Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,525 members, 7,816,283 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:47 AM

. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / . (2106 Views)

Please Help, Am Confused About The Better Job / The Shortest Period You Ever Worked In A Coy Before. / Worked For 9 Yrs At Zenith Bank But..... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

. by Sodium155: 2:18pm On Aug 06, 2012
Re: . by Rapmoney(m): 2:56pm On Aug 06, 2012
You have to take the bull by the horns...make bold steps...pray and see what God will do in your life soon! Cheer up!!!
Re: . by Danyl(m): 3:23pm On Aug 06, 2012
@OP, i think you know what to do , then do it,its just by natural intuition that we are mostly guided in life,you must at one time been led but u refused to take the bold step then, though i dont blame, i was at one time like this,i spent almost about 3years at a private establishment,at the end of all i really thank God i left in good time, though am doin a thing of my own now but i dont regret it at all, though it might be small at the beginning, but its going to be great in the nearest future its all about u been diligent and be prayerful, take the bold step and leave.
Re: . by violent(m): 3:42pm On Aug 06, 2012
What are you doing at the moment?

What other options do you have?

What industrial sectors are in demand for your skills?

How have you contributed to the profitability of your current company?

If the MD is the accountant, marketer, HR, gateman, etc...then what do you do? Have you volunteered to take more responsibilities than what you are currently taking? Like including Marketing to your responsibilities? Why should anyone pay you more if they are going to have to do majority of the income generating parts of the jobs themselves?

I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, but sometimes, you've got to find opportunities in your own environment and think of how you can contribute to the bottom line. This is what makes you an important resource for the company and that ensures that you are treated so. I have recently volunteered to attend some client meetings along with the sales guys at my office. This is not my responsibility, but the head of my department is glad that I will be going with the boys just in case a client asks a technical question.

It's really sad that you are frustrated with your current job, but sometimes you may need to examine your own work ethics to find where the problem is. If you are making strong and valid contributions to the bottom line, your employer will not be stupid enough to ignore the high chances that you may be snapped away by a competitor.

2 Likes

Re: . by Sodium155: 4:17pm On Aug 06, 2012
@violent, you did not get the point.Two things when the owner becomes all,MD,HR etc.One is may be the owner did not see the staff as being competent.secondly,the staff are competent but thats how the owner wan to run his company.The scenerio is the second option.The fact is that he dont want to restructure the company.he decided to run it like that.This is one man business.No HR,No accountant,No Admin etc.Ever since i joined the company,nothing like general meeting by staff.You may not undersatnd what i am talking about.So its not all about what one has done.

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 06, 2012
@op... I know how frustrating it can be especially when family and friends are expecting that u should hav gone pass d level u ar. D job took so much of your time that u can't believe u waistd 5yrs wit nothing to show 4 it. Take a bold step, start looking 4 anoda job cos u now hav beta chances wit ur 5yrs experience. Things wil change 4 u sooner, al d best

1 Like

Re: . by AjanleKoko: 5:42pm On Aug 06, 2012
Sodium155: @violent, you did not get the point.Two things when the owner becomes all,MD,HR etc.One is may be the owner did not see the staff as being competent.secondly,the staff are competent but thats how the owner wan to run his company.The scenerio is the second option.The fact is that he dont want to restructure the company.he decided to run it like that.This is one man business.No HR,No accountant,No Admin etc.Ever since i joined the company,nothing like general meeting by staff.You may not undersatnd what i am talking about.So its not all about what one has done.

I think you are the one not getting the point, OP.
Your company sounds like it's just one of the many SMEs. You can't make the owner start behaving like his company is First Bank or Chevron. He's the owner, and is needing people like you only to do specific things, and will pay only what he feels he can afford.

The onus is on you to decide what you want to do with your life. Sitting in some SME for 5 years, expecting the owner to share profits with you is an unrealistic dream. You should quit and flip the script entirely. Go do something else entirely.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 06, 2012
its called one man business
Re: . by Krucifax(m): 11:22am On Aug 07, 2012
Whilst your condition may or may not be enviable there are things for you to consider.

1. You are employed!!! (A blessing not enjoyed by a lot of Nigerians,Europeans or Americans)
2. Not enjoying the job anymore!!! (A fact of life shared by most men and women "everywhere" )

Sounds like you work for a crap organisation,having said that you are working!!Many people would gladly take your place. Having said all that there is nothing wrong with wanting improved work conditions. So assess current your skill set,acquire more if needed(i.e evening or weekend courses),dust your c.v,start networking like mad(in church,mosque,temple,shrine,seminars,parties anywhere). And apply for as many jobs as is humanly possible. When you start this process i think you would start to appreciate your job more when you realize how difficult it is to find employment in the world today,but also it makes you ready to jump ship when the right opportunity comes through.
Good luck and please don't take this as a chastisement i just want you to chin up. wink

1 Like

Re: . by awesomebenji(m): 12:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
@OP, All d advises is my delight. It's nt easy getting Job, bt do continue 2 do wat u r doing in a better way. God help us all.
Re: . by sholly001: 7:50pm On Aug 09, 2012
if the business is not owns by you then you have to quit and think of another business to do.
if you need more information about the type of business to do then send your interest to sarumi_t@yahoo.com.
May Almighty God put you through. AMEN.
Re: . by Nobody: 9:41am On Aug 10, 2012

1 Like

Re: . by showbams: 7:52pm On Aug 12, 2012
I strongely agree with u seunshow. I think above it all we need the wisdom of God. If u try doin it thru human wisdom u will end up feeling frustrated. Remember it is God that teaches us to make wealth nd his blessings makes one rich. Try God today.

(1) (Reply)

Youth Africa Leadership Initiative YALI Free Online Network Courses / How Your Date Of Birth Can Dictate Your Career Path / PMP Exam Is Back In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.