Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,591 members, 7,809,145 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:11 AM

Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great (11353 Views)

Mansa: Season 1 (A Ghanaian story) / Village Menace 1 (A Serial Story) / Calling All Greek Mythology Fans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 7:04pm On Aug 11, 2012
Good Evening Nairalanders...I have been nurturing an idea about a friendly writing challenge for Prose and Poetry Writers..I also envision it to be a Monthly Affair (If Possible)

THEMES:

- Write a Story/Poem of how to end Boko-Haram from the Perspective of a 10 year old girl living in Borno...

- Write a Story/Poem about the last 30 seconds of a man's life after he is shot by an unknown gunman.

RULES:

- You can submit a story and poem for one theme only.
- Light or Inferred Erotica is Allowed
- No Racial Slurs/Slangs Please
- Use of Foreign/Indigenous Languages with Write-Up is Permitted but subsequent translation should be made in English.

PRIZE: A $20 gift card for book shopping for top three entries and many more

DEADLINE: 29th of August 2012, Winning Entries will be announced by First week of September

Selected Entries will be put up in a poll for Votes to select the top three.

I really hope to see as many writers as possible take up the challenge.

Suggestions,Criticism and Questions are Welcome...

Let the Ink Flow...

UPDATE: Due to suggestions and amount of interested writers, The contests deadline is now 28th of August 2012...Poll & Top Entries will come in a few days later and the winners by end of First Week of September 2012..Prizes will be distributed by Second Week. Kindly Send All Entries to: nairalandwriterschallenge@yahoo.com

UPDATE 2: At all contestants please ensure that your write-ups are not replicated or found anywhere else on the found or it may considered plagiarism..

UPDATE 3 (VERY IMPORTANT): Please unsure you send in your nairaland username along with your entries...All entries without a nairaland username will be disqualified..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by ODB2: 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2012
I feel so honored to be the first comment. All of my hardwork and dedication has paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and i would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. First and foremost i would like to thank god for giving me this opportunity. Next i would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my dog Smurf, for being really small and brave and always there for me. I would also like to thank my turtle pet cookie for surviving against all odds for over a week without water. Next i would like to thank the lucky my pitbull that lives in my backyard for been really fat because that gives me inspiration that i need to get through the day. I also want to thank my cousin for giving me someone to beat in Mario Kart. This is a special moment in my life and i would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that i will never forget. I just remembered a few other people i would like to thank; facebook, the fish i ate deep fried, my light in my room bc i wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on facebook, my house because without it i would be homeless, and last but not least i would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how i did this, i would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, i would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the top comment is amazing,thank you everyone.

5 Likes

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 7:19pm On Aug 11, 2012
mkmyers45: Good Evening Nairalanders...I have been nurturing an idea about a friendly writing challenge for Prose and Poetry Writers..I also envision it to be a Monthly Affair (If Possible)

THEMES:

- Write a Story/Poem of how to end Boko-Haram from the Perspective of a 10 year old girl living in Borno...

- Write a Story/Poem about the last 30 seconds of a man's life after he is shot by an unknown gunman.

RULES:

- You can submit a story and poem for one theme only.
- Light or Inferred Erotica is Allowed
- No Racial Slurs/Slangs Please
- Use of Foreign/Indigenous Languages with Write-Up is Permitted but subsequent translation should be made in English.

PRIZE: A $20 gift card for book shopping for top three entries and many more

DEADLINE: 29th of September 2012, Winning Entries will be announced by First week of October

Selected Entries will be put up in a poll for Votes to select the top three.

I really hope to see as many writers as possible take up the challenge.

Suggestions,Criticism and Questions are Welcome...

Let the Ink Flow...

How are u planning on raising $60? It doesnt come that easy you know, right? cheesy
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 7:23pm On Aug 11, 2012
Cuddlemii:

How are u planning on raising $60? It doesnt come that easy you know, right? cheesy

I know...i have a gift card so i just need to get 2 extra and that won't be too much problem cheesy cool

2 Likes

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 7:27pm On Aug 11, 2012
mkmyers45:

I know...i have a gift card so i just need to get 2 extra and that won't be too much problem cheesy cool

Ok rich kid, do your thing! wink
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 7:32pm On Aug 11, 2012
Cuddlemii:

Ok rich passonaite kid, do your thing! wink

Thanks Ma'am

1 Like

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by ODB2: 7:45pm On Aug 11, 2012
Here is my entry. I purposely screen-capped it so none of these plagiarist will steal it.

Cheerio!

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 7:58pm On Aug 11, 2012
All Entries should be sent to: nairalandwriterschallenge@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by ODB2: 8:02pm On Aug 11, 2012
mkmyers45: All Entries should be sent nairalandwriterschallenge@yahoo.com

alrite then

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 11, 2012
Yay! I've never won anything before. sad But I'll try my best to prove my existence dattebayo!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 7:33am On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45: All Entries should be sent nairalandcaw@gmail.com

I don't think you should be the one with the access to the email address. I think I should create one instead & give you access too. I won't want to be involved in a project that has its host stealing writer's ideas & ripping them off. This is a faceless forum & God forbid, you could be desperate for a break. Won't take chances.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 7:40am On Aug 12, 2012
Members should send their write-ups here ------>nairalandwriterschallenge@yahoo.com
I will update u on the password later. Cheers!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 7:50am On Aug 12, 2012
Cuddlemii:

I don't think you should be the one with the access to the email address. I think I should create one instead & give you access too. I won't want to be involved in a project that has its host stealing writer's ideas & ripping them off. This is a faceless forum & God forbid, you could be desperate for a break. Won't take chances.

