Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health (15702 Views)

If You Masturbate And Ejaculate While Fasting Then Your Fasting Is Invalid / 99 Names Of Allah And Their Benefits (good For Your Prayer) / What Time Do We Start And End Fasting In Ramadan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by tbaba1234: 5:13am On Aug 09, 2012
Fasting Makes The Brain Cells Stronger....

Fascinating finding..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9743000/9743041.stm

There may be wider effects of fasting beyond changes in weight, specifically on brain cells, researchers in Baltimore and the University of Manchester have discovered.

Prof Mark Mattson, a neuroscientist in Baltimore says that fasting for one or two days a week makes cells stronger and more resistant to disease.

2 Likes

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by maclatunji: 9:00am On Aug 09, 2012
I concur.
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by maclatunji: 9:06am On Aug 09, 2012
Fasting Matters: Eat, Fast and Live Better

On Monday 6th August, a Horizon documentary was aired on BBC 2 named, "Eat, Fast and Live Longer".

Michael Mosley has set himself a truly ambitious goal: he wants to live longer, stay younger and lose weight in the bargain. And he wants to make as few changes to his life as possible along the way. He discovers the powerful new science behind the ancient idea of fasting, and he thinks he's found a way of doing it that still allows him to enjoy his food. Michael tests out the science of fasting on himself - with life-changing results.

Having watched the programme, we decided to write a few insights about what we learnt but also to revisit what we already knew. This programme serves as a powerful reminder.

WHAT MICHAEL DISCOVERS

In his journey he explores 2 things: (1) Secrets to good health and (2) Secrets to longevity. The first thing he finds is that one should not eat very much paying particular attention to diet. From there he goes on to find a man who knows all about the growth hormone IGF-1 and about fasting. He tells him to fast for 3 days, the results are impressive, Michael reduced the risk of getting many age-related diseases.

He doesn't stop there. He goes on to discover what is called, "intermittent fasting" - a fasting on alternate days. So one day he will fast and the next he will feast. What is very interesting is what he discovers about the effects of fasting on the aging of the brain. Although the tests were on mice, they suggest that human beings have a very good to excellent chance of reducing brain diseases by fasting intermittently.

The results of brain scanning on the mice revealed something far more interesting. They discovered that hunger actually created new brain cells and so by fasting you actually increase your cognitive abilities. So it is exercise for the brain. Hunger makes you sharper.

He then discovers what he calls the 5-2 diet. Eat for 5 days as normal and fast for 2 days. He gives this a go for a few months. The results show that he not only lost well over a stone in weight but significantly reduced his body fat. His IGF-1 reduced by 50%, his glucose dropped to a good level, and his bad cholesterol dropped with his good cholesterol increasing. Therefore he cut the risks he had of getting diseases but if he continues, he doesn't have to take tablets at all.

In conclusion he discovers:

1. Good health and longevity in age lies in diet - food matters.
2. Fasting can be done best according to the 5-2 diet system.
3. Fasting makes you healthier.
4. Fasting makes you sharper.
5. Fasting is not everybody - certain people shouldn't fast, for example a pregnant woman he mentions.

Let's dig into this a little more....

WHAT WE ALREADY KNEW

What Horizon has done, is confirm a constant tradition of Prophets and the pious of this world. Over 1400 years ago - we were told the realities of fasting. Ever since then, we have numerous works on the virtues and wisdoms of fasting. They don't seem to realise that they have confirmed the traditions and habits of the Beloved Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم and those who followed him.

The Word Fasting

The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said,
in an authentic narration by Abu Nu'aym: "صوموا تصحوا", which literally means, "Fast and be healthy." There is a better and far more accurate translation to it and that is "Fast and Flourish." There are only two words used here yet these two words hold so many meanings.

The first word is "Sumoo", fast, this word is derived from the Arabic root of "Saama" and Syriac, "Sawma." It means "to abstain" and when we fast we not only abstain from food and drink, but we also abstain from various desires of the lower soul. The word “fasting” in English is derived from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) term ‘fæstan’ meaning to “hold firmly”, in the same way we would talk about ‘making fast’ or ‘fasten’, and the sense evolution is via “firm control of oneself,” to “holding to observance.”

