Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,234 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics (10902 Views)

Are You Having A Tough Time In Your Academics?? Read My Story / Oou Post Utme 2015/2016 Academics Session / Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by HiiiPower(m): 2:38am On Aug 04, 2012
I'm still butt hurt about the basketball game from yesterday. African Americans are arguably superior to us in sports, however, we're superior to them in academics. This isn't a malicious thread but a thread to set the records straight.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by PhysicsQED(m): 4:00am On Aug 04, 2012
Doesn't it sound silly to you to compare all of black Africa to just 40 million black Americans?

Get over the predictable loss and move on.

6 Likes

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by tpia5: 6:12am On Aug 04, 2012
which basketball game?

basketball is an american sport, so the real surprise would have been if there were any other result.

in any case, better luck next time, no biggie.

2 Likes

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by MrsChima(f): 12:25pm On Aug 04, 2012
HiiiPower: I'm still butt hurt about the basketball game from yesterday. African Americans are arguably superior to us in sports, however, we're superior to them in academics. This isn't a malicious thread but a thread to set the records straight.

Several quick questions....

What is African American
Did the above post made you feel less shitty?
Are you referring to the whole continent of Africa or your ethnic group?

So you feel you are better than other Blacks around the world but not to the Whites and Asians

Don't sell yourself short and paint yourself ignorant. Not a good look boo boo.

5 Likes

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by anonymous6(f): 12:57pm On Aug 04, 2012
HiiiPower: I'm still butt hurt about the basketball game from yesterday. African Americans are arguably superior to us in sports, however, we're superior to them in academics. This isn't a malicious thread but a thread to set the records straight.

Sorry I will be honest I never believed that the Nigerian team will be victorious in the Olympics, I don't get why Nigerians were raving them when you know basketball is a American sport, specifically a african american sport not a international sport. if it was football(soccer) or Race running(ex. kenyans)that America beat us in, then it would be embarrassing but basketball please.

I feel Africans, Asians, Arabs tend to excel in Education then Americans in General based on my experience and observation, even 1st generation, africans, Indians, Arabs fall into that as well. I feel Africans take more importance to academics then sports(exception Football(soccer) or race running competition like the Kenyans) while african americans excel in the NBA, NFL, and other American sports the Academics but that doesn't mean their are no educated African americans.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 04, 2012
Lol, it's not that serious.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by MrsChima(f): 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2012
stillwater: Lol, it's not that serious.

It sure isn't.

Blacks in NBA or drug circles doesnt speak for all Blacks in America just like Nigerian Yahoo boys doesnt speak for all Nigerians.

The highest college graduates in America are Black women and in fact there are Black women holding executive position....can't get that being uneducated.

It is apparent that many put education before marriage and family.

1 Like

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by MrsChima(f): 5:55pm On Aug 04, 2012
I went to a graduation in May and 40 Black Americans graduated with Masters and Doctoral degrees.

Delta Sigma Nu!!!!!!!
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by kengis: 7:06pm On Aug 04, 2012
LMAO at this thread
@ OP
slave masters needed the strongest not the smartest ones in America
don't take this basketball game too seriously

2 Likes

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by SisiKill1: 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2012
Butt hurt??!!

Really?

Okay naa!

1 Like

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by raytech1: 7:29pm On Aug 04, 2012
Very stupid thread.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nebeuwa(m): 7:30pm On Aug 04, 2012
I am sorry if my African American brothers hurt your feelings. But please do not turn this thread into a pissing contest.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by kobikwelu(m): 7:43pm On Aug 04, 2012
@ mrs chima..

its obvious you are a frat member...talk about purple colors...

but the happy fact is that the black race in america is begining to realize their only hope rests with education!!!

but the folks in the media always turn a blind eye to that....THERE ARE BLACK MEN IN COLLEGE IN THE US THAN IN JAILS..but with the way they sound you would think there are none in school...
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by MrGlobe(m): 7:48pm On Aug 04, 2012
anonymous6:

Sorry I will be honest I never believed that the Nigerian team will be victorious in the Olympics, I don't get why Nigerians were raving them when you know basketball is a American sport, specifically a african american sport not a international sport. if it was football(soccer) or Race running(ex. kenyans)that America beat us in, then it would be embarrassing but basketball please.

