Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo (4325 Views)

10 Things You Must Know And Have Before Creating A Blog / Earn More Money On Your Blog By Creating Your Own Products / Tips For Creating A Successful Blog/Site (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 8:32am On Aug 18, 2012
I received the following message in my mailbox yesterday,

The Latest Development In Igboland

Hide Details
onyenchekwa@igbokaa.com

TO:

Message flagged Thursday, August 16, 2012 4:58 PM
Good day,

I am contacting you to inform you about the new development in Igboland. Group of igbo programmers have developed a social networking site in igbo language that will help to sustain and promote igbo language in the entire world amongst our teeming youth. This site www.igbokaa.com although not yet perfect but is functional where every activity takes place in igbo language, this site will help our teeming youth to improve their igbo language as a means of communication if it is promoted very well which is one of the reason we are contacting you. We are urging you people to promote this new development with everything withing your reach so that our language will be sustained.

onyenchekwa@igbokaa.com
Photos
igbokaa.JPG
Download All.

When i saw the mail i taught is one of this crazy spammers, but when i give it a try and opened the site i was proud to be an igbo guy.

So my question is igbo folks in NL will you be joining this or will this be another failed project

1 Like

Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by heynew: 8:55am On Aug 18, 2012
I s this for real grin grin

the people that did this might have done it with good intent but will the ego of an igbo girl allow her to patronize it.

Nice one sha

Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by omni1: 10:50am On Aug 18, 2012
It will ever be a flop. Count down to see
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by heynew: 11:47am On Aug 18, 2012
*omni:
It will ever be a flop. Count down to see

Are u saying this out of real facts or just sentiments
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by omni1: 1:08pm On Aug 18, 2012
Never mind.... Just keep counting down is all that matters.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 18, 2012
*omni:
Never mind.... Just keep counting down is all that matters.

@ omni, instead of you to provide your facts and reasons why u said it will flop you are busy counting down 2014 world cup.

btw are u in any means on a bet with the owners, just asking
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by yawatide(f): 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2012
Of what point is an igbo social network? where is the originality? How many people who actually speak igbo understand it enough to know what will be going on? Which igbo will be used (central, etc etc)?

There are bigger fish to fry in the world of technology. Let's stop "follow follow" and come up with something unique.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 18, 2012
@ Yawatide i have the following comments for you.

Of what point is an igbo social network?
you should ask the Russians of what use is VKontakte them or ask the Chinese of what use is sina Weibo is to them

How many people who actually speak igbo understand it enough to know what will be going on

I think that should be the purpose of the whole project.

Which igbo will be used (central, etc etc)?

that should be the only thing they should be concerned about

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by omni1: 3:07pm On Aug 18, 2012
USarmy:

@ omni, instead of you to provide your facts and reasons why u said it will flop you are busy counting down 2014 world cup.

btw are u in any means on a bet with the owners, just asking

Just count down. That's all! wink
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by nairalady(f): 4:07pm On Aug 18, 2012
you yorubas hate everything igbo..Why?
If it were a yoruba social network..it would have been on the front page by now..na wa ooo
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 4:46pm On Aug 18, 2012
nairalady: you yorubas hate everything igbo..Why?
If it were a yoruba social network..it would have been on the front page by now..na wa ooo

Offence 1: Generalizing my best friend is igbo and my family friends are so stop pegging us as igbo-haters. thank u
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by yawatide(f): 5:12pm On Aug 18, 2012
USArmy,

My concern still stands, though you do have a point on my first issue raised - why can't we be the ones that the chinese and russians and americans copy from? Why do we always have to be the "follow follow" and "copy copy" people?
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by mitey(m): 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2012
The idea has some demerits, but its not so bad after all.

I checked the site, and I have these suggestions
1. The site loads slowly. That should be looked into.
2. If the purpose of the project is to encourage the learning of Igbo language, people who have no idea at all about it should be assisted. I would suggest that help links that display the English translation of text when you hover over them. Also the correct Igbo pronunciation should be available in similar links that play the audio when a user hovers over the link.
3. Why is it that the buttons 'Sign Up' and 'Create my account' have English values?