The second word, "tasihhu," flourish, comes from the Arabic root of "Sahha/Sihha", which means to be healthy, be in order, to heal or to correct. The reason why the word flourish better suits this is that "flourish" means to be strong, healthy, develop well, to adorn, or to be most productive or at ones peak.

Therefore we discover that fasting encompasses internal and external well being. It isn't just about abstinence but it is much more.

http://theblessedhub.co.uk/blog/13529607

3 Likes

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by maclatunji: 9:18am On Aug 09, 2012
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by amosy007: 12:57pm On Aug 09, 2012
So we are to believe every poo becoz it came from unknown white man? Mtchew

Next

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by sucezTP(f): 1:01pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nice one, though! Bt, could this be the reason why i do have slight memory loss whenever i fast?!
I don't think so!
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by ebamma(m): 1:01pm On Aug 09, 2012
continue fasting poster,cos am about to eat my lunch now

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by Nobody: 1:02pm On Aug 09, 2012
Na lie!!! You see why I talk am sey Oyinbo want make we die!!!!! For London almost everybody dey fat make them go dey preach for there. I pray make my papa no go read these kin thing o, make e no go affect my daily ration for house.**i dey vex now **

2 Likes

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 09, 2012
I don't need Science , Scientists or self centered Doctors to tell me that.

The book of life is greater than science.

Nature and Inspiration from Jah the most High leads Nyanabingi to Longetivity.

Jah bless.

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by Elueme: 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2012
I agree with him, though I haven't read such in the book but I do not need a rocket science to tell me that mild fasting could as well serve for a mild exercise.. Fasting exercises the body cells as exercise does to the organs and systems in the body... However, it should be occasionally and do not over stretch your limit otherwise, negative feedback mechanism could set in which will be detrimental... Why prescription of fasting could only be advised, when absolutely necessary or if you are on a religious exercise.
N.B : Diet restriction is not the same as fasting.

2 Likes

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by kingparagon1: 1:19pm On Aug 09, 2012
amosy007: So we are to believe every poo becoz it came from unknown white man? Mtchew

Next
na we b here cos we are black. Well shall, in nigeria, fasting na compulsory cos of poverty.
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by DonaldGenes(m): 1:20pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nope! I heard the man said so 2days aqo on BBC..but he only said ' fasting may help' He didnt say 'it will'' so dont qet it twisted friends...
As a biotechnoloqist...all i can say is that fasting will only aid your body withstand adverse condition of any sort.....because as long as you expose yourself to certain environment,your Genes will tend to adjust itself...just like for example.i have the chance to travel to yankee now..on prolong stay,my Genes will adjust itself resulting in the way i speak and flow the way Americans flow,,,so dont mind that man and his unproven theory

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by tiarabubu: 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2012
You guys should not castigate the scientists. They are only there to report the facts.

What they said was that fasting for one or two days a week makes cells stronger and more resistant to disease.

They didn't say fasting for a whole week or a whole month, ok?

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by anishe(m): 1:21pm On Aug 09, 2012
ISLAM is the complete way of Life. Over a 1400 years, the Prophet SAW has recommended we observe voluntary fasting every Monday and Thursday of everyu week. Allah Akbar.

For all the bad elements tanishing the image of Islam, the religion of peace, O' Allah, please take charge and deal with them. Ameen.

9 Likes

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by mu2sa2: 1:25pm On Aug 09, 2012
Over 1400 years ago d Almighty God decreed ISLAM as d path for mankind. Fasting one calenda month yearly is a pillar of Islam. It is also recommended to fast every monday & thurday. Muslims hv been enjoying d health benefits of fasting 4 over 1400 years, something science is only just discovering. U see, Islam is 1400 years ahead of science. Ramadan fast is unique & no other fasting (muslim or otherwise) is comparable to it . D world is welcom 2 ISLAM, d salvation 4 mankind.

