Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,101 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale (1754 Views)

Wireless Hotspot On My Pc / How To Create A Wireless Hotspot On A Computer / How Can I Download A Large Size File, Very Fast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by selfmade12: 2:18pm On Aug 14, 2012
Hello, what are the probable challenges of hotspot on a large scale, as we are on embarking on one?

we are have successfully, delivered when it comes to offering internet services to our customers at least for past for years, and this time around we want to take it to their various homes. All Equipments are ready. a mikrotik access point, septorial antenna that can go as far as 3 miles, a three storey building where the antenna is going to be mounted/erected, plus every other thing.

i just want to be prepared and familiarized risk and challenges if this.

I'll appreciate every advice.
thanks.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by ariyebaba(m): 6:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
Am thinking of investing in hot spot. Like hw much will it cost me ?

A friend of mine told me about the ''HACKERS''. I guess there is more..........................

They say business is a pool of risk.

Try it,i believe u will smile @ d end.

Computer savvy guys should shed more light on this for all to learn.

Where is maleeq & others ?
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by samfibby(m): 6:19pm On Aug 17, 2012
There isnt really much risk involved in setting up a hotspot especially with mikrotik as it uses the linux kernel distribution (very stable, secure and got options of load balancing and failover). I have worked with Freebsd distributions like pfsense and coova AP, i come to find mikrotik most reliable, though with little documentation for freshers. The forum is the busiest there is and a lot of experieced guys here in nigeria and abroad. If security is a major concern you might set up a radius server with windows server 2008 or linux.

1 Like

Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by routik(m): 8:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
samfibby: There isnt really much risk involved in setting up a hotspot especially with mikrotik as it uses the linux kernel distribution (very stable, secure and got options of load balancing and failover). I have worked with Freebsd distributions like pfsense and coova AP, i come to find mikrotik most reliable, though with little documentation for freshers. The forum is the busiest there is and a lot of experieced guys here in nigeria and abroad. If security is a major concern you might set up a radius server with windows server 2008 or linux.

@ Poster, with the above response, i don't think you have any reason to scared of hackers, at worst you consult mikrotik experts to help you out.
Don't forget to always backup your configurations. it will be easier for you to reinstall and restore if anything goes wrong.

cheers.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by speedzojie: 1:25pm On Aug 20, 2012
@samfibby does 2008 server have any dedicated function for radius servers or one might just set up from the scratch.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by samfibby(m): 2:00pm On Aug 20, 2012
@speedzojie. Windows Network Policy Server using PAP works fine, but then you would have to live with having plain text password. I tried using normal chap and md5 chap, but replies i get are discoraging but pap works fine.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by speedzojie: 7:54pm On Aug 20, 2012
@samfibby, I will settle for linux, freeradius, PHP and MySQL. that way will be able use md5 + salting encryption. I strongly do not advise plaint text passwords.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by samfibby(m): 10:09pm On Aug 20, 2012
windows has more authentication option in case other vendor equipments might ship in the nearest future. i just havent been able to find a way around it, i guess winbox encrypts with md5 chap encryption, this is the genesis of my headache. I tried reverse encryption in active directory, it authenticates (it says Authentication failed due to a user credentials mismatch),my log view indicates connected, but frequently diconnects routerboard. i am also thinking of authenticating with freeradius on windows server, but its a productive network. I am not a fan of linux, but i might give it a try on a test lab. For now, i am stuck with pap.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by alphabee2004(m): 11:14am On Aug 22, 2012
Hello guys, I also have some challenges using Antamedia Hotspot software. I am using a Linksys N series wireless router. Have installed and cracked my Antamedia software, the systems are secured quite all right but the codes generated can not be used. Each time i tried its always the same answer {WRONG LOGIN}. I really need help pls. Alphonzo-Abj.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by samfibby(m): 8:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
Antamedia is window based, very unstable. support for this software is totally abysmal. Thank ur stars, u didnt pay for it. Read the post from the beginning, try your hands on the open source, they fare better and the development teams are always ready to help, u could find users online and forums useful too.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by gator666: 11:33am On Aug 23, 2012
MikroTik has RADIUS server built in.
Re: Risks And Challenges Of Hotspot On A Large Scale by TruenNet: 10:19pm On Sep 11, 2012
We do Hotspot and much more with Mikrotik.
Email us at info@truennetworks.com or visit our website.

(1) (Reply)

Dell E7440 For Sale / Tha Nu Ip Address / Etisalat Unlimited Data

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.