Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,272 members, 7,954,065 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:48 AM

Why Are There No More Prophets? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There No More Prophets? (1807 Views)

Appraisal: Are Our Prophets Right About 2015 Election? / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? / Major False Prophets In Nigeria - Must Watch Video added to last page of article (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are There No More Prophets? by TheOP1(m): 12:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
Something that puzzles me about the Bible Quran and religion in general is why there are no new prophets? Why all the centuries ago, did God 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the Bible and Quran and then seemingly just stop! That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if God reveals himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why did god chose to only reveal himself to prophet of the ''stone ages'' when people hardly knew anything and could not scientifically verify such claims.

Why doesn't god reveal himself anymore?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by wiegraf: 1:03pm On Aug 17, 2012

You do know what 'cults' are, yes?
Off the top of my head, consider the bahai, who have achieved 'religion' status. At least they are peaceful (iirc) and by abrahamic standards, extremely tolerant
Mormons (whose founder was hung by a mob, for 419, it has over a million adherents today) and yes, scientology (rumour is it started off as a bet, read rumour)
Quite a lot of these die in their infancy. A few reach critical mass then don't look back unless there's some sort internal disaster. Like a social network, once it attains a certain amount of users its survival is more or else guaranteed if it keeps up with the times (I'm still not sure how myspace failed). Actually, similar to how the bits of evolution work.

Edit: clarity
Mormons: 14 million
Bahai: 5 million
Scientology: ha ha ha, nobody knows. They claim 15, others claim less than 1
All began less than 200 years ago. All have prophets of course
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 17, 2012
The OP: Something that puzzles me about the Bible Quran and religion in general is why there are no new prophets? Why all the centuries ago, did God 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the Bible and Quran and then seemingly just stop! That makes no sense to me.

I reasonably assume if God reveals himself to a new prophet tomorrow, this person would be considered a raving nut-job and probably mentally ill, even by the most devout of believers.

So why did god chose to only reveal himself to prophet of the ''stone ages'' when people hardly knew anything and could not scientifically verify such claims.

What is your definition of a Prophet ?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 17, 2012
good question with a simple answer. in ancient days the laws and statutes and commandments were not written down. it was inside man. however when man fell, he became dissociated from God and did not have that innate ability of the laws anymore. so the 'bible' or the 'word' had to be put on hard copy. thats why he had to appear to jeremiah, isaiah, moses, hosea, malachi, ezekiel, joel, obadiah, daniel, matthew mark luke john paul, zephaniah, zechariah, etc etc so that they can put the word to paper. after that had been achieved, no need to appear to anyone again. you have the words in the bible. the words in the bible is the holy-spirit of christ ( john 6 vs 63 ) so everytime you read the bible, the lord appears to you through his word. so the answer to your question is THE LORD STILL APPEARS TO US TODAY BUT HE DOES IT THROUGH THE BIBLE NOW.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Inik(m): 1:36pm On Aug 17, 2012
@Op we have prophets, God still speaks to people nowadays. I guess your definition of a prophet is that of an old man wearing a flowing white gown with a long white beard
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Avicenna: 2:41pm On Aug 17, 2012
Puzzling eh...

After progress in the diagnosis of mental illnesses(I'm looking at you schizophrenia) and epilepsy, the number of 'prophets' fell before I could say 419......

For instance, Prophet Muhammad went into a cave to meditate, he came out claiming to see an angel. Apparently, he either starved himself enough to hallucinate or suffered from prisoner's light among a variety of stress-induced mental illnesses he could have suffered.....or blatant lie.

Prophets are just imaginative bunch of criminals.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by okeyxyz(m): 3:31pm On Aug 17, 2012
wiegraf:
You do know what 'cults' are, yes?
Off the top of my head, consider the bahai, who have achieved 'religion' status. At least they are peaceful (iirc) and by abrahamic standards, extremely tolerant
Mormons (whose founder was hung by a mob, for 419, it has over a million adherents today) and yes, scientology (rumour is it started off as a bet, read rumour)
Quite a lot of these die in their infancy. A few reach critical mass then don't look back unless there's some sort internal disaster. Like a social network, once it attains a certain amount of users its survival is more or else guaranteed if it keeps up with the times (I'm still not sure how myspace failed). Actually, similar to how the bits of evolution work.

Edit: clarity
Mormons: 14 million
Bahai: 5 million
Scientology: ha ha ha, nobody knows. They claim 15, others claim less than 1
All began less than 200 years ago. All have prophets of course

except for the mention of prophet in the last line, How is your response in anyway related to the question?? Or did you mean to post this on another thread?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by wiegraf: 3:40pm On Aug 17, 2012
okeyxyz:

except for the mention of prophet in the last line, How is your response in anyway related to the question?? Or did you mean to post this on another thread?

