Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,202 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Your Best World Cup Ever - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Your Best World Cup Ever (2031 Views)

Africa's Best World Cup Team / The Ivory Coast Has The Best World Cup Uniforms: Hands Down / Africa's Best World Cup Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by Don1DeMaco: 10:03am On Jan 04, 2008
davidif:

@don1demaco
Even though i am an avid soccer fan, i actually have a life and i have much better things to do like taking care of business, not going round scouring over old tapes of previous world cups watching people who don't know i exist. Also, i watch other sports like basketball or the NFL during my free time so soccer is not my only sport. By the way, i have my own religion and its called Christianity and football can't even compare to that.

im not just a footbal fan, i kinda see myself as a die hard sports fan, but football by far stands out.

ive seen ever grandslam final live from 1997, watch golf majors, F1, cricket, athletics b4 drugs took over, every major boxing bout what have u

seen old tapes of mike tyson, and ali's fights, watch highlights and documentaries on sports personalities, so pls dont be narrow minded

and think about it i should be doing ok to be able to afford dis habit, cos na only person wey get money dey get habit including person wey dey smoke N5 cigar.

so yes i have a life outside sports and football but i try to manage my time to get the max satisfaction like now im on nairaland, so variety is the spice of life my bros and like i said b4 for some football is not just a sport, passion but a religion stick to whatever u believe in
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by Olisehua: 10:49am On Jan 04, 2008
FRANCE 98

1. FRANCE (ZIDANE, THURAM, BLANC, )
2. BRASIL (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, )
3. CROATIA (Suker (the best scorrer), Boban, Bilic, )

and NIGERIA (win vs Spain was amazing)
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by akinalabi(m): 2:45pm On Jan 04, 2008
dayokanu:

Argentina- Maradona, Cannigia, Batistuta, e.t.c

Point of correction. Batistuta was not there.

He hadn't made his debut then. Maybe you
wanted to talk about Sergio Batista.
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by dayokanu(m): 3:06pm On Jan 04, 2008
@akinalabi,
My bad I mean the guy in number 2 shirt for Argentina he was mainly on the bench. Sergio Batista
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by akinalabi(m): 3:16pm On Jan 04, 2008
And I find it strange you saw the 1990 world cup
as exciting.

Okay, maybe because the team you support
won it.

To me it was a boring, boring, world cup.
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by dayokanu(m): 4:32pm On Jan 04, 2008
That was the Ultimate gathering of stars every country was at their best germany, Italy, Argentina, cameroun, Holland, even England that is normally crappy

Brazil was non existent though
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by toshmann(m): 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2008
mexico '70 and mexico '86

i was too young to know what was going on in '86, i was not born by '70, but i've watched the videos of all the world cups from I938. these two world cups brought out the best raw skills from arguably the best players that graced the game last century. . . . pele(70) and maradona(86).

you cant beat the raw skills those world cups offered.

italia 90 was the worst tongue least number of goals, Ist time the final had only I goal and it was a penalty. tongue
defensive teans went far ( argentina, italy england) germany was also a defensive team but they also scored many goals,

but german football was not so exciting like brasil of I970 or argentina of I986

mexico 70/86 the best. cool
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by lailai2(m): 1:52am On Jan 05, 2008
i wonder why big players messed up in the last world cup
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by Mustay(m): 8:24am On Jan 05, 2008
yeah

FRANCE 98 is it! cool
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by dayokanu(m): 10:02am On Jan 05, 2008
I think Italia 90 marked the cross over from olden days football to modern football people were more tactically aware
The Dutch trio, The German Machines, Argies, Cameroun
Few goals finals are now coming to stay. The final of tournament should have a low margin for error so scoring many goals is not really good for me. Gone were the days of 5-2 or 4-1 finals US 94 final ended 0-0, 2 evenly matched teams. Even 2006 world cup. Unless the final was not evenly matched. Now teams play with more tactics you now see 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 3-6-1. Gone were the days of Samba when the Brazilian defender could dribble everybody. now Brazil is adopting some European tactic now we see Rugged Brazilians like Dunga, Emerson, Gilberto, e.t.c
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by Jackal(m): 12:28pm On Jan 05, 2008
MEXICO 86 stands out as the most exciting WORLD CUP ever. . . .
The coverage was just OMG . . . . .
It is non-arguably the most well-organised football tournament in the last century . . .
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by akinalabi(m): 2:08pm On Jan 05, 2008
@ dayokanu

You found Italia 90 exciting because the team you
support won it. Just the way most Nigerians found
the soccer games of Atlanta 96 the best ever even
though Seoul 88 beats it hands down.

The dutch trio did not live to their hype, Italy expected
Vialli to shine but it was a reserve player, Salvatore
Schillaci that stole the show.

The biggest entertainers, Brazil were no where to
be found.

The Argies, despite getting to the finals were an
average side. Maradona and 10 robots. It wasn't
even Maradona's best world cup ever.

There were few goals.

Low/no goals is not good for football. There can
never be an exciting goaless draw. When you name
the greatest football matches in history, none of them
would be goaless draws or 1-0 matches. They are all
high scoring matches.

Instanbul 2005 was great because of the goals and not
the play.

Brazil and France were evenly matched at France 98
yet we saw 3 goals. Without goals, there is no
football.

Italia 90 was a bore.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by sexxxxy(f): 6:14pm On Jan 07, 2008
Jackal:

MEXICO 86 stands out as the most exciting WORLD CUP ever. . . .
The coverage was just OMG . . . . .
It is non-arguably the most well-organised football tournament in the last century . . .

Hi Jackal,did u watch the Mexico 86 coverage then? or u just watched it recently?
Re: Your Best World Cup Ever by Nobody: 12:23pm On Oct 04, 2015
cooljoe:
It has to be Korea/Japan 2002, nice stadiums, and the first time the WC was hosted by two countries, besides my favorite team(Brazil) won, and a star by the name Ronaldo was resseructed, and another with goofy teeth, who bears the name Ronaldhino was born.

Absolutely spot on.Was discussing this with my friend.It has to be the Korea and Japan.Fabolous venues with great names and the matchball was awesome.The whole color of the world cup accentuated by the Ronaldo haircut at the end.Lol.The tone was set when Bruno Metsu defeated the Euro and World defending Champions in France.No World cup comes close in my opinion.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Play Against Nigeria In The World Cup --- Ronaldo / SEA SALT for ALL SKIN & HAIR INFECTIONS / Gabriel Henze Argentina ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.