Good Idea...thats one of the reason i talked to you first to ensure fairness...and i promise that everyone's intellectual property will be safe..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 9:20am On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45:

Good Idea...thats one of the reason i talked to you first to ensure fairness...and i promise that everyone's intellectual property will be safe..

Ok if u need anything, let me know!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mikuz(m): 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2012
Cuddlemii have you started again?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by SisiKill1: 2:39pm On Aug 12, 2012
My submission

Let me begin by quoting a great man, a wise, brilliant man, A true prophet "Nigeria is not the first country to face bombing! Don't worry It will pass. Go about your normal life"

Where do I go for my prize? grin
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by illicit(m): 2:43pm On Aug 12, 2012
ok am in, but no favouritism here o, and no steal my write ups o unless person wan die o.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by OkikiOluwa1(m): 2:43pm On Aug 12, 2012
K. Let me try
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by SisiKill1: 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2012
O_D_B: I feel so honored to be the first comment. All of my hardwork and dedication has paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and i would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. First and foremost i would like to thank god for giving me this opportunity. Next i would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my dog Smurf, for being really small and brave and always there for me. I would also like to thank my turtle pet cookie for surviving against all odds for over a week without water. Next i would like to thank the lucky my pitbull that lives in my backyard for been really fat because that gives me inspiration that i need to get through the day. I also want to thank my cousin for giving me someone to beat in Mario Kart. This is a special moment in my life and i would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that i will never forget. I just remembered a few other people i would like to thank; facebook, the fish i ate deep fried, my light in my room bc i wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on facebook, my house because without it i would be homeless, and last but not least i would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how i did this, i would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, i would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the top comment is amazing,thank you everyone.

Dude, when are you gonna start giving lectures and seminars? You can't tell people to follow their dreams and not show them how. You are not gonna be one of those successful people who hoard the infomation on how they became a success. . .are you? undecided
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by crackhouse(m): 2:46pm On Aug 12, 2012
O.k since it will last for more than 1month. I will not bother myself now until it's 3 days to the deadline. Thanks
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Delafruita(m): 2:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
since its a contest for nairalanders,i suggest a simple and straightforward contest.there's no need for email addresses,entries should be posted here on nairaland and the thread should constantly remain on the frontpage.the best entires get shhortlisted and a poll is conducted to select the winner.
please note that modifications could be required to my suggestion

3 Likes

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Cuddlemii: 2:52pm On Aug 12, 2012
mikuz: Cuddlemii have you started again?

No this is one is not my baby. Mymyers45 hooked it up!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by boolet: 3:11pm On Aug 12, 2012
@mkmyers45... You mean racist slangs, and not racial slangs. because in choosing the diction for any literary piece, there should be no limitations as to the use of colloquial expressions. Racism is the crime and racial affiliation isn't.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by CrazyMan(m): 3:13pm On Aug 12, 2012
crackhouse: O.k since it will last for more than 1month. I will not bother myself now until it's 3 days to the deadline. Thanks
Hmmmm
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by lolaluv1(f): 3:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
Very nice concept! Kinda scary putting your work up for som'n like this, though!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mediainspired: 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2012
NOTED. But i think u left out som details in d entry details like wordcount &point size (these criteria are necessary to allow for easy assessment/management). I'll enter. I'm brewing my ideas already; but I hope it's merit-based (unlike d typical Nigerian 'competitions' dat ar rigged in favor of dere own ppl). How are u judging? Culd u convince me a little more?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mediainspired: 3:31pm On Aug 12, 2012
winkAnd why are u giving a space of up to 6 weeks? Too long for d short piece u want! A natural/good writer will churn out a compelling piece dat short within a week.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by uceee(m): 3:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
O_D_B: I feel so honored to be the first comment. All of my hardwork and dedication has paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and i would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. First and foremost i would like to thank god for giving me this opportunity. Next i would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my dog Smurf, for being really small and brave and always there for me. I would also like to thank my turtle pet cookie for surviving against all odds for over a week without water. Next i would like to thank the lucky my pitbull that lives in my backyard for been really fat because that gives me inspiration that i need to get through the day. I also want to thank my cousin for giving me someone to beat in Mario Kart. This is a special moment in my life and i would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that i will never forget. I just remembered a few other people i would like to thank; facebook, the fish i ate deep fried, my light in my room bc i wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on facebook, my house because without it i would be homeless, and last but not least i would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how i did this, i would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, i would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the top comment is amazing,thank you everyone.
Congratulations!!!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 3:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
boolet: @mkmyers45... You mean racist slangs, and not racial slangs. because in choosing the diction for any literary piece, there should be no limitations as to the use of colloquial expressions. Racism is the crime and racial affiliation isn't.

Correction noted
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mediainspired: 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
Also, how are u going to guard against cheating/plagiarism/lifting from Google &ppl mass-voting their candidate for reasons other than merit?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 3:48pm On Aug 12, 2012
mediainspired: NOTED. But i think u left out som details in d entry details like wordcount &point size (these criteria are necessary to allow for easy assessment/management). I'll enter. I'm brewing my ideas already; but I hope it's merit-based (unlike d typical Nigerian 'competitions' dat ar rigged in favor of dere own ppl). How are u judging? Culd u convince me a little more?

No we will try to be as fair as humanly possible, Top Entries will be screened and polled up so users can choose the winner

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) / The Seer...in Your Mind!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.