I feel Africans, Asians, Arabs tend to excel in Education then Americans in General based on my experience and observation, even 1st generation, africans, Indians, Arabs fall into that as well. I feel Africans take more importance to academics then sports(exception Football(soccer) or race running competition like the Kenyans) while african americans excel in the NBA, NFL, and other American sports the Academics but that doesn't mean their are not educated African americans.
so much ignorance on this post. First bball was invented by a white man, it is not an african American sports. 2nd. if we practice well and build a team, we can win the Americans. Hakeem Olajuwon was discovered in Nigeria before moving to the states. Greece beat America in 2004 to win the olympics gold medals. Black americans also good in running bet you are not watching the Olympics. on what basis do you base your second paragraph tho? Which other country has more academicians and nobel leaureates than America
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by ocelot2006(m): 7:56pm On Aug 04, 2012

This thread is ridiculous!! Are you still butt hurt about the basketball defeat? Here's a little advice: GET OVER IT!!

Jeez...

1 Like

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nebeuwa(m): 7:57pm On Aug 04, 2012
Mr. Globe:

so much ignorance on this post. First bball was invented by a white man, it is not an african American sports. 2nd. if we practice well and build a team, we can win the Americans. Hakeem Olajuwon was discovered in Nigeria before moving to the states. Greece beat America in 2004 to win the olympics gold medals. Black americans also good in running bet you are not watching the Olympics. on what basis do you base your second paragraph tho? Which other country has more academicians and nobel leaureates than America

Let us not forget the many inventions that African Americans have created, that the rest of the world uses.

I feel that this game has caused a lot of insecurity amongst some Nigerians. A fine piece of humble pie.

1 Like

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 04, 2012
OP IS VERY CORRECT.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by kq(m): 8:14pm On Aug 04, 2012

Bros abeg make i ask you what record is there to set straight?That they beat us does not mean we cannot do better in the future abeg leave matter for Matthias. Make we forget this match and move on to the next thing. I hope Blessing Okagbare can do better in the semifinals she had a slow start and she still came out tops in her race i hope she can do better on her start in the finals.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by nwantauchenna: 8:40pm On Aug 04, 2012
america is d world standard when it cums 2 d game of basketball.so y are we suprise?
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by andyanders: 8:43pm On Aug 04, 2012

You are right. In academics, we are better.

2 Likes

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by babsjnr(m): 9:19pm On Aug 04, 2012
Fck american top 5 most wealthy black on earth are african. I've been to states load of times.. america negro are really struggling to survive some lives in a blackout house no eletricity for dayz.

2 Likes

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by stepo707: 9:31pm On Aug 04, 2012
@op get a life angry
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by babsjnr(m): 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

It sure isn't.

Blacks in NBA or drug circles doesnt speak for all Blacks in America just like Nigerian Yahoo boys doesnt speak for all Nigerians.

The highest college graduates in America are Black women and in fact there are Black women holding executive position....can't get that being uneducated.

It is apparent that many put education before marriage and family.

bloody lier black are still minority in american. How come black women are the highest graudates?
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 04, 2012
@OP

Don't take it too serious. It was only a game.

But you have a point. Black Americans need to make Education part of their nature the way they do these sports. They rate so low on the social ladder in America.

The day Co-operations stop pumping money into advertisements, will be the day they will come to their senses. You read comments on news websites how White Americans ridicule black Americans about "how they are only good in running around the fields like wild animals instead of use their brains more".

The future is knowledge economy cool. Embrace it or be left behind cheesy.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 11:01pm On Aug 04, 2012
This post has been censored by David Mark

1 Like

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Eltonluigi(m): 11:08pm On Aug 04, 2012
babsjnr: Fck american top 5 most wealthy black on earth are african. I've been to states load of times.. america negro are really struggling to survive some lives in a blackout house no eletricity for dayz.
So they aren't blackouts in naija and people livin' in poor condition? #Wonderful
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 04, 2012

lol this Basketball Game Destroying Lives......

