Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,187 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! (19322 Views)

Please Advise A Brother / Suffering Continues On Abuja-Keffi Road / Help! My Sister And Her Husband Want To Remain As Illegal Immigrants In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by yme1(f): 4:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
This is quite hard to wrap one's hand around. . . .
I believe your sister hasn't really given full details of what really happened
because she not turning in her hard copy does not warrant her not getting marked at all
The least would be she handing in her hand copy and her marks reduced to 40% or resitting that module in early August if she does not pass
The case of not marking at all seems surreal to me
So its either she has used up her resit and failed that way she would have to resit the module for another semester

BTW, what school is it?
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Richy4(m): 4:15pm On Aug 16, 2012
1.Do they have an international student office. I guess they must have one?
2 Do they have a public complaint ie where student voice out their grievances when they are unjustly treated? I guess they must have one if it is truly a cool University.
I am not in UK. but i know that in Australia,they have all those things.it is still the same Education system. just ask your sister to revisit her international student handbook.it act pretty much like a bible to all student.she should read whom to meet on grievances. or unjust treatment.all those stuffs are there. she might go to the International student office and seek advise.

oh one last thing, do not crucify your Uncle. it is not easy to pay school fees in Abroad. NO free lunch out here bro wink
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by MacLovington(m): 4:18pm On Aug 16, 2012
y me: This is quite hard to wrap one's hand around. . . .
because she not turning in her hard copy does not warrant her not getting marked at all
The least would be she handing in her hand copy and her marks reduced to 40% or resitting that module in early August if she does not pass
So its either she has used up her resit and failed that way she would have to resit the module for another semester

BTW, what school is it?

It may be true o my sister. I have seen it happen to people koro koro. University of London(UCL, King's, Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, LSE, SOAS etc) no send anybody. Late submission= zero mark. Shikena.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by deshclones(m): 4:25pm On Aug 16, 2012
chucky234: Good advice,3rd class a UK University na the same with a 1st class from Naija university na,abi OP tell your sister to grab that 3rd class then come back to Naija before dem change their mind ooo.
Or better still make the school state for the result say na your uncle cause wey make dem give am 3rd class, abi wetin you think Sweetcocoa

O boy you sabi yarn rubbish...all your comments are just filled with rubbish upon ingredients...what do you take naija unis as?i can bet ma next month's pay that a 2.2 graduate from FUTO,OAU,UNN,U.I,UNIZIK can compete favourably with all those u.k graduates from them mushroom schools...you obviously don't know shit about naija unis...you don't.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by ritux: 4:37pm On Aug 16, 2012

BTW, what school is it?

My dear, the rules in all schs differs. Like u rightly said, in my sch late submission means they won't mark you over 100. Also, the sch authority believes all these minor rules are part of the training when you get into the industry. The white man pays attention to the smallest detail unlike in our 9ja system. They hardly accept "I forgot"
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Nobody: 4:55pm On Aug 16, 2012
[quote author=Elaineh]

"Can you guys back at home support her with some funds too - no matter how little?" My uncle and aunty are the breadwinners in the family bros. Our father’s late and our mother no get sisi.

quote]

See human beings!! Your uncle and aunty are not only supporting your 'sister' in London but also supporting your arses back in Nigeria and you have the nerve to come to Nairaland to vilify them?? what an ungrateful bunch.

Abeg ask your 'Sister' to tell you the real reason why she is not graduate because this her story does not hold water.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by edakedkay: 4:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
As pathetic as your sister's case is, you should know that there's a serious underlying problem between her and her lecturer. She's been in that uni for 3 yrs,shouldn't she know that all courseworks(in virtually all uk unis ) are to be submitted both electronically and in hardcopies? If my lecturer didn't tell me this, i'll call his or her attention to it. To have forgotten to submit a hardcopy is a problem but it wouldn't have been such a massive one if there wasn't any underlying prob that she's not telling. I had a similar case while studying. My lecturer had to email me that she couldn't find my work. Told her i'd submiited my copy at the faculty office. She took it upon herself and traced it to the undergraduate submissions made to her. Don't know if you get my point. An essay as coursework is capped at 40 percent, the other 60 percent for exams. Losing out on 40 percent essay won't drop her grade from a 2.1 to a 3rd class.she can still get a 2.1 or atleast a 2.2. Afterall, i had one F and still made a 2:1(i don't show my transcript tho.lol) Put 1&2 together and you'll know she's looking for a backup to her already obtained 3rd class. Helloooo? No one will ask you to re-sit a coursework. You re-sit exams. Let her just get the 3rd class she truly worked for and look for ways of making up with a pgd and then m.sc here in naija. You said your dad don kaput, your mom no gather and your sister's sponsors and your family's bread winners are just uncle and aunty not even brother and sister o. Tell you what? i haven't seen angels before. Can you pls introduce me to your aunty and uncle? You lot must be ingrates from the deepest pit of hell.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by ochiaha1(m): 4:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
I am surprised that you sister agreed to slave under your Uncle and Aunt in London, so that they can pay her tuition fees. If she is a Full-Time student of her University, she is entitled to a Student's Visa. Armed with a Student's Visa, she could find part-time Jobs she could work on to raise money to pay for the next academic session's tuition fees.angry

I suggest she makes an appeal to the University's Student Union and the University Authorities.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Onyenna(m): 5:06pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sky-walker:
i will advice she should appeal against the professor's decision. i have seen things like this happen when i was in school. deadline was 3pm and you have to submit e-copy and hard copy together. if you are on the queue at 3.01pm, you wont be allowed in. You will be told you had enough weeks to prepare and finish up and not just on the deadline date.

My advice is for her to appeal against the decision. There is a form you will have to fill to explain why you could not submit on time. This type of thing happened to a guy i know who did not submit on time and was not allowed to submit . He was allowed later but the stamp "late" was kept on his essay. That is 60% gone. He appealed against it (cant remember if this is what its called). He gave lots of reason like sickness,blah blah and stuff and fortunately for him, he went to see a doctor during the time he was doing his report so he provided letter from doctor. He was allowed to re do the project but he did not pay any fee.

Tell your sister to ask around to find out how she can appeal in her school. she has to be smart about it.

Also, your sister wont pay full tuition fee if its just one module.

Nice one.....
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Richy4(m): 5:23pm On Aug 16, 2012
ochi-aha:

I am surprised that you sister agreed to slave under your Uncle and Aunt in London, so that they can pay her tuition fees. If she is a Full-Time student of her University, she is entitled to a Student's Visa. Armed with a Student's Visa, she could find part-time Jobs she could work on to raise money to pay for the next academic session's tuition fees.angry

I suggest she makes an appeal to the University's Student Union and the University Authorities.

I guess you are in Nigeria the way you sounded.... there is no free lunch abroad man. she was indirectly paying her way through school by slaving as you call it
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by ernestleon(m): 5:28pm On Aug 16, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
sei cane bastardo.

Ma non si dici quelle brutte parole...
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by edakedkay: 5:35pm On Aug 16, 2012
ochi-aha:

ignorance is really a disease. How much part-time work, as an international student would she have done to pay a whooping 3 sch years fees that ran into thousands of pounds, pay her accommodation, transportation and take care of other basic necessities? Coupled with the new law on int'l students not working at all, how much can she raise to pay the next sch yr's fee. Even while working on your dissertation,you're not allowed to work full-time as it's considered as a 3rd term for you. So what are you telling us? Rather than spewing rubbish from your gob, why not shut it up and save yourself the embarrassment of the world knowing your exalted level of ignorance?
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by nkemKalu: 5:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
prince_onx: @poster:
First of all am disappointed in the way you addressed your uncle/his family who your sister stayed with in UK. You only told us what your sister told you! We didn't hear from your uncle or his wife. I don't think they're that wicked to ask your sister to stay home and babysit on the days she have classes and babysitting in UK or US is no big deal for most family. Everybody work with eachother's schedule to know who will be with the Kids when others are gone! I babysit, my wife does, my mom does, and my wife's sister did too for about 10months when she was living with us. You don't expect this folks to help in paying your sister's school fees (with smile or tears on the face which ever) and still pay for daycare even on days your sister could be of assistance?
Also, am disappointed in your sister for presenting this folks as bad people to you! And most of all for still depending on them after 3 whole years! She's lucky to have someone pay her tuition (2 semester a year) for 3yrs and have roof over her head eventhough she didn't appreciate it.
Having said that, the school system here is not like naija where the lecturer decide or have control of your life and future. Like someone rightly said, the worst that should happen is take out some points from her grade. Even if she end up with a C in that class that won't stop her from graduating. As per appealing, she'll have to prove that the lecturer treated her differently and acted out of what she had in her handout which in this case you sister (Abi Na you lol) didn't follow instruction! All the same Goodluck to her!
BEAUTIFUL AND WONDERFUL PIECE OF ADVICE.....SHE SHOULD MORE IMPORTANTLY APPRECIATE THE PEOPLE THAT GAVE A ROOF OVER HER HEAD FOR 3 WHOLE YEARS AFTER ALL THEY WERE NOT LEGALLY BOUND TO DO SO. IF SOMEBODY GIVES ME ORDINARY WATER TO DRINK...THE RIGHT THING TO DO IS TO SAY THANK U AFTER- ALL LIFE IS NOT FULL OF ROSES AND SHE SHOULD NOT COMPLAIN OF THE LITTLE JOBS SHE DOES FOR THOSE THAT ACCOMMODATED HER.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by ernestleon(m): 5:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Rhino.5dm:
testa di casso.

