Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,826 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:35 PM

Cultural Exchanges - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Exchanges (1775 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 11:51pm On Aug 15, 2012
What are your opinions about cultural exchanges? Do you think tribalism, racism, prejudice, sexism. ad ignorance would reduce if people are willing to engage in cultural exchanges that is outside their norm/comfort zone?

Before you read further....I am by no means telling you to ADOPT NOR ADAPT to other cultures but to engage in cultural exchanges or tolerance so you can be able to live with individuals that are DIFFERENT from you and continue to FOCUS ON YOUR PERSONAL GROWTH AND SELF AWARENESS.

What are the factors and variables preventing cultural exchanges or tolerance?

Odumchi unknowingly expressed his opinion/thoughts on cultural exchanges and how he learned by absorbing meaningful dictions minus insults and trolling. This is his direct statement below.

E[b]ven amid all of this quarreling and back and forth arguing, I see something in this thread. This thread is a perfect example of the cultural and societal differences between African Americans and Africans.

From reading these pages, I've gained an insight into the perspectives of two different peoples on different sides of the world. Personally, I've observed the misconceptions about poverty, ethnic issues, and the general culture of Africa as well as those pertaining to the New World. Take something as simple as football (American soccer) for example; both sides called the sport different names and presented their unique perspectives.

I think that discussions like this (save the insults and trolling) do a good part in melting hardened barriers. Just like Mrs Chima ( grin kiss), have also learned many things just from reading this thread.

Does anyone else think so?[/b]

What are your thoughts about cultural exchanges and tolerance? Would it strengthen your knowledge and tolerance for others?
Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 11:52pm On Aug 15, 2012
I was innocent by the way. cheesy wink smiley
Re: Cultural Exchanges by naijarican(f): 1:27am On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Odumchi

You had to say my name huh? You knew to closed that thread cos I was gon wear your arse. grin grin grin

Even amid all of this quarreling and back and forth arguing, I see something in this thread. This thread is a perfect example of the cultural and societal differences between African Americans and Africans.

From reading these pages, I've gained an insight into the perspectives of two different peoples on different sides of the world. Personally, I've observed the misconceptions about poverty, ethnic issues, and the general culture of Africa as well as those pertaining to the New World. Take something as simple as football (American soccer) for example; both sides called the sport different names and presented their unique perspectives.

I think that discussions like this (save the insults and trolling) do a good part in[size=44pt] melting hardened barriers. Just like Mrs Chima (),[/size I have also learned many things just from reading this thread.

Does anyone else think so?

[b]Hey girl! Nice one. I'm so glad you started this topic with Odumchi's statement. I've learned alot too. What I've learned is that no matter how Americans try to show some Nigerians that we are not all alike, they STILL hold on the the negativities presented to them through the media. I don't remotely believe that every black american that these people have dealt with has treated them poorly. I've also learned that a lot of their attitude stems from self hatred as well(my dad says this too), and often times it's because passed and modern day media still has a tendency to depict them as uncivilized savages. It's unfortunate that they have this heavy chip on there shoulders, but it's also unfortunate that some Americans still have these perceptions of Africa which makes Africans harbor bad feelings. LOL, with all that being said though, we still ain't gone let them beat us up on NL, without kicking booty and taking names. (Teeheee heee, you know I had to throw that in there).[/b]

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by odumchi: 2:08am On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
I was innocent by the way. cheesy wink smiley

I was really referring to the Nigeria-Cameroon thing. Lol.

[size=2pt]Don't expect this thread to last too long.[/size]
Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 3:23am On Aug 16, 2012
naijarican:

[b]Hey girl! Nice one. I'm so glad you started this topic with Odumchi's statement. I've learned alot too. What I've learned is that no matter how Americans try to show some Nigerians that we are not all alike, they STILL hold on the the negativities presented to them through the media. I don't remotely believe that every black american that these people have dealt with has treated them poorly. I've also learned that a lot of their attitude stems from self hatred as well(my dad says this too), and often times it's because passed and modern day media still has a tendency to depict them as uncivilized savages. It's unfortunate that they have this heavy chip on there shoulders, but it's also unfortunate that some Americans still have these perceptions of Africa which makes Africans harbor bad feelings. LOL, with all that being said though, we still ain't gone let them beat us up on NL, without kicking booty and taking names. (Teeheee heee, you know I had to throw that in there).[/b]

It is understandable and people will do what they want to do ANYWAYS. It is unfortunate that some people have it in their heads that they are really hurting someone by harboring ill feelings about a specific person, group, region, or country. They are only hurting themselves and that goes for EVERYBODY around the WORLD.

