Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,892 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' (11811 Views)

To Worship God In Spirit And In Truth Is The Easiest Thing To Do On Earth / Spotting The Difference Between The Holy Spirit And Evil Spirit / Eckanker And Soul Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Delafruita(m): 3:57pm On Aug 04, 2012
ijawkid:

Animals are souls just like humans....

They are breathing and living creatures as well......

did they also receive the "breath of life" from yahweh through the nostrils?
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by isquar3d3(m): 7:31pm On Aug 04, 2012
leave it to nlanders to confuse d heck outta sm1. Atm, almst evry single persn has had a different view frm d odas. As sm1 said, i think afta death, d body returns 2 dust while d spirit nd soul keeps on living. D spirit takes d place of d mortal, nw dead body and holds d soul. Life goes on.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by buzugee(m): 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2012
ijawkid:

Oboy hw far?

Long time
YEAH LOL. BEING IN OTHER SECTIONS DISCUSSING OLYMPICS BASKETBALL.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by benodic: 8:07pm On Aug 04, 2012
@ Emmy9ite

bros am so impressed with the reply..after the soul drops the body,does it pick the spirit? When does the spirit come into play?

within the Spirit of God souls exist.that is why i gave an analogy of the ocean and the creatures that live within it. spirit is what sustains soul, so it never leaves soul and it is always around. without spirit there will be no life.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Bodjetstar(m): 3:08am On Aug 05, 2012
you've said it all.
SOUL+SPIRIT=BODY
Every individual has a body carrying his/her souls and spirit.
AFTER DEATH, it becomes BODY-(SOUL&SPIRIT)

I'LL ADVICE YOU TO WIN SOULS FOR CHRIST.
MAKES SOULS GLAD AND BE TRANSFORMED.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by pearlhapi(f): 10:45am On Aug 07, 2012
Emmy9ite: Fellow nairalanders,i greet y'all.. This is my first topic on this section and i will really need your help here. I want to know the difference between 'spirit' and 'soul'.Do u think there is a difference between the two? When we die,which of them leaves the body,is it the soul or the spirit?
Thanks!

Over to you_
and wetin happen to your bible

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Obinoscopy(m): 11:35am On Aug 07, 2012
Your Soul is ur Spirit and vice versa. When u die, ur Body decays leaving behind ur Soul which becomes ur Spirit
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Emmy9ite(m): 11:53am On Aug 07, 2012
Obinoscopy: Your Soul is ur Spirit and vice versa. When u die, ur Body decays leaving behind ur Soul which becomes ur Spirit
really? U mean spirit=soul
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Emmy9ite(m): 11:55am On Aug 07, 2012
pearl~hapi:
and wetin happen to your bible
I dont know where to check in the bible,can u help me with a verse?
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by pearlhapi(f): 12:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
Emmy9ite: I dont know where to check in the bible,can u help me with a verse?
certainly no!gan make a research aftall dats why you are a christian•dats if you are onè
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
Lyzbet: As a human being, u r composed of three entities. Ur body, ur soul n ur spirit. Ur body is d part u see, d physical aspect of who u r. Ur soul is ur intellectual aspect, ur will, ur emotions, ur pride, ur achievements, ur thinkin, ur reasonin etc. Ur spirit, as d name implies is ur spiritual aspect. Ur spirit is d only part of u that lives on after ur physical body dies.
*falls from mango tree*
LWKMD

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by megxo(m): 12:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
Emmy9ite: Fellow nairalanders,i greet y'all.. This is my first topic on this section and i will really need your help here. I want to know the difference between 'spirit' and 'soul'.Do u think there is a difference between the two? When we die,which of them leaves the body,is it the soul or the spirit?
Thanks!

Over to you_
dias one clear cut difference, DEY AINT SPELT DESAME tongue grin grin grin grin
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Emmy9ite(m): 12:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
pearl~hapi:
certainly no!gan make a research aftall dats why you are a christian•dats if you are onè
am naht!
Can u kindly leave my thread/needle in peace before i kick you out in pieces!
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by nagoma(m): 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2012
Spirit is a strong drink but don't drink methylated spirit. That is poison but used as a disinfectant.

Soul was the music played by Otis Reding and Soul Train and of course Soul Brother number One -dynamite James Brown!

