Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,077 members, 7,845,534 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 07:35 PM

Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy (8885 Views)

Wikileaks: Boko Haram Is A CIA Covert Operation / Britain Threatens To Invade Ecuador’s London Embassy To Arrest Wikileaks Founder / Wikileaks Founder Julian Assange Arrested In Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by mystikal(m): 10:45am On Aug 17, 2012
Assange is wanted for questioning on sexu..al assault. Let him be questioned first before anyone starts saying whether or not he did it.

If a member of the general public refused to sit for questioning on sexu..al assault charges, they’d be ostracised. Why is Assange different jor?

1 Like

Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 10:50am On Aug 17, 2012
mystikal: Assange is wanted for questioning on sexual assault. Let him be questioned first before anyone starts saying whether or not he did it.

If a member of the general public refused to sit for questioning on sexual assault charges, they’d be ostracised. Why is Assange different jor?

Exactly!!!!
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by delta234: 11:03am On Aug 17, 2012
DIPLOMATIC BAG MAKES SENSE! wink
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by softtouch2(m): 11:23am On Aug 17, 2012
British Police can only storm Ecuador Embassy if British local council declared that Ecuador Embassy's building is "Not fit for habitation" Thereby order will be issued for evacuation of Embassy to another building.
That is the only legal trick, UK can do now.
For crying out loud, this man has never done anything illegal in UK.

The best thing for Ecuador now is to declare Assange the Information attache Officer for Ecuadorian Embassy in UK .Gbam!!! Let me see how a Diplomatic Official would be arrested,?gringringrin
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 11:54am On Aug 17, 2012
soft-touch:
British Police can only storm Ecuador Embassy if British local council declared that Ecuador Embassy's building is "Not fit for habitation" Thereby order will be issued for evacuation of Embassy to another building.
That is the only legal trick, UK can do now.
For crying out loud, this man has never done anything illegal in UK.

The best thing for Ecuador now is to declare Assange the Information attache Officer for Ecuadorian Embassy in UK .Gbam!!! Let me see how a Diplomatic Official would be arrested,?gringringrin

He can not take any diplomatic position representing Ecuador in the UK without the UK Govt approving his appointment.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 1:02pm On Aug 17, 2012
Seriously they don't want to leave this guy alone!!! wikileaks is still running! nothing has changed they should get off his case!
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 5:52pm On Aug 17, 2012
queensmith: Seriously they don't want to leave this guy alone!!! wikileaks is still running! nothing has changed they should get off his case!

Why is he afraid of going to Sweden to answer the case of sexual allegation? I thought he stands for justices?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by softtouch2(m): 7:57am On Aug 18, 2012
justwise: [/b]

He can not take any diplomatic position representing Ecuador in the UK without the UK Govt approving his appointment.

Really!!!!, that is serious ooooo.
Enough muscle flexing for this case. I strongly believe some country are behind him other than Ecuador, but those countries may want anonymity.

Well, let seat back and enjoy how this will end.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 8:07am On Aug 18, 2012
soft-touch:

Enough muscle flexing for this case. I strongly believe some country are behind him other than Ecuador, but those countries may want anonymity.

Surely many countries will be supporting Ecuador and saying... well-done for standing up to British and all that.....but they have no case, Julian left all those countries supporting him and ran to the UK, he was allowed to use all legal means to avoid being sent to Sweden and he failed in all, the questions is....why did he not run to Ecuador or Australia from day one? Why is he afraid of going to Sweden to answer the allegation of sexual harassment?

I thought he stand for justices?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 22, 2012
soft-touch:

all the latin america countries are behind Ecuador.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 7:53am On Aug 22, 2012
Temistatics 007: all the latin america countries are behind Ecuador.

Their support means nothing, it will not stop Julian from being deported to Sweden to face the allegation.

They are only making the usual noise, Julian will probably get tired of house arrest and give himself up.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 11:07am On Aug 22, 2012
justwise:

Why is he afraid of going to Sweden to answer the case of sexual allegation? I thought he stands for justices?

Is it not obvious, they make such an effort to arrest someone on charges with little basis, the Swedish government themselves changing their own story a number of times. The agenda isn't subtle at all, he has been very open about fearing extradition to the US when he turned himself in to face these particular charges.
The Swedes are cooperating with the US government and if he leaves he doesn't stand a chance.