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by mrperfect(m): 1:26pm On Aug 09, 2012
Goods news to poor people, how don't have food to eat three times daily.
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by Tayo114: 1:28pm On Aug 09, 2012
maclatunji: Fasting Matters: Eat, Fast and Live Better

On Monday 6th August, a Horizon documentary was aired on BBC 2 named, "Eat, Fast and Live Longer".

Michael Mosley has set himself a truly ambitious goal: he wants to live longer, stay younger and lose weight in the bargain. And he wants to make as few changes to his life as possible along the way. He discovers the powerful new science behind the ancient idea of fasting, and he thinks he's found a way of doing it that still allows him to enjoy his food. Michael tests out the science of fasting on himself - with life-changing results.

Having watched the programme, we decided to write a few insights about what we learnt but also to revisit what we already knew. This programme serves as a powerful reminder.

WHAT MICHAEL DISCOVERS

In his journey he explores 2 things: (1) Secrets to good health and (2) Secrets to longevity. The first thing he finds is that one should not eat very much paying particular attention to diet. From there he goes on to find a man who knows all about the growth hormone IGF-1 and about fasting. He tells him to fast for 3 days, the results are impressive, Michael reduced the risk of getting many age-related diseases.

He doesn't stop there. He goes on to discover what is called, "intermittent fasting" - a fasting on alternate days. So one day he will fast and the next he will feast. What is very interesting is what he discovers about the effects of fasting on the aging of the brain. Although the tests were on mice, they suggest that human beings have a very good to excellent chance of reducing brain diseases by fasting intermittently.

The results of brain scanning on the mice revealed something far more interesting. They discovered that hunger actually created new brain cells and so by fasting you actually increase your cognitive abilities. So it is exercise for the brain. Hunger makes you sharper.

He then discovers what he calls the 5-2 diet. Eat for 5 days as normal and fast for 2 days. He gives this a go for a few months. The results show that he not only lost well over a stone in weight but significantly reduced his body fat. His IGF-1 reduced by 50%, his glucose dropped to a good level, and his bad cholesterol dropped with his good cholesterol increasing. Therefore he cut the risks he had of getting diseases but if he continues, he doesn't have to take tablets at all.

In conclusion he discovers:

1. Good health and longevity in age lies in diet - food matters.
2. Fasting can be done best according to the 5-2 diet system.
3. Fasting makes you healthier.
4. Fasting makes you sharper.
5. Fasting is not everybody - certain people shouldn't fast, for example a pregnant woman he mentions.

Let's dig into this a little more....

WHAT WE ALREADY KNEW

What Horizon has done, is confirm a constant tradition of Prophets and the pious of this world. Over 1400 years ago - we were told the realities of fasting. Ever since then, we have numerous works on the virtues and wisdoms of fasting. They don't seem to realise that they have confirmed the traditions and habits of the Beloved Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم and those who followed him.

The Word Fasting

The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said,
in an authentic narration by Abu Nu'aym: "صوموا تصحوا", which literally means, "Fast and be healthy." There is a better and far more accurate translation to it and that is "Fast and Flourish." There are only two words used here yet these two words hold so many meanings.

The first word is "Sumoo", fast, this word is derived from the Arabic root of "Saama" and Syriac, "Sawma." It means "to abstain" and when we fast we not only abstain from food and drink, but we also abstain from various desires of the lower soul. The word “fasting” in English is derived from the Old English (Anglo-Saxon) term ‘fæstan’ meaning to “hold firmly”, in the same way we would talk about ‘making fast’ or ‘fasten’, and the sense evolution is via “firm control of oneself,” to “holding to observance.”

The second word, "tasihhu," flourish, comes from the Arabic root of "Sahha/Sihha", which means to be healthy, be in order, to heal or to correct. The reason why the word flourish better suits this is that "flourish" means to be strong, healthy, develop well, to adorn, or to be most productive or at ones peak.

