Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,530 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:37 PM

What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. (895 Views)

5 archeological evidences to proof the Bible is real(with pictures) / Compelling Evidence That The Bible Is True - Fulfilled Prophecy / Part Of The Bible Is Straight From Egyptian Mythology(plagiarism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 1:40pm On Aug 18, 2012
Yes, it's called the Word of God by many. It's also referred to as a collection of sacred writings by some others. Some people call it a fraud too. Everyone is entitled to and responsible for the opinion they accept as theirs.

But what is the Bible? Or, at least, what does the Bible say it is (even if not in so many words)? The answer will tell how to read the Bible and why it must be consistent and trustworthy. It will also tell why, during the compilation of writings that became the book itself, some books were discarded and rejected as to their authenticity.

The Bible is the story of the Lord Jesus. From Genesis to Revelation, it speaks of the Son of God. The One Who made all things, by Whom and for Whom they all exist. It tells the story of His Love. The story of a Love that created, sustained, lost, disciplined, tolerated, called, pined for and won back that which He loved.

To make sense of the Bible, the reader must read it as a single straight story, like a woven garment without seams. This treatment brings to mind the story of a jigsaw puzzle I read once. The more obvious side of the puzzle was the map of the world broken into many little pieces that fit uniquely. When a child (or someone else) finally succeeded to fit it together, everyone was amazed and wondered how he did it. He said that there was the picture of a man on the reverse side. Not everyone knows geography that well or where each country is. But who does not know where the nose ought to be and where the toe is? This is analogous of the Bible. Break it into its historical, poetical, prophetic, gospel, mystic and other aspects and fitting everything together becomes a staggering task. But take it all as one story, the story of God Who loved so much that He took on the form of that which He loved in order to make family out of His enemies and it all falls into place.

Of course, the various aspects must be respected for their individual contribution. But divorcing any aspect from the whole will result in a great deal of trouble and contention. This is generally how denominations formed and various warring philosophies were birthed. A person who finds a human hand sticking out the door can say anything, even logically correct things about it, that will ultimately lead to untrue assumptions about it unless they know the person to whom it's attached. The same way even very correct doctrines can become grievous errors once they have been divorced from the Person of Christ Jesus.

Consider reading the Bible a little differently now. Forget about false doctrines and which denominations and "men of God" birthed and propagated them for just a little bit and read the Bible for yourself. You'll probably be surprised to find Jesus all over the Bible pouring out His unmatched Love upon undeserving sinners and wicked enemies of His. You'll probably be able finally to apprehend hitherto obscure verses and passages. Hidden meanings and contradictory matters will begin to open up like sun-kissed flowers to your questing heart.

Grace be with you, my greatly beloved brothers and sisters.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by cyrexx: 2:15pm On Aug 18, 2012

Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by plaetton: 2:25pm On Aug 18, 2012
Ihedinobi: Yes, it's called the Word of God by many. It's also referred to as a collection of sacred writings by some others. Some people call it a fraud too. Everyone is entitled to and responsible for the opinion they accept as theirs.

But what is the Bible? Or, at least, what does the Bible say it is (even if not in so many words)? The answer will tell how to read the Bible and why it must be consistent and trustworthy. It will also tell why, during the compilation of writings that became the book itself, some books were discarded and rejected as to their authenticity.

The Bible is the story of the Lord Jesus. From Genesis to Revelation, it speaks of the Son of God. The One Who made all things, by Whom and for Whom they all exist. It tells the story of His Love. The story of a Love that created, sustained, lost, disciplined, tolerated, called, pined for and won back that which He loved.

To make sense of the Bible, the reader must read it as a single straight story, like a woven garment without seams. This treatment brings to mind the story of a jigsaw puzzle I read once. The more obvious side of the puzzle was the map of the world broken into many little pieces that fit uniquely. When a child (or someone else) finally succeeded to fit it together, everyone was amazed and wondered how he did it. He said that there was the picture of a man on the reverse side. Not everyone knows geography that well or where each country is. But who does not know where the nose ought to be and where the toe is? This is analogous of the Bible. Break it into its historical, poetical, prophetic, gospel, mystic and other aspects and fitting everything together becomes a staggering task. But take it all as one story, the story of God Who loved so much that He took on the form of that which He loved in order to make family out of His enemies and it all falls into place.

Of course, the various aspects must be respected for their individual contribution. But divorcing any aspect from the whole will result in a great deal of trouble and contention. This is generally how denominations formed and various warring philosophies were birthed. A person who finds a human hand sticking out the door can say anything, even logically correct things about it, that will ultimately lead to untrue assumptions about it unless they know the person to whom it's attached. The same way even very correct doctrines can become grievous errors once they have been divorced from the Person of Christ Jesus.

