Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,242 members, 7,815,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? (1587 Views)

What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? / Nigerian Music In The Good Old Days / The Nigerian Girls In Music Videos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by tomakint: 4:04pm On Aug 23, 2012
The 80s will go down in modern history as the years of RENAISSANCE IN MUSIC no doubt! There is no country in the world that did not have a fair share (besides United States that had more than a share) of musical geniuses’ ambassadors especially in the 80s. The 80s gave us the highest selling album of all time (over 110 million copies sold till date) in the history of modern music, Thriller, a pop-genre music by Michael Jackson (of blessed memory) a black man, produced by another black man, Quincy Jones (a man with a record 79 Grammy nominations)! The 80s was the era of smashing hits cascading into the planet in an unprecedented manner never before seen; little wonder the adage, “nothing like the 80s”! From disco (although evolved in the late 60s but blossomed in the mid 70s till date), pop, blues, funk, rock, rap, jazz, soul, world beats, reggae down to country music it was hits galore that serenaded Mother Earth!

The waves of pop competing rigorously with disco and reggae was indeed at an alarming rate. To be the best, you have to beat the best was the order of the day! Lyrical contents, video deliveries (include dance steps, costumes and choreographies), synchronization of beats, rhymes, videos messages (contents were self-explanatory), richness of melodies, all add glamour and senses to how good music should be made. Originalities were seriously considered as a must in the production of music. For those of us who witnessed the 80s will remember that Radio Lagos and Lagos Television (LTV) was a regular in keeping us (the listeners) in tuned with the latest hits across the globe from the United States, United Kingdom, Caribbean, Jamaica, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, down to Africa. It was the era Music made sense!

Looking at music now, you are almost concluding that what is happening to good music? It’s all decorated noise in the name of music, they are tasteless, no flavor especially Nigerian music in the name of Naija hip-hops, pack them together it’s almost (if not all) piece of gibberish. It’s all about girls, girls, lewdnesses in videos, mediocrities in all spheres, no reasonable lyrical contents but incoherent and almost baseless beats. Indeed, cacophonies have been used to represent real music. You are almost asking yourself where are the, King Sunny Ades, Ebenezer Obeys, Felas, Kollington Ayinlas, Sikiru Ayinde Barristers, KWAM 1s, Onyeka Onwenus, Evi Edna Ogholis, Christy Essien Igbokwes, Orlando Julius Ekemodes, Ayinla Omowuras, Victor Olaiyas, Oliver de Coques, Sonny Okosuns, Osadebes, Funmi Davies, Funmi Aragbaiyes, Veno Marioghaes, the Mandators, Dizzy K. Falolas, Princess Bunmi Olajubus, Sunshine Sisters, Carol Bridis, Stella Monyes, Dora Ifudus, Uche Ibetos, Alex Os, Bright Chimezies, Alex Zittos, Blackkys, Majek Fasheks, Mike Okris, Orits Wilikis, Ras Kimonos, Lijadu Sisters, Daniel Wilsons, Felix Lebartys, Chris Hanens of today? Truly, the list is endless! If one is to consider the few still holding forte today in real music that makes sense, then you will consider a Femi Kuti, a Tuface, a Lagbaja, an Asa, a Nigga Raw, may be a 9ice, and a handful. And the rest? Don’t even mention them! God help us!

They call them old schools, but I prefer the term ‘evergreen songs,’ because good music does not die!
Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by NobleAngell(f): 4:15pm On Aug 23, 2012
Its either gospels or anyfin Lil wayne.
Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by tomakint: 4:36pm On Aug 23, 2012
NobleAngell: Its either gospels or anyfin Lil wayne.

Good taste in gospel, but Lil wayne? Sorry, I am just trying to figure out how you marry the two together! Well, goodluck!
Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by naturalwaves: 4:43pm On Sep 14, 2012
tomakint: The 80s will go down in modern history as the years of RENAISSANCE IN MUSIC no doubt! There is no country in the world that did not have a fair share (besides United States that had more than a share) of musical geniuses’ ambassadors especially in the 80s. The 80s gave us the highest selling album of all time (over 110 million copies sold till date) in the history of modern music, Thriller, a pop-genre music by Michael Jackson (of blessed memory) a black man, produced by another black man, Quincy Jones (a man with a record 79 Grammy nominations)! The 80s was the era of smashing hits cascading into the planet in an unprecedented manner never before seen; little wonder the adage, “nothing like the 80s”! From disco (although evolved in the late 60s but blossomed in the mid 70s till date), pop, blues, funk, rock, rap, jazz, soul, world beats, reggae down to country music it was hits galore that serenaded Mother Earth!