[size=44pt]At the end of the day.....EVERYBODY's SHIT STANK...and sooner people realize the fresher the world will smell. [/size]

3 Likes

Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 3:47am On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
[size=44pt]At the end of the day.....EVERYBODY's SHIT STANK...and sooner people realize the fresher the world will smell. [/size]

LMAAAAAAAAAAAAO!

i go wooze you o for making me laugh! grin

GTFOH! grin
Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 3:48am On Aug 16, 2012
Chima get help asap! grin
Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 3:54am On Aug 16, 2012
Odumchi, can you get these chatters for derailing my thread? Thanks suga. grin grin tongue tongue
Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 4:08am On Aug 16, 2012
But to get back to the topic,

I really don't want to dwell on this to much because the crowd it may attract TBH, I want no part of.

but my 50 cents..

Cultural exchange is seen as neither a threat or step into the wrong direction to reasonable people who are able to rub minds with others and are willing to learn. Naturally this would require one to lose part of themselves to gain hence the "let your guard down" and "free yourself/mind" phrases. But some people don't understand that some habits and ideologies are worth losing to gain more knowledge.

This in itself expose the hypocrisy we have witnessed these last few days.

Some of the same "too cultured to be bothered by the others" people will call someone in their own community who behead and maim in the name of rituals or pray to rocks and hand sized statues lipsrsealed or believe in many Gods (animism/polytheism) as "primitive" and "backward".

grin Well, if you come from a heritage that once shared those same values and you NOW see it as backward then obviously someone in your background was wise enough to let go of the backwardness and became enlightened by outside influence (BWO reasoning) so you could point out the flaws of (y)our forefathers.

So why now all of a sudden claim the exchanges of ideas is a threat to everything you stand for?

No man or woman is an island. Trust me.

Life in itself is about education. People who fight this fact are just as "backward" as those who came before us. They thrive on division, self seclusion and misery. Ironically these same folks will wonder why they are so far behind and least desired than those who are about breaking down boundaries and learning. The key to survival is knowing when to put up the guard and when to take in information from the outside. If you are not right on the inside this won't come easy but then again, i suppose not everyone is meant to get it. *shrugs*.

2 Likes

Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 4:09am On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Odumchi, can you get these chatters for derailing my thread? Thanks suga. grin grin tongue tongue

[size=28pt]SHUT UP THERE! [/size]angry
Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 4:19am On Aug 16, 2012
angry

errm. Odumchi..how come you didn't do this on my wodaabe thread? tongue grin

its a conspiracy.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 4:21am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: But to get back to the topic,

I really don't want to dwell on this to much because the crowd it may attract TBH, I want no part of.

but my 50 cents..

Cultural exchange is seen as neither a threat or step into the wrong direction to reasonable people who are able to rub minds with others and are willing to learn. Naturally this would require one to lose part of themselves to gain hence the "let your guard down" and "free yourself/mind" phrases. But some people don't understand that some habits and ideologies are worth losing to gain more knowledge.

This in itself expose the hypocrisy we have witnessed these last few days.

Some of the same "too cultured to be bothered by the others" people will call someone in their own community who behead and maim in the name of rituals or pray to rocks and hand sized statues lipsrsealed or believe in many Gods (animism/polytheism) as "primitive" and "backward".

grin Well, if you come from a heritage that once shared those same values and you NOW see it as backward then obviously someone in your background was wise enough to let go of the backwardness and became enlightened by outside influence (BWO reasoning) so you could point out the flaws of (y)our forefathers.

So why now all of a sudden claim the exchanges of ideas is a threat to everything you stand for?

No man or woman is an island. Trust me.

Life in itself is about education. People who fight this fact are just as "backward" as those who came before us. They thrive on division, self seclusion and misery. Ironically these same folks will wonder why they are so far behind and least desired than those who are about breaking down boundaries and learning. The key to survival is knowing when to put up the guard and when to take in information from the outside. If you are not right on the inside this won't come easy but then again, i suppose not everyone is meant to get it. *shrugs*.

But Sis...You know no matter what you say it will not change the person unless they want to change. If you were talking about a flower and how to nurture the flower...if someone want to pick a fight with you because you shared how to nutured the flower that is on them not you.

I do believe that knowledge is power and it plant seeds in places difficult to access. Great post by the way. kiss

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 4:22am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: angry

its a conspiracy.

I am married to his hot and sexy brother. wink Hmmmmm girl...you should see my baby! embarassed (just kidding)

Igbos all about family. tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 4:24am On Aug 16, 2012
^^^^lol you're on drugs. grin

Mrs.Chima:

But Sis...You know no matter what you say it will not change the person unless they want to change. If you were talking about a flower and how to nurture the flower...if someone want to pick a fight with you because you shared how to nutured the flower that is on them not you.