Therefore we discover that fasting encompasses internal and external well being. It isn't just about abstinence but it is much more.

http://theblessedhub.co.uk/blog/13529607
ALLAHU akbar, am proud/happy to be a muslim

10 Likes

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by siddiq202(m): 1:29pm On Aug 09, 2012
mu2sa2: Over 1400 years ago d Almighty God decreed ISLAM as d path for mankind. Fasting one calenda month yearly is a pillar of Islam. It is also recommended to fast every monday & thurday. Muslims hv been enjoying d health benefits of fasting 4 over 1400 years, something science is only just discovering. U see, Islam is 1400 years ahead of science. Ramadan fast is unique & no other fasting (muslim or otherwise) is comparable to it . D world is welcom 2 ISLAM, d salvation 4 mankind.
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by ziccoit: 1:30pm On Aug 09, 2012
What is science but a human knowledge. Human knowledge that is likened to a drop of water out of vastness of oceanic body that belongs to Allah.

Science can not prove anything in Islam rather Islam will prove the authenticity of scientific claims. Who is a scientist where Allah(SWT) talks.

7 Likes

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by noblegas2(m): 1:33pm On Aug 09, 2012
Allah Akbar!!!
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by bid4rich(m): 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
It is good sha o cos it makes me spend less and to be spritually alert as a christian. Also it makes me to know the truth and the meaning of some scriptures and to know God the more.
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by Dawdy(m): 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2012
Allahu Akbar! Ramadan kareem
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by Revolva(m): 1:36pm On Aug 09, 2012
Hahahaa those sceintist should go and imply that idea to the rich saudis and arabs even their own american muslim - who eat belle full everyday of their life not us africans - nigeria where people eat unbalanced diet and sometimes 1-0-1 people are poor here to eat good food here some people eat ones a day - infact yesterday a graduate who lost his job asked me for 200naira after narating his story to me - he wanted to use it to cook food imagine a nation-
As for me I will never fast in ma life
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by sweetcocoa(f): 1:36pm On Aug 09, 2012
Is it fasting with prayers abi starving?
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by ziccoit: 1:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
Nice one @poster.

At the same time, what is science but a human knowledge. Human knowledge that is likened to a drop of water out of vastness of oceanic body that belongs to Allah.

Science can not prove anything in Islam rather Islam will prove the authenticity of scientific claims. Who is a scientist where Allah(SWT) talks.
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by defemz(m): 1:41pm On Aug 09, 2012
please if you eat in the morning and skip afternoon food, can u call that a fast? Just thinking aloud.

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by siddiq202(m): 1:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
defemz: please if you eat in the morning and skip afternoon food, can u call that a fast? Just thinking aloud.
and what is fasting in your own words
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by defemz(m): 1:52pm On Aug 09, 2012
siddiq202:
and what is fasting in your own words

I ask because I ve been doing that since I was in the university. Or is it a crime to ask again?
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by sucezTP(f): 2:07pm On Aug 09, 2012
bid4rich: It is good sha o cos it makes me spend less and to be spritually alert as a christian. Also it makes me to know the truth and the meaning of some scriptures and to know God the more.

Exactly!
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by Maisuya1: 2:08pm On Aug 09, 2012
tiarabubu: You guys should not castigate the scientists. They are only there to report the facts.

What they said was that fasting for one or two days a week makes cells stronger and more resistant to disease.

They didn't say fasting for a whole week or a whole month, ok?

Incidentally, Muslims are encouraged to fast twice a week on the recommendation of the prophet SAW, ( Monday's And Thursday's actually)
Re: Science Confirms Fasting is Good for Human Health by ekitikan(m): 2:14pm On Aug 09, 2012
mu2sa2: Over 1400 years ago d Almighty God decreed ISLAM as d path for mankind. Fasting one calenda month yearly is a pillar of Islam. It is also recommended to fast every monday & thurday. Muslims hv been enjoying d health benefits of fasting 4 over 1400 years, something science is only just discovering. U see, Islam is 1400 years ahead of science. Ramadan fast is unique & no other fasting (muslim or otherwise) is comparable to it . D world is welcom 2 ISLAM, d salvation 4 mankind.

On the matter of fasting and other religion,your education is sadly lacking.ssmh (sadly shaking my head).

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Longest Five Minutes / I Dont Think Ahmadiyya Are Muslims / How To Compliment A Woman In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.