Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus (2070 Views)

Actor Robert Powell: Stop Worshipping Me, I Am Not The Real Jesus / PHOTO: The "Real" Face Of Jesus Uncovered / Which Is The Real Jesus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 1:58pm On Aug 03, 2012
I was watching the other day William craig declare that the so called similarity about osiris and Jesus Christ was false and that the proponents of such ideology did not even have a source as their basis. So I decided to search online for such assertions that debunked the above baseless theory. I came across a yahoo answers reply to the above question which I quote

The entire: "Christianity is plagiarized from pagan religions" myth was debunked by the 1920s. First of all you need to get a copy of Lee Strobel's book: The case For the Real Jesus. In which he clearly shows you, through experts, why each of the points you talk about Horace Mithra are not parallels to Christianity. First of all, those very poor scholars that tried to make this claim had to first Christianize the myth, to try and make it conform. Now it's not possible to give you complete answers in the limited space available but let me give you a little bit from the book. T.N.D. Mettinger - a senior Swedish scholar, professor at Lund University, and member of the Royal Academy of letters, history, and the antiquities of Stockholm--- wrote one of the most recent academic treatments of dying and rising gods in antiquity. He admits in his book: The Riddles of Resurrection,: "that the consensus among modern scholars -nearly universal- is that there are no dying and rising God superseded Christianity. They all postdated the first century. ( came AFTER) Obviously the timing is critical: Christianity could not about the idea of the resurrection if myths about dying and rising gods weren't even circulating when Christianity was birthed in the first century A.D." (quoted from Strobel's book) while Mettinger takes exception to the nearly universal scholarly conviction and takes a decidedly minority position and claim that there are at least three possible and maybe as many as five possible dying and rising gods that predate Christianity: the question is this: are there any actual parallels between these myths and Jesus' resurrection? Mettinger, after combing through all of these accounts and critically analyzing them adds that none of these serve as parallels to Jesus... none of them. It's important to remember that Jesus' resurrection is a historical fact that can be proven from the witnesses and testimonies not only of the Bible but of extra biblical sources. And all of these are considered mythical not even believed as literal by those who followed that religion. Mettinger caps his study with this stunning statement: "there is, as far as I am aware, no prima facie evidence that the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ is a mythological construct, drawing on the myths and rights of the dying and rising gods of the surrounding world." In short, this leading scholar's analysis is a sharp rebuke to popular level authors and Internet bloggers who make a grand claim about the pagan origins of Jesus' returned from the dead. Ultimately, he affirms, "the death and resurrection of Jesus retained its unique character in the history of religions."
The religious belief of Mithra was: Mithras sprang Wholey formed from a rock, naked, with a hat and holding a dagger or torch or globe. This in no way reflects death and resurrection. And I think you're thinking of Osiris not Horus when you talk about death and resurrection. Osiris's body was cut into 14 pieces and then reassembled minus one part by his sister: Isis. He was then raised, not in life, he is the king of the underworld. Whether this can be called a [bodily] resurrection is questionable especially since according to Plutarch it was the pious desire of devotees to be buried in the same ground were according to local traditions the body of Osiris was still lying." End of quotes from Lee Strobel's book. You'll find this book to give you satisfactory answers and explanations as to why this entire belief was laid to rest in 1920 but has been resurrected by the same liberal left, radical fringe, minority and Internet quasi-scholars today.
Source(s):
Lee Strobel, the case for the real Jesus.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100125145808AAWfPYF
The poster later directed me to Lee Strober The case for the Real Jesus. Then I went online to search for it and I got the PDF version.

This statement really got me laughing and amused at how vague people perceive Jesus.

Jesus has been called an intellectual who spouted pithy aphorisms; a Mediterranean cynic leading a wandering band of proto-hippies; an androgynous feminist and ambassador of Sophia, the female embodiment of divine wisdom; a clever messianic pretender; a gay magician; a peasant revolutionary; and a Jewish Zen master.

I have begun to read it. [size=15pt]If you are interested in receiving the above pdf, drop your email and I will forward it to you for your personal understanding and blessing and ask yourself who is the real Jesus.[/size]
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 04, 2012
So far it has been a worth while opportunity reading this pdf by strobel. The discourse between him and evans on the validity of the various gospels - Thomas, mary, peter etc was really interesting. However one statement caught me off guard, ie on the divinity and humanity of Christ Jesus. Hear what Evans say
“How have your decades of research into the Old and New Testaments
affected your own view of Jesus?” I asked.
“Well, it’s much more nuanced, but at the end of the day it’s a
more realistic Jesus. Personally, I think a lot of Christians — even
conservative, Bible-believing Christians—are semi-docetic.”

That took me off-guard. “What do you mean?”
“In other words,” he said, “they halfway believe — without ever
giving it any serious thought—what the Docetic Gnostics believed,
which is that Jesus actually wasn’t real. ‘Oh, yes, of course, he’s real,’
they’ll say. But they’re not entirely sure how far to go with the incarnation.
How human was Jesus? For a lot of them, the human side of
Jesus is superficial.

“It’s almost as though a lot of Christians think of Jesus as God
wearing a human mask. He’s sort of faking it, pretending to be human.
He pretends to perspire, his stomach only appears to gurgle because,
of course, he’s not really hungry. In fact, he doesn’t really need to
eat. So Jesus is the bionic Son of God who isn’t really human. This is
thought to be an exalted Christology, but it’s not. Orthodox Christology
also embraces fully the humanity of Jesus.

This made me to start questioning my belief in Christ, do i believe in His Divinity as well as His Humanity?
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 04, 2012
Furthermore i started seeing something about His humanity which is very important as the divinity
Wanting him to explain further, I asked, “What is it we miss about
his humanity?”
Well, a big part of the atonement. He dies in our place as a
human being who dies in our place. God didn’t send an angel,”
he
replied. “And, of course, there’s the identification factor. We can identify
with him: he was tempted as we are. How was he tempted if he was
just God wearing a mask — faking it and pretending to be a human?
Again, that’s Docetic Gnosticism—Jesus only appeared to be incarnate,
only appeared to be human — and a lot of evangelical Christians
come pretty close to that.”
“Is there something about his human nature you’d want to emphasize?”
Evans reflected for a moment, then replied. “Yes, Jesus’ own
faith,” he said. “He tells his disciples to have faith. Jesus has a huge
amount of credibility if we see him as fully human and he actually, as
a human, has faith in God. Otherwise, well, that’s easy for him to say!
Good grief—he’s been in heaven, and now he’s walking around telling
me to have faith? But I take the teaching of Jesus’ humanness, which
is taught clearly in scripture, very seriously.”

hmm i refused to be a gnostics who believe He Jesus had no humanity but a divine person only.
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 04, 2012
I read somewhere, that if you want to hide something valuable from africans, write it down. And i believe i have come on a wealth of blessed gems about my Belief. i continue my reading...This are the main challenge the PDF intends to address

Challenge #1
Scholars are uncovering a radically different Jesus in Ancient Documents just as credible as the four gospels.

Challenge #2
The Bible's portrait of Jesus can't be trusted because the church tampered with the text.

Challenge #3
New explanations have refuted Jesus's Resurrection.

Challenge #4
Christianity's beliefs about Jesus were copied from Pagan religions

Challenge #5
Jesus was an Imposter who failed to fulfill the Messianic prophecies.

Challenge #6
People should be free to pick and choose what to believe about Jesus.
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by MrAnony1(m): 1:34pm On Aug 04, 2012
dude, you have my email. Please forward the pdf to me
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 4:28pm On Aug 04, 2012
Mr_Anony: dude, you have my email. Please forward the pdf to me
sent it
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by MrAnony1(m): 5:11pm On Aug 04, 2012
Thanks bro, just got it. It's 308 pages long though so it'll take me quite a bit of time to read but Thanks.
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by paulokwudiri(m): 9:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
forward the pdf to me also on paulokwudiri@rocketmail.com
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 06, 2012
paulokwudiri: forward the pdf to me also on paulokwudiri@rocketmail.com
sent check ya mail and happy reading
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 06, 2012
Mr_Anony: Thanks bro, just got it. It's 308 pages long though so it'll take me quite a bit of time to read but Thanks.
really quite long but quite interesting write up. It reads like a novel at the same time, sort of a warms the heart. I take a few paragraphs at a time tho
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 06, 2012
this is really a great pdf, i think i will put a link to my dropbox so people can download without putting their email for privacy sake
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 06, 2012
on the issue of infallibity and inerrancy, i started been relaxed wit apparent discrepancy in scripture as i continued to read this pdf and the desire to read the bible is growing all the more. Of a truth the steps of the righteous are ordered by the Lord.
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 07, 2012
another thing that struck me is this statement:

That means they regard the Bible only as divine and not also a
human product.
Many seminary students start that way. I looked over
a student’s shoulder while he was translating Greek in a workbook and
said, ‘That must be from the Gospel of Mark, because the grammar is
so bad.’ The student was surprised. I said, “Well, yeah, he’s one of the
worst writers of Greek in the New Testament.’ But that doesn’t impact
inspiration, because we’re dealing with what the product is, not how it’s
communicated. If Mark Twain can say ‘ain’t,’ and it’s considered good
writing, then you can have Mark do the same kind of thing.”

hmm as i continued my reading i started seeing that i have all along been a doecetic - believing more in the divine than the humane side of Christ and the bible. For example, mistakes/contradictions in the bible are what shows the humane side yet in that write up, the divine is spoken through and this i believe has been an obstacle to some confusing parts in the bible for me. For instance, i undesrtand now that there is a difference between infalliability and inerrancy and infalliabilty is the foundantion on which inerrancy depends a sort of pyramid.

Wallace has been subjecting the New Testament’s text to scrutiny
for decades. “Has your scholarship shaken your belief that the Bible
is trustworthy?” I asked.
“No, not at all. But it has caused me to see it in a different light,” he
said. “For example, I thought when I started out that when I saw the words
of Jesus, they must be exactly those words that he uttered. But historians
of that day were trying to accurately get the gist of what was said.
“For example, it would take you no more than two hours to say all of
Jesus’ words in the Gospels. Well, that’s not a very long time to speak.
It takes only fifteen minutes to get through the Sermon on the Mount—
but when Jesus delivered his sermons, people were often hungry at
the end. I don’t think Jesus gave fifteen-minute sermonettes for Christianettes.
So the Gospels contain a summary of what he said.
And if it’s
a summary, maybe Matthew used some of his own words to condense it.
That doesn’t trouble me in the slightest. It’s still trustworthy.”

The above bolded was really a revelation! continue...
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by mkmyers45(m): 12:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
send it to me bro: mkmyers45@gmail.com
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 07, 2012
mkmyers45: send it to me bro: mkmyers45@gmail.com
sent check your email
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 07, 2012
“Quite simply, we have more witnesses to the text of the New Testament
than to any other ancient Greek or Latin literature.
It’s really
an embarrassment of riches!” he declared.
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
““The quantity and quality of the New Testament manuscripts are
unequalled in the ancient Greco-Roman world. The average Greek
author has fewer than twenty copies of his works still in existence, and
they come from no sooner than five hundred to a thousand years later.
If you stacked the copies of his works on top of each other, they would
be about four feet tall. Stack up copies of the New Testament and they
would reach more than a mile high — and, again, that doesn’t include
quotations from the church fathers.

Even the great historians who give us much of our understandings
of ancient Roman history are quite incomplete,” he added. “Livy, for
example, wrote 142 volumes on the history of Rome, but only 35 survive.
When you compare the New Testament to the second most copied
Greek author, the differences are truly astounding.
Homer’s Iliad and
Odyssey combined have fewer than 2,400 copies — yet Homer has an
eight-hundred-year head start on the New Testament!At bottom, textual
criticism for virtually all other ancient literature relies on creative
conjectures, or imaginative guesses, at reconstructing the wording of
the original. Not so with the New Testament.”
Re: You Need To Read This Lee Strobel: Case For The Real Jesus by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2012
hmm almost through,

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Know If She Is Truely A Witch? / Do You Believe The Story Of Ham's Curse? / The Burden Of The Traveller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.