I do believe that knowledge is power and it plant seeds in places difficult to access. Great post by the way. kiss

Exactly. Which is why I always say "live and let live".
Don't worry about what others are doing. If "your ppl" want to know about other cultures, don't call them a sell out.
You stay in your own world and let them do them. I too learn everyday. I have come to learn some of my old thinking was WACK. In a period of 6 months I have learned so much, and sad to say some folks will live an entire lifestyle stuck in their ways.

Oh well. wink

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 4:32am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: ^^^^lol you're on drugs. grin

Exactly. Which is why I always say "live and let live".
Don't worry about what others are doing. If "your ppl" want to know about other cultures, don't call them a sell out.
You stay in your own world and let them do them. I too learn everyday. I have come to learn some of my old thinking was WACK. In a period of 6 months I have learned so much, and sad to say some folks will live an entire lifestyle stuck in their ways.

Oh well. wink

I have met Africans in my neck of the wood who are very cultural but open minded. They will cherish their cultures and exchange knowledge to become your friend.

I have been invited to several households minus a few that I have been thrown out of because I was "too real" whatever. I have learned a few things and will tell them if you throw mud....I can throw it back to you in other words....respect goes both ways.

2 Likes

Re: Cultural Exchanges by odumchi: 4:48am On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: angry

its a conspiracy.

Check.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by cfours: 4:50am On Aug 16, 2012
I am by no means telling you to ADOPT NOR ADAPT to other cultures but to engage in cultural exchanges or tolerance so you can be able to live with individuals that are DIFFERENT from you

In order to LIVE with individuals that are DIFFERENT from you, you (or they) need to adopt or adapt culturally. The result of not adopting or adapting is SEGREGATION. and this then exacerbates all those ugly things you mentioned.

besides, there will always be racism, tribalism, prejudice,sexism so long as there is difference. Just embrace your difference but learn to adopt or adapt when difference puts you at a disadvantage. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. shikena.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 4:58am On Aug 16, 2012
c.fours:

In order to LIVE with individuals that are DIFFERENT from you, you (or they) need to adopt or adapt culturally. The result of not adopting or adapting is SEGREGATION. and this then exacerbates all those ugly things you mentioned.

besides, there will always be racism, tribalism, prejudice,sexism so long as there is difference. Just embrace your difference but learn to adopt or adapt when difference puts you at a disadvantage. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. shikena.

It is possible to maintain who you are and still embrace others to grow tolerance of differences. The key word is "reduce" racism, sexism, tribalism and everything else. Nothing can be eradicated but it can be reduced.

Separatism comes form individuals who want to create an island and embrace seclusion that is not what my thread is about. It is about exchanging cultural information and still being who you are by saying it is okay to be different from me while sharing the same globe.

Good thing about America...people can be themselves, study whatever religion they want, open any bars they want, speak almost anything they want, and practice whatever culture they want without being persecuted figuratively speaking.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by cfours: 5:05am On Aug 16, 2012
I still don't understand what you are getting at.
Who do you want to exchange cultures with? What exactly do you mean by "cultural exchange"?

If you are LIVING among people of a different culture, there is NO WAY you can maintain your culture 100% and live amicably with them unless you segregate yourself. the minority living in that society will have to adopt or adapt the majority's way of life. otherwise, the majority will turn against them for coming in and trying to upset the balance. this is natural.

but if you are living 3000 miles away and doing pen-pal sort of "cultural exchange" that doesn't affect your daily existence, then I can see your point.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 5:09am On Aug 16, 2012
c.fours:
I still don't understand what you are getting at.
Who do you want to exchange cultures with? What exactly do you mean by "cultural exchange"?

If you are LIVING among people of a different culture, there is NO WAY you can maintain your culture 100% and live amicably with them unless you segregate yourself. the minority living in that society will have to adopt or adapt the majority's way of life. otherwise, the majority will turn against them for coming in and trying to upset the balance. this is natural.

but if you are living 3000 miles away and doing pen-pal sort of "cultural exchange" that doesn't affect your daily existence, then I can see your point.

The question was very simple and direct....what are YOUR OPINIONS about cultural exchanges and tolerance?

It doesn't matter who I want to exchange with...IT WOULDN'T HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by cfours: 5:12am On Aug 16, 2012

Good thing about America...people can be themselves, study whatever religion they want, open any bars they want, speak almost anything they want, and practice whatever culture they want without being persecuted figuratively speaking.