testa di cazzo not casso.potevi scriverlo bene.you should atleast spell it correctly.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by tellwisdom: 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
money wey she go bring make we take drink beer sad sad
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Kayuzze1: 6:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
Your sister's ordeal in the u.k is quite touchin and raises the emotions of nairalanders. There is know how you want to study in the u.k especially, that u won't go through hell on earth. It reminds me of what my dad told me what he went through while he travelled to the u.k, You should be happy for your sister and grateful to ur relatives for assiting her to pay her tuition and also accomodate her... Mehn! Guy, do u know how many people back home are praying to God to give them this kind of opportunity? You are now coming to this forum supporting your sister and maliciously maglining your uncle's personality, yes, that is what u have done. Do you know the cost of tuition fee in the u.k? Nothing less than 15,000 pounds in a session, you heard me right, ask anybody. 1)My dad didn't have anybody to help him out even though he had an elder sister in the u.k then 2) he was on a visit visa, so he had no freedom and was deported 4 times, anytime he was picked on the road 3) he had to work his ass out day and night to feed himself, pay 4 his school,a graduate of university of central london, so that's a whole lot of money, pay for bus pass, buy handout etc. It wasnt easy! But let me make this clear, once you have God on your side, I repeat! once u serve the almighty God, you will definitely know that your problems, challenges, difficulties will be over one day and it will only be a story to tell to others. Your sister will be fine bro, I can assure you that, It is only a test, she will overcome soon. Pls let her be positive and shouldnt bother you people at home.. She should stop saying something negative about your uncle and aunty.. How do you expect them to feel if they get to hear of all this? Above all, she shouldn't give up on the project, let her resit the course if truly it will help her graduate with a 2-1.. Dont back out oh sister, my regards to your American lecturer..
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by chucky234(m): 6:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
deshclones:

you are so dumb you had to post the shit you wrote twice...you mentioned unis in the uk..not top unis...you see why i am tempted to call you a m0r0n..oops i just did..you are a certified m0r0n mate....go fudge yourself man...i am in no mood to talk to m0r0ns that were obviously sired by dogs...
Too bad you were birth on a village market day that's why you are devoid of comon sense,give me the names of those UK universities that are rated below those Naija universities you listed as top universities and how many of them that make the top ten list of African universities.
Since your mother gave birth to you on a thatch mat I could not have expect anything better from you than what you have said,my 3yr old daughter have a far better sense of reasoning than your clueless combobulated brain.
The last time I checked EMU in North Cyprus ranked better than your FUTO,you are better off in joke section.
Piss me and I will teach you a lesson you will never forget till your dying moment,absurdic goon.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by claremont(m): 6:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
@OP: If I were your sister, I will get down on my knees and THANK whoever has been paying her tuition fees and accommodation for the past 3 years. I did my MSc here in the UK and I know how I suffered to pay my bills myself. I did all sorts of menial jobs in a bid to live a miserable existence. If I had someone paying my fees, I would have accomplished more. Despite working my ass off, I still graduated not only with a Distinction, but also as the best in the UK in my discipline and I received a national award here in the UK as well. My point is that your sister has no excuse whatsoever for not meeting the grade, all that story about not submitting assignments on time is all hot air.

The deed has already been done. Therefore, I will advice your sister to collect the basic result. She can source for funds and do her masters and try to get a distinction. As someone who has worked in the healthcare industry myself, I know that Masters in Public Health graduates are very high in demand in the healthcare industry. If she does appeal, the best she can get is a 2.1, she should be aware that she will be competing in the job market with people with distinctions.

