Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,913 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

@sienna Et. Al The Battery Of My Audi A6 Runs Down Intermittently - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / @sienna Et. Al The Battery Of My Audi A6 Runs Down Intermittently (1556 Views)

Help! My Audi A4 Takes Too Much Fuel!! / PRND432 Display On My Audi A6 / How Do I Take Care Of My Audi A6r (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

@sienna Et. Al The Battery Of My Audi A6 Runs Down Intermittently by 8ightball: 8:17pm On Aug 12, 2012
Hello,
The battery of my Audi A6 runs down whenever I park it for even a day without using it. I was told that there is a leakage somewhere, I never leave anything on that could drain the battery apart from the factory fitted security. What could be wrong? CC: Sienna
Thanks
Re: @sienna Et. Al The Battery Of My Audi A6 Runs Down Intermittently by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 12, 2012
If the battery is in good shape, as in it has no defective cells, then something's drawing excess current whilst the engine isn't running.

Is your audio equipment the OEM Audi Concert, or an aftermarket unit? When your battery goes flat, how do you charge it up?
Re: @sienna Et. Al The Battery Of My Audi A6 Runs Down Intermittently by 8ightball: 8:40pm On Aug 12, 2012
I imported the car from the USA and have been using the battery that came with it. Till it first ran down, I was told the battery was dead and bought a brand new one and the same incident occurred again.The Audio equipment is the original OEM unit, it came with the car although since you brought up the issue of the audio system I noticed for some time before the battery started to drain down that after whenever I put on my radio I hear a snowy sound from one of the speakers and it doesnt subside even when the car is put off for some few seconds although not as loud as when the car is on.
Re: @sienna Et. Al The Battery Of My Audi A6 Runs Down Intermittently by nahinbdis: 8:33am On Aug 13, 2012
I had this same issue on my ford explorer. There is definitely something drawing current while the car is parked. Stop gap solution is to remove the positive battery head when the car will be parked for a day or more. To detect the actual fault, you will need a technician with a voltmeter to trace the fault. In the absence of that, one with wires and light bulb will do. Park the car with engine turned off, then test which equipment is still drawing current. Its a simple procedure that you can do if you have the equipment.
Re: @sienna Et. Al The Battery Of My Audi A6 Runs Down Intermittently by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 13, 2012
nahinbdis: To detect the actual fault, you will need a technician with a voltmeter to trace the fault.

If a technician tells you he needs a Voltmeter to detect current drain, I'd be worried. You're measuring current drain, rather than voltage drop, so an Ampmeter is needed. It's connected in series with the positive terminal with ALL accessories switched off to determine how much current is being drawn. The current drain from the clock and alarm (a factory one) is negligable.

(1) (Reply)

What Should I Do To My 1999 Toyota Camry Before I Leave Town For About 6 Months / Please I Need Opinions On Honda Accord 2000 / Is Nissan Altima 2008 V4 Model A Good Buy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.