This is not true and you know it.
America feels like that thanks to segregation. Imagine if everyone really has to live together. then we will all be forced to adapt because life will be a living hell otherwise. Imagine if you had to share a room with a vegan or a mormon etc. that's just an example.

I think tolerance is a good thing. but it has its limits. Whoever has the most power usually wins in most circumstances.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 5:17am On Aug 16, 2012
c.fours:

America feels like that thanks to segregation. Imagine if everyone really has to live together. then we will all be forced to adapt because life will be a living hell otherwise.

I think tolerance is a good thing. but it has its limits. Whoever has the most power usually wins in most circumstances.

If America didn't welcome differences of religion, culture, free of speech, and human rights. Africans and other immigrants wouldn't even have the opportunity to create Little Italy, Little Nigeria, Little China, Little Somalia, and everything else.

America isn't the problem...the people in it is the issue.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 5:17am On Aug 16, 2012
c.fours:

America feels like that thanks to segregation. Imagine if everyone really has to live together. then we will all be forced to adapt because life will be a living hell otherwise.

What is not true

If America didn't welcome differences of religion, culture, free of speech, and human rights. Africans and other immigrants wouldn't even have the opportunity to create Little Italy, Little Nigeria, Little China, Little Somalia, and everything else.

Re: Cultural Exchanges by cfours: 5:23am On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

What is not true

The expectation is that the immigrants' children will adapt to American way of life. one way of inculcation is through schools. Even going through citizenship exams you are told that you are now an American. You need to learn and be able to speak English to pass etc
Older adults/first generation immigrants are resistant to this and that's why you have things like Chinatown, little Italy etc. but the children learn and adapt fast. That's the expectation. Nothing wrong with that.
Why do you think Americans are so intolerant towards Mexican immigrants right now and passing laws left and right to disenfranchise them?
THey did the same to Chinese when they first came in 1800s. Same to Irish immigrants or italian immigrants or Jews or German immigrants. Intolerance is always there. It only reduces when the groups have adapted enough.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
c.fours:

Lol. Dont double talk C4s.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
What are your opinions about cultural exchanges? Do you think tribalism, racism, prejudice, sexism. ad ignorance would reduce if people are willing to engage in cultural exchanges that is outside their norm/comfort zone?

[b]Yes, Prejudice Behavior is a product of Close Minded People not willing to learn and accept others based on their Differences

Integration, Knowledge and Understanding of other people's cultures would definitely reduce Tribalism,Racism,Prejudice,and Sexism

The Inner Cities of America versus the Sheltered populations of America are perfect examples of how culture and understanding of other people can reduce xenophobia

All Races,Religions,Sexxalities, and Cultures Mingle together within the Inner Cities because Poverty has pushed them all together in the same melting pot, So during the struggle for financial and economic relief and stability many different cultures have been integrated and Accepted

All while people have still "maintained" their culture. Yet they accept others

While The Sheltered areas of America, closed off from "outside" culture have remained far more xenophobic

This above applies to what you see on this forum and in many other parts of the world.

Close Minded people will view anything or anyone "different" as Unacceptable. [/b]
Re: Cultural Exchanges by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 16, 2012
Of course immigrants SHOULD learn to speak English when coming to the U.S. just like it should be a requirement that I learn French, Swahili, Japanese, Spanish..etc when in countries those languages are most commonly spoken in. It is only natural that you are expected to adapt to the place you immigrate to.

The defiance put up by Mexicans who would even go to L.A. and declare "this is OUR land" and "we are taking over, prepare for El Walmart and Spanish being you gringos' new first language!", is part of the reason for the backlash.

Lol. To every action there is a reaction.

The issue of the topic though is learning to tolerate and perhaps share ideologies. Descendants of some of the most ruthless people such as the Vikings for ex. are now practicing buddhism which is arguably the most peaceful religion.

If we were to compare prehistoric humans and the population now obviously we are similar in that none of us is perfect however, on a larger scale we are "superior" to those who came before us because we are enlightened and far more educated about others.

There is nothing wrong with holding your own and preferring to be around ppl who are like you. But there is also nothing wrong with liking/ admiring others and following them either. Who says a Zulu child will be less Zulu if he or she listens to rap?

Does it change my DNA and make me less black because I like some rock & roll or pop music or that I can speak Spanish and a little Portugese?

Are Asians who listen to Jamaican dancehall music and enter Jamaican dance competitions threatening the Asian way of life?

Lol some folks need to get real.
"they"...we...nor anyone is not out to get you! grin

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 2:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
Well said my sister!!!!!

Thats all I was saying about cultural exchanges and tolerance.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Yorubas Not Care? / Two Sisters Gets Married The Same Day In Igboland. / Chatgpt Interviews Laila Ali Othman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.