Do cults have prophets oh wise and great one?
Do the religions I list, all recent, have prophets or not oh brilliant one?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by okeyxyz(m): 3:42pm On Aug 17, 2012
Avicenna: Puzzling eh...

After progress in the diagnosis of mental illnesses(I'm looking at you schizophrenia) and epilepsy, the number of 'prophets' fell before I could say 419......

For instance, Prophet Muhammad went into a cave to meditate, he came out claiming to see an angel. Apparently, he either starved himself enough to hallucinate or suffered from prisoner's light among a variety of stress-induced mental illnesses he could have suffered.....or blatant lie.

Hmm, it's funny how you start off with a good, logical argument, then suddenly spoil it with statements such as the bolded, out of some deep seated hatred of people simply because they follow a different philosophy than you. So tell me, who has more tendency to criminality?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by okeyxyz(m): 3:45pm On Aug 17, 2012
wiegraf:

Do cults have prophets oh wise and great one?
Do the religions I list, all recent, have prophets or not oh brilliant one?
The question was: why are there no more prophets that god reveals himself to. How does your response address that?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by okeyxyz(m): 3:52pm On Aug 17, 2012
@The_OP, Why does god appear to anybody, whether now or in the past? What's the exceptional need that humans can't seem to tackle, so that it requires god's intervention to deliver a solution?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Avicenna: 3:59pm On Aug 17, 2012
okeyxyz:

Hmm, it's funny how you start off with a good, logical argument, then suddenly spoil it with statements such as the bolded, out of some deep seated hatred of people simply because they follow a different philosophy than you. So tell me, who has more tendency to criminality?
Prophets as in prophets that start religion based on supernaturalism. Who deceives people to fleece them for what they have. That's criminal. I have no regret hating such people.

There are some religious leaders that only preach morality. Even if I don't agree with them, I respect their philosophy. Only the thieving ones are the criminals.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by wiegraf: 4:00pm On Aug 17, 2012
okeyxyz:
The question was: why are there no more prophets that god reveals himself to. How does your response address that?

In case it isn't bleeding obvious my response is there are prophets that god reveals himself to.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by solomon111(m): 5:03pm On Aug 17, 2012
But,how long will this atheists keeps defiling every christian thread with unadulterated buffonery?!
I was actually looking forward to learning from this thread,and possibly chip in my own contribution,but the way it is,i dont think i can anymore.
SMH.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by wiegraf: 5:48pm On Aug 17, 2012
solomon111: But,how long will this atheists keeps defiling every christian thread with unadulterated buffonery?!
I was actually looking forward to learning from this thread,and possibly chip in my own contribution,but the way it is,i dont think i can anymore.
SMH.
Interesting, he mentions the koran and other religions. This is a christian only thread? If he had mentioned that then I wouldn't have posted anything. Else as it stands now your post is totally worthless. So if I'm not mistaken that would make you the buffoon, no?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by FMK(m): 1:00pm On Aug 18, 2012
The OP: Something that puzzles me about the Bible Quran and religion in general is why there are no new prophets? Why all the centuries ago, did God 'reveal' himself to the prophets of the Bible and Quran and then seemingly just stop! That makes no sense to me.

all prophets have gone because the job of God is finished the last one was jesus he worked and has gone too he took with them to heaven everyone he wanted and this last generation that all rubish there is no one is going in heaven anymore you killing your time
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by okeyxyz(m): 1:23pm On Aug 18, 2012
The question of @The_OP is flawed in that He still wants to relate with god in the same manner as the prophets of 2000 or more years ago did. If there is going to be communication between god and man, then it would have to be in terms of things we are familiar with, in terms of current day values. So god today would provide me a car instead of a horse, He'd expect me to go to a doctor for medical treatment instead of waiting on a miracle healing(we only do miracles when there seems to be no available medical solutions or unafordable), etc.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by EvilBrain1(m): 1:32pm On Aug 18, 2012
There aren't any prophets now and there were never any in the past. All we have are a bunch of charlatans and lunatics who have been legitimized by popular acclamation and the passage of time.

1400 years ago, Mohammed would have looked every bit as fraudulent as Oyedepo and TB Joshua do today. And in a few hundred years from now, people may be bowing down and praying to pastor Chris (assuming he doesn't get caught fíngering little boys before then).

