Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,617 members, 7,809,265 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:00 AM

Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad (2955 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by chichimma(f): 2:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
Hi there,

Post here all the Nigerian cultural events ( traditional weddings, party, name ceremonies, wake-keeping, cultural parties, you name it) that take place abroad!

Cheers,

Chichimma

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by chichimma(f): 2:41pm On Aug 09, 2012
b]NEW YAM FESTIVAL / IRI JI FESTIVAL / IGBO DAY 2012
[/b]

CHA CHA IGBO KWENU, KWENU, KWZUE NU!

Igbo Union The Netherlands proudly presents the New Yam - Iri Ji Festival on Saturday 25 August in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. It is an annual event from Nigeria that is organized by the Igbo people from Nigeria and the Diaspora to mark the Igbo cultural activities and its heritage. It is the feast of new yam; the breaking of the yam; and the harvest that is followed by thanksgiving. An offering is put forward and the people pray for renewed life as they eat the new yam with family, friends, guests and well-wishers.

This joyful day is filled with Igbo cultural activities such as the traditional cutting of the yam and its significance, lectures by special guests, presentations, cultural parades, dance, food and music. Igbo Union the Netherlands invite you to be part of this year’s New Yam festival in the Netherlands. Everyone is welcome to taste the new Yam and Nigerian delicacies as well as to be a witness of this great Igbo cultural event.

Date: Saturday 25 August 2012
Time: 14.00
Venue: Amstelborgh- Borchland
Address: Borchlandweg 6-12, 1099 CT Amsterdam
Entrance: FREE
Parking lot: €3

Music by DJ Chucky G [Igbo music, Highlife, Afrobeats] Cultural dance/singing groups

More information:

E-mail: igbouinionnetherlands@gmail.com
Phone: +31685721308 /+31685874900
Facebook: www.facebook.com/igbounionnetherlands (please like our page)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 4:22pm On Aug 09, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 4:33pm On Aug 09, 2012

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 4:45pm On Aug 09, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 8:14pm On Aug 09, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by chichimma(f): 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2012
Great love what you all are doing! cheesy Bringing the Nigerian cultural events abroad! Wonderful! Keep it all up and hope to see more events on this thread!
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 12:50pm On Aug 10, 2012

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 12:53pm On Aug 10, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 1:07pm On Aug 10, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by ezotik: 3:19pm On Aug 10, 2012
lol, how are the church weddings a nigerian cultural event abroad? becos they played p square and wore aso-ebi? grin nice videos tho.
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 4:22pm On Aug 10, 2012
ezotik: lol, how are the church weddings a nigerian cultural event abroad? becos they played p square and wore aso-ebi? grin nice videos tho.

Aso-Ebi is nigerian culturally, the same with the foods eaten there and etc. Church wedding is debatable, P-square is nigerian but their music is a fusion of R&B, nigerian, hip-hop so thaton is debatable, with christainit well in todays age for Nigerian christains it is part of the culture now just like for christain indians and chinese.
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by ezotik: 4:50pm On Aug 10, 2012
anonymous6:

Aso-Ebi is nigerian culturally, the same with the foods eaten there and etc. Church wedding is debatable, P-square is nigerian but their music is a fusion of R&B, nigerian, hip-hop so thaton is debatable, with christainit well in todays age for Nigerian christains it is part of the culture now just like for christain indians and chinese.

church wedding is based on a christian doctrine introduced to u by oyibos. so i dont see how u can present what was introduced to you by oyibos as ur culture in oyibo land. it is laughable. grin
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by ezotik: 4:56pm On Aug 10, 2012
btw about the aso-ebi thingy, whats the meaning of aso-ebi? i always thought it was the equivalent of what we call ukpon-otu in edo -- meaning a group a people wearing clothes from same material. so unless aso-ebi has a different meaning, then groomsmen and bridesmaids in church weddings can also qualify as aso-ebi.. so how is that a nigerian thing 'culturally'? oyibos nor dey clothes together?
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 7:07pm On Aug 10, 2012
ezotik:

church wedding is based on a christian doctrine introduced to u by oyibos. so i dont see how u can present what was introduced to you by oyibos as ur culture in oyibo land. it is laughable. grin

well I know that about oyinbo introduced church wedding but it is inevitable today in Nigeria, especially with Christians when it comes to church wedding but the Op said any celebration from Nigerians outside Nigeria but with Aso-Ebi that is culturally Nigerian particularly Yoruba
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by ezotik: 7:43pm On Aug 10, 2012
i guess u meant the word 'aso-ebi', yeah it is yoruba. but the concept, hell nah!

