Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

The Origin Of Eko (lagos) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Origin Of Eko (lagos) (2957 Views)

What Is The Origin Of Clapping/applause And Why Is It So Widespread? / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by ciphoenix: 2:41pm On Dec 25, 2012
There is a lot of traditional history at both Benin and Lagos ends relating to the origin of what is now Lagos, its ruler and it's connection with Benin. But perhaps to avoid inadequacies and controversy which the academics claim surrounds traditional history, we may like to hear what some modern historians have to say on this subject. Robert S. Smith, in his book of some principal Yoruba owns, especially in and around Oyo, and the westward expansion in the 17th century of Benin Kingdom with it's number of subject towns on or near to the coast, which included Lagos, went on to say this about Lagos in particular:
"It's name reflect it's past to the Yoruba it's Eko, deriving probablyfrom the farm (Oko) of the earliest settlers, though alternatively-or additionally-it may be the Benin word (Eko) for a war-camp...We say Eko is a Benin word that means camp"
After describing the activities of the armies of Benin under Oba Orhogbua, culminating in his arrival at what is now Lagos, Smith went on to add:
"Sometime later the Oba appointed a ruler for Lagos to represent the interest of Benin and to forward tribute there. The man chosen is named in both Lagos and Benin Tradition as Ashipa"
Smith says that by Lagos account this Ashipa was an IsheriChief, while the Benin account says Ashipa was a grandson of the Oba of Benin. We shall come to this later. Smith was, however, satisfied that Benin had established it's ascendency in Lagos and had founded a dynasty there at some period before 1700.The dyansty's dependence on Benin, Smith found, was emphasized by the appointment of another Chief, the Eletu Odibo, who alone had the right to crown the Oba and who in early times probably maintained close connection withBenin,.(Eletu Odibo is a corruption of the Edo equivalent Olotu Odibo)
"G.T. Stride and C. Ifeka, in their book titled Peoples and empires pf West Africa have this to say on the same subject:
Oba Orhogbua was clearly a strong warrior for he enforced tribute payments from all parts of the empire and in the middle 1550s conquered all the coastal lands up to Lagos where he left a permanent garrison. Tradition in Lagos says that their first Oba, the Eleko of Eko, was a sonof the Oba Orhogbua of Benin"
It will be seen, therefore, that even if we were to disregard traditional history there is enough material from modern historians to confirm the fact that what is now Lagos was founded by an Oba of Benin who also gave it it's first ruler. But wereally cannot disregard traditional history. In Benin tradition, and we believe the same of Yoruba and other ethnic groups in this country, one way to establish that an event in traditional history did occur is by the type of anecdote or adage that evolves from that event . Thus, for instance, We Edo people say that "Orhogbua gb'Olague,ona y'ukpe abekpen z'umwen rie Edo, meaning that Oba Orhogbua defeated Olagueand used sword to bring his salt to Benin, This is in allusion of to the exploits of Oba Orhogbua while in his camp (Eko) from where he over-ran the place known as Mahin with it's ruler whom the Benin People nicknamed Olague. There Orhogbua discovered the common rock salt and brought it to Benin who thereby tasted it for the first time.
Now the name "Ashipa has featured quite prominently (and rightly too) in the history of Lagos. After the Oba Orhogbua returned to Benin from Eko, he appointed a commander or an administrator, who was called Aisikpa to look after the skeleton troop left in the camp(Eko) until he returned again from Benin. He could no longer return having seen the situation at home. The name"Aisikpahienvoborre" which means "people do not desert their home-land. "This is how Aisikpa, whom the Yoruba now call Ashipa, came into the Lagos (Eko) history. Eko is still there asthe traditional Benin name for Lagos; Ashipa has been retained as a senior traditional chieftaincytitle while his descendants now retain the modern name of Oba of Lagos. The interaction of Edo people with others in distant lands must have inevitably resulted in cultural exchanges.
Excerpts From a Lecture on the Evolution of Traditional rulership in Nigeria given under the auspices of the University of Ibadan, Institute of African studies on 11th September,1984 by Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Oba Erediauwa.

http://www.edo-nation.net/eko.htm
Re: The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:49pm On Dec 25, 2012
Interesting...Waiting for the Yoruba people's version of the Origin of Lagos?
But there's a Yoruba fact that mentioned the place where there's sea (Lagos) during Oranmiyan's time. And this Oranmiyan (a Yoruba man, Oduduwa's grandson) was the 1st King of Benin & Oyo Empire.
Re: The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 25, 2012
The piece was quite an interesting read but Benin/Edo have attempted to over-turn history to beam from their own perspective so going by the source you cited, I'm totally refuting the 'history'. Let me consult all the books (authotities in history) I used during my special papers I & II and I wil cite them here for the OP and any Benin-centric history enthusiast as well as knowledge seekers.
Re: The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by ciphoenix: 7:36pm On Dec 25, 2012
9jacrip: The piece was quite an interesting read but Benin/Edo have attempted to over-turn history to beam from their own perspective so going by the source you cited, I'm totally refuting the 'history'. Let me consult all the books (authotities in history) I used during my special papers I & II and I wil cite them here for the OP and any Benin-centric history enthusiast as well as knowledge seekers.
. Would love to see your paper smiley. Meanwhile i'll highlight the original source
ciphoenix: Excerpts From a Lecture on the Evolution of Traditional rulership in Nigeria given under the auspices of the University of Ibadan, Institute of African studies on 11th September,1984 by Omo N'Oba N'Edo Uku Akpolokpolo Oba Erediauwa.
Re: The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by ciphoenix: 7:39pm On Dec 25, 2012
Found this article while i was looking for the meaning of Ashipa though.
Re: The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by Abagworo(m): 9:29pm On Dec 25, 2012
You people just discovered what everyone else already know. But there is more to modern Lagos than the Benin founded Eko because some acceptable Yoruba groups like Egba and Ijebu are major stake holders. The 18th century Eko might probably mean that part of Lagos Island where the palace is located.
Re: The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by NegroNtns(m): 7:14am On Dec 29, 2012
Here is the trail:

IFE
> 16 Beaded Crowns/ 7 political States (insignia of office = Blade/Sword)

OYO
> Olofin left Oyo to settle on the coast (Eko) with Olokun deity (insignia = Horse whisk)

BINI
> Yoruba Crown and State (displaced Ogiso- Edo) (insignia = Blade/Sword)

EKO
> Olofin needed permanent protection against repeated invasions from Dahomey who was hell bent on posessing the salt mines of Mahin. Oyo could not afford to station cavalry on the coast. Bini responded to the call and chased Dahomey back. Olofin camped Bini forces in Eko. Their relationship of alliance was productive, Bini gained from the salt trade and Eko gained from the security. This is how the Bini prince Asikpa became a permanent resident of Eko and his descendants to date.

On descendancy, there are two dynasties in the royal blood today. The first was Akinsemoyin, the second and the one on the throne now is Ologunkutere.
Re: The Origin Of Eko (lagos) by Ninilowo(m): 12:10am On Dec 31, 2012
A book titled "Lagos and Its Environs" by Mr Awofisayo of Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Ijanikin explains all. Grab your copy nowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Nago Hunters Of Bante Kingdom / What Is Acting Or Talking "White" To You?? ;D / EDOLAND Teach Me Edo With English Translations...Emwen Edo Na Zedu Ere Y'ebo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.