Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,190 members, 7,818,619 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy (23163 Views)

Why The Wrong Sleeping Position Can Kill Your Baby. / How To Avoid Pregnancy Naturally / Horrifying Things That Can Happen During Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by titilaelae(f): 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2007
Can the experts in the house tell me the best sleeping position a pregnant woman can adopt? I know lying face down is BAD, lying on the side is good (but some people said one side is better than the other, is it true , how about lying face up, on the back? Are there any risks to it? Please respond.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by ifyalways(f): 5:38pm On Dec 22, 2007
anyhow,as long as you are comfortable.
there are no laid down rules here.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by naijaking1: 6:49pm On Dec 22, 2007
ifyalways:

anyhow,as long as you are comfortable.
there are no laid down rules here.

There is actually a laid down rule: it's called the left lateral position.

With progression of pregnanacy, the fetal weight increases with the compression of the major blood vessels, especially the inferior vena cava.

With this compression comes return of insifficient blood to the heart and subsequent onset of symptoms- pain, dizziness, cramping, shortness of breath, etc.

Because of the anatomy of the IVC in relation to the aorta and the vertebral column, lying on the left side relieves the pressure and symptoms associated with this condition.

Lying on the right side does not give as much relief as lying on the left.

Lying on your back would understandably give you symptoms.

In addition to lying on your back, another important consideration at this late stage of the pregnancy is to drink lots of fluid.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by ifyalways(f): 7:02pm On Dec 22, 2007
naijaking1:

With progression of pregnanacy, the fetal weight increases with the compression of the major blood vessels, especially the inferior vena cava.

With this compression comes return of insifficient blood to the heart and subsequent onset of symptoms- pain, dizziness, cramping, shortness of breath, etc.

Because of the anatomy of the IVC in relation to the aorta and the vertebral column, lying on the left side relieves the pressure and symptoms associated with this condition.

In addition to lying on your back, another important consideration at this late stage of the pregnancy is to drink lots of fluid.
really?but i have come across women that lied on their backs throughout pregnacy dear.the left lateral position is cool and medically ok BUT that does not mean its the best position  for EVERY woman.anyway your post did justice to the question asked. cool
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by naijaking1: 5:47am On Dec 23, 2007
ifyalways:

really?but i have come across women that lied on their back throughout preganancy dear.the left lateral position is cool and medically ok BUT that doesnt mean its the best position for EVERY woman.

You're confusing the women you met with the poster who obviously has symptoms.

My consult is for the patient complaining, no time rhetorics.

Unless you're an M.D, like I am, I would not argue medicine with you.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by almondjoy(f): 7:37am On Dec 23, 2007
---------------------Left Side
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by almondjoy(f): 7:42am On Dec 23, 2007
naijaking1:

Correct! Thank you Naijaking!  Always with sound medical advice. kiss

Lying on the back especially as the pregnancy progresses causes Vena Cava Sydrome and renders the woman extremely hypotensive and prone to dizzy spells having compressed her major arteries and veins with the bulging fetus against the spine.

You are right--the best position is the left lateral--simple English--means left side.  The abdomen and back are no go areas.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by ifyalways(f): 7:26pm On Dec 23, 2007
naijaking1:

i have not boasted of being an M.D so thats quite uncalled for.moreover am not arguing with you,got no time for that infact. kiss
happy holidays. cool
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by funkybaby(f): 8:47pm On Dec 23, 2007
@ifyalways
Are you a medical doctor? Are you even married or ever been pregnant

Why come here and argue/advice on something you know nothing about.

You are even arguing with the medical doctor.

You are making yourself look silly and making a fool of yourself.

You know nothing about the poster's issue so stop arguing blindly and giving wrong advice/confusing the poster!

1 Like

Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by ifyalways(f): 8:52pm On Dec 23, 2007
funkybaby:

@ifyalways
Are you a medical doctor? Are you even married or ever been pregnant

Why come here and argue/advice on something you know nothing about.

You are even arguing with the medical doctor.

You are making yourself look silly and making a fool of yourself.

You know nothing about the poster's issue so stop arguing blindly and giving wrong advice/confusing the poster!
where are you coming out from
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by funkybaby(f): 9:49pm On Dec 23, 2007
@ifyalways
Why edit your posts after i scolded you and revealed your foolishness?

You've only succeeded in making yourself look very silly.

Coming here to argue with a medical doc when you know nothing about laid down rules and procedures for pregnant women.

You had better relocate to the romance/sexuality/dating section. Am sure your advice and posts will be appreciated more there.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by ifyalways(f): 10:11pm On Dec 23, 2007
i wonder which of my posts that i have edited dear 
moreover you are yet to contribute to the topic,now whys that 
this is an open forum just incase you have forgotten and my saying my opinion or what i felt its right and being corrected and put right is no crime  cool
i believe you have grown past your learning stage in life so MADAM why not take a walk ?
i refuse to be drawn into a pointless argument with you ,so gooday. cool

3 Likes

Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by funkybaby(f): 10:20pm On Dec 23, 2007
@ifyalways
You are right, girl. I've grown past the learning stage which is why i have to pass a few lessons to someone like.

You do not have to tell lies, girl. You've edited your post. Are you blind? Its freaking obvious. Look at naijaking's last post. Where she made reference to your post arguing with her offer the issue.