Consider reading the Bible a little differently now. Forget about false doctrines and which denominations and "men of God" birthed and propagated them for just a little bit and read the Bible for yourself. You'll probably be surprised to find Jesus all over the Bible pouring out His unmatched Love upon undeserving sinners and wicked enemies of His. You'll probably be able finally to apprehend hitherto obscure verses and passages. Hidden meanings and contradictory matters will begin to open up like sun-kissed flowers to your questing heart.

Grace be with you, my greatly beloved brothers and sisters.

Have you read the bible?
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 18, 2012
plaetton:

Have you read the bible?

Yes sir, I have.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by plaetton: 3:02pm On Aug 18, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Yes sir, I have.

All books, sequentially from a to z? or just flipping this chapter or that verese when it suites?
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 18, 2012
plaetton:

All books, sequentially from a to z? or just flipping this chapter or that verese when it suites?

Sir, I have read the Bible. Sequentially, from a to z, missing a few difficult letters of the alphabet. And selected books and letters when I had need to. Hardly ever to suit some whim of mine in the past and never currently. If you want to start an argument with me about the validity of the Bible, let me warn you ahead of time that I'm unavailable for a debate of any sort that touches upon Christ in any way.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Aug 18, 2012
@Plaetton, ...with you, that is.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by cyrexx: 3:29pm On Aug 18, 2012
Ihedinobi: @Plaetton, ...with you, that is.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by plaetton: 4:49pm On Aug 18, 2012
Ihedinobi: @Plaetton, ...with you, that is.

he he. Fear not.
My intention was not start a debate. I have honestly grown weary of debating with faith.

I just wanted to point out that bible is said to be the best selling book in the world, yet it is the least read book, especially by christians.
I am yet to meet a christian who has completely read the bible, sequentially from end to end.
I guess that make syou an exception.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by cyrexx: 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2012
i was raised a very religious fellow. i have read everything from cover to cover over the course of my religious life which spawned several years when i was quite younger. i strictly followed a read-the-bible-thru-in-a-year plan. i even used to teach in a church group.

besides i have many books and teaching tapes of great bible teachers like kenneth hagin, kenneth copeland, rick joyner, smith wigglesworth, derek prince etc etc. (yes, before you say it, im a bookworm, and my family complains about it).

so if i talk about the bible, im not talking like an ignorant fellow. i know the thing very well.

surprisingly i still read it now sometimes, but as a literature that contains some inspirational truth not the words of an omniscient being cos whoever the people that wrote those words, they are surely not omniscient at all, neither are they inspired by an omniscient being.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by plaetton: 5:11pm On Aug 18, 2012
yes, I think it is just common sense to read a book completely before one makes comments or to tries to
promote the book. It puzzles me that christians have refused to completely read the book sent them by god and yet they promote it with the greatest zeal.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Enigma(m): 5:50pm On Aug 18, 2012
cyrexx: i was raised a very religious fellow. i have read everything from cover to cover over the course of my religious life which spawned several years when i was quite younger. i strictly followed a read-the-bible-thru-in-a-year plan. i even used to teach in a church group.

besides i have many books and teaching tapes of great bible teachers like kenneth hagin, kenneth copeland, rick joyner, smith wigglesworth, derek prince etc etc. (yes, before you say it, im a bookworm, and my family complains about it).

so if i talk about the bible, im not talking like an ignorant fellow. i know the thing very well.

surprisingly i still read it now sometimes, but as a literature that contains some inspirational truth not the words of an omniscient being cos whoever the people that wrote those words, they are surely not omniscient at all, neither are they inspired by an omniscient being.

@cyrexx

Those two that I have highlighted in particular are far from being great Bible teachers; in fact they are responsible to a very great degree for the corruption of Christianity and the aberration that is known as the Prosperity "Gospel".

Of the others, the most tolerable is (the late) Derek Prince .

Let me make a recommendation and set a challenge to you.

Get a (or get out your old) Bible with the words of Jesus in red; read and study the words of Jesus only ---- on your own and try as much as possible to exclude any external influence on your thinking; then follow your own conclusions after doing the exercise. smiley

cool
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by CrazyMan(m): 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2012
plaetton:
he he. Fear not.
My intention was not start a debate. I have honestly grown weary of debating with faith.

I just wanted to point out that bible is said to be the best selling book in the world, yet it is the least read book, especially by christians.
I am yet to meet a christian who has completely read the bible, sequentially from end to end.
You actually make a point here.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Aug 18, 2012
I have read several books including the bible.The book that inspired me most is the one written by KAHLIL GIBRAN. especially the quotes on love which goes as follows;

When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
He threshes you to make you naked.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
He grinds you to whiteness.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.

But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover your unclothedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.
Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
For love is sufficient unto love.

When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, "I am in the heart of God."
And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by cyrexx: 7:29pm On Aug 18, 2012
Enigma:

@cyrexx

Those two that I have highlighted in particular are far from being great Bible teachers; in fact they are responsible to a very great degree for the corruption of Christianity and the aberration that is known as the Prosperity "Gospel".

Of the others, the most tolerable is (the late) Derek Prince .