Summarily, it would be better for the site to not be tagged as a social network, that's not original. It could be a meeting place for Igbo people to keep up with one another, conduct business, etc. entirely in Igbo.
Nairaland is a kind of a social network, but is not branded as such. If this project were to succeed, it will be Nigeria's second truly Nigerian website that's strictly for Nigerians.

NB: For more originality, the developers may prefer to use non-English for their links like contact, signin, etc.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 18, 2012
if it were a yoruba network, same will apply.
Google launched search in Igbo Yoruba Hausa
ask yourself when last you used the igbo search version.

by using igbo, you are actually telling me, a yoruba dude, i am not welcomed.
so lets say you are destined to have 3 million users, divide that by 3, subtract spammers, subtract double IDs, subtract idle users
the change wont be much.

i believe an igbo person has even criticized it already so why not try this

1. make English the default language
2. let people decide what language the want by providing the igbo option.

dont take our candid advice as bad belle, try it.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by mrperfect(m): 9:45pm On Aug 18, 2012
That is awesome idea, focus on it and promote it, there are millions of igbo speaking people worldwide who will join it for so many reasons being the first to trade this part. Again you have a good niche here.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 18, 2012
mitey: The idea has some demerits, but its not so bad after all.

2. If the purpose of the project is to encourage the learning of Igbo language, people who have no idea at all about it should be assisted. I would suggest that help links that display the English translation of text when you hover over them. Also the correct Igbo pronunciation should be available in similar links that play the audio when a user hovers over the link.
3. Why is it that the buttons 'Sign Up' and 'Create my account' have English values?

Summarily, it would be better for the site to not be tagged as a social network, that's not original. It could be a meeting place for Igbo people to keep up with one another, conduct business, etc. entirely in Igbo.
Nairaland is a kind of a social network, but is not branded as such. If this project were to succeed, it will be Nigeria's second truly Nigerian website that's strictly for Nigerians.

NB: For more originality, the developers may prefer to use non-English for their links like contact, signin, etc.

This is the most professional and intelligent comment i have seen in these thread. I will reply the message i received from them with all your reviews, keep it up with ur constructive criticism
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by heynew: 10:55pm On Aug 18, 2012

Nwanne m nwanyi don't mind them
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by omni1: 7:37am On Aug 19, 2012
@USarmy I guess this is your project right? Come out clean and possibly ask for how to improve on that project if you want to develop it further. That is only how you can get constructive criticisms that will enable you get something good out of the project. Then finally, you now battle with the life span of the project.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by phpNET(m): 11:01am On Aug 19, 2012
This is a welcomed development, nice job IGBOKAA pls keep it alive for all igbo's nd prevent d ofe nmmanus from entry pls ooo.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 19, 2012
Lolz. Could not find the sign up button. "Sign up" is on igbo language as well. Child's play.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 9:28pm On Aug 19, 2012
*omni:
@USarmy I guess this is your project right? Come out clean and possibly ask for how to improve on that project if you want to develop it further. That is only how you can get constructive criticisms that will enable you get something good out of the project. Then finally, you now battle with the life span of the project.

@ MR. Omni thank you very much for associating me with this type of project am flattered,

Am really LOL to ur 'battle with the life span of the project prophesy' of urs, but let me bring it to ur notice that your pessimistic feelings will not in any way affect the success or the failure of this project. because whether the project will succeed or fail it is only in the hand of two people, God and the Igbo Race

1 Like

Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by omni1: 11:20pm On Aug 19, 2012
USarmy:

@ MR. Omni thank you very much for associating me with this type of project am flattered,

Am really LOL to ur 'battle with the life span of the project prophesy' of urs, but let me bring it to ur notice that your pessimistic feelings will not in any way affect the success or the failure of this project. because whether the project will succeed or fail it is only in the hand of two people, God and the [size=14pt]Igbo Race[/size]
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by heynew: 9:03am On Aug 20, 2012
Una be fool: Lolz. Could not find the sign up button. "Sign up" is on igbo language as well. Child's play.

