Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,816 members, 7,841,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? (21066 Views)

My Experience With Facebook Fake Aliko Dangote -photos / Meet Aliko Dangote's Daughter, Halima / Is Dangote Really The Richest Man In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Rhino5dm: 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
Don't expect the hate mongers of this thread to understand your simple and honest analogy. Most of them are utter failures in real life, hence can only find solace in hating people using their brains in proper way.

Most of the dullards criticizing him cannot point to one thing they were able to manage successful. little wonders you hardly find most of them on threads requiring contributions as such, but flying from thread to thread searching for where hate is mentioned to feast on like some blood sucking vampires they are. Thessame people are still the ones dissing David, P square, Dbanj, Wizkid and other various super achievers out there making us proud.

Who is the largest provider of jobs to Nigerians? who is the largest investor in Nigeria? who is the owner of the largest functioning industry? . . .your guess is good as mine!

ebamma: according to the dictionary monopoly means a company having exclusive right over a good or service,dangote does not have any exclusive right over any goods i this country.dangote cement has a competitor in ibeto cement,eagle cement,unicem cement and portland cement.Dangote's truck company has a competitor in Abc haulage and truck company,Dangote sugar has a competitor in St louis sugar company. Dangote's fruit juice company Dansa,has a competitor in five alive and cappy fruit juice.Dangote noodles has a competitor in indomie,honeywell,and tummy-tummy noodles.the poster should verify facts first before using the word monopoly

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by cashmentor(m): 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey:
400K at that time is almost equivallent to 40 million Naira today. So tell me who would`t be succesSful as an enterpreneur with that kind resources.
he could easily have partied, grove, flex chop, mismanage and wasted the money if he wanted to..... The fact that he choose not to, shows that he just a Good business man, who found himself with and mixed well with the corruption of the society.... I once was handed a huge figure while younger, u know what? I almost went mad and ended up losing/mismanaged everything.... Dangote might not be perfect, he sure do know how to run an empire, which he started very young....
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 4:44pm On Aug 05, 2012
Well, if you don't fawn in Nigeria, they say you are bitter undecided
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 05, 2012
@Billionaire, i only asked a question and it was not meant to be an insult. I can as well say my dad or Grand parents for that matter never borrowed me money i ever returned. Okay?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 4:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
I respect his 'hustle' a lot but to describe him as self-made is far-fetched
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 4:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
I respect his 'hustle' a lot but to describe him as self-made is far-fetched. Very very far-fetched undecided
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Afam4eva(m): 4:57pm On Aug 05, 2012
A self made millonaire is someone who made a large percentage of his money by himself. So, wherever he got support from does not suffice. Nobody succeeds without getting the needed supporrt. So, IMO, Dangote is self made.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 4:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
afam4eva: A self made millonaire is someone who made a large percentage of his money by himself. So, wherever he got support from does not suffice. Nobody succeeds without getting the needed supporrt. So, IMO, Dangote is self made.

Isn't this relative?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by bknight: 5:00pm On Aug 05, 2012
economia: Jehova God is wathing everyone on a brigther sreen than 3D.

Take it easy na..don't take it personal, no bitter feelings..jst discus if 'self-made' or not #shikena grin
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by basher(m): 5:01pm On Aug 05, 2012
chipmunkey:
400K at that time is almost equivallent to 40 million Naira today. So tell me who would`t be succesSful as an enterpreneur with that kind resources.

I beg to differ sir. =N=400,000 in the late 70's was probably about the same amount in pounds. Factor in inflation, then you're probably talking about at least £800,000 in todays money which is almost a quarter billion Naira.

Having said that, people have been known to blow that amount, and more, on disastrously foolish business ventures and even end up owing more. So you still gotsa give him kudos for his acumen.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 5:04pm On Aug 05, 2012
afam4eva: A self made millonaire is someone who made a large percentage of his money by himself. So, wherever he got support from does not suffice. Nobody succeeds without getting the needed supporrt. So, IMO, Dangote is self made.

