Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,948 members, 7,952,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:18 AM

My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! (19528 Views)

Please Advise A Brother / Suffering Continues On Abuja-Keffi Road / Help! My Sister And Her Husband Want To Remain As Illegal Immigrants In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Rhino5dm: 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
No, This is what we call appeal in Italy. It works like charm.

-No prayer or fasting needed.
-Easily and quietly done.
-100% effective.
-Less time required.

seedord247:

Is that what you call appeal in Naija sir?
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by deshclones(m): 2:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
seedord247:

Is that what you call appeal in Naija sir?

Pay the amala man no heed..it is a well known fact that he is irredeemably dumb and shamefully silly.....same with you seedord the silly H-factor pronouncing crackhead...
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by dasparrow: 2:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
@Post

Some american professors can be very vindictive. This is why here in america for instance, before taking a course students ask around for which professor to take. They avoid bad belle professors like the one your sister had and go with easy going kind hearted professors instead that make learning fun. As for advice, I would say she should write an appeal and file a complaint with the ombuds office.

deshclones: O boy your story dey somehow....comeooo...must she school abroad?what about all the good federal unis in naija??...nawaoh..methinks its better to be a lion in the jungle than a dog in the city....let her kuku take the 3.1 result or repeat the year....thats the kind of stuff ones sees in a foreign land...kpele

you cant help it...97% of NLanders me inclusive will derail...live with it.

I don't blame those who go abroad to study. Nigerian universities are crawling with .ra.pi/sts, cult members and their activities not to mention the incessant strikes and lecturers who molest their female students by asking them for .se.x/ual favours or threaten to fail them in their course. In addition, libraries are not well stacked with the latest edition of books and science labs leave much to be desired. I don't know about you but I would not want my kids learning in such an environment. I did not attend university in Nigeria and neither will my children once its time for them to go to college.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by somebody(f): 2:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ok I think she needs to appeal but knowing UK universities, I know they can be very strict but I think it doesn't hurt to try. I know someone who graduated with a third class after something similar happened to him but not sure if the offer to redo the module was given. She should look at completing the module in February - the Home Office will extend her visa based on the circumstances. The tuition fee is not a hurdle - let her extend her visa first and deal with fees later. Work from now till February and save some money to offset the tuition - can you guys back at home support her with some funds too - no matter how little?

Most importantly, I don't know how things work now but when I studied your mark is restricted to 40% if you redo the module. Can your sister find out if this would be the case and if a 40% would have an impact on her still getting a 2.1?

Finally, is she able to prove that she is victim of a witch hunt by the lecturer? These things can be quite difficult to prove.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Rhino5dm: 2:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
sei cane bastardo.

deshclones:

Pay the amala man no heed..it is a well known fact that he is irredeemably dumb and shamefully silly.....same with you seedord the silly H-factor pronouncing crackhead...
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by afolayangs(m): 2:30pm On Aug 16, 2012
@poster,

ur uncle and his wife had rily tried cos i knw wht it takes to pay international students fees in those part of the world.

pls u pple in naija shd do something after all she's ur sister and am sure she will assist you more in the future than wht she will do for ur uncle and his wife.

tnx

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by freecocoa(f): 2:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
Stories that touches.

Tell your sister pele on my behalf and please don't blame your uncle\his family for anything,i think you should be grateful for how they've helped already,its not everyday that you find people who can cough out a little from what they have,things might be hard for them too so quit whining about her being a nanny and all,she should be able to do something in return for someone helping her,though i know how some relatives can be overbearing but still.....

Btw you make this your sister sound so perfect like she can never be wrong or something,anyways there are some loopholes in your story but people with idea on how the Uk educational system works should be able to help with tangible advice, anyhow if nothing can be done since you guys can't afford to pay for another session or semester as the case maybe,I'd advice she collects the 3rd class and push forward.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by deshclones(m): 2:40pm On Aug 16, 2012
dasparrow: @Post

Some american professors can be very vindictive. This is why here in america for instance, before taking a course students ask around for which professor to take. They avoid bad belle professors like the one your sister had and go with easy going kind hearted professors instead that make learning fun. As for advice, I would say she should write an appeal and file a complaint with the ombuds office.