The African Continent has some of the Lowest Literacy Rates in the World...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_literacy_rate

It's pretty common knowledge, so various websites besides wiki also carry this source of information....

Ironically, the thread was created to make claim of Mental Superiority, Yet the very creation of the thread and original post destroy such a notion by it's mere textual existence.

To be honest Academics don't really mean much about Human Intelligence anyway...

Memorizing the creativity and historical findings of another man's creation does not pertain to the reader's overall Intelligence.

He is just that, a reader. Nothing More.

African Americans are arguably superior to us in sports,

^---This above is not true either by the way, Resources, Training, Coaching, Work out regimen, diet, Intelligence all contribute to form a Great Athlete who has Mastered his Craft.

Some of You Nigerians really need to get over this.......

..It's like a cold hard reality check has hit all of you....The Question you should be asking is why were your parents and government Lying to you for so many Years?

It's pretty easy to look "superior" to a small population of Northern Ghana Living in Mud Huts, or to People Struggling to Survive and Eat in Chad.

On the World Stage Against Developed nations more things become clear.

What is clear is, more work needs to be done.

2 Likes

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 12:35am On Aug 05, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Several quick questions....

What is African American
Did the above post made you feel less shitty?
Are you referring to the whole continent of Africa or your ethnic group?

you feel you are better than other Blacks around the world but not to the Whites and Asians

Don't sell yourself short and paint yourself ignorant. Not a good look boo boo.
Exactly my thought! That's an example of another inferiority complex deluded nigerian. They are very måny sef embarassed

I jst wanna quote these so that guys who view just first pages can see as well cos it made a lot of sense to me wink
babsjnr: I agreed with that there's poverty in naija but why do western media always covered up they sh*t and exposed others countries. There's street hawking in miami I've seen it my self loads of time .load of american are living in poor state condition as well. even uk where I live got they own issue is full work shy. scumhead .drug userz, pedo, alcoholic. Serial killer and junkie homeless urinating everywhere. Without no benefit welfare the poverty rate in western will be higher than african.
speedyboi:
Because Africans (nigerians especially) are mumus who always take everything they see or hear from the white man hook, line and sinker and totally dishonouring their own person to lick arses of white men.
Imagine, jst because aljazeera there said 70% of nigerians live in poverty, they believed it easily and started refering to it on nl discussion. Please how practical is that analysis? Mtcheew!
Check south africa, the country has achieved good reputation from the media cos the whites there did what they know how to do best. Hiding the negative sides and showing the positive sides. But naija people will always bash their own country on the internet.

Meanwhile, I have seen people in the outskirts of south african cities who live in cardboard made houses. Atleast, we've nt seen this yet in naija, people are not dying of hunger yet in naija like some other countries (which are ofcos overhyped negatively by the western media)
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 12:41am On Aug 05, 2012
speedyboi:
Exactly my thought! That's an example of another inferiority complex deluded nigerian. They are very måny sef embarassed

^~~^ There is a Legion of These on Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by tpia5: 12:49am On Aug 05, 2012
nwantauchenna: america is d world standard when it cums 2 d game of basketball.so y are we suprise?

please help me ask the op.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by tpia5: 12:52am On Aug 05, 2012
I don't get why Nigerians were raving them when you know basketball is a American sport, specifically a african american sport not a international sport. if it was football(soccer) or Race running(ex. kenyans)that America beat us in, then it would be embarrassing but basketball please

thank you.
Re: Black Africans vs African Americans In Academics by Nobody: 1:01am On Aug 05, 2012
lol@the op message history

https://www.nairaland.com/hiiipower/posts

HiiiPower: Why do you posters turn everything into this tribal nonsense? DNA testing shows most black Americans are from senegambia and yoruba.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are the O'level Subjects Required To Study Electrical Engineering? / Application For Admission Into Nigerian Defence Academy 62nd Regular Course / Is Federal School Of Statistics Part Of Ui (university Of Ibadan)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.