I don't blame him at all.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 11:15am On Aug 22, 2012
@topic, I am loving the story, just because of the implications and it paints the picture rape victims are given this much time and attention. But as to the scenarios we've been given I really can't wait to discuss it.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 11:40am On Aug 22, 2012
queensmith:

Is it not obvious, they make such an effort to arrest someone on charges with little basis, the Swedish government themselves changing their own story a number of times. The agenda isn't subtle at all, he has been very open about fearing extradition to the US when he turned himself in to face these particular charges.
The Swedes are cooperating with the US government and if he leaves he doesn't stand a chance.

I don't blame him at all.

If he claimed to be innocent then why has he being running away from justices for more than 2yrs now? He made a name as a human right campaigner and now its the time to practice what he preaches.

As for the US, if he has broken any US law then they have the right to go after him.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 11:43am On Aug 22, 2012
queensmith: @topic, I am loving the story, just because of the implications and it paints the picture rape victims are given this much time and attention. But as to the scenarios we've been given I really can't wait to discuss it.

Did you really say that? The rape victims are giving much time and attention?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 1:34pm On Aug 22, 2012
justwise:

If he claimed to be innocent then why has he being running away from justices for more than 2yrs now? He made a name as a human right campaigner and now its the time to practice what he preaches.

As for the US, if he has broken any US law then they have the right to go after him.

He didn't claim anything, he wasn't running away from justice he handed himself in when the arrest warrant was issued. He is campaigning for freedom of information fyi.

He broke no US law and they are still going after him- all these small claims are excuses for nothing. The crux of the matter is if he committed these crimes he should be able to face them without fear of facing a potentially unjust government bent on punishing him for his works. He has broken no law, why exactly do the US want him?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 1:34pm On Aug 22, 2012
justwise:

Did you really say that? The rape victims are giving much time and attention?

did i really say what- what did you read?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 4:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
queensmith:

He didn't claim anything, he wasn't running away from justice he handed himself in when the arrest warrant was issued. He is campaigning for freedom of information fyi.

He broke no US law and they are still going after him- all these small claims are excuses for nothing. The crux of the matter is if he committed these crimes he should be able to face them without fear of facing a potentially unjust government bent on punishing him for his works. He has broken no law, why exactly do the US want him?

He has being running away from justices for 2yrs now, he did not hand himself in to Swedish authority, why did he ran to the UK while he is wanted in Swenden? If he did not commit any offence in the US why then is him afriad of being deported there?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 9:08pm On Aug 22, 2012
justwise:

He has being running away from justices for 2yrs now, he did not hand himself in to Swedish authority, why did he ran to the UK while he is wanted in Swenden? If he did not commit any offence in the US why then is him afriad of being deported there?

You didn't read the post you quoted- again, he is running from Sweden because he fears he may be extradited to the us. If he committed those sexual offences then by all means I agree he should be punished for them, but chances are these accusations were cooked up to get him extradited.

Can you please highlight any US laws he has broken? It's not today the US have been holding innocent people like criminals.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 10:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
queensmith:

You didn't read the post you quoted- again, he is running from Sweden because he fears he may be extradited to the us. If he committed those sexual offences then by all means I agree he should be punished for them, but chances are these accusations were cooked up to get him extradited.

Can you please highlight any US laws he has broken? It's not today the US have been holding innocent people like criminals.

I read the post i quoted very well....how do you know that the allegation were cooked up? Any evidence? If he hasn't broken any US law why then is he afraid that he will be extradited there? Why would Sweden send him to US if he is innocent?

Can you name those innocent people the US has being holding like criminals?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by cheikh: 1:44pm On Aug 27, 2012
justwise
Don't mind those shouting UK can not arrest him, the UK has a law permitting them to arrest him inside the embassy, they are going to exercise that power if every diplomat routes failed to resolve it.