I don't blame those who go abroad to study. Nigerian universities are crawling with .ra.pi/sts, cult members and their activities not to mention the incessant strikes and lecturers who molest their female students by asking them for .se.x/ual favours or threaten to fail them in their course. In addition, libraries are not well stacked with the latest edition of books and science labs leave much to be desired. I don't know about you but I would not want my kids learning in such an environment. I did not attend university in Nigeria and neither will my children once its time for them to go to college.

Bro you are ignorant..sorry to say...where in this world is there no social vices?do you know how many students in u.s and europe that are killed,raped and stabbed annually by gangs?...what of our dear NLander bawo??..
it is only lazy girls that opt to sleep with lecturers inorder to pass...i doubt if a girl that knows her onions will stoop so low..strike is almost a thing of the past in some fed.uni here..a school like unizik has never gone on strike in the last 6-8yrs....i share a different view...all my kids will do their first degree here in nigeria.....i did my first degree here in naija and i don't think i will ever regret it..i learnt alot..both academically,social wise and most importantly how to lookout for myself...anybody that can survive academically in naija with its attendant wahala can survive anywhere..moreover schooling abroad doesn't mean one is bright..90% of applicants that passed the aptitude test of the coy i work with are all nigerian schooled graduates...most foreign school applicants failed mere shl..so whats your argument??life is tough and hard everywhere europe inclusive.

7 Likes

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by deshclones(m): 2:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
sei cane bastardo.

votre penis pere
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by blank(f): 2:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
How cansomeone complete 3 whole years in a British university and not know that you submit both soft and hard copies?
Why did she not apply for mitigating circumstances?
Please, tell this your story to those that do not know abeg.

Someone opened a thread not too long ago asking why people expect their uncles/aunties to pay their tuition in foreign universities. U can imagine how entitled she feels that she doesnt know that she should be grateful. If she didnt want to be their nanny, she should have paid her own tuition. Also, aren't there people doing security work to pay their way through school? Mtsheew.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Tadup: 2:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
obowunmi: Collect third class and move on. She shouldn't waste anymore time in the school.

Goodluck!
yes. She should follow the lowest resistance path!
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by deshclones(m): 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
blank: How cansomeone complete 3 whole years in a British university and not know that you submit both soft and hard copies?
Why did she not apply for mitigating circumstances?
Please, tell this your story to those that do not know abeg.

Someone opened a thread not too long ago asking why people expect their uncles/aunties to pay their tuition in foreign universities. U can imagine how entitled she feels that she doesnt know that she should be grateful. If she didnt want to be their nanny, she should have paid her own tuition. Also, aren't there people doing security work to pay their way through school? Mtsheew.

daalu my dear..don't mind the op..when sagamite,shymmex,dayokano etc are working double shifts in malls,tubes,taking orders in burger shops etc..they even did security work at the just concluded olympics just to survive...op is here denigrating his benevolent uncle..smh

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by manuch(m): 2:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
She should get advice from the student union dats wot they are there for. I was in student union back then in my uni. Though I agree with the earlier poster that the e copy would have bin marked and given a lower mark without the hard copy.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Rhino5dm: 2:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
testa di casso.

deshclones:

votre penis pere
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by obowunmi(m): 2:58pm On Aug 16, 2012
deshclones: [/b]

daalu my dear..don't mind the op..when sagamite,shymmex,dayokano etc are working double shifts in malls,tubes,taking orders in burger shops etc..they even did security work at the just concluded olympics just to survive...op is here denigrating his benevolent uncle..smh

LoooooL - clown
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by obi123: 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
no vex oh , since ur Sister's tuition was paid, was she not working and saving what should have been her tuition? that way be able to afford at least part of the tuition if asked to resit a module?
in any case she should appeal first and see what happens but if her accusation is racially founded than she must have enough evidence and if possible have people who can testify but truth be told that wont fly,it rarely does if i have to honest especially as your sister clearly has not followed simple instruction unfortunately she is in the minority because if a considerable number of students committed this same offense then maybe some consideration could be given.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by chucky234(m): 3:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
Your uncle and his wife might not be the best but I can assure you that the pair are certainly angels to have paid your sister's tuition fees,feed and accommodated her for three whole years,its no easy fit for anyone in the UK.
I am sure they might also be having dificulty financially and could not tell your sister which resulted in the sudden hatred.