Let me make a recommendation and set a challenge to you.

Get a (or get out your old) Bible with the words of Jesus in red; read and study the words of Jesus only ---- on your own and try as much as possible to exclude any external influence on your thinking; then follow your own conclusions after doing the exercise. smiley

cool

Sir Enigma,

thank you for admonition. i have read the gospels many times before, i even have the audio mp3 version of the whole bible on my laptop and some of it on my smartphone. i find it hard to see it as anything NOT written by ancient people who lived in the first century that we idolised to be the words of a creator.

but at your word, i will do as you told me now. i will just read the words of Jesus alone excluding everything else, maybe i'll get some perspective.

by the way, i sent a mail of appreciation to you sometimes ago, did you receive it.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Enigma(m): 7:32pm On Aug 18, 2012
@cyrexx

Coincidentally, I saw the mail for the first time only earlier today and i have replied. smiley
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 18, 2012
plaetton:

he he. Fear not.

If I may say so, yet again for that matter, it's hard to completely understand the character of a family by looking at the toddlers, though they do give indication of the family character. The best bet is usually the adult products of the family.

As I grew up I knew quite a number of people who claimed that they'd read the Bible from cover to cover too. It seemed that the odd situation was to not have done so.

Anyway, any true Christian will have a healthy appetite for the Word of God. When he's not reading the Bible, he may be seeking its meaning through focused thinking or discussions or just in the playout of things as he obeys the things he does understand in it. If you found such, you'd see evidence that faith in Jesus Christ is not blind, but practical and very proveable.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 18, 2012
plaetton:

he he. Fear not.

If I may say so, yet again for that matter, it's hard to completely understand the character of a family by looking at the toddlers, though they do give indication of the family character. The best bet is usually the adult products of the family.

As I grew up I knew quite a number of people who claimed that they'd read the Bible from cover to cover too. It seemed that the odd situation was to not have done so.

Anyway, any true Christian will have a healthy appetite for the Word of God. When he's not reading the Bible, he may be seeking its meaning through focused thinking or discussions or just in the playout of things as he obeys the things he does understand in it. If you found such, you'd see evidence that faith in Jesus Christ is not blind, but practical and very proveable.
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 8:04pm On Aug 18, 2012
cyrexx: i was raised a very religious fellow. i have read everything from cover to cover over the course of my religious life which spawned several years when i was quite younger. i strictly followed a read-the-bible-thru-in-a-year plan. i even used to teach in a church group.

Cyrexx, please believe me when I say that I do like you. All the arguments and debates might have set us at odds with each other, but I keep thinking that perhaps, just perhaps you really are on a quest. And if you are and will receive my help, I would be very glad to give it.

Everytime that I have debated, I hoped to get one thing through: that to believe in Jesus Christ, reason is invaluable. It is impossible to be a true Christian without knowing Whom it is that you're entrusting yourself to, what it is you're entrusting to them, their capability to cater for it, and why you are trusting them in the first place.

I wish I could explain it face to face. True Christianity is not an escape from life and reality, it's not an excuse to become mentally or intellectually lazy. If anything, it empowers a person to take on the challenges of life and live, really live. Not just exist or plod mindlessly through life, passing time. God! How can I explain this to you? I have had enough of the roundabout arguments, but I will gladly field any questions you want to ask about Christ and being a Christian. I will willingly explain to you everything that you demand explanation for. But will it do?

I assure you that God is not hiding Himself from you. It's just that He may be other than you think He is, so that when He comes you don't recognize Him. I also assure you that He wants you, far more than you could ever want Him yourself. And He's willing to take any test you throw at Him to prove Himself to you. But if the tests are insincere and you don't really want proof, even though He answers them, you will explain them away.

I'm sorry if you feel that I'm being arrogant and preaching at you. I really don't mean to be.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by truthislight: 8:09pm On Aug 18, 2012
plaetton: yes, I think it is just common sense to read a book completely before one makes comments or to tries to
promote the book. It puzzles me that christians have refused to completely read the book sent them by god and yet they promote it with the greatest zeal.

hmmmm!
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Ishilove: 9:37pm On Aug 18, 2012
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 18, 2012
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by MrAnony1(m): 6:53am On Aug 19, 2012
@Ihedinobi,
Dude, what's up with your phone? I tried your line twice yesterday. How far?
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 19, 2012
hmmm.. too much socializing on this thread today.. did I miss something?
Hailings to all of una..
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by truthislight: 11:08am On Aug 19, 2012
musKeeto: hmmm.. too much socializing on this thread today.. did I miss something?
Hailings to all of una..

your software needs upgrade
¥
¥
brain
Re: What The Bible Is. Attention: Christians. by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 19, 2012
truthislight:

your software needs upgrade
¥
¥
brain
today na my holy day... u get luck..

(1) (Reply)

Barrenness / "Believe It Or Not, I Used To Be A Christian." / Why Are These Things Peculiar With Christian Dominate Countries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.