Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,711 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Please Explain Genotype AA - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Explain Genotype AA (128487 Views)

Help! His Genotype Is AA And His Wife's Genotype Is AS But Their Daughter is SS / Those With Blood Group 0+ And Genotype AA Show Yourself Here / Please Explain What Genotype AC Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 3:30am On Dec 29, 2007
Hey can anyone tell me what it means to have genotype AA? What is the relevance and such? What does it mean for me or if I have kids later? Does it make a differnce (concerning kids) if the dad is AA and I am not or vice ver sa?

1 Like

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by ifyalways(f): 6:38pm On Dec 29, 2007
genotype is a broad topic to treat but i would say the much i know.
genotype Aa simply means homozygous dominant.non hereditary factors,variation and genotype generally determine/contribute to ones Phenotype.an individual genotype for a particular gene is the set of alleles it posseses.alleles are sequences that code the gene.

its quite broad,i just hope this would help.
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by ifyalways(f): 3:36pm On Dec 30, 2007
for your kids.
if you and your hubby are both Aa,then you wud have Aa kids.
if you are As and your hubby is Aa,chances are that you might have 3 Aa kids + 1 As kid out of every 4 children you have.
if you are As and your hubby As,chances are that you wud have 1 As kid and 3 Ss kids.
if you are Ss and your hubby Ss,then all the kids wud definitely be Ss.

so its always advisable for As individuals to marry Aa's.
Ss should stick to Aa's too.
Aa's can marry both As and Ss.

9 Likes

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by mellow(m): 3:39pm On Dec 30, 2007
Ify what did you study? Your anology is accurately accurate[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by MrInfo1(m): 3:40pm On Dec 30, 2007
Ask google  grin @ mellow
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by ifyalways(f): 3:42pm On Dec 30, 2007
infobaba:

Ask google grin @ mellow
yes ,that wud help too.
@ poster,goggle it for more info.

@mellow am still in school. tongue
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by MrInfo1(m): 3:46pm On Dec 30, 2007
@ ifyalways

ur mis quoting me grin

@ mellow

Ask google what did ifyalways study kiss
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 30, 2007
I always thought the ABO system described blood groups and not genotypes.
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by mellow(m): 3:55pm On Dec 30, 2007
infobaba:

@ ifyalways

your mis quoting me grin

@ mellow

Ask google what did ifyalways study kiss

Why you de allow jealousy de change your colour naw? ehen?[/color][color=#990000]

ifyalways:

yes ,that would help too.
@ poster,goggle it for more info.

@mellow am still in school. tongue

So this brings me to my next question: What are you studying?
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by ifyalways(f): 4:11pm On Dec 30, 2007
davidylan:

I always thought the ABO system described blood groups and not genotypes.
ofcos the ABO system and antigens describe the blood groups .
traits,variations, are passed from parents to offsprings via genes hence genotype
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 11:59pm On Dec 30, 2007
Thanx for the info. It is still as confusing as when I looked it up online initally. I meant genotype AA, What is the difference between A and S? and I meant how would it affect children as far as traits go and passing on the family history of like heart disease or diabetes.
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 12:05am On Dec 31, 2007
SS is simply an adaptation to malaria which is why only blacks carry the gene.
It results from a single amino acid mutation in the heamoglobin gene such that red cells of SS patients are sickle shaped and have a lifespan half that of normal (AA) individuals.

Parents heterozygous for the S genotype (AS) are merely carriers and do not have the disease but will pass the gene to at least 25% of their offspring. It is a recessive gene as you need 2 defective alleles to get the disease (SS).
Two heterozygous parents (AS) will produce at least 1 in 4 chidren with the disease.

Since red cells are not concave like normal cells, they sometimes clog tiny capillaries giving rise to the severe pain and anemia that patients sometimes suffer (crises).

It has nothing to do with heart disease or diabetes.

1 Like

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 1:02am On Dec 31, 2007
Thanks davidylan, that has been the most helpful so far. How is malaria related to AA, what about typhoid?
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by naijaking1: 4:55am On Dec 31, 2007
As a public health service, I'll explain genotype AA for you. See the attached picture freely obtained from Wikip. To understand it in relation to your question, simply substitute R for A, r for S, so RR=AA, Rr=AS, rr=SS. If you understand it then you would appreciate what Davidlyn and Ifyalways were saying above, except that:

ifyalways:

for your kids.
if you and your hubby are both Aa,then you would have Aa kids.
if you are As and your hubby is Aa,chances are that you might have 3 Aa kids + 1 As kid out of every 4 children you have.
[b]if you are As and your hubby As,chances are that you would have 1 As kid and 3 Ss kids.[/b]if you are Ss and your hubby Ss,then all the kids would definitely be Ss.

these highlighted projections are wrong. Using the image, can you work out the correct answers?

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by ifyalways(f): 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2007
naijaking1:

As a public health service, I'll explain genotype AA for you. See the attached picture freely obtained from Wikip. To understand it in relation to your question, simply substitute R for A, r for S, so RR=AA, Rr=AS, rr=SS. If you understand it then you would appreciate what Davidlyn and Ifyalways were saying above, except that:

these highlighted projections are wrong. Using the image, can you work out the correct answers?

thanks a million for the correction and the attachments.let me see here:

if you and your hubby are As,you wud be having 1 Aa,2 As and 1 Ss kids out of every 4 kids.
if you are Aa and your hubby is As,then you should expect,2 Aa kids,2 As kids out of every 4 kids.
As are healthy carriers.
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 31, 2007
kattrina:

Thanks davidylan, that has been the most helpful so far. How is malaria related to AA, what about typhoid?

The protozoan, plasmodium, that causes malaria acts by destroying red cells in the body. That is why most malaria symptoms involve some anemia and general body weakness  . . .
SS genotype evolved as a way to beat malaria. Since red cells from SS patients are destroyed much more rapidly than in AA (normal) individuals, theoretically they stand a better chance of not developing malaria as the red cells carrying the vector are quickly destroyed.

typhoid is very different from malaria as it is a bacterial infection, it has nothing to do with genotype and can be effectively treated with a course of antibiotics.

Since you are white, it is 100% certain that you do not carry the S gene. None of your children will be turn out to be SS so you have nothing to worry about even if your husband is AS. However if he is SS . . . you have to keep in mind that they have a much shorter lifespan than normal individuals.

If you are AA, you are most susceptible to malaria . . . easiest way to combat this is to ensure you take a course of anti-malarial prophylaxis before coming to malaria endemic areas (aka subsaharan Africa which Nigeria happens to fall within). Ask your doctor, they should be able to get some for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 10:21am On Jan 01, 2008
Davidylan~ Thank you, that is the information I was after. I was curious because my fiance (Nigerian) currently has malaria AND typhoid, and he said that the doc told him he was genotype AA. And all he knew was that it had something to do with blood. So I was just wanted to know the significance of it and why the doc would test for that, but your post answer that. Thanks again.

And thanks to everyone who helped me out I really appreciate it!!!!! cheesy
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by reindeer: 1:29am On Jan 02, 2008
well there, having a genotype AA only means that you have the A gene from both parents and doesnt particularly give you any health risks, your kids have nothing to fear really as long as they observe basic rules of health. If you had the S gene, now there may be issues to talk about, when it comes to marriage, feel free and marry anyone, the worst that could happen is you kid(s) having another gene alongside the A gene. The A gene is the 'normal' adult hemoglobin type and the S,C E and other genes are abnormailties that arose due to envoronmental stresses on the hemoglobin chain, i hope i have spoken english so far, if you have any further questions feel free to post them , ill reply, and i wont charge you! afterall its nairaland.
talk to the deer. grin

1 Like

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by forkinsonlolo(m): 3:39pm On Oct 07, 2010
na wa oh, am AS oh, so i need to shine ma eye for AA cry, what if the guy lied to me,,, na wa oh
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by forkinsonlolo(m): 3:41pm On Oct 07, 2010
na wa oh, am AS oh, so i need to shine ma eye for AA cry, what if the gurl lie to me that shes AA,,, na wa oh
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by innersecret(f): 5:55pm On Mar 09, 2013
Narialand users,u guys rock always learning new things.well am AA and am very happy for lot of people are sad because of their genotype,my gentle men and ladies take note for its very important to ur generation yet unborn.love is important but have in mind healthy kids are also very important too.

1 Like

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by sage2(m): 5:26pm On Jun 24, 2013
innersecret: Narialand users,u guys rock always learning new things.well am AA and am very happy for lot of people are sad because of their genotype,my gentle men and ladies take note for its very important to ur generation yet unborn.love is important but have in mind healthy kids are also very important too.

I am also AA. Now, would you marry me?

1 Like

Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by freeman122(m): 8:11pm On Dec 30, 2014
Its nice to be AA.
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2014
ifyalways:
for your kids.
if you are As and your hubby As,chances are that you wud have 1 As kid and 3 Ss kids.

WRONG
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 30, 2014
kattrina:

Any illness which is coded in DNR could be transferred to the child. depends on disease. now they say that most likely cancer is in DNR as well however if it would be than we would have cure for it. lets say it is. so if your both parents carry the cancer gene (Aa) you could be a child who will have cancer (aa). your 2 siblings could be cancer gene carriers (Aa) and 1 sibling will be healthy (AA). it is with all inheritable diseases same aspect.
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by CallMeNJay: 9:23pm On Jan 01, 2017
Interesting
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by GuDErboY(m): 11:21pm On Jan 01, 2017
ifyalways:
for your kids.

wow!!! Nyc. what's your discipline please?
Re: Please Explain Genotype AA by Marisol911(f): 6:20pm On May 04, 2017
freeman122:
Its nice to be AA.
its nice but not nice when i always fall sick for malaria

(1) (Reply)

After Child Birth, How Long Should A Woman Stay Before Having Sex? / Say NO To Casual Sex!!! WARNING VERY Graphic pix!!! / Help!!! My Husband Is A One Minute Man, I Am Frustrated!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.