My dico defines 'self-made' as:
[usually before noun] having become rich and successful through your own hard work rather than having had money given to you.

^^No comments about 'percentages.'
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Jarus(m): 5:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
He is self-made. He was already a multi-millionaire before he began to have dealings with government. His fraternity with government started in 1999. The first time I heard about Dangote was in 1996 when I heard on TV that one Alhaji Aliko Dangote donated 600k to Nigeria's Gold-winning olympic football team. Many people didn't know him then, yet he was a multi-millionaire, nay Billionaire then.

He didn't inherit, he borrowed from his Grandpa and repaid. It's like me and you borrowing to start buziness. He grew the business. Give it to him, he is self-made.

Yes, I agree govt patronage has helped him in the last 10 years, truth, if you were not rich to an extent, you can't even access political powers-that-be. And in a capitalist economy like ours, it's not possible not to be a 'friend' of govt at a stage. Even in advanced capitalism like US, billionaires sponsor candidates.

Also, do you observe he continues to rise in fortune while other govt's billionaire 'friends' like Otedola, Arthur Eze etc rise and fall? The difference is Dangote is not an emergency billionaire that live solely on government patronage. That is why he is shoulders above others, except maybe Adenuga.

2 Likes

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 5:29pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jarus: He is self-made. He was already a multi-millionaire before he began to have dealings with government. His fraternity with government started in 1999. The first time I heard about Dangote was in 1996 when I heard on TV that one Alhaji Aliko Dangote donated 600k to Nigeria's Gold-winning olympic football team. Many people didn't know him then, yet he was a multi-millionaire, nay Billionaire then.

He didn't inherit, he borrowed from his Grandpa and repaid. It's like me and you borrowing to start buziness. He grew the business. Give it to him, he is self-made.

Yes, I agree govt patronage has helped him in the last 10 years, truth, if you were not rich to an extent, you can't even access political powers-that-be. And in a capitalist economy like ours, it's not possible not to be a 'friend' of govt at a stage. Even in advanced capitalism like US, billionaires sponsor candidates.

Also, do you observe he continues to rise in fortune while other govt's billionaire 'friends' like Otedola, Arthur Eze etc rise and fall? The difference is Dangote is not an emergency billionaire that live solely on government patronage. That is why he is shoulders above others, except maybe Adenuga.

I disagree.
BTW, who is this grandpa? Do you know the influence these guys (his grandpa and co) wielded when military boys held sway? I mean when Northerner elites were absolute overlords in Nigeria?

The same Dangote who gave Obasanjo 100 million Naira in Dec. 1998/Jan. 1999?

