Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,129 members, 7,842,246 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. (27629 Views)

10 Things All Nigerians Wishing To Travel Overseas Must Know / Chile Visa Issued Outside Nigeria / Can You Drive With A Nigerian Licence Outside Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by abumen05: 11:48am On Aug 25, 2012
Very explicit....also don't use d word "rape" 4 "rap".....it cud send u behind d bar
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by macob(m): 11:54am On Aug 25, 2012
ebamma: you can enjoy facebook and twitter here in nigeria,in china you will not be able to do that
i have been meaning to ask that. why did they ban twitter in Chinco?
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Freiburger(m): 11:57am On Aug 25, 2012
lol @ thread.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by denitro(m): 11:59am On Aug 25, 2012
Contd:
When you want to buy a pen.. Don't say I want to buy biro..
The sales attendant will think you are crazy.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by BAMMZ(m): 11:59am On Aug 25, 2012
There are many nigerians stranded in mali and yet their peeps think they are in europe. Some are in jail,some dead.
Do you realy know where your people are?
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by 2sexy(m): 12:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
seedord247:

Don't mind that 50 yrs deportee from haiti. He always say what he dream of not what he listen or read about. wink
Gbam...! I know that guy from another thread stating that he would rather have his wife fix her nails and looking beautiful than have her cook his meals as though cooking is slavery... Billyonaire!
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by claremont(m): 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2012
Make sure you also invest in a good Mouthwash. There is nothing worse than a well-dressed man/lady with an extreme level of Halitosis.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by 2sexy(m): 12:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
macob:
i have been meaning to ask that. why did they ban twitter in Chinco?
They have their reasons and I believe that they know better. They banned facebook as well and I believe they are doing so a better China. Chinese are often viewed as 'mumu' but see how far they have come and even killed market in the US. I heard they also regulate the kind of programs on TV. Now contrast Nigeria where all social network and media hype are allowed, what do you see? MASS FAILURE in exams!
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by StellaBella(f): 12:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
Ol boy take It easy
No be fight
This na just observations, no be LAW.
CALM DOWN!!!
seedord247:

I disagree with the bolded part.

1,If you want to buy drinks from the machine, there's nothing like pop, It;s call COKE and most pple call it COKe so i don't know where you get your own soda and what they mean by soda is all drinks without alcohol.

2. Ashawo is not legalize here in the US, and also, you don pay taxes if you settle with one.

3. There's no way you can change your ascent, What my boss hate most is forming what you are not... Haiti, jamaica, Cuba, mexicans and Ethiopians are always proud to talk in their ascent. Maybe bcus you are brought up in okomaro village and your ascent sound like Giraffe.

4.What akata girls like most, they like guys with hairy chest, most of the white, mexicans, indians, Akata;s girls that have i f*cked never shave their Pu*sy hair. They said It;s fashion. cool

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by princenino4u: 12:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
make sure that you dont have a mouth odor but if u have no woman will near you even ashawo if you have it conji will kill you
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by princenino4u: 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2012
yes i base in china nothing like tweeter her
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by flexdee(m): 12:26pm On Aug 25, 2012
princenino4u: make sure that you dont have a mouth odor but if u have no woman will near you even ashawo if you have it conji will kill you

ROTFL
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by BizBooks(m): 12:47pm On Aug 25, 2012
As others have noted, you can ask for Coke anywhere at least in the US and everybody will
understand what you mean. Soda is the equivalent of mineral in Nigeria. So if you tell
somebody you want Soda, the next thing they will ask you is "Coke or Pepsi"?.

Also, I noticed that Nigerians visiting the US for the first time use the phrase "fvck up"
indiscriminately. Here it is a big no no.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by basher(m): 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2012
That your XXXL nyash might be an ASSET in 9ja but it's a LIABILITY in the western world.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by omanzo02: 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2012
BizBooks: As others have noted, you can ask for Coke anywhere at least in the US and everybody will
understand what you mean. Soda is the equivalent of mineral in Nigeria. So if you tell
somebody you want Soda, the next thing they will ask you is "Coke or Pepsi"?.

Also, I noticed that Nigerians visiting the US for the first time use the phrase "fvck up"
indiscriminately. Here it is a big no no.

If u say 'coke' in Europe everyone will think u mean cocaine, rather say 'cola'.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by BUSHMAN1: 1:18pm On Aug 25, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin if you go to a nite club make sure the woman you are trying to chat up. is actually a woman,some men are transvestites, some men dress as a woman e.t.c

1 Like

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by noholdsbarred(m): 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2012
@ Poster, that your number 2 na serious issue o! Kudos.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by seedord247(m): 1:33pm On Aug 25, 2012
Stella_Bella: Ol boy take It easy
No be fight
This na just observations, no be LAW.
CALM DOWN!!!

You nor talk am say na observation.

You talk am like say na u implement the law. grin
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by stpat1(m): 1:50pm On Aug 25, 2012
hahaha most of what the poster wrote are true. My sister said it when she won Visa lottery.
Don't try to bring along our soaps and detergent with you cos everyone will surely notice the offensive odour of the detergent in the washing machine, you accent needs to be altered if you are to work in a decent place a whole lot of things just have to be changed. I wan laugh die
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Paentera(m): 1:51pm On Aug 25, 2012
Stella_Bella: 1. Somebody fall or injure.. Nor say SORRY ... Ask am are u okay?

2. can I buy coke or mineral...... No. say ...I want soda or pop... Coke can land u in jail.

3. you have to pay tax on every item... Incuding ashewo tax.

4. Taxi na meter and the money dey start from tax not from zero

5. Have alternative for accommodation, even your brother will disappoint you and blame akata/oyinbo wife.

6. Be careful with girls some are 15 and look 30.. Them go even show u fake id..express road to jail be that.

7. If you mess, sneeze or cough...say excuse me

8. Wash all your Nigeria clothes with their detergent and softener to remove Nigeria Akpu, stock-fish, and beans smell.

9.try to learn to reduce your accent, or else u will drive taxi or sell ice cream proper.

10. Shave off all Nigeