Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:25 AM

Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? (1124 Views)

Staff Cry As Rafindadi, VC Of Lokoja Federal University Leaves Office After Sack / Chinese Boy Wins NAFDAC School Essay Competition In Abia / Chinese Boy Wins NAFDAC School Essay Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by cute9jaguy(m): 1:31am On Dec 30, 2007
Y'all should read this story from yahoo news,a school boy wins jackpot and leaves school! Whats your view on that? If you were the one,will you still stay in school? Afterall, people go to school to make money,since he got his through jackpot,he decided to leave! I remember some mine workers in US that won millions of dollars, they still went to work the following day. Is this boy's attitude synonymous with young people?

BEIJING (Reuters) - A college student withdrew from school after winning the 5 million yuan ($683,000) jackpot in a lottery in China' eastern city of Nanjing, local media reported on Thursday.
ADVERTISEMENT

The second-year student at the Jiangsu Maritime Institute, identified by the nickname Yong to protect his identity, was the sole first-prize winner in the "Double Colour Ball" issued by the China Welfare Lottery on Tuesday, the Beijing News said.

"After winning the lottery, Yong told his roommates that he would share 2,000 yuan with each of them," it added.

Yong informed school authorities of his winnings, and had returned home.

"We are not sure if he will return to school, but we hope he will eventually finish his education," the paper quoted Yong's teacher as saying.

The Communist Party abolished lotteries in China after taking power in 1949, denouncing them as a practice of decadent capitalists. But the country launched state-run lotteries in 1987 amid market-oriented reforms.

Lotteries have become increasingly popular both among the poor and the newly rich in China, where many forms of gambling are banned. Per capita income in China's urban areas is roughly $1,900 a year and about $600 a year in rural areas.

Lottery-related crimes have been on the rise as well, and underground lottery schemes have become rampant across the country in recent years, bankrupting many families.

Last month, China set up its first help centre for lottery addicts, offering counseling and legal assistance.
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by wendymanda: 1:41am On Dec 30, 2007
That is such a mumu mentality. Why not put the money in the bank finish school and then use the money to start a business. Most Chinese study economics anyway so why not put the money in a savings account to accumulate more then invest it into something important after getting education. I guess anyone that gambles would not be expected to think beyond.
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by cute9jaguy(m): 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2007
cute9jaguy:

Is this boy's attitude synonymous with young people?

no one has answered,is this thingy with young peeps?
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by wendymanda: 9:04pm On Dec 30, 2007
I don't think it's necessarily synonymous with young people it's more a thing of parents and environment. If the parents are well educated then that will never happen however if education is not a strong concept in the family then the child will not hold it important. This kind of behavior has occured with a man that the doctors told he had a month to live so he went out and splurged and later learned that it was the wrong diagnosis so he sued. He had accumulated so much debt because he thought he was going to die.
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by ifyalways(f): 11:04pm On Dec 30, 2007
cute9jaguy:

no one has answered,is this thingy with young peeps?
no i don'tthink so.
even an adult cud have done so.
its just a thing of enviroment,individual values,peer group/parental/social pressure.its just a personal decision.
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by cute9jaguy(m): 12:12am On Dec 31, 2007
wendymanda:

This kind of behavior has occured with a man that the doctors told he had a month to live so he went out and splurged and later learned that it was the wrong diagnosis so he sued. He had accumulated so much debt because he thought he was going to die.
damn,he wanted to be smart!
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by Uche2nna(m): 12:14am On Dec 31, 2007
wendymanda:

This kind of behavior has occured with a man that the doctors told he had a month to live so he went out and splurged and later learned that it was the wrong diagnosis so he sued. He had accumulated so much debt because he thought he was going to die.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by dragnet: 4:00pm On Jan 13, 2008
In the first place, you wouldnt find me near a lottery whatever. . . .
In regards of your questi0n. . I'd say it has n0thing to do with "being young"
Re: Boy Wins Jackpot, Leaves School. What Would You Do? by dapsycool(m): 8:28pm On Jan 15, 2008
I'll leave school and employ bsc and masters graduates. I'll control them like a dogs lmfao

(1) (Reply)

Fg Removes Ceiling On Hnd Holders’ Ranking / Change Of Institution Form / Lasu 2009 / 2010 Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.