Can you explain the above in spanish cuz the english version is misleading. How can u be asking why sign up button is in igbo lang. In an igbo site

1 Like

Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by heynew: 9:44am On Aug 20, 2012
@ mr slyrox can you take this to the frontpage if u have the power so that other igbo people will benefit from it, thank you
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by htajz: 12:12am On Aug 21, 2012
interesting, hope non igbos that understand and can write igbo are welcome.secondly i think they should put a share button for social networks so that people can share it on facebok ,tweeter etc thats the fastest way to get more member, nice project hop they improve with time.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 12:50am On Aug 22, 2012
How can a social networking site a place or peope to learn Igbo. It's a meeting place or Igbos, chikena.

Even though I've not reviewed the site, I will rate it above the tons of social networking sites that have come out of Nigeria because it appeals to a niche unlike other general social media sites that are just an extension ok facebook.

I hope to checkout the site later.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by heynew: 12:11pm On Sep 08, 2012
I think they should create a translated help page for easy sign up
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by guru01(m): 3:01pm On Sep 08, 2012
mitey: The idea has some demerits, but its not so bad after all.

To add to the ^^

I will assume the website is still under development, because i still see somethin like "CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT" button.

I will suggest English version of the website for those who are born abroad and wants to feel at home.

Nice project.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Afam4eva(m): 3:40pm On Sep 08, 2012
^^ You're spot on.
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by bug24(m): 5:05pm On Sep 08, 2012
Hmmmm an igbo site? Anyamu afugo ntim.
Ngwanu, kayin naa ga niru.

@yawatide, am not sure what OS version of igbo language will be a hinderance. Generally, when igbos from diff states come together on a common ground, the central igbo is used. Which is the Anambra. Others will only have a little diFficulty in spelling but hey! When they read over 3times, definitly the meanin will dawn on em.

This will be a good platform for me as an mbaise man from imo state wey don lose since independence for k'aaro...ojire (yoruba) land to be able to learn to write igbo better.

Kudos to d team dt brot dis up..but bros Army or na Navy, why u dey hide? U dey shame for ur work ni?

And... I pray u guyz can sustain/retain/hehehe dis dream oh!

I no wan see "host server cannot be found" in the next one year oh!

...Webgod
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by heynew: 5:27am On Sep 09, 2012
guru01:

To add to the ^^

I will assume the website is still under development, because i still see somethin like "CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT" button.

I will suggest English version of the website for those who are born abroad and wants to feel at home.

Nice project.

i think with an english version the purpose of the project will be defeated, cuz a lot of users will now prefer the english version
Re: Igbo Programmers Dares Facebook And Twitter By Creating A Social Network In Igbo by Nobody: 7:58am On Sep 10, 2012
bug24: Hmmmm an igbo site? Anyamu afugo ntim.
Ngwanu, kayin naa ga niru.

@yawatide, am not sure what OS version of igbo language will be a hinderance. Generally, when igbos from diff states come together on a common ground, the central igbo is used. Which is the Anambra. Others will only have a little diFficulty in spelling but hey! When they read over 3times, definitly the meanin will dawn on em.

This will be a good platform for me as an mbaise man from imo state wey don lose since independence for k'aaro...ojire (yoruba) land to be able to learn to write igbo better.

Kudos to d team dt brot dis up..but bros Army or na Navy, why u dey hide? U dey shame for ur work ni?

And... I pray u guyz can sustain/retain/hehehe dis dream oh!

I no wan see "host server cannot be found" in the next one year oh!

...Webgod

@bug24 it is not really my project, am just a concerned igbo guy like you that feels i should bring it up here for all Igbo's to see, but i thought by now the mods of this forum should have taken it to the frontpage for other Igbo people not in this section to see, but .........

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Integrate "Payment With Airtime" Feature Into Your Web Applications. / Nigeria Has Its Own Paypal: Cashenvoy / I Need A Good Payment Processor That Can Accept ATM Payment On My Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.