Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,035 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:49 AM

Cultural Exchanges - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Cultural Exchanges (1778 Views)

Cross Cultural Marriage:interesting Tweets From White Lady Married To A Nigerian / Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / What Are Cultural Taboos In Your Village Or Area (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cultural Exchanges by naijarican(f): 3:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
c.fours:
I still don't understand what you are getting at.
Who do you want to exchange cultures with? What exactly do you mean by "cultural exchange"?

If you are LIVING among people of a different culture, there is NO WAY you can maintain your culture 100% and live amicably with them unless you segregate yourself. the minority living in that society will have to adopt or adapt the majority's way of life. otherwise, the majority will turn against them for coming in and trying to upset the balance. this is natural.

but if you are living 3000 miles away and doing pen-pal sort of "cultural exchange" that doesn't affect your daily existence, then I can see your point.

Interesting. I'm of the opinion that you can still have your own culture while living amongst different cultures.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by naijarican(f): 3:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
MsDarkSkin: Of course immigrants SHOULD learn to speak English when coming to the U.S. just like it should be a requirement that I learn French, Swahili, Japanese, Spanish..etc when in countries those languages are most commonly spoken in. It is only natural that you are expected to adapt to the place you immigrate to.

The defiance put up by Mexicans who would even go to L.A. and declare "this is OUR land" and "we are taking over, prepare for El Walmart and Spanish being you gringos' new first language!", is part of the reason for the backlash.

Lol. To every action there is a reaction.

The issue of the topic though is learning to tolerate and perhaps share ideologies. Descendants of some of the most ruthless people such as the Vikings for ex. are now practicing buddhism which is arguably the most peaceful religion.

If we were to compare prehistoric humans and the population now obviously we are similar in that none of us is perfect however, on a larger scale we are "superior" to those who came before us because we are enlightened and far more educated about others.

There is nothing wrong with holding your own and preferring to be around ppl who are like you. But there is also nothing wrong with liking/ admiring others and following them either. Who says a Zulu child will be less Zulu if he or she listens to rap?

Does it change my DNA and make me less black because I like some rock & roll or pop music or that I can speak Spanish and a little Portugese?

Are Asians who listen to Jamaican dancehall music and enter Jamaican dance competitions threatening the Asian way of life?

Lol some folks need to get real.
"they"...we...nor anyone is not out to get you! grin

Thats it right there.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by ifyalways(f): 9:02pm On Aug 16, 2012
I have a problem with people that look down on or feel superior to others just because we think their culture "does not make sense" .

I have an AA pal who believes that 'kneeling to greet an elder' is crude and self demeaning. No explanation is good enough for her but then she expects me to feel cool, sort of coerce me to see giving high5 and chopping knuckles as a form of greeting.

Accept and respect each culture as it comes so long as it does not affect you, directly and negatively.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2012
ifyalways: I have a problem with people that look down on or feel superior to others just because we think their culture "does not make sense" .

I have an AA pal who believes that 'kneeling to greet an elder' is crude and self demeaning. No explanation is good enough for her but then she expects me to feel cool, sort of coerce me to see giving high5 and chopping knuckles as a form of greeting.

Accept and respect each culture as it comes so long as it does not affect you, directly and negatively.

I have a huge issue with treating humans if they are "God" and I do not bow down to anyone including my husband. However, I will greet my husband's elders with politeness and respect. My husband's elders understand my stance and respects me for that. I love them to pieces and enjoys listening to them when they tell stories and proverbs. When I go to my husband's family functions...I understand what an Igbo wife does and shall not do. That's because my husband and I spent time getting to know each other and became good friends before marriage. It is about respecting each other and accepting the differences by finding a common ground of commonality.

My husband and I respects each others' upbringing and we do not have any issues....seriously and when people say that two different birds will not fly together...I laugh because my husband and I understand what is expected from each other and we defined our roles BEFORE MARRIAGE and we are still together after YEARS of dating and marriage.

People will not make it if they are DIVIDED in every shape form and fashion. It won't work if your heart and mind isn't in it and that goes for friendship, being neighbors, coworkers, and family.

I am not saying Igbo men are better than all...but my husband is definitely the good one. wink
Re: Cultural Exchanges by ifyalways(f): 10:20pm On Aug 16, 2012
What's your definition of 'treating others like God'? Does kneeling, as done in some cultures qualify as that ie man worship?

'
Re: Cultural Exchanges by MrsChima(f): 10:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
ifyalways: What's your definition of 'treating others like God'? Does kneeling, as done in some cultures qualify as that ie man worship?

'

There are many other things addition to "bowing down" is not in my cup of tea. Again....I have nothing against YOU doing it...I am saying I AM NOT going to do it. The only person worth bowing down for is my creator.

I can still be polite without bending my knees. That's me.
Re: Cultural Exchanges by cfours: 11:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

There are many other things addition to "bowing down" is not in my cup of tea. Again....I have nothing against YOU doing it...I am saying I AM NOT going to do it. The only person worth bowing down for is my creator.

I can still be polite without bending my knees. That's me.

cultural exchange my azz.
no this thread will not reduce racism or tribalism. especially since you just exposed one of your own prejudices about africans.

rubbish thread.
I personally do not hang out or relate with African Americans so I have no reason to participate in "cultural exchange' with them.
you on the other hand, are desperate about being accepted by Africans then you need to rethink your ideas and learn to adapt. simple and short.

1 Like

Re: Cultural Exchanges by ifyalways(f): 12:04am On Aug 17, 2012
Mrs chima, you said you have "big issues with treating others like God. . ."

From that statement, I could deduce[needed to be sure hence my second question] that :
You equate stopping/kneeling/bowing in greeting as man worship.
You have issues with it. With people that do so maybe?

That's not being tolerant and rubbishes your first post on this thread.

You won't do it, you see no reason it should be done, good and fine but having issues with it or refering it to man worship especially when no one is forcing you to do so?that's being intolerant.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fundraiser Dinner For Kechi Okwuchi: The Sosoliso Plane Crash Survivor / Exclusive Interview With Highlife Living Legend - Prof. Goddy Ezike / The Wazirin Of Sokoto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.