Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran (3838 Views)

Documentary: Sunnis In Iran (how Sunni Muslims Live In A Shiite Muslim Country?) / Iran Builds North-Korea's First Mosque / Islamic Cleric Bans Women From Touching 'pen.is-shaped' Foods. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 10:29am On Aug 22, 2012
Iran’s decision to forbid women from studying dozens of subjects including nuclear physics and oil engineering threatens to wipe out one of the last vestiges of gender equality in the country, a Nobel Peace laureate said

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-21/iran-barring-women-from-atomic-oil-fields-draws-rebuke.html

www.nairaland.com/attachments/796508_iran_pnge2bf2bd7dc526785ad38d273686953fe
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by LagosShia: 11:17am On Aug 22, 2012
MacDaddy01: Iran’s decision to forbid women from studying dozens of subjects including nuclear physics and oil engineering threatens to wipe out one of the last vestiges of gender equality in the country, a Nobel Peace laureate said

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-21/iran-barring-women-from-atomic-oil-fields-draws-rebuke.html

www.nairaland.com/attachments/796508_iran_pnge2bf2bd7dc526785ad38d273686953fe

even the critics and opponents of the Islamic Republic of Iran do acknowledge in admiration the fact that Iran is one of few countries in the world where females clearly outnumber males as a trend in the education sector in Iran,particular in universities.the female literacy rate in Iran is very high.

the iranian government should know best what is good for its interests.they most likely want more male presence and participation in certain fields for reasons know to them best.excluding women from fields like oil engineering or nuclear physics should have good enough reasons to them.possibly employers in those field prefer to employ males than females and females end up not channeling their acquired knowledge in those fields.so females can have more roles in medicine,education and other important fields the country as a whole can benefit from.i think i would wait for clarification from the iranian government to be issued to the press before i go on speculating.

however,it is the habit of the western zionist media to make a big issue out of everything the word "Iran" is present in.they are simply detractors/haters of the Islamic Republic.

1 Like

Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 11:35am On Aug 22, 2012
LagosShia:

even the critics and opponents of the Islamic Republic of Iran do acknowledge in admiration the fact that Iran is one of few countries in the world where females clearly outnumber males as a trend in the education sector in Iran,particular in universities.the female literacy rate in Iran is very high.

Compared to which countries? Keep lying!
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 11:59am On Aug 22, 2012
In iranian busses the women have to use the backseats, the few men are sitting seperated in the front part.
That is not religion but culture. A culture that reaches from christian South-Italy, over Greece, Turkey to Iran and even further.

I cannot accept the way they treat their women over there.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 12:07pm On Aug 22, 2012
Felix_L: In iranian busses the women have to use the backseats, the few men are sitting seperated in the front part.
That is not religion but culture. A culture that reaches from christian South-Italy, over Greece, Turkey to Iran and even further.

Agreed. I am attacking the country. LagosShia likes Iran too much and I am trying to show him the perversion of islam and commonsense done by his country!
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 12:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
Iranians are also great ppl. I love their accent. My country is full with them. Iranian Government managed to get rid of their intellectual young generation.

(But sometimes they fail to behave in our busses wink)
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 3:05pm On Aug 22, 2012

Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 3:26pm On Aug 22, 2012
Felix_L: Taken from local newspaper
http://www.zeit.de/politik/ausland/2012-08/hochschule-iran-frauen

What does the picture prove?
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by BahPulo(f): 3:30pm On Aug 22, 2012
LagosShia:

the iranian government should know best what is good for its interests.they most likely want more male presence and participation in certain fields for reasons know to them best.excluding women from fields like oil engineering or nuclear physics should have good enough reasons to them.possibly employers in those field prefer to employ males than females and females end up not channeling their acquired knowledge in those fields.so females can have more roles in medicine,education and other important fields the country as a whole can benefit from.i think i would wait for clarification from the iranian government to be issued to the press before i go on speculating.

however,it is the habit of the western zionist media to make a big issue out of everything the word "Iran" is present in.they are simply detractors/haters of the Islamic Republic.

