a good life.

Erm,personally, i didn't think they would but i remember my catechism teachers, who happened to be reverend sisters telling me that all non Catholics will go to hell. I'm relieved to know that this is not the true catholic doctrine. The Catholic church really needs to ensure their teachers really know what they should be teaching.

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by elampiro(m): 11:12am On Sep 12, 2013
Pope Francis said our sins are not committed by us but they are Jesus' sins : "When we go to confession, for example, it isn’t that we say our sin and God forgives us. No, not that! We look for Jesus Christ and say: 'This is your sin, and I will sin again'. And Jesus likes that, because it was his mission: to become the sinner for us, to liberate us. "* June 15 at his daily mass homily PF1.
*source http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-the-christian-life-proclaims-the-road-to-reco

The above was one of the controversial statements the Pope had earlier made. He said Jesus has died for our sins , that when we commit sins they are not ours but Jesus' sins. Then he went further to say how we should go to confession. This one generated heat too and many Church officials came to his defense that he was speaking theologically? Why did we not have some many confusion with JP II and Benedict?

Now I am beginning to worry. Catholic prophecies have it that here will be an Antipope who will be one of the two beasts with the Antichrist as described in Revelation 13.

They explained that the Antichrist will be head of the one world govt while the Antipope will be head of a new age church basing their teachings on humanism and atheism. The Catholic church will be hijacked to form this new one world new age religion. They said the Antipope will take the seat of Peter, he wil rule and be loved by many due to his new all inclusive religion.

11 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 11:17am On Sep 12, 2013
As quoted here^
'This is your sin, and I
will sin again'. And Jesus likes
that..
Where are the faithfuls?

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by damerry(m): 11:21am On Sep 12, 2013
italo: This is Catholic teaching from time immemoria. The Catholic Church has always taught that those who through no fault of theirs do not know the Catholic Church to be God's true faith can go to heaven if they follow their conscience and live a good life.

Gbam! Critics please answer the bolded. God bless the pope joor.

Update.

Your conscience is the God in you. you cant lie to it! Whether you believe God exists or not, his likeness in you tells you what is Good and what is Bad.

What becomes of atheists who obey their conscience and do what it right? Do you think they are going to end up in Hell?
Think clear

"here is a similar thought from a co-threader GLEAF @ 4th page

God created man in his own image and likeness, therefore when the Pope says "consicence" it means that you have the consicience of the almighty, thereby if you live by your conscience you are still doing the will of God , the church i believe was established as a food or rather fuel for our souls and consicence. SO if you live by your consicence alone , you will make heaven. though it might be hard considering the environment we live in especially Nigeria".

Longlive pope Francis! Tell us what pastors would not like to tell us, make more truth explicit.

5 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by tunapa2009(m): 11:28am On Sep 12, 2013
The truth will always stand no matter the circumstances. Many of our so-called "spiritual leaders" are altering the truth and compromising the word of God because of fear of men. They want to be respected by the society at the expense of their calling. I will implore every christian to follow the principle of the berean christians. Search the word and meditate on it. Live the word and never alteering any. Live in peace and never condemn. Correct in love and speak the truth in love.....

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 12, 2013
^_^
If they never accepted Christ, they will.

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by elampiro(m): 11:32am On Sep 12, 2013
damerry: Gbam! Critics please answer the bolded. God bless the pope joor.

There is a difference beween the ancestors and now. The ancestors never had the opportunity to hear about God yet history has it they still looked up to heaves (sky) when they called upon a Supreme Being. They are different from atheist who rejected the good news.

Even if atheist might be saved, the head of Christians should call them to beauty of God rather than encourage them to remain in their unbelief.

13 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by elampiro(m): 11:32am On Sep 12, 2013

There is a difference between the ancestors and now. The ancestors never had the opportunity to hear about God yet history has it they still looked up to heaves (sky) when they called upon a Supreme Being. They are different from atheist who rejected the good news.

Even if atheist might be saved, the head of Christians should call them to beauty of God rather than encourage them to remain in their unbelief.

4 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 11:35am On Sep 12, 2013
That is why i tell pple catholic is not a church*even d anglicans*was it not jesus dat said "NO ONE CAN GO THROUGH THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH HIM"so whats ds pope sayin*

9 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by elampiro(m): 11:36am On Sep 12, 2013
Vatican Radio)

Christian life is not a spa therapy "to be at peace until Heaven," but it calls us to go out into the world to proclaim that Jesus "became the sinner" to reconcile men with the Father. These were Pope Francis’ words during his homily at Mass Saturday at the Casa Santa Martha.