I advice your sister to put her trust in God,with God all things and everything are possible.
Justwise advice will also go a long way in helping her out of her predicament.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by moneyquest: 3:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
Busy_body:

Here he goes again, saying what he does not know, SMH undecided

Why are you making a fool out of yourself? What the guy said was on point! You have not in any way helped the OP but instead you chose to criticise a really useful contribution. Most tutors are particular about electronic submission through turnitin in order to check plagiarism and also to have a good record of the time of submission. Since, the lady in question has obviously submitted her easy electronically, the Professor might be willing to overturn her decision but not necessarily a must! Although, I have to say that electronic submission means meeting the tutor's additional requirements, while submitting the hardcopy means meeting the schools’ course requirement. Usually, in most schools, there must be a hardcopy to prove participation in all course-works, tests, assignments, exams etc. Electronic submission is only but an additional requirement to prove originality of what you are submitting. So, as far this matter is concern, the lady did not participate in that coursework, in my opinion, since she failed to submit her hardcopy as required by the school authority.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by chucky234(m): 3:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
freecocoa: Stories that touches.

Tell your sister pele on my behalf and please don't blame your uncle\his family for anything,i think you should be grateful for how they've helped already,its not everyday that you find people who can cough out a little from what they have,things might be hard for them too so quit whining about her being a nanny and all,she should be able to do something in return for someone helping her,though i know how some relatives can be overbearing but still.....

Btw you make this your sister sound so perfect like she can never be wrong or something,anyways there are some loopholes in your story but people with idea on how the Uk educational system works should be able to help with tangible advice, anyhow if nothing can be done since you guys can't afford to pay for another session or semester as the case maybe,I'd advice she collects the 3rd class and push forward.
Good advice,3rd class a UK University na the same with a 1st class from Naija university na,abi OP tell your sister to grab that 3rd class then come back to Naija before dem change their mind ooo.
Or better still make the school state for the result say na your uncle cause wey make dem give am 3rd class, abi wetin you think Sweetcocoa
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by macjurek(m): 3:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
A SINCERE ADVICE FROM A PERSON TOUCHED:
[color=#000099][/color]

Go to the God of Chosen in prayer at Ijesha Bustop Along Oshodi Express Road, if in Lagos State. But if not visit "THE LORD CHOSEN CHARISMATIC REVIVAL MINISTRY" Website and lodge your Prayer Request, the God that Deliver Silas & Paul will intervene in her case speedily.

Personally i declare that American Professor will mark and grade her in Jesus Name, and give her a solid mark to give her Upper Credit in Jesus Name............

Engr.Amos Omogege- Chosen Engineer.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by ritux: 3:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
Frankly speaking, except God does something, there is no way your sist will win any appeal. Like somebody said up there, the guidelines f☺r submitting coursework are clearly stated.

I just submitted my msc dissertation last week and while submitting d hard copies, the collector asked me several times "hope u have submitted online" and I said yes mam. Even they day b4 the final submission, the course leader sent us a reminder to that effect that only those who submitted online in turnitin and d 2 hard copies will be assessed. Failure to do that will mean an extension.

Your sister should g̶̲̥̅̊☺ to God in prayers but I must say winning any appeal will be by His Grace. I'd advice your family and friends should hustle money f☺r her to get a 2.1 cos 3rd get as e be. After all the suffer it will be difficult to get a job.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Skywalker5(m): 3:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
Na wa oo. No one is even trying to give advise to guy's sister in regards to her school issue cry cry cry cry
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by OILOFGLADNESS: 3:38pm On Aug 16, 2012
@ poster, this story is very touching but i really want to point out somethings, 1. whenever you know that some lecturers behave funny to u and u think that they hav personal issues with u, always try to avoid ant crash with them , handle their course with extreme carefullness and most especislly prayer.2. b4 u go ahead to answer any question talk of projects the first thing is read the instructions carefully do not depend on d previous procedures.