Fine,i agree its a public forum but you do not act like you are so sure of something you know nothing nor have any knowledge about.

I doubt if you take to corrections. Cos if you do, you wont be arguing with the doc.

Like i said earlier, move over to sexuality section. Your expertise in that field is appreciated there.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by funkybaby(f): 10:23pm On Dec 23, 2007
@ifyalways
You are right, girl. I've grown past the learning stage which is why i have to pass a few lessons to someone like.

You do not have to tell lies, girl. You've edited your post. Are you blind? Its freaking obvious. Look at naijaking's last post. Where she made reference to your post arguing with her offer the issue.

Fine,i agree its a public forum but you do not act like you are so sure of something you know nothing nor have any knowledge about.

I doubt if you take to corrections. Cos if you do, you wont be arguing with the doc.

Like i said earlier, move over to sexuality section. Your expertise in that field is appreciated there.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 23, 2007
am not a doctor. . .yet. but a few months ago when my mom was pregnant, she preferred to sleep on her side. i don't know why, but i think it gives her relief on her back. i feel for pregnant mammies o. . .having that carry those loads, lol, my mom walked like it was painful after her 8th months.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by gentleone(f): 12:00pm On Dec 24, 2007
naijaking1:

yea, lying on my back makes me dizzy nowadays but i used to lie on my back before cos it relieves me of the backpain.
i lie on my right side now and its comfortable, i have pains just above my stomach so i dont feel comfortable lying on the left side at all.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by funkybaby(f): 12:54pm On Dec 24, 2007
@midolo
You are right.

I dunno if seun intends giving awards to the individual with the highest posts.

I have also noticed that the girl is fond of posting rubbish but i could not help leashing out to here when i found her silly, misinformative post on the HEALTH section of all sections.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by ifyalways(f): 4:47pm On Dec 24, 2007
Midolo:

Funkybaby, it's obvious that some people just like to post anywhere and everywhere, whether it makes sense or not. In a quest to increase their post count they just post rubbish everywhere and turn what should have been an educative and informative topic into JUNK.[fIf you check ifyalways' previous posts, you will see that she falls into this category of people.I suggest you stop exchanging words with her because you will just be wasting your time and you are more sensible than that. Merry Christmas. smiley
i would pretend i didnt see that for now.
we would discuss that somewhere else not here.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 24, 2007
ifyalways:

i would pretend i didnt see that for now.
we would discuss that somewhere else not here.

My dear, it's your Birthday, don't stress. . . kiss
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by titilaelae(f): 4:39pm On Dec 27, 2007
Compliment of the season to you all. Thanks a bunch for your posts.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by TOYOSI20(f): 8:03am On Jan 06, 2009
I think on ur side is best, . . . . .

cos of course lying on ur chest would be impossible and lying on ur back wouldn't be advisable as well,
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by Jummy4real(f): 10:47am On Jan 14, 2009
@Poster,

I'm not a Medical Doctor but I was told that lying on your left side is actually good for you and your baby: It improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and it helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body. That, in turn, reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands. If you train yourself to sleep on your left side early on, you'll have an easier time falling asleep when your belly is bulging later. Although there's no real harm in sleeping on your right side,

During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by MIMIPAM: 11:11am On Jan 14, 2009
CONTRIBUTING TO THE TOPIC DOSE NOT NEED ANY INSULT .FUNKYBABY AND IFYALWAYS TAKE NOTE PLEASE, WE ARE MEANT TO HELP ONE ANOTHER AND NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND.
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by marami: 10:51am On Feb 03, 2009
Jummy4real:

@Poster,

I'm not a Medical Doctor but I was told that lying on your left side is actually good for you and your baby: It improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and it helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body. That, in turn, reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands. If you train yourself to sleep on your left side early on, you'll have an easier time falling asleep when your belly is bulging later. Although there's no real harm in sleeping on your right side,

During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.

Jummy4real, like some people say that female child reside on the left side of the body, will lying on that side of the body not affect the baby. (not too sure though)
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by titilaelae(f): 5:00pm On Feb 03, 2009
[/quote]

, , sleep anyway that makes you comfortable. You always have to remember that your baby is in a sac of water. It acts as a shock absorber so don't worry, friendsmiley
[quote]

Above was from Dr. kathyekiti and she sure is right. Anytime I 'mis-sleep' I'll feel uncomfortable and quickly adjust myself.

marami:

Jummy4real, like some people say that female child reside on the left side of the body, will lying on that side of the body not affect the baby. (not too sure though)

Really? Am hearing/reading this for the first time. It's funny but well, it may be true oh
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by drlizzy(f): 10:38am On Feb 06, 2009
All said,the best position is the left side
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by Ademo2: 11:38am On Jul 21, 2013
left lateral position is d best position 4 pregnant women,ishort d recomended one medicaly,cos it actualy go in line wit blood suply 2 u nd your growin fetus
Re: Best Sleeping Position During Pregnancy by jbblues24(m): 1:56am On Jun 02, 2019
This shapes blew my mind. cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Woman Dies From Drinking Too Much Coca Cola / Ladies! 6 Ways To Cure Vaginal Itching / 5 Igbo Nigerian Men Die In New Delhi, India Within A Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.