The Christian life is not staying in a corner to carve a road which takes you into heaven, but it's a dynamic that encourages one to stay "on the road" to proclaim that Christ has reconciled us to God, by becoming sin for us. In his usual profound and direct way, Pope Francis focuses on a passage from the Letter to the Corinthians, from today's liturgy, in which St. Paul very insistent, almost "in a hurry", uses the term "reconciliation"five times.

True reconciliation means that God in Christ took on our sins and He became the sinner for us. When we go to confession, for example, it isn’t that we say our sin and God forgives us. No, not that! We look for Jesus Christ and say: 'This is your sin, and I will sin again'. And Jesus likes that, because it was his mission: to become the sinner for us, to liberate us. " -Pope Francis in the link above.

More news:

It looks to me this man will be the one to change the Mass and the sacraments. His new deputy just appointed is already getting set to welcome talk on cancellation of celibacy of the prieshood.

New Vaican Secretary Of State Says Celibacy Open For Discussion.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/09/11/20433950-pope-francis-no-2-clerical-celibacy-is-open-to-discussion?lite

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by elampiro(m): 11:45am On Sep 12, 2013
hbpeze: That is why i tell pple catholic is not a church*even d anglicans*was it not jesus dat said "NO ONE CAN GO THROUGH THE FATHER EXCEPT THROUGH HIM"so whats ds pope sayin*

This is not the opinion of the Catholic church, it's the opinion of Pope Francis. He alone knows what he is aiming at. Pope Benedict never said such things.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by nedu2000(m): 11:50am On Sep 12, 2013
proverbs 16:25 "There is a way that seems right to a man,
but its end is the way to death".......the logic we(humans) use with our limited minds,we mere humans that haven't even counted d hairs on our heads let alone the mysteries of the sea & the universe, try to make sense out of direct instructions given to us by the word of God,what the Bible says is written in black and white & I believe that's what the person in question(the pope) follows

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by johnnyblakes(m): 12:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
italo: So you think all non-Christians are going to hell?

look its not about being a christain or muslim or any religion infact its not just religion,its about being a child of GOD and to be a child of GOD you must be born again by accepting JESUS CHRIST AS your personal lord and saviour and must live a holy and righteous life in order to see HEAVEN .PERIOD undecided kiss lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed kiss undecided

22 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 1:12pm On Sep 12, 2013
I love the pope because he's non-judgmental and open minded.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by johnnyblakes(m): 1:47pm On Sep 12, 2013
lorretta u: I love the pope because he's non-judgmental and open minded.
ITS SHAME LORRETTA

9 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by BERNIMOORE: 2:20pm On Sep 12, 2013
Matthew 24:15

"So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel--let the reader understand--

Revelation 18:2

And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of demons.

end-time prophecy in fuffilment, LET READERS DISCERN. no name calling pls.

12 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
[size=16pt]HEY POPE GUYY, WE PAGANS DONT BELIEVE IN YOUR IMAGINERY HEAVEN![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by wellmax(m): 2:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
[size=13pt]ERROR[/size]
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
[size=28pt]MR. POPE, YOU DONT NEED TO BE A TRADITIONALIST TO BE RE-INCARNATED.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 12, 2013

word!
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:23pm On Sep 12, 2013
[size=28pt]MAY NIGERIA BE FREE FROM JESUS WORSHIP!

THE GODS ARE ALONE TO BE WORSHIPPED![/size]

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by MrAboki: 2:23pm On Sep 12, 2013
SWEET!!!!! grin

FVCK YOU PASTORS!! This boy is going to heaven for sure...

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by omotayokay: 2:23pm On Sep 12, 2013
Its either you are for God or you are against Him directly or indirectly. In your self conciets you may think you dont believe in God but your spirit maybe for God. For instance, an atheists that was about to encounter an accident and he shouted, ''oh my God, help me''. The guy is indirectly saying although he has forsaken God, he still believes he exists, answers prayers and merciful.

To make heaven is not a matter of bodily exercise but based on TRUTH and SPIRIT!

Mathew 9: 16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, KEEP THE COMMANDEMENTS. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be PERFECT, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
Good Atheist are not perfect hence when they get to heaven one-room apartment, bungalows, tents, shall be their possesion while I and those that are PERFECT will inherit masions!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Fight Inside Olivet Baptist Church In US While Pastor Was Preaching (Video) / Pastor And Native Doctor Confess To Killing People, Paraded With Their Rituals / 'Abuja Pastor Sent Prostitute To My Hotel Room' Says Gospel Singer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.