NOW THE DAMAGE IS DONE, WE NEED SOLUTION. I BELIEVE THAT GOD WILL DO IT IF ONLY YOU BELIEVE, THAT PROF IS A HUMAN BEING LET UR SIS HUMBLE HERSELF AND TALK TO HER, IF U ARE SURE THAT, ITS ONLY COS SHE DIDNT PRINT HARDCOPY, WHEN I KNEW THAT HE PROF COULD HAVE TOLD HER THAT SHE NEEDS HARD COPY.
THE PROF HAVE A CONSCIENCE AND I KNEW THAT SHE WILL DEFINITLY SUBJECT WHEN GOD IS AT WORK.
GOD IS THE ANSWER I WONT ADVICE HER TO GO WITY 3RD CLASS BECOS ITS UNGODLY TO WORK LIKE ELEPHANT AND EAT LIKE ANT,IF IT IS 2NDCLASS LOWER NO TOO MUCH PROB.
MY SISTER ANCHOR ON GOD HE WILL DO IT. THIS IS A GOOD CHALLENGE TO PROOVE THE SUPREMACY OF GOD, EXCEPT IF UR SISTER IS NOT BEING TRUTHFULL AND AGAIN ONE LIMITATION MAY BE THE R/SHIP BTW UR SIS AND GOD. TRY HIM AND YOU WILL SEE.

OH GOD HANDLE THIS CASE , WIPE THE TEARS IN UR DAUGHTERS EYEZ AND PROOVE UR SUPREMACY TO THEM, IN JESUS NAME AMEN!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by nuelnuel: 3:39pm On Aug 16, 2012
Well i hate d way d writer painted the story.You want us to crucify ur uncle for paying ur sisters fees and the professor for adhering the the uni's rule while d blame is on ur sister.She submitted only e-copy so prof. will print out d hard copy nd submit for her hmm?.There is another thing here I can't see how getting even a 'F' would push sb from 2. 1 to 3rd class. Maybe she is already on 2.2. My advice is for her to accept the 3rd class and then try 2 proof herself to her prospective employers.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by danjohn: 3:41pm On Aug 16, 2012
If the school would not budge, they I think that she needs to go back to your relatives in the UK and ask them to pay for one more semester, not as a gift, but as a loan that she will start repaying once she gets a job upon graduation.

Another option is to look into the possibility of taking out a student loan. The only problem with that option is the high interest rate she will get because she is a foreign student. In addition, she might need a cosigner. I doubt your relatives would want to cosign anything because it can mess up their credit if your sister cannot payback the loan. If she has a boyfriend, she can ask him to cosign for her.

The best option that comes to mind is to ask your relatives for a loan. I am assuming the support they have been providing thus far has been a gift. Hence, she has to be somber when she approaches them. She has to thank them for all the support that they have provided thus far. She has to apologize for placing this burden on them, and she has to give them her word and her honor that she will pay them back for this one semester tuition loan that she is requesting from them.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by freecocoa(f): 3:41pm On Aug 16, 2012
chucky234: Good advice,3rd class a UK University na the same with a 1st class from Naija university na,abi OP tell your sister to grab that 3rd class then come back to Naija before dem change their mind ooo.
Or better still make the school state for the result say na your uncle cause wey make dem give am 3rd class, abi wetin you think Sweetcocoa
Your advice dey on point but this one wey you say 3rd class overseas equals 1st class in naija get as e be o.cheesy
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Busybody2(f): 3:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
moneyquest:

Why are you making a fool out of yourself? What the guy said was on point! You have not in any way helped the OP but instead you chose to criticise a really useful contribution. Most tutors are particular about electronic submission through turnitin in order to check plagiarism and also to have a good record of the time of submission. Since, the lady in question has obviously submitted her easy electronically, the Professor might be willing to overturn her decision but not necessarily a must! Although, I have to say that electronic submission means meeting the tutor's additional requirements, while submitting the hardcopy means meeting the schools’ course requirement. Usually, in most schools, there must be a hardcopy to prove participation in all course-works, tests, assignments, exams etc. Electronic submission is only but an additional requirement to prove originality of what you are submitting. So, as far this matter is concern, the lady did not participate in that coursework, in my opinion, since she failed to submit her hardcopy as required by the school authority.

Na by force to talk!!!

You just contributed verbatim exactly what I said IN MY SECOND POST duh, except that you goofed because the electronic copy is required more by the school for their records. Copycat oshi!!! And Justwise was wrong, end of.