the title of thread says nigerian 'cultural' events abroad..which i guess implied indigenous culture. not just parties organized by nigerians abroad. so i wouldn't present a church wedding as nigerian 'culture'. but hey, that's just me.
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 7:53pm On Aug 10, 2012
ezotik: i guess u meant the word 'aso-ebi', yeah it is yoruba. but the concept, hell nah!

the title of thread says nigerian 'cultural' events abroad..which i guess implied indigenous culture. not parties organized by nigerians abroad. so i wouldn't present a church wedding as nigerian 'culture'. but hey, that's just me.

Well you have a point to a extent when in regards to "naija cultural event" but Nigerians living in the western world, particularly America, events organized by Nigerians and almost all cases most of their culture is infused in the event is considered a nigerian cultural event(ex. Nigerian wedding, nigerian fashion show, beauty contest and etc). However I understand what you mean about church wedding, that is not originally from Nigeria, traditional wedding is but in todays age it is inevitable(introduction, traditional wedding/engagement, wedding then thanksgiving).
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 10:17pm On Aug 10, 2012
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by Tolaaaaannni(f): 10:38pm On Aug 10, 2012
The videos are nice. Me likey. smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 12:23pm On Aug 11, 2012
Africa: Nigeria to Grace Africa Cultural Festival in Venezuela
http://allafrica.com/stories/201206130415.html

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 12:49pm On Aug 12, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 2:44am On Aug 14, 2012
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by chichimma(f): 3:17pm On Aug 16, 2012
Great Nigerian events happening abroad! It makes me happy to see that we are indulging in positive things that reflects on the Nigerian image. Let's continue to spread out our wings and provide tastes of our cultural events we so proudly celebrate back home. I know there are a lot more Nigerian cultural events celebrated abroad. Just add them here so we can enjoy and be inspired to organize more cultural events abroad.

For you that are based in the Netherlands or will be visiting on Saturday 25th August. Kindly come and enjoy the New Yam Festival/ Iri Ji in Amsterdam. It is free entrance and it will be filled with cultural dance, songs, masquerade, music, food and drinks. It starts from 14.00 pm. Hope to see you there. For more information check the page.

Can you please support the page with a LIKE www.facebook.com/igbounionnetherlands is appreciated cheesy
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 4:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
India’s Bollywood hosts Nigeria’s Nollywood filmmakers – Film Festival To Hold In India
http://topnaijaevents.com/india%E2%80%99s-bollywood-hosts-nigeria%E2%80%99s-nollywood-filmmakers-%E2%80%93-film-festival-to-hold-in-india/

In 2010 it was held in Nigeria: https://www.nairaland.com/813243/nollywood-bollywood-joined-together-host

Other info: https://www.nairaland.com/526532/bollywood-nollywood-collaborate

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 3:33pm On Aug 18, 2012

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 12:46pm On Aug 19, 2012
Urhobo Nationnal Association North America in New york

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndwzKU2E054

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by anonymous6(f): 9:02pm On Aug 25, 2012
Igbo Nigerian Iri Ji Cultural Festival 2009 Highlights in Australia
http://vimeo.com/6626316
Re: Nigerian Cultural Events Abroad by chichimma(f): 12:40am On Sep 05, 2012
Check out the pictures of Iri Ji Festival in the Netherlands on 25th August 2012 at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.463609520328935.109389.174172852605938&type=3.

(1) (Reply)

The Origin Of Eko (lagos) / EDOLAND Teach Me Edo With English Translations...Emwen Edo Na Zedu Ere Y'ebo / What Is Acting Or Talking "White" To You?? ;D

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.