@^^ Let's hypothetically imagine that the Assange incident/embassy is that of "USA, France, Russia, Israel, Iran, Canada, Australia, China, South Africa, India or Brazil. Do you think that the so called [b]UK law [/b]will be applicable? UN and even EU binding rules/laws actually over-ride national laws I think wink. Nations/governments can choose to ignore international conventions/laws as demonstrated severally by Israel, USA and Russia because "might is right" but it does not make it right. Bros think about it. It is very tempting indeed for UK to blow hot and cold because Ecuador is not strategically/economically "important" for UK. Any country can have a small caveat in their law books to justify anything depending on your "strength"/place in the world wink.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 28, 2012
justwise:

I read the post i quoted very well....how do you know that the allegation were cooked up? Any evidence? If he hasn't broken any US law why then is he afraid that he will be extradited there? Why would Sweden send him to US if he is innocent?

read the history of guantanamo bay,5% of them were just caught with no offence under the pretext that they are dangerous to the existence of US citizens,the islamic nations have their reasons of being against USA,its just the way they allay their grievance that's wrong(terrorism).
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 9:11am On Aug 28, 2012
Temistatics 007: read the history of guantanamo bay,5% of them were just caught with no offence under the pretext that they are dangerous to the existence of US citizens,the islamic nations have their reasons of being against USA,its just the way they allay their grievance that's wrong(terrorism).
Why is the islamic nations against the west?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by jba203: 9:26am On Aug 28, 2012
Is it Diplomatic or Political Asylum? He is needed in Sweeden to face up charges that are not related to his leak site. His fear is a possible extradition to the US for the leaks. However, it should be bourne in mind that he does not qualify for Political Asylum as it is only applied in the host country that one is seeking protection from (in this case in Ecuador). As far as the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Immunities of 1963, DIPLOMATIC ASYLUM WAS DELIBERATLY NOT COVERED.....

The only way foward here is negotiations between the interests states. or they should try and smuggle him via the diplomatic bag,,,and that could proof risky, like one Nigerian incident a decade or so ago.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by postemail: 10:17pm On Aug 28, 2012
justwise:
What do you mean Islamic nations? You talking of all the OIC members?
You got to remember that many nations are tired of the west's biased stance and policies, most hated is the US. People are now wary of deifying the US. Today's unipolar world has given rise to the west concentrating more powers, and excessively bullying other nations. Remember Libya, Iraq, and now Syria. I see hypocrisy in western policies: CIA rendition - kidnap for torture; Guantanamo -arbitrary detention; US/ Isreal's extra judicial killings of Iranian scientists; coups / regime change; using democracy and human rights to affect Western interests.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 10:30pm On Aug 28, 2012
post.email:

What do you mean Islamic nations? You talking of all the OIC members?
You got to remember that many nations are tired of the west's biased stance and policies, most hated is the US. People are now wary of deifying the US. Today's unipolar world has given rise to the west concentrating more powers, and excessively bullying other nations. Remember Libya, Iraq, and now Syria. I see hypocrisy in western policies: CIA rendition - kidnap for torture; Guantanamo -arbitrary detention; US/ Isreal's extra judicial killings of Iranian scientists; coups / regime change; using democracy and human rights to affect Western interests.

You have not made tangible point, the same blame game we hear every day, the west is killing Syrians? Baseless allegation after allegation.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 12:41pm On Aug 29, 2012
justwise:

Thats not much of a debatable point, I doubt there is any evidence the claims weren't cooked up. Its going to be a matter of one word against another. If you read about the case he partied and slept with one of the accusers after the rape supposed 'rape' occurred,
And thats not the point, the UK may extradite Assange to Sweden, Sweden have no evidence Assange raped anybody? You don't need to have broken a law to be extradited it seems, you just need to be charged with an offense.
The US want to charge him with treason, I don't know why they think he has any business with allegiance to the United States,Assange has broken absolutely no US law and you just keep asking questions in circles.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 29, 2012
[quote author =justwise]
[/quote]they are not really against the west,if you ask an average middle-eastern citizen that question,their main meaning of WEST is america.now to the question==
cos of injustice on the part of america,especially afghanistan and kuwait.for example,afghanistam,do you know cos of osam bin laden,the US sends drones to some locations they think osama might be at just to 'flush him' out or kill him thereby killing millions of innocent citizens,its for this reason that many arabs say kabul may not know peace for decades even after the death of osama.
*Libya-do you know what america did to libya under the cover of taking down gaddafi,do you know how many oil barrels were taken by NATO-usa,framce and britain mainly?
Do you also know its not a coincidence that syrians don't want america help even in the verge of death since they don't want their country to be more devastated by the war once its finished as currently experienced at libya,no peace at libya till date,there are still internal conflicts after the fall of gaddafi.bessides,the USa never does things without javing a huge chunk of the gain
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 6:02pm On Aug 29, 2012
queensmith:

Thats not much of a debatable point, I doubt there is any evidence the claims weren't cooked up. Its going to be a matter of one word against another. If you read about the case he partied and slept with one of the accusers after the rape supposed 'rape' occurred,
And thats not the point, the UK may extradite Assange to Sweden, Sweden have no evidence Assange raped anybody? You don't need to have broken a law to be extradited it seems, you just need to be charged with an offense.
The US want to charge him with treason, I don't know why they think he has any business with allegiance to the United States,Assange has broken absolutely no US law and you just keep asking questions in circles.
Your points are all over the place, i can't make out exactly what you are going on about, you still have not answered my question...which is..if you claimed that the allegations were cooked up and that he has not broken any law in US why then has he being running away from the law for 2yrs?

He went to court to challenged the extradition order and failed as many time as he tried, now he ran to Ecuadorean embassy for an asylum, why would an 'innocent' person be taking such steps? Why is he afraid of going to Sweden to answer those allegations? He was not charged for anything.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 6:08pm On Aug 29, 2012
Temistatics 007: they are not really against the west,if you ask an average middle-eastern citizen that question,their main meaning of WEST is america.now to the question==
cos of injustice on the part of america,especially afghanistan and kuwait.for example,afghanistam,do you know cos of osam bin laden,the US sends drones to some locations they think osama might be at just to 'flush him' out or kill him thereby killing millions of innocent citizens,its for this reason that many arabs say kabul may not know peace for decades even after the death of osama.
*Libya-do you know what america did to libya under the cover of taking down gaddafi,do you know how many oil barrels were taken by NATO-usa,framce and britain mainly?
Do you also know its not a coincidence that syrians don't want america help even in the verge of death since they don't want their country to be more devastated by the war once its finished as currently experienced at libya,no peace at libya till date,there are still internal conflicts after the fall of gaddafi.bessides,the USa never does things without javing a huge chunk of the gain

America killed millions of people in Afghanistan? What is the population of Afghanistan? Where is the evidence that America, Britain and France stole barrels of oil from Libya, you are just making some unfounded allegation without any reasonable logic.
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by queensmith: 9:30pm On Aug 29, 2012
justwise:
Your points are all over the place, i can't make out exactly what you are going on about, you still have not answered my question...which is..if you claimed that the allegations were cooked up and that he has not broken any law in US why then has he being running away from the law for 2yrs?

He went to court to challenged the extradition order and failed as many time as he tried, now he ran to Ecuadorean embassy for an asylum, why would an 'innocent' person be taking such steps? Why is he afraid of going to Sweden to answer those allegations? He was not charged for anything.

Its easy for you to say given you arent actually making a point. It's not difficult to understand I don't know why you are having difficulties, and like I keep saying you are asking questions in circles.

I have answered your questions, if what I have said isn't factual it will be easy for you to dispel my 'claims' with facts. You can't, which is why you keep asking the same question over again.

Nobody is debating that he went to court or that he sought asylum? What point were you trying to make there?
Re: Julian Assange:UK 'threat' To Arrest Wikileaks Founder Inside Ecuadorean Embassy by justwise(m): 11:45pm On Aug 29, 2012
queensmith:

Its easy for you to say given you arent actually making a point. It's not difficult to understand I don't know why you are having difficulties, and like I keep saying you are asking questions in circles.

I have answered your questions, if what I have said isn't factual it will be easy for you to dispel my 'claims' with facts. You can't, which is why you keep asking the same question over again.

Nobody is debating that he went to court or that he sought asylum? What point were you trying to make there?

You have not answered any question, all you have done all long is to repeat the same thing...which is that the allegations were cooked up and he did not break any law US law.

Why would an innocent person who committed no crime be running away from the law for 2yrs? He was not charged for any offence but an allegation, Sweden and US does not have any extradition agreement, so why would Sweden extradict him to US?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Given Suspended Jail Sentence For Sending Abusive Emails To Biden And Sunak / Top 10 Countries With Most Powerful Nuclear Weapons In The World / Inside The US B-2 Nuclear Stealth Bomber-the Most Expensive Jet Of All Times.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.