Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,014 members, 7,825,184 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! (3588 Views)

Chinese Woman Grows Horn On Head / Do You Still Bite Your Fingernails? / Woman Grows Nails Instead Of Hair Due To Skin Condition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! by Nobody: 9:25am On Aug 11, 2012

Shanya Isom has a rare skin condition which causes fingernails to grow on her head instead of hair. In 2009, Isom had an adverse reaction to asthma steroid medication which caused her skin to darken, bumps to develop on her legs, andfingernails to grow on her head. Doctors are unable todiagnose the disease that causes Shanyna Isom’s skinfollicles to spur nail growthand not hair, according to the Huffington Post.
Isom’s Memphis doctors have attempted a multitude of treatments to stop the criminal justice student from growing nailson her head without success. Shanya Isom has undergone rounds of medication designed to help eczema and staph infections without any improvement.
Desperate to find out why fingernails were growing on her head, Isom underwent tests at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. Doctors discovered that Shanyna’s hair follicles were creating a dozen times as many skincells as hair cells. The treatments which began atJohn Hopkins improved theyoung woman’s quality of life at least slightly.
“They’ve tested me from A to Z and everything was coming back negative. I couldn’t sit up, I couldn’t walk. Now I can walk with a cane and sometimes I canwalk on my own,” ShanynaIsom told WAFB.
Isom’s medical bills to attempt to diagnose and treat the fingernails growing on her head have already reached at least$250,000. Shanyna has to take 17 medications a day to prevent increased nail growth on her head; her state-issued insurance card covers just five of the medications, according to the New York Daily News. Shanyna Isom believes she is the only person in the world who has fingernails growing on her head and has created the S.A.I. Foundation to raise money her own medical bills and to help others who could eventually suffer from the same nail growing condition.

_
SOURCE
Re: Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! by Acidosis(m): 9:39am On Aug 11, 2012
where are the nails? or is my screen that small. . .
Re: Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! by Sijo01(f): 11:41am On Aug 11, 2012
Acidosis: where are the nails? or is my screen that small. . .

Lets keep looking........ It will be seen soonest.
Re: Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! by cindyrella(f): 12:42pm On Aug 11, 2012
Acidosis: where are the nails? or is my screen that small. . .
I am looking for them too.
Re: Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 11, 2012
same here
Re: Shocking: Woman Grows Fingernails On Her Head!!! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Aug 11, 2012
Me too.

(1) (Reply)

Let's Talk Vagina: Clean,odorless And Healthy Tips... / 7 Ways To Save A Vagaina Now / Help Me Please!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.