Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? (13811 Views)

Nigeria Vs Sudan: Afcon Qualifiers (3 - 1) On 15th October 2014 / Do You Think Brazil Vs Germany Was Fixed? / Spanking Of The Gunners: Was The Scoreline 4-1? The Match Was Fixed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by hakwise(m): 8:56am On Aug 07, 2012
World Cup match between Nigeria and Greece "FIXED", says former FIFA man

Fifa's former head of security, Chris Eaton, last night claimed the world governing body has investigated the 2010 World Cup match between Nigeria and Greece for suspected match-fixing.

Greece came from behind to defeat their African opponents 2-1 in Bloemfontein – a comeback which was facilitated by the dismissal of Nigeria's Sani Kaita after 33 minutes. Kaita kicked out at Vasilis Torosidis after both players had briefly tangled as they tried to win the ball

[img]http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Sani+Kaita+Oscar+Ruiz+Greece+v+Nigeria+Group+WTSz34pLnEil.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Sani+Kaita+Oscar+Ruiz+Greece+v+Nigeria+Group+1r3dwdLzh3Ul.jpg[/img]

Channel 4 News were unable to get a comment from Kaita or his agent.

Speaking to Channel 4 News, Eaton said the match has been under active investigation
, as was a national federation – and that Fifa's anti-corruption unit has also been contacted by a footballer playing in the Championship expressing concerns over corruption.

In the past, Fifa has confirmed that friendlies and tournament qualifiers have come under suspicion, but has so far denied that any matches in the World Cup finals have been tainted.

Worryingly, Eaton, who is now the International Centre for Sport Security's director of sport integrity, claims that the corruption is embedded in the global game and that referees and other officials are targeted.

"A referee approached a member of the Fifa investigation team and told him that he is the only person with any honesty and integrity in the room," said Eaton.

"How many officials? It may not be thousands but it would certainly be hundreds. We have a number of clubs and federations who are actively under investigation today to see the extent to which criminal infiltration has taken a hold of their decision- making processes."

In spite of Eaton's comments, Fifa denies it is conducting match-fixing investigations relating to any of the matches in the tournament in South Africa two years ago.

Read the full story HERE and the original channel 4 story HERE
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by semid4lyfe(m): 10:04am On Aug 07, 2012
Excepts from the original story on Channel 4 Website:

Before Eaton left Fifa, his unit was in the midst of an investigation into a 2010 World Cup group game between Nigeria and Greece. This is the first time such a high level game has been the subject of a confirmed investigation.

The incident in question is the red card awarded to Nigerian player Sani Kaita in the 33rd minute of the match. Eaton suspects this foul may have been pre-arranged with a fixer to enable them to bet on when it would take place - a form of spot-fixing.

"It's a manifestation of, potentially anyway, a manifestation of an attempt at a fraud that is, is unique...and perhaps to be replicated in the future, so we have to be cautious about it."

Eaton is reluctant to talk further about the incident now that he's left as he thinks the investigation is ongoing.

Channel 4 News contacted Kaita's agent in attempt to get his reponse to the allegations, but we received no reply.

Fifa denied there was an official investigation into the match but said such matters were the responsibility of its security unit

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by hakwise(m): 12:00pm On Aug 07, 2012
Nigeria ....una don carry this corruption a step further hmmm..!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by mikexavo(m): 12:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Libkid(m): 12:37pm On Aug 07, 2012
Na wa.naija dn dey fall hand
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by zoboizee: 12:38pm On Aug 07, 2012
we were beaten fair and squarely. No corruption abeg. Some people just like to create headline news.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by XFive: 12:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
hakwise: Nigeria ....una don carry this corruption a step further hmmm..!!
I know you are from Burundi
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by otokx(m): 12:39pm On Aug 07, 2012
Junk journalism

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by mapet: 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2012
I pray this is not true O! cos if it is I fear for Kaita's life o!!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by ggiz: 12:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
Wat re d evidence n why nig V Greece match?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by souleymon(m): 12:47pm On Aug 07, 2012
otokx: Junk journalism
Reall Junk

was under investigation, claims former Fifa corruption expert

There is no authenticity in this News.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed :-XMtscheew lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by maclatunji: 12:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
zobo-i-zee:
we were beaten fair and squarely. No corruption abeg. Some people just like to create headline news.