You Know, you are being biased here. I could see your point if this was some sorts of affirmative actions to increase males presence in these field but it's not. if this ban is true what they are trying to do is to controle women. after all it's not unislamic to study these subjects. I am so tired of people mixing their culture with Islam. If they want to do that they should do so without involving Islam in it please .
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by BahPulo(f): 3:38pm On Aug 22, 2012
Felix_L: In iranian busses the women have to use the backseats , the few men are sitting seperated in the front part.

You find this in many cultures that dislike male and female mixing. Even in NYC you see such buses, women @ the back & male in front. It has nothing to do with the way they treat their women. It's funny it's always those outside the line that criticize. Unless someone from these cultures comes out and complain about their situation, the rest of us should just mind our business
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 3:46pm On Aug 22, 2012
MacDaddy01:

What does the picture prove?

Nothing. It shows. Do you think these girls like how they have to dress? They have no choice.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 3:59pm On Aug 22, 2012
BahPulo:

You find this in many cultures that dislike male and female mixing. Even in NYC you see such buses, women @ the back & male in front. It has nothing to do with the way they treat their women. It's funny it's always those outside the line that criticize. Unless someone from these cultures comes out and complain about their situation, the rest of us should just mind our business

Am I outside? I lived with an iranian for about 1 year. Once when we had drink he started to grab and bother girls in tramway. When my daughter showed up from N.Y. he welcomed her in undies. When he got visited by iranian girl I was not even allowed to talk with her. My ex has had an iranian bf, so my older daughter has a half-iranian sister. Always trouble about how to bring children up.
Have been invited to iran several times but refused to go there. Dont like to go anywhere where my women ar regarded as an easy to chase free game and I myself have to look for russian whorelets.

Ok, these are personal experiences, perhaps not guilty in general. For me it is enough.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by BahPulo(f): 4:31pm On Aug 22, 2012
Felix_L:

Am I outside? I lived with an iranian for about 1 year. Once when we had drink he started to grab and bother girls in tramway. When my daughter showed up from N.Y. he welcomed her in undies. When he got visited by iranian girl I was not even allowed to talk with her. My ex has had an iranian bf, so my older daughter has a half-iranian sister. Always trouble about how to bring children up.
Have been invited to iran several times but refused to go there. Dont like to go anywhere where my women ar regarded as an easy to chase free game and I myself have to look for russian whorelets.

Ok, these are personal experiences, perhaps not guilty in general. For me it is enough.

Yes you are an outsider so am I. your examples are personal like you rightly said. Iran to me is just some place that gets mentioned a lot yet I know very little about it and I am probably not curious to know it. Your friend grabbing other females and not allowing you to talk to his iranian gf does not surprise at all most of these cultures have zero respect for women outside of their own circle. the way of solving this is to protect your own too. But you can not say just because you have had these experiences you know for sur what is going on in their society
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by BahPulo(f): 4:39pm On Aug 22, 2012
Felix_L:

Nothing. It shows. Do you think these girls like how they have to dress? They have no choice .

You see what I mean you don't know that. besides this is a school that probably has its own dress code you don't have to like but you must wear if you're going to attend. Something tells me you think any woman who does not wonder around jeans, short skirts, and her hair fully displayed is being controlled right? if that's the case you're wrong, because most women in hijab do it out of faith.

1 Like

Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 5:03pm On Aug 22, 2012
BahPulo:

You see what I mean you don't know that. besides this is a school that probably has its own dress code you don't have to like but you must wear if you're going to attend. Something tells me you think any woman who does not wonder around jeans, short skirts, and her hair fully displayed is being controlled right? if that's the case you're wrong, because most women in hijab do it out of faith.

No, I know. I have seen a documentation made in Austria made by an iranian woman. She definitely is complaining. The dress code is for females only.
Islamic women should decide themselves how to dress. At my place if they wear veils they usually chose a good looking one.
And no, I even dont like it when women are exposing their secundary gender attributes in the open to much.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 5:06pm On Aug 22, 2012
BahPulo:

You are lying. New York does not segregate women and men in buses. Gerrout
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by vedaxcool(m): 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2012
My take on this; the Iranian govt. Misfired once again, the idea is repulsive and makes the Iranian govt. Look more or less communist in form, the idea that a govt. Can by fiat compel citizens is quite anti - citizen as it it could have made incentive or create awareness about the employment situation surrounding each field of endeavor than compelling females to jump ship as it were, but I think the Nobel lauret is exergerating the matter by making it men vs women, I think it is more of not accommodating the needs of women and doing it in such a way that is very unintelligent in every respect, they could have consider enforcing quotas on comapnies for female employment etc but rather like the article indicated a clerical offensive against women needs in Iran, to crown it on, Ahmedinejad powers is being eroded by the millionaire clerics of Iran who are only interested in power tussles with elected officials! Funny to see lagosshia waiting for the Iranian regime to explain (after the universities have clarified their reasons) but hardly would u see such wait when it comes from undesirable regimes one wonders when people will live straight?
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 5:52pm On Aug 22, 2012
Here is the link to the movie I mentioned. Probably i was messing up something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ22VyjJ6n8

Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by BahPulo(f): 7:58pm On Aug 22, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You are lying. New York does not segregate women and men in buses. Gerrout

Look here Don't you ever address me again as you can see I've never addressed you with all your annoying and silly points you display daily in this forum . So let it be the first and the last time you say I am lying understood? espece de quoi.... I live in nyc and happen to live around hasidic jews who operate their own gender segregated public buses in brooklyn if you don't know ask respectfully and you'll be educated. I am not here to exchange words with people like you so do me a favor and ignore me. thank very much
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by BahPulo(f): 8:04pm On Aug 22, 2012
vedaxcool: My take on this; the Iranian govt. Misfired once again, the idea is repulsive and makes the Iranian govt. Look more or less communist in form, the idea that a govt. Can by fiat compel citizens is quite anti - citizen as it it could have made incentive or create awareness about the employment situation surrounding each field of endeavor than compelling females to jump ship as it were, but I think the Nobel lauret is exergerating the matter by making it men vs women, I think it is more of not accommodating the needs of women and doing it in such a way that is very unintelligent in every respect, they could have consider enforcing quotas on comapnies for female employment etc but rather like the article indicated a clerical offensive against women needs in Iran, to crown it on, Ahmedinejad powers is being eroded by the millionaire clerics of Iran who are only interested in power tussles with elected officials! Funny to see lagosshia waiting for the Iranian regime to explain (after the universities have clarified their reasons) but hardly would u see such wait when it comes from undesirable regimes one wonders when people will live straight?

exactly Iran seems more like a comi regime than an Islamic state, I just wish they'll come out and say it instead of dragging Islam name in the mudd same goes for all those fanatics countries and people. they want to increase male in these field let them put affirmative policies that favor them and leave women who choose these field alone.

1 Like

Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 8:04pm On Aug 22, 2012
BahPulo:

Look here Don't you ever address me again as you can see I've never addressed you with all your annoying and silly points you display daily in this forum . So let it be the first and the last time you say I am lying understood? espece de quoi.... I live in nyc and happen to live around hasidic jews who operate their own gender segregated public buses in brooklyn if you don't know ask respectfully and you'll be educated. I am not here to exchange words with people like you so do me a favor and ignore me. thank very much

1)You were lying that it is culture in NYC and now you have turned it back to religion (Judaism)
2) What they were doing was illegal http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/new-york-authorities-threaten-to-shut-down-segregated-bus-run-by-orthodox-jews-1.391390
3) Why dont you like me? But you like my thread, eh? cool
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by BahPulo(f): 8:12pm On Aug 22, 2012
Felix_L:

No, I know. I have seen a documentation made in Austria made by an iranian woman. She definitely is complaining. The dress code is for females only.
Islamic women should decide themselves how to dress. At my place if they wear veils they usually chose a good looking one.
And no, I even dont like it when women are exposing their secundary gender attributes in the open to much.

like I said earlier I know very little about Iran. I myself I am not a fan of black robe and hijab but can't i assume that they are oppressed because of it? no. in my country those who have the hijab wear colorful ones too and their hijab does not take away anything from them.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 8:47pm On Aug 22, 2012
sorry BahPulo, i dont want to offend you with the following picture.
These women are protesting against the french anti-burqua law.
Please dont beat me but havent you to admit that black robe and hijab can also look good?
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by maclatunji: 8:59am On Aug 23, 2012
^If I see you post such pictures again sir, you will get banned.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 10:11am On Aug 23, 2012
maclatunji: ^If I see you post such pictures again sir, you will get banned.

If you ask Maclatunji why the picture can get you banned, he will ban you as well.

This censorship is a joke. What possible reason could you use to justify not putting up the picture?
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by LagosShia: 12:03pm On Aug 23, 2012
next time when a western pro-zionist media outlet makes any statement about Iran,the best thing to do is to know the truth.it has being revealed by another western media outlet that in fact the iranian government or the ministry of education in Iran did not ban women from some university courses.the decision to exclude women from particular courses in university was taken by individual univerisities.it was not a government decision at all.in other words,if a female wants to study nuclear physics in university A,and she cannot,she can go to university B and still study it there.

the western media have gone as far as reporting that Iran has banned women from universities.that was how the UK telegraph newspaper framed the story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/9487761/Anger-as-Iran-bans-women-from-universities.html

other outlets reported Iran has banned women from courses.they frame up all these stories based on decisions taken by individual universities.such decision is a curricular or academic decision that can be reversed the following year or the government itself can interfere to stop it,or female students can go to court.but in order to spread propaganda,blackmail,hate and lies against Iran and to demonize Iran,the western media have framed different stories attributing the decision to the Iranian government.ofcourse in the end this is all aimed at tarnishing the image of Islam.they forget that literacy rate of females in Iran is very high and Iran is a scientifically,technologically and Islamically progressive country.

next time you hear anything about Iran in western media,do not believe! that is the moral of the story.

Did Iran Really Just Ban Women From Universities?

As college students in the United States head back to school, their female classmates in Iran are discovering that some women won't be able to register for classes in their desired fields or even attend certain universities.

If you are like me and believe in the power of education, the thought of women being denied the right to learn is frightening.

However, having often gone back and forth between Iran and the United States, I also know this move is not representative of Iran's higher education system. My own female cousins in Iran have studied advanced sciences and mathematics at the country's top institutions.

In a nation that stands out in the region as committed to women's education, it is understandable why this announcement that "Iran Bans Women From Universities" seems odd.

The Islamic Republic of Iran has one of the highest female to male education ratios in the world.

Indeed, 36 Iranian institutions of higher learning are limiting the fields to which female students may enroll. But it is important to note that the decision to ban women from certain fields is an individual, university-level decision, not being imposed upon women by the government.

While I agree banning women from any field of study sets a dangerous precedent, in 2011 President Ahmadinejad actually halted plans by the Ministry of Science and Health to segregate university classes based on gender.

The 1979 Islamic revolution allowed previously sheltered religious women to challenge oppressive systems by developing and relying upon an interpretation of Islam that facilitated women's participation in public spaces, which today is often called Islamic feminism.

As Alex Shams notes, if the university and the workplace are officially "Islamic" then it's much harder for conservative parents, university administrators or government officials to tell a woman she can't study or work.

The bonds of patriarchy are hard to break free. Iran's Nobel Peace laureate, Shirin Ebadi, is right when she says that the women's movement for improved rights is under threat but misleading and sensationalized headlines don't help the cause either.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-pourahmadi/iran-ban-university-women_b_1821611.html

Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 12:26pm On Aug 23, 2012
LagosShia: next time when a western pro-zionist media outlet makes any statement about Iran,the best thing to do is to know the truth.it has being revealed by another western media outlet that in fact the iranian government or the ministry of education in Iran did not ban women from some university courses.the decision to exclude women from particular courses in university was taken by individual univerisities.it was not a government decision at all.in other words,if a female wants to study nuclear physics in university A,and she cannot,she can go to university B and still study it there.

the western media have gone as far as reporting that Iran has banned women from universities.that was how the UK telegraph newspaper framed the story:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/9487761/Anger-as-Iran-bans-women-from-universities.html

other outlets reported Iran has banned women from courses.they frame up all these stories based on decisions taken by individual universities.such decision is a curricular or academic decision that can be reversed the following year or the government itself can interfere to stop it,or female students can go to court.but in order to spread propaganda,blackmail,hate and lies against Iran and to demonize Iran,the western media have framed different stories attributing the decision to the Iranian government.ofcourse in the end this is all aimed at tarnishing the image of Islam.they forget that literacy rate of females in Iran is very high and Iran is a scientifically,technologically and Islamically progressive country.

next time you hear anything about Iran in western media,do not believe! that is the moral of the story.

Sharaap! Stop your pro-Iranian propaganda

-Iran is not the highest for female literacy in the world. So many countries come before it
http://www.mrdowling.com/800literacyfemale.html

-Your apologist article doesnt deny that some universities in Iran are barring women from courses. This would cause an uproar in the west if one, just one university barred women from just one course! So, keep defending this nonsense.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by vedaxcool(m): 12:56pm On Aug 23, 2012
The new policy has also been criticised by Iranian
parliamentarians, who summoned the deputy
science and higher education minister to explain.
However, the science and higher education minister,
Kamran Daneshjoo, dismissed the controversy,
saying that 90% of degrees remain open to both
sexes and that single-gender courses were needed to
create "balance".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/
middleeast/iran/9487761/Anger-as-Iran-bans-
women-from-universities.html

The above shows govt. Supports for the policy, but let's assume everything is a lie and somehow it is the university's policy, common sense tells us this are state owned varsities hence govt could intervene in this policy mishap yet the same govt has done next to nothing in stoping an unjust policy! Leaving one to wonder whether if a policy from the university was to forbid workers from paying khumus would the clerical establishment not riot to stop such grave "injustice"? Or do Iranian. Varsities now have legislative powers that is final and irreversible? The regime is begining to iritate it's own people who now find it difficult eating normal staples such as chicken, this new foolery won't aid their credibility at home anymore than their deciets over Syria issues etc.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by MacDaddy01: 1:01pm On Aug 23, 2012
vedaxcool: The new policy has also been criticised by Iranian
create "balance".

The above shows govt. Supports for the policy, but let's assume everything is a lie and somehow it is the university's policy, common sense tells us this are state owned varsities hence govt could intervene in this policy mishap yet the same govt has done next to nothing in stoping an unjust policy! Leaving one to wonder whether if a policy from the university was to forbid workers from paying khumus would the clerical establishment not riot to stop such grave "injustice"? Or do Iranian. Varsities now have legislative powers that is final and irreversible? The regime is begining to iritate it's own people who now find it difficult eating normal staples such as chicken, this new foolery won't aid their credibility at home anymore than their deciets over Syria issues etc.

This is why i love Vedaxcool, he delivers smackdowns when you are talking nonsense on islam! grin grin grin.

Unfortunately, he also thinks that I talk nonsense about islam (but I always counter his smackdowns)
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by LagosShia: 1:07pm On Aug 23, 2012
vedaxcool: The new policy has also been criticised by Iranian
create "balance".

do you know the parliamentarians can make a vote of no confidence on that minister and his deputy and remove them? it is obvious it was not a government decision.the deputy minister is only shielding the universities.the decision did not come from the ministry itself.

so you got to wait and see how long it would take before the Iranian government and presidency ask universities to reverse the decision.in fact the universities themselves are the ones to reverse the decision and not the government.it was a university decision and the government and parliament can only exert pressure.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by LagosShia: 1:10pm On Aug 23, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Sharaap! Stop your pro-Iranian propaganda

-Iran is not the highest for female literacy in the world. So many countries come before it
http://www.mrdowling.com/800literacyfemale.html

one of the highest is not the same as the highest.learn how to read.
Re: Iran Bars Women From Dozens Of Subjects In Iran by FelixL(m): 2:55pm On Aug 23, 2012
maclatunji: ^If I see you post such pictures again sir, you will get banned.
Sorry. Was late last night and I was not aware were I had actually been. (Islam for Muslims)

Did some homework for you.

Translated this with my poor english from my favorite newspaper
Shirin Ebadi, former first judge in Iran:
We have had an unversity subject called women's studies. It was about possibilties of development of women. This subject was now renamed in 'Studies of rights of women in Islam' and its contents were changed completely. The subject is now only about the role of women as mother and disregards all other social roles.
The number of educated women will decrease rapidly and many will be forced to disappear from the open. Government thinks, it can get rid of a large number of opponents by this way. But I am sure, the women will fight against with strenght.
Government fights with violence against any critical voice. Any protest is answered by jail and torture. That is why ppl are to scared to critize in the open. But in internet the protest is articulated clearly.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whether You're Voting Or Not, Put Your Trust In Allah! / Confusion: Who Was The First Muslim ? / Adam Abdullah Al-iloriy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.