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Goldenheart(m): 12:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
u guys are so so lost, A man is a 3.being.......he is a spirit which have a soul and lives in the body......when a man dies, the spirit goes back to God, the body decays here on earth. And the soul faces judgement.... 4 more info. Holla. 08067116343.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial aspects that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word “spirit” refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are not spirits. However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul's writing, the spiritual was pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity which gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word “spirit” is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24).

The word “soul” can refer to both the immaterial and material aspects of humanity. Unlike human beings having a spirit, human beings are souls. In its most basic sense, the word “soul” means “life.” However, beyond this essential meaning, the Bible speaks of the soul in many contexts. One of these is humanity’s eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Humanity is naturally evil, and our souls are tainted as a result. The life principle of the soul is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The soul, as with the spirit, is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word “soul” is used, it can refer to the whole person, whether alive or in the afterlife.

The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.

1 Like

Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by pearlhapi(f): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
Emmy9ite: am naht!
Can u kindly leave my thread/needle in peace before i kick you out in pieces!
lwkmd•sheby you are not tired of appologising•
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by jude33084(m): 12:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
Logicbwoy:

There is no difference, both are figment of the imagination

Ɣ☺Ʊ are not helping bro wink
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by pearlhapi(f): 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
~vicky~:
The soul and the spirit are the two primary immaterial aspects that Scripture ascribes to humanity. It can be confusing to attempt to discern the precise differences between the two. The word “spirit” refers only to the immaterial facet of humanity. Human beings have a spirit, but we are not spirits. However, in Scripture, only believers are said to be spiritually alive (1 Corinthians 2:11; Hebrews 4:12; James 2:26), while unbelievers are spiritually dead (Ephesians 2:1-5; Colossians 2:13). In Paul's writing, the spiritual was pivotal to the life of the believer (1 Corinthians 2:14; 3:1; Ephesians 1:3; 5:19; Colossians 1:9; 3:16). The spirit is the element in humanity which gives us the ability to have an intimate relationship with God. Whenever the word “spirit” is used, it refers to the immaterial part of humanity that “connects” with God, who Himself is spirit (John 4:24).

The word “soul” can refer to both the immaterial and material aspects of humanity. Unlike human beings having a spirit, human beings are souls. In its most basic sense, the word “soul” means “life.” However, beyond this essential meaning, the Bible speaks of the soul in many contexts. One of these is humanity’s eagerness to sin (Luke 12:26). Humanity is naturally evil, and our souls are tainted as a result. The life principle of the soul is removed at the time of physical death (Genesis 35:18; Jeremiah 15:2). The soul, as with the spirit, is the center of many spiritual and emotional experiences (Job 30:25; Psalm 43:5; Jeremiah 13:17). Whenever the word “soul” is used, it can refer to the whole person, whether alive or in the afterlife.

The soul and the spirit are connected, but separable (Hebrews 4:12). The soul is the essence of humanity’s being; it is who we are. The spirit is the aspect of humanity that connects with God.
awww so momma vicky is this gwed?nyzyyyy
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by pearlhapi(f): 1:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
megxo:
dias one clear cut difference, DEY AINT SPELT DESAME tongue grin grin grin grin
go to skul I wunt went,correct yurself I cnt fit•otondo personalised
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by etengokoi(m): 1:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
Concerning your question on the Soul versus the Spirit, let me first say it is a good one! There are some who don't believe there is a difference. This is due to the fact that the Hebrew word for soul is nephesh which means literally "life". It is also used for animals (Gen 1:20-24) and man as a whole person (Joshua 2:13, Exodus 21:23). The Hebrew texts denotes the spirit as "ruach" and refers to it as only the immaterial part of man (Num 16:22).

The greek of the New Testament makes things a little more clear. We know there is a difference between the soul (psyche) and the spirit (pneuma) by looking at Hebrews 4:12- "For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit..." .

The spirit is always referred to as the immaterial part of man. Man is not a spirit, he has a spirit. I believe the soul (psyche) is just what the greek word implies... the makeup of man. You are different from every other person. The thing that makes Raymond Raymond is the soul. The soul is how you relate to others and how you understand yourself. The spirit is how you relate to God. When you are reborn, you are born of spirit (John 3:5-6). The spirit is part of the soul, much like the mind is part of the soul. It is the soul, though, that comprises who you are.

