Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,034 members, 7,838,585 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Nigeria Leads Sub-Saharan Africa In Internet Speed - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Nigeria Leads Sub-Saharan Africa In Internet Speed (645 Views)

Nigeria Ranked Sixth In Internet Security Threat / How To Increase Your Internet Speed With TP Link Router / Nigeria Leads West Africa In Internet Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Leads Sub-Saharan Africa In Internet Speed by AjanleKoko: 9:49am On Aug 23, 2012
Nigeria Leads Sub-Saharan Africa In Internet Speed - AKAMAI Report

According to the latest report by Akamai Technologies Global Internet Platform on the State of the Internet in Africa, Nigeria has the fastest internet speed on the sub-continent, outside North Africa.
Nigeria has overtaken South Africa in terms of Internet speed. This is coming less than eleven years after reforming its communications networks and market.
The report revealed that Nigeria has an average connection speed of 322kbps with a peak rate of 5674kbps. South Africa on the other hand has a faster average speed of 496kbps, but the country’s peak speed is only half that of Nigeria, at 2172kbps.
“All mobile providers had average peak connection speeds above 2 mbps, though last place South African provider, ZA-1 was just above the threshold, losing over 13 per cent from the prior quarter, at 2.2 mbps,” IT News Africa reported.
According to Leadership, “in 2011 South Africa was one of only two countries listed in the report with an average peak connection speed below 2 mbps. South Africa had average 442kbps over Nigeria’s 286kbps, however, Nigeria outperformed with peak 4871kbps and average 462mbps per month over South Africa’s 1654kbps and 197mbps.”
The report also noted that speeds across the globe were improving, and that all 117 countries that qualified for inclusion measured an increase in average connection speeds.
Akamai Technologies is a leading cloud platform for helping enterprises provide secure, high-performing user experiences on any device. Based on data gathered, the report provides insight into key global statistics such as Internet penetration, mobile connection speeds, origins of attack traffic, and global and regional connection speeds.
Re: Nigeria Leads Sub-Saharan Africa In Internet Speed by AjanleKoko: 10:24am On Aug 23, 2012
I had to edit this, when I looked at the report itself. Morocco is actually higher than the rest of Africa in peak speeds. See report extract below:

30 © 2012 Akamai Technologies, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Figure 23: Average and Average Peak Connection Speed per Month by Mobile Provider
AFRICA
Egypt EG-1 592 3914
Morocco MA-1 996 9579
Nigeria NG-1 322 5674
South Africa ZA-1 496 2172

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Connect My Tablet Via Wi-fi To My Laptop?? / Spectranet Migration Process Started Today 12 September,2013 From Wimax-lte / Opinion Is Needed: Getting A Fairly Used DELL D600

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.