You need to understand the fact that a lot goes on behind the curtain.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 5:31pm On Aug 05, 2012
BTW, Jarus, most Nigerians would become very rich a grandpa like that
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 5:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
Fact is Aliko Dangote is a self made billionaire!. He was not given $500,000 as a gift by his uncle but as loan which he has obviously paid back in full. You must not be a farmer then and a billionaire now before it can be stated that you are self made. Some people from rich homes end up poor because of the mismanagement of their funds, but he was able to more than triple the loan given to him. This man today is worth $11.2 billion (estimated) that's Trillions of Naira......N900m could be N90,000 to him and even in the US, politicians get supported by millionaires and billionaires too. I watched an MTV interview of dangote where he was asked the most expensive thing he has ever bought himself and he replied " the most expensive toy I've bought for myself would be my private jet for $50 million" and we have pastors like oyedepo who are not even worth a quarter of this guy and he has three aircrafts. In the interview dangote also states that he works 18 hours every week day, some billionaires would even bother to be at their offices, this guy is diligent. Fact still remains that with the loan and he's family's riches, he is still a self made billionaire.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chucky234(m): 5:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: He is self-made. he borrowed 400k from his maternal grandfather to trade. The rest is history. Suck it up people and start planning how to make yourselves billionaires too. Its never too late except you are a billionaire's club hater.
He was lent 400k by his grandfather but did he pay back the money? Secondly he was given his own share of the Dantata's wealth when the business mogul died and that's how was able to stabilized his business to compete with other top players in the market,NO MAN is SELF MADE because one or two people must have contributed positively to your success as a man.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
chucky234: He was lent 400k by his grandfather but did he pay back the money? Secondly he was given his own share of the Dantata's wealth when the business mogul died and that's how was able to stabilized his business to compete with other top players in the market,NO MAN is SELF MADE because one or two people must have contributed positively to your success as a man.
Dantata is a maternal relative my friend, dont say things you dont know. Dangote would not have inherited from a Maternal Uncle. And yes, he borrowed from Dantata and paid back after he made the profits from the trade he conducted with the 400K Naira.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 5:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
buzugee: alot of you people have got your priorities in life screwed up. yes you are right, if we had 20 Dangotes in nigeria, nigeria will never be the same. it will be extremely messed up. worse than it is now. you people who aspire to be billionaires fail to see the big picture which is there is a finite amount of money which has to go round to meet everyones needs. by you being a billionaire, you have accrued the wealth of like 1000 people and hence you have put 1000 people in poverty unwittingly and unknowingly. see you cant see past your nose because all you see is the billion dollars in your account. you dont see the lives destroyed by you sitting on that billion dollars. when you see a HEARSE, do you ever see a UHAUL truck behind it ? you cant and will not take it with you to the grave. so this obsession with being billionaires is satanic. its covetousness and greed.

If what your saying actually makes sense, why isn't the US worse off?, they have a lot of billionaires that dominate specific markets......fact that some people on nairaland can't face is that there must be rich and poor people, that's what creates balance in the society. Lets get it straight EVERYONE CAN'T BE A MILLIONAIRE!!!!..... There must be poor people to serve the rich in every society and the number of the poor people would always be much greater than that of the rich... This is fact!!
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by victorD3: 5:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
There is nothing like a self made man. Either here of there you must have received support either finally or in kind. The self made idea is just what the rich usually to defend themselves for not helping the common poor man.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chucky234(m): 5:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu: Fact is Aliko Dangote is a self made billionaire!. He was not given $500,000 as a gift by his uncle but as loan which he has obviously paid back in full. You must not be a farmer then and a billionaire now before it can be stated that you are self made. Some people from rich homes end up poor because of the mismanagement of their funds, but he was able to more than triple the loan given to him. This man today is worth $11.2 billion (estimated) that's Trillions of Naira......N900m could be N90,000 to him and even in the US, politicians get supported by millionaires and billionaires too. I watched an MTV interview of dangote where he was asked the most expensive thing he has ever bought himself and he replied " the most expensive toy I've bought for myself would be my private jet for $50 million" and we have pastors like oyedepo who are not even worth a quarter of this guy and he has three aircrafts. In the interview dangote also states that he works 18 hours every week day, some billionaires would even bother to be at their offices, this guy is diligent. Fact still remains that with the loan and he's family's riches, he is still a self made billionaire.
$500,000? Never heard that before,but the moment he received the 400k he was made by someone else not to mention all the favours and illicit dealings with the military big boys in the 80s - 90s then the civilian government of OBJ.
To me no man is SELF MADE as long as you receives arm from another then that person must have contributed to your success,change your mindset.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 5:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
victorD3: There is nothing like a self made man. Either here of there you must have received support either finally or in kind. The self made idea is just what the rich usually to defend themselves for not helping the common poor man.

Abi oo.

Self-made is too strong a word here
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 05, 2012
Truth is, Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Jimoh Ibrahim and others could be called Surrogate Billionaires but then, they are self-made. Surrogate because behind their empires are massive investments from politicians who need Private Placement Programme and Trade Platform to put their money into, much more like a bullet investment and high yield alternative investment programme. So, Yes, they are Surrogate Billionaires but then, they are self-made.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by basher(m): 5:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
Jarus: He is self-made. He was already a multi-millionaire before he began to have dealings with government. His fraternity with government started in 1999. The first time I heard about Dangote was in 1996 when I heard on TV that one Alhaji Aliko Dangote donated 600k to Nigeria's Gold-winning olympic football team. Many people didn't know him then, yet he was a multi-millionaire, nay Billionaire then.

You wrong here sir. He had previously held exclusive import licenses for rice, sugar & processed tomatoes.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by basher(m): 5:52pm On Aug 05, 2012

You wrong here sir. He had previously held exclusive import licenses for rice, sugar & processed tomatoes.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 5:53pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Truth is, Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Jimoh Ibrahim and others could be called Surrogate Billionaires but then, they are self-made. Surrogate because behind their empires are massive investments from politicians who need Private Placement Programme and Trade Platform to put their money into, much more like a bullet investment and high yield alternative investment programme. So, Yes, they are Surrogate Billionaires but then, they are self-made.

hahahaaaa
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 05, 2012
basher:

So if he had franchise for rice and sugar then he is not self-made ? Do you really know the meaning of Self-Made ?
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ola one:

hahahaaaa
Truth is, Dangote, Mike Adenuga, Jimoh Ibrahim and others could be called Surrogate Billionaires but then, they are self-made. Surrogate because behind their empires are massive investments from politicians who need Private Placement Programme and Trade Platform to put their money into, much more like a bullet investment and high yield alternative investment programme. So, Yes, they are Surrogate Billionaires but then, they are self-made.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Aug 05, 2012
Self-made: Something from Nothing......
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Godogwu: 5:58pm On Aug 05, 2012
SmoothCrim: one billionaire yet 75 percent of the population lives on less than ONE dollar a day!!!

This one dollar a day shi makes me sick!!. Dude! $1=N160, less than that a day is virtually impossible ( you will die!!!). Nigeria has a population of about 167 million people and by what you just said about 125 million people live on less than N160 a day? Fat Lie!!!, even my gateman lives on more than $5 a day... Even if there are such people in Nigeria which I greatly doubt, they do not make up 75% of the population, that's a whole load of rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Aug 05, 2012
Godogwu:

This one dollar a day shi makes me sick!!. Dude! $1=N160, less than that a day is virtually impossible ( you will die!!!). Nigeria has a population of about 167 million people and by what you just said about 125 million people live on less than N160 a day? Fat Lie!!!, even my gateman lives on more than $5 a day... Even if there are such people in Nigeria which I greatly doubt, they do not make up 75% of the population, that's a whole load of rubbish.
You didn't have to answer the m0ron, He is a Ghanian, he comes here to get attention.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by chucky234(m): 6:01pm On Aug 05, 2012
Billyonaire: Dantata is a maternal relative my friend, dont say things you dont know. Dangote would not have inherited from a Maternal Uncle. And yes, he borrowed from Dantata and paid back after he made the profits from the trade he conducted with the 400K Naira.
Lecturer I thought you know so much,so in those years you have never heard of the name Al-Hassan
Dantata (Aliko's grandfather) who was the richest man in West Africa in the early 50s spanned to mid 50s before his death in 1955.
I still maintain that not Dangote or any other man is a self made because no one is a self made,not in this life nor the life to come.
Re: Is Aliko Dangote Really A Self-Made Billionaire? by Olaone1: 6:05pm On Aug 05, 2012
I am sure Otedola too will soon regale us with his own self-made tales undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity Hits Amuwo Odofin; NNPC Filling Station(photos) / Entrepreneurship Vs Self-employment - Knw The Differences / Zenith Bank Commiserates With Sanwo-Olu On Abule-Ado Explosion, Donates ₦100M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.