This looks like British Press gone mad!
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Afam4eva(m): 12:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
Now, we're going international. I wish there was a gold medal involved.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by hakwise(m): 12:50pm On Aug 07, 2012
XFive: I know you are from Burundi

U̶̲̥̅̊ no like togo grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by omar22(m): 12:54pm On Aug 07, 2012
maclatunji:

This looks like British Press gone mad!

The brits exposing Amos Adamu which ultimately led to England not getting the right to host the 2018 WC! The British Press would do some serious damage
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Sanguine77(m): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
Match fixing or not, the Nigerian team would have been sent packing like a pack of card in the knock out stage. Old story imho.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by ebamma(m): 12:56pm On Aug 07, 2012
who fix am,kaita abi?
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by kantiyokGwana: 12:58pm On Aug 07, 2012
Nothing is impossible,looking at the huge corruption going on there.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by ebamma(m): 12:59pm On Aug 07, 2012
omar22:

The brits exposinging Amos Adamu which ultimately led to England not getting the right to host the 2018 WC! The British Press would do some serious damage
the brits exposinging,i neva hear this kind english before,abi you relate with patience jonathan?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
this people sef
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by honeric01(m): 1:07pm On Aug 07, 2012
Who fixed the match? Nigeria, Greece, South Africa, FIFA, Kaita or the Greek man? which one?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
This is ridiculous! I no believe dis story.
Out of all the seeds of corruption rocking the Nigerian National Football team, match fixing is absent. It's the last thing the Super Eagles or Kaita will do. On that day, Nigeria needed that match more than Greece. Mr. Eaton is a liar & a blackmailer. And this news should stop spreading before the Nigerian gods vex for Mr. Eaton or FIFA. Else, all the curruption & lies wey Sep Blatter sit down on top since 1994 go open 'feregede' for the World to see...
FMJ!
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by UPSHOT: 1:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
Lets wait and see how the story develop.And let me tell the house the British press expose everybody including their own Almighty Mudouch of News of the World.It is call investigative journalism and not junk journalism.Be informed.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Leboska(m): 1:17pm On Aug 07, 2012
This is the funniest joke i have ever seen ;DThis is the funniest joke i have ever seen
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by omowolewa: 1:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
O.k! We will set up a committee to look into that.

Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Chanchit: 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
Even if the match was fixed, i still thnk God we did'nt go further, so we were not disgraced out of the competition.. BTW the match was not fixed..,.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by maigaskiya1: 1:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
hakwise: Nigeria ....una don carry this corruption a step further hmmm..!!
abeg wetin dm fix match na d karat wey kaita display or na yobo wey no fit mark hm man wey dm score us,abi na addidas purposly gve ayegbeni over size boat mak hm 4 no fit score.pls am waitng 4ur reply o.errant nonsence
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Lordave: 1:46pm On Aug 07, 2012
fixed or not fixed Kaita is an original goat.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by omar22(m): 1:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
ebamma: the brits exposinging,i neva hear this kind english before,abi you relate with patience jonathan?

dumbo its a typo
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by Presidentcarter: 1:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
this man na former interpol oo, however he said it's under investigation. so d case is still an open one nobody has been found guilty yet. make una chill nd lets enjoy d series of drama to be revealed. as for nw we dey kaita back, he is innocent until proven guilty.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by naptu2: 1:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
Ancient news. I remember reading it on nairaland back in the day. Here's the 2010 thread https://www.nairaland.com/476545/super-eagles-suspected-wc-match

Note however that it's only suspicion.
Re: Nigeria Vs Greece World Cup Match Was Fixed ? by francis247(m): 2:25pm On Aug 07, 2012
This is nothing but "discombolulated balderdash". smh

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Have Not Vamoosed At The Olympics Like Cameroonians? / Who Is The Most Successful And Richest Nigerian Footballer / UCL: Which clubs will be the likely winners in the Round of 16?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.