Animals don't have a spirit per se- they don't seek God. Plants have a body, animals have a body and soul (they are capable of relating to man and other animals), but only man has a spirit. Both the soul and spirit pass when man dies, thus you will be recognizable as Raymond in the coming resurrection (ref Matt 17:3) and you will as a believer forever be able to fellowship with God. You will be given a new body (1 Cor 15:51-55), but you will be you.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Leboska(m): 1:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
First if u can get d book the spiritual man by watchman Nee, it will help a great deal on this subject matter. 1thes 5vs23. Shows us distinctive that the spirit & the soul are two diff entity. The spirit of man is in direct contact with d maker thats why roman 8vs5-16 talks about living in the spirit, while the soul in the midle entity between the spirit & flesh. Now the soul is where u have ur emotions,concience e.t.c. The soul is what will face eternity thats while when man sinned God said my spirit shall not always b with man. I wish i could elaborate but time.. If u want us 2 talk more email me
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Goldenheart(m): 1:05pm On Aug 07, 2012
if u die, u only go bk to how u were, b4 u were born......no pain, no gain.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by jude33084(m): 1:06pm On Aug 07, 2012
Delafruita:
which of the oceans did you base your analogy on?

Ocean Delafruita grin
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by awesomebenji(m): 1:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
Logicbwoy:

There is no difference, both are figment of the imagination
Must u comment when u knew dat u don't something upstairs?
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by nagoma(m): 1:14pm On Aug 07, 2012
I was only joking.p;

Spirit is a quantity , we are either high spirited or low spirited . It is energy within.

Soul is a quality , you can have a Saul which is the ego, the self or the psyche' or the nafs. The nafs immara is the lowest and instinctive soul that invites you to commit evil. The second which is the self accusing soul is the nafs al lawwama -awakens your conscience and accuses you of listening to your ego . It aspires for correction and perfection. Quality improvement . The third which is the Soul at peace is the nafs mutma inna -this is the ideal stage of tranquility when you are relieved of your bad manners and and materialism and worldly problems and at peace with God.
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Adanyebe(m): 1:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
DON'T WORRY YOURSELF @OP...WHEN YOU DIE YOU WILL KNOW THE DIFFERENCE
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by moderatorr: 1:16pm On Aug 07, 2012
BLACK MAGIC EXPLAINS A LOT ABOUT THE TWO:
when you visit a witch doctor and request for a charm - to get rich for instance.
The does 2 major things in general:
1. Ask you to commit a sin that will condem your soul forever, eg. Denounce God, kill someone for ritual, rape a virgin etc
2. Finds a way to strengthen ur spirit which is the actual force required to accomplish anything in life. Remember Its God's spirit that actually empowered the apostles into fearlessness and speaking in strange tongues.
Eg. Of something a witch doctor will tell u to do is
a. Kill your mum. This way you wont have to hesitate in doing whatever evil while hustling etc.
B. Bring 2million naira for the ritual within 3 days or die! You really have to rob to accomplish this.
C. Kill a part of your body etc.

Now to give u your first cash, the devil will possess an unholy rich man and make them foolishly give u their money! (reason many people who've lost huge sums were actually stupid in the process).

finally, the devil isnt stupid, after making sure u kill all your loved ones, he'll make you commit unecessary suicide or die in another very shameful way.
You already sold/condemned your soul so no heaven, your soul is his!
That's good business for him!
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
the soul is the human itself,i need to point you to the aspect of creation when god put the breath of life in adam he became a leaving soul, from that and so many places in the scripture the soul is the person itself.remember the popular scripture in ezekiel it says the soul that sin shall die.As for spirit,the spirit is the force that animate the body,its the spark of life.like a radio without electricity and the one with one.Electricity can be said to be the force that make the radio comes alive, so the spirit is the spark of life.and they are different from each other. i hope i make it as simple as i can
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
pearl~hapi:
awww so momma vicky is this gwed?nyzyyyy

u dey feel me shey? thanks anyway
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by Emmy9ite(m): 1:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
~vicky~:

i am impressed! smiley
Re: The Difference Between 'spirit' And 'soul' by potex(f): 1:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
what goes out of the body is spirit that means when the spirit is dead the body is dead... why wasting ur time with spirit and soul while you can make huge amount of money with mobile phone... just click my signature bellow to know how........ for free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet God's Generals / Some Funny Churches Name. / Who Is God Jealous Of?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.