Good luck to her.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by NIKKnJAZZ(f): 6:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
First of all am disappointed in the way you addressed your uncle/his family who your sister stayed with in UK. You only told us what your sister told you! We didn't hear from your uncle or his wife. I don't think they're that wicked to ask your sister to stay home and babysit on the days she have classes and babysitting in UK or US is no big deal for most family. Everybody work with eachother's schedule to know who will be with the Kids when others are gone! I babysit, my wife does, my mom does, and my wife's sister did too for about 10months when she was living with us. You don't expect this folks to help in paying your sister's school fees (with smile or tears on the face which ever) and still pay for daycare even on days your sister could be of assistance?
Also, am disappointed in your sister for presenting this folks as bad people to you! And most of all for still depending on them after 3 whole years! She's lucky to have someone pay her tuition (2 semester a year) for 3yrs and have roof over her head eventhough she didn't appreciate it.
Having said that, the school system here is not like naija where the lecturer decide or have control of your life and future. Like someone rightly said, the worst that should happen is take out some points from her grade. Even if she end up with a C in that class that won't stop her from graduating. As per appealing, she'll have to prove that the lecturer treated her differently and acted out of what she had in her handout which in this case you sister (Abi Na you lol) didn't follow instruction! All the same Goodluck to her!

It's mentality like this that makes some Africans content to be slaves in the name of 'living abroad'. So because my aunt, who offered to help me out in the first place, is paying my school fees, that in turn means she has the right to turn me into a house girl. I rather live in my motherland and hawk on the streets than go to a strange land and become a slave. If I offered to help a relative, then I've offered to treat them like I would my child. Now you don see ogonwadia wey go clean your house and babysit your kids instead of being in the library. When I fail my exams now, they'll withdraw their financial support and say I am not serious. Never ever in this God-given life should you think that because you're helping someone out he/she should be forced to reciprocate somehow, especially a poor student. I'm sure the girl has the common sense to help out in the house when necessary. In the future when that person becomes successful, won't you also reap the benefits of the success?
https://www.nairaland.com/1020673/missing-african-olympians-london
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 16, 2012

The Uncle and Aunt must really be nice paying her tuition I agree. You should be thankful to the family that hosted her and was responsible for for her fees. Remember part of your sister's tuition could have been applied towards child care services of their own kids if there was no need to pay her school fees. Let her concentrate on sorting out her graduation plan as she's Ben advised, best wishes.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by justwise(m): 6:35pm On Aug 16, 2012

BTW, what school is it?

You are right!! there are more to this story because not submitting hard copy does not mean zero mark, the student will be penalized, the lecturer will print out the soft copy and mark it, when submitting your assignment in Turnitin you will put in your student details just like cover page before you finally submit the assignment.

Schools will not ask you to repeat the module just because you failed that module at first attempt, you will be given the opportunity to do referral work sometimes July/August and it will be capped at 40%, if the student failed the referral then he or her has to redo that particular module by September.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by Toks2008(m): 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
let her bear it. its only a matter of time before she will be fully independent. Sometimes we just have to face crazy situations to get what we want.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by maasoap(m): 6:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
My headache with the OP narration was that she didn't portion any fault to her sister but only to her benefactors and lecturer.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by soulamanne(m): 7:04pm On Aug 16, 2012

I don't need to meet u bruv!ur words ve conveyed what I should know of u;U ARE A WISE MAN.thumbs up
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by endoweddiva(f): 7:19pm On Aug 16, 2012
i think some information could be missing from this, because if your sister submitted the assignment on the submission date and missed not submitting the hard copy, that should not be such a big issue, mistakes do happen, she can take it up with the lecturer, speak to student union, program leader and important bodies in her school, they definitely should be able to help, if not they wont have offered a third class alternative. she should pray about it and take up the case very seriously, she should also involve a solicitor/lawyer if need be.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by justwise(m): 7:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
Please nobody she derail this thread, enough of fighting, advice the Op if you have any.
Re: My Sister Is Suffering In London - Please Advise! by endoweddiva(f): 7:30pm On Aug 16, 2012

best reply, your so on point, some nigerians think money is been plucked in the UK, free rent, meals, transport and education for three years, is the poster and his sister still expecting the uncle and aunt to pay a nanny to look after the kids? shocked shocked undecided, some nigerians sha, they only take time to criticize the bad and not praise the good. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Few Nigerians Work As Cabin-Crew On International Airlines? / LAGBUS Catches Fire On Third Mainland Bridge This Morning (Photos) / One Dead As Pepsi Truck Runs Into Roadside Traders In Lagos. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.