Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,089 members, 7,821,768 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

"DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ??? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ??? (19247 Views)

Snake Na Oyibo Culture / "DURO" Na Yoruba Word Be Dis?? / What Is 'traditional' To The Igbo? | Gịnị Bụ Omẹnàlà Na Ányá Ńdí Ìgbò? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

"DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ??? by 19naia(m): 7:11pm On Aug 18, 2012
I always learned to use the word DURO in yoruba to mean wait or stop or stay...It occured to me years ago that it was similar to a word i heard on a program of jewish woman in hungary calling for someone to stop and she said "DARIO".It then occured to me that it has similar meaning connotation in english words like duration,durable,endure etc...For something to be durable,it has the power to stay through forces of change as in "staying power" is to endure....I have been learning spanish now and my dictionary says the word "DURO" is spanish and means tough and hard which also connote the meaning "staying power"..The common word for wait or stop in spanish is "esperar" for wait and "alto" for stop or halt...I consider that it is possible that DURO was a word added to yoruba by the Portugeuse whose language is very similar to spanish and are direct neighbours to SPAIN...But i began to question when i found relationship to the word "DURA" in yoruba as it is used to connote prayer, as when said "ADURA"=prayer.."GBADURA"=to carry prayer or to pray....I found a program in India where the priest was giving lecture on his religious culture and said that the very ancient word from their ancient text of thousands of years age ,for prayer,is "DUA" ,and that their Idea of prayer is not like the western world,but as a meditation where they "STOP" and "STAY" the body and the mind from the external world....That is the primordial essence of prayer,to STOP and STAY the mind and body and give to endure in the higher power of spiritual cultures....So i begin to believe "DURO","ENDURE","DURA/ADURA","DUA", are all related to the same original word and meaning.Every religion and culture begins prayer by first STOPPING AND STAYING and they do so for ENDURANCE in this often HARD/TOUGH world...I dont think its coincidence that the meaning of hard and tough in spanish is "DURO" or that to pray as building of strength and endurace is called "ADURA" in yoruba or "DUA" in hindu language or that to stop and stay or wait is "DURO" in yoruba....I must find a portuguese meaning of DURO and if it is the same as yoruba DURO,then i will accept that it was brought by portugeuse...If its not the same meaning,then i will consider it a word from africa that migratd thousands of years ago to find its place in India and Europe...Maybe some one here has portuguese language reference for the word

1 Like

Re: "DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ??? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:46am On May 08, 2013
Duro is a word originated from Yorubaland.
Languages atimes are similar in spelling or meaning. That's the reason why 'Adura & Dua' look alike.
-------------------
Last Bullet: No Portuguese, Spanish or Arabs ever influenced Yoruba Language. Get that.
Re: "DURO" Na Yoruba Be Dis ??? by Abagworo(m): 11:10am On May 08, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Duro is a word originated from Yorubaland.
Languages atimes are similar in spelling or meaning. That's the reason why 'Adura & Dua' look alike.
-------------------
Last Bullet: No Portuguese, Spanish or Arabs ever influenced Yoruba Language. Get that.

"Duro" is also an Igbo word for "sit" or "stay" but wait is "chere". "Duro ali" literally means "sit down" .

(1) (Reply)

Etsu Nupe Marks Birthday Today Ahead Of 20th Anniversary On Throne This Weekend / Emir Sanusi Celebrates His 55th Birthday / Oba Of Benin, Erediauwa's Coronation Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.