Time makes the most ridiculous things look legitimate. Preachers, religions, buildings and even pröstitutes all become respectable if they live long enough. It's a fact of life.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by TheOP1(m): 1:59pm On Aug 18, 2012
[quote author=Evil Brain
Time makes the most ridiculous things look legitimate. Preachers, religions, buildings and even pröstitutes all become respectable if they live long enough. It's a fact of life.[/quote]
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by TheOP1(m): 1:59pm On Aug 18, 2012
True talk
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by wiegraf: 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2012
Moonies have leveled up legally to a religion. Scientology still can't get a break. I vote for joshua getting his own official religion ahead of the others.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:00pm On Aug 18, 2012
there is profit today because there are no more prophet.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by LagosShia: 6:26pm On Aug 18, 2012
according to Islam,the Quran is the seal of messages and Muhammad (sa),the seal of prophets.all you need to know about spirituality and living a religious-filled life is already with us.anyone who claim to be a "prophet" thereafter is an impostor.ofcourse,if you're waiting for humanity to agree in belief on one man in a united way,that is almost impossible.that will only be achieved with the coming of the 12th Imam,Imam Mahdi (ajtfs) and the descent of Prophet Isa (as)-Jesus.

now it is left for you to either do good or bad,believe or disbelieve.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by CrazyMan(m): 7:36pm On Aug 18, 2012
First I would refer you to this passage.

God said in Acts chapter 2 from verse 17  And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: 18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: 19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

The problem with todays christians is that we prefer to answer prayers by ourselves.
God is willing and ready to give us his spirit, but the things of the world has crept into the heart of man so much so that he feels he's too busy for God or rather God cannot solve the kind of problem he's currently facing.

Now take a look at the following.
1) A student prays to God for exam success, then goes behind to sort the same exam he prayed to God for. Now what do you want God to do? As far God is concerned the student in question has answered his own prayer; so God won't lift a finger.

2) A lady asks God for a husband, then goes about sleeping with married men. How does she expect God to grant her request. Doesn't she know that her body is the temple of God?

3) A self acclaimed pastor goes about decieving people and extorting money from then all in the name of salvation. How would God make such a person his prophet?

I strongly believe that God's miracle power still exists. All it takes is for Christians to make up their mind and give up self, pride, sexual immorality, greed and other fruits of the flesh. And I can assure you that you would begin to experience God in ways you possibly can't imagine.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Sweetnecta: 8:20pm On Aug 18, 2012
@Avicenna:
? by Avicenna: 2:41pm On Aug 17
Puzzling eh...

i can see why you continue to be dishonest, here and at home. if you are not suffering from schizophrenia, that is no reason for you to tell at home you are no more a muslim and dont belief in existence of God. we see from your opinion of Muhammad [sa] a man who there is no proof from you against him that all you have done is making baseless remarks and as some other person put it to you because of your deep seeded hatred of other people's set of beliefs you are displaying this epileptic condition; you may not remember that you are making them, your lies are hurting others.

have you told your muslims girlfriend, yet, while your parents may keep you still since they really can disown you, the muslim woman will drop you like a bad habit.

And Muhammad [sa] did not start Islam. He reestablished it as instructed and Allah The God Who you do not believe exist commissioned him and perfect the completed religion which started with Adam [as] on him.

Or you do not know that Islam is submission to the WILL of God to be over your own will?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Sweetnecta: 8:49pm On Aug 18, 2012
@Avicenna:
by Avicenna: 3:59pm On Aug 17

okeyxyz:

Prophets as in prophets that start religion based on supernaturalism. Who deceives people to fleece them for what they have. That's criminal. I have no regret hating such people.

There are some religious leaders that only preach morality. Even if I don't agree with them, I respect their philosophy. Only the thieving ones are the criminals.
Since you are chomping on Muhammad [sa] as your that example of prophet you dislike or disbelieve, tell me if there was no Islam on earth before Muhammad [sa] declared he was a prophet of God to preach Islam? Them who did Muhammad [sa] fleeced? Or you are just angry for no logical reason except that you are spiritually lazy and deceitful and hence calls true prophet of your Creator Who you are denying criminals?

I asked myself a question the other day, just to reaffirm in myself that God does exist; Obviously I was young once, like in the teenage years, then i got older. If there is no God Who has put in my body the mechanism of aging, what exact age would I love to remain forever and why?

Whatever age and my reason, somebody else will have a different age and reason and somebody may just have the same set of age and reason as me. What is for sure though is that some varied answers will emerge among the human population. The God Who has created the smallest details in us, even our finger prints to be different and unique to each person, the snow flakes to be different from one another has made a single set of realities for all of us; we will live and die and He has promised to have a Judgment Day for us where he will not wrong anyone even in His justice.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Avicenna: 9:21pm On Aug 18, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Avicenna: i can see why you continue to be dishonest, here and at home. if you are not suffering from schizophrenia, that is no reason for you to tell at home you are no more a muslim and dont belief in existence of God. we see from your opinion of Muhammad [sa] a man who there is no proof from you against him that all you have done is making baseless remarks and as some other person put it to you because of your deep seeded hatred of other people's set of beliefs you are displaying this epileptic condition; you may not remember that you are making them, your lies are hurting others.

have you told your muslims girlfriend, yet, while your parents may keep you still since they really can disown you, the muslim woman will drop you like a bad habit.

And Muhammad [sa] did not start Islam. He reestablished it as instructed and Allah The God Who you do not believe exist commissioned him and perfect the completed religion which started with Adam [as] on him.

Or you do not know that Islam is submission to the WILL of God to be over your own will?

I think you should tone down your insults. I can also return them easily.

What you don't know can't hurt you.

No matter how you want to rehash history, interpret to suit yourself, I do not care. I give my opinions after years of following a religion I deem to be invalid. Like the rest.

If ALLAH require me submitting my will to him( I have been told this from my first madrasat to my school MSSN), then he should tell me. I don't need you telling me what I know. I don't need you preaching my former faith to me, let Allah himself tell me. If he exists that is.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Avicenna: 9:25pm On Aug 18, 2012
Sweetnecta: @Avicenna: Since you are chomping on Muhammad [sa] as your that example of prophet you dislike or disbelieve, tell me if there was no Islam on earth before Muhammad [sa] declared he was a prophet of God to preach Islam? Them who did Muhammad [sa] fleeced? Or you are just angry for no logical reason except that you are spiritually lazy and deceitful and hence calls true prophet of your Creator Who you are denying criminals?

I asked myself a question the other day, just to reaffirm in myself that God does exist; Obviously I was young once, like in the teenage years, then i got older. If there is no God Who has put in my body the mechanism of aging, what exact age would I love to remain forever and why?

Whatever age and my reason, somebody else will have a different age and reason and somebody may just have the same set of age and reason as me. What is for sure though is that some varied answers will emerge among the human population. The God Who has created the smallest details in us, even our finger prints to be different and unique to each person, the snow flakes to be different from one another has made a single set of realities for all of us; we will live and die and He has promised to have a Judgment Day for us where he will not wrong anyone even in His justice.

Again, do not distort history. I know enough myself.

We v been through this before. Your EVIDENCE is not EVIDENCE! Let Allah himself prove to me he exists. I'm waiting.
Barka de sallah. Na 2 chop chicken remain.
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by wiegraf: 9:31pm On Aug 18, 2012
@avi, you know, you might really be stoned to death. You damned apostate you.... I was disowned, but they more or less could see it coming from far away, and certain members of my family are fairly cool.

You, on the other hand, being an alfa may have a hell of a lot more trouble from what I can see here. You best remain the secret atheist for a while

Random: I will never, ever ever ever ever ever subscribe to their beliefs. I'd rather die frankly... And I mean it...
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Avicenna: 9:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
wiegraf: @avi, you know, you might really be stoned to death. You damned apostate you.... I was disowned, but they more or less could see it coming from far away, and certain members of my family are fairly cool.

You, on the other hand, being an alfa may have a hell of a lot more trouble from what I can see here. You best remain the secret atheist for a while

Random: I will never, ever ever ever ever ever subscribe to their beliefs. I'd rather die frankly... And I mean it...
Hahahaha I'm not the Alfa business type. I know enough to be respected as one but I m not a alfa on my way to sheikh.

But I m getting something from your post. Are you a former muslim?shocked

I keep ignoring sweetnecta's pushing to declare. That's gotta be the stupidest thing I will ever do. Just like you, I will probably be disowned. At this point, I DO NOT REQUIRE THAT. Is that hard to understand for some people?
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by tintingz(m): 10:20pm On Aug 18, 2012
Avicenna: Puzzling eh...

can you give any reports of his illness or why his message spread around the world while many people are still embracing his message(Quran)...hello o are OK at all? ...are you madt or what...better visit yaba left...nut head
Re: Why Are There No More Prophets? by Avicenna: 10:40pm On Aug 18, 2012
tintingz: can you give any reports of his illness or why his message spread around the world while many people are still embracing his message(Quran)...hello o are OK at all? ...are you madt or what...better visit yaba left...nut head

The mad guy dey call others mad. Classic.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rules And Regulation Of Typical Deeper Life Girl / Another Side Of Islam / Did Jesus Die For His Sin Or Cluelessness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.