And let that your rabid stinking mouth/leprous fingers type the word fool to me again and see if I would not send you home for the further home training you lack cool
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by ritux: 3:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
Your sister can get a job. If she can work, raise some cash and say uncle aunty i have so n so amount. Can you please assist me with the balance? I doubt if they will refuse because they have really tried.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by danjohn: 3:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
prince_onx: @poster:
First of all am disappointed in the way you addressed your uncle/his family who your sister stayed with in UK. You only told us what your sister told you! We didn't hear from your uncle or his wife. I don't think they're that wicked to ask your sister to stay home and babysit on the days she have classes and babysitting in UK or US is no big deal for most family. Everybody work with eachother's schedule to know who will be with the Kids when others are gone! I babysit, my wife does, my mom does, and my wife's sister did too for about 10months when she was living with us. You don't expect this folks to help in paying your sister's school fees (with smile or tears on the face which ever) and still pay for daycare even on days your sister could be of assistance?
Also, am disappointed in your sister for presenting this folks as bad people to you! And most of all for still depending on them after 3 whole years! She's lucky to have someone pay her tuition (2 semester a year) for 3yrs and have roof over her head eventhough she didn't appreciate it.
Having said that, the school system here is not like naija where the lecturer decide or have control of your life and future. Like someone rightly said, the worst that should happen is take out some points from her grade. Even if she end up with a C in that class that won't stop her from graduating. As per appealing, she'll have to prove that the lecturer treated her differently and acted out of what she had in her handout which in this case you sister (Abi Na you lol) didn't follow instruction! All the same Goodluck to her!

I agree with you. Living with a person rent free, eating their food, and having them pay your school fees for 3 years, all in exchange for babysitting is a pretty good deal. I do not think I am going to provide that kind of help to relatives when I am married. My parents provided this kind of help to countless number of my relatives and all those people remember is what my parents didnt do. This seems to be common in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Elaineh: 3:58pm On Aug 16, 2012
Thank you all for your responses, advice, and well wishes!

I'm gonna take some time to answer a few of your comments:

"Since the lecturer didn't mark here essay, is it a final decision or can something be salvaged from it?" Yes, it’s a final decision. The lecturer no wan budge and the school is firmly on her side.

"What is the name of her school?" To protect our privacy, I’d prefer not to divulge that.

"A word "sister" appeared 16 times in this ur touching story...does she "sister" not have working permit?" Other than using my sister’s name (which would not be wise) or using the words “she” or "the girl" what else can I say other than “my sister”? As I stated, my sister is on a student visa. She cannot be on a working permit at the same time.

"Do you have your sister's permission to open her yansh to the world?? I want to believe this is fiction and not real because if it is real it is not smart to present personal problems to the world." Yes, I asked my sister if it would be okay with her for me to post this and she replied in the affirmative. What’s wrong with presenting personal problems to people who can advise you? Especially if the people involved don’t know you from Adam? If you saw me in a crowded room would you know I was the one that made this posting? Do you know my name, family, place of origin, anything?

"Can you guys back at home support her with some funds too - no matter how little?" My uncle and aunty are the breadwinners in the family bros. Our father’s late and our mother no get sisi.

"U can imagine how entitled she feels that she doesnt know that she should be grateful. If she didnt want to be their nanny, she should have paid her own tuition." @blank: Sweetheart, you don’t know the first thing about what my uncle and aunt put my sister through. I’m tempted to tell my sister’s experiences here but the thing could fill up an exercise book. You simply DO NOT KNOW her story so please don’t be judgemental. My sister does not feel entitled in any sort of way.

Thank you all!

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by MacLovington(m): 4:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
ritux: Frankly speaking, except God does something, there is no way your sist will win any appeal. Like somebody said up there, the guidelines f☺r submitting coursework are clearly stated.

I just submitted my msc dissertation last week and while submitting d hard copies, the collector asked me several times "hope u have submitted online" and I said yes mam. Even they day b4 the final submission, the course leader sent us a reminder to that effect that only those who submitted online in turnitin and d 2 hard copies will be assessed. Failure to do that will mean an extension.

Your sister should g̶̲̥̅̊☺ to God in prayers but I must say winning any appeal will be by His Grace. I'd advice your family and friends should hustle money f☺r her to get a 2.1 cos 3rd get as e be. After all the suffer it will be difficult to get a job.

I think you said it all. Some lecturers can be quite mean BUT very nice to some other people.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Busybody2(f): 4:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
^^^

@OP

Pele, don't worry, some of us understand the evil our Naija people, especially those in UK, do under the guise of "helping" relatives...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The History Of The Lagos BRT (25 Things Every Lagosian Must Know) / Nigeria’s Commercial Airlines Fly Africa’s Oldest Aeroplanes / Driving With Hands-free Illegal In Nigeria — FRSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.