The waves of pop competing rigorously with disco and reggae was indeed at an alarming rate. To be the best, you have to beat the best was the order of the day! Lyrical contents, video deliveries (include dance steps, costumes and choreographies), synchronization of beats, rhymes, videos messages (contents were self-explanatory), richness of melodies, all add glamour and senses to how good music should be made. Originalities were seriously considered as a must in the production of music. For those of us who witnessed the 80s will remember that Radio Lagos and Lagos Television (LTV) was a regular in keeping us (the listeners) in tuned with the latest hits across the globe from the United States, United Kingdom, Caribbean, Jamaica, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, down to Africa. It was the era Music made sense!

Looking at music now, you are almost concluding that what is happening to good music? It’s all decorated noise in the name of music, they are tasteless, no flavor especially Nigerian music in the name of Naija hip-hops, pack them together it’s almost (if not all) piece of gibberish. It’s all about girls, girls, lewdnesses in videos, mediocrities in all spheres, no reasonable lyrical contents but incoherent and almost baseless beats. Indeed, cacophonies have been used to represent real music. You are almost asking yourself where are the, King Sunny Ades, Ebenezer Obeys, Felas, Kollington Ayinlas, Sikiru Ayinde Barristers, KWAM 1s, Onyeka Onwenus, Evi Edna Ogholis, Christy Essien Igbokwes, Orlando Julius Ekemodes, Ayinla Omowuras, Victor Olaiyas, Oliver de Coques, Sonny Okosuns, Osadebes, Funmi Davies, Funmi Aragbaiyes, Veno Marioghaes, the Mandators, Dizzy K. Falolas, Princess Bunmi Olajubus, Sunshine Sisters, Carol Bridis, Stella Monyes, Dora Ifudus, Uche Ibetos, Alex Os, Bright Chimezies, Alex Zittos, Blackkys, Majek Fasheks, Mike Okris, Orits Wilikis, Ras Kimonos, Lijadu Sisters, Daniel Wilsons, Felix Lebartys, Chris Hanens of today? Truly, the list is endless! If one is to consider the few still holding forte today in real music that makes sense, then you will consider a Femi Kuti, a Tuface, a Lagbaja, an Asa, a Nigga Raw, may be a 9ice, and a handful. And the rest? Don’t even mention them! God help us!

They call them old schools, but I prefer the term ‘evergreen songs,’ because good music does not die!

Well said,nice article! I just bookmarked this page.

1 Like

Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by tomakint: 4:55pm On Sep 14, 2012
naturalwaves:

Well said,nice article! I just bookmarked this page.

Thanks pal, please feel free to contact my door is always open for your type of 'focused, goal-oriented guy', my collections is in its thousands more than 6,000 songs (of course I lost a lot when my system crashed! takia pal wink
Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by naturalwaves: 5:56pm On Sep 14, 2012
^^^ Thanks for d compliments.Wow, 6000 is pretty much and sorry abt ur hard disc.It is always a good idea to back up one's data for sefurity reasons.I'll keep a close watch,don't worry.Tnx!
Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by tomakint: 10:49am On Sep 20, 2012
naturalwaves: ^^^ Thanks for d compliments.Wow, 6000 is pretty much and sorry abt ur hard disc.It is always a good idea to back up one's data for sefurity reasons.I'll keep a close watch,don't worry.Tnx!

Anytime bro, men don't mind me I actually gambled thinking i can handle it! Well, I am back on my feet now!
Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by Nobody: 2:54am On Sep 24, 2012
my favourite 70s/80s musicians are "the who" those guys are like wow, the greatest Rock band ever to me, they killed and burnt down rock music leaving the debris for others to lay claim to.
I also like kim carnes cause of her hit track 'Bette Davis eyes'
Not forgetting Pete townshend the amazing guitarist(a member of the who) cause of awesome singles 'Let my love open the door' that still keeps me grooving till this day
And many more other cool Musicians.
Musics from the 80s rocks bigtime, pure talent, most musicians then played live instrument without formal training, not all this washed up computer edited songs of today from talentless artistes
Re: The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? by tomakint: 11:04am On Oct 01, 2012
the.game:
my favourite 70s/80s musicians are "the who" those guys are like wow, the greatest Rock band ever to me, they killed and burnt down rock music leaving the debris for others to lay claim to.
I also like kim carnes cause of her hit track 'Bette Davis eyes'
Not forgetting Pete townshend the amazing guitarist(a member of the who) cause of awesome singles 'Let my love open the door' that still keeps me grooving till this day
And many more other cool Musicians.
Musics from the 80s rocks bigtime, pure talent, most musicians then played live instrument without formal training, not all this washed up computer edited songs of today from talentless artistes

God bless you real good bro, infact you made my day! Happy Independence anniversary and I wish you the best in life. Truly,Music has lost its flavour especially the Nigerian jargons called 'Naija hip hop'

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Olamide Vs. Dagrin: Lyrically Examined / 2face Idibia Ft. Fally Ipupa – Diaspora Women / Download Orezi Hit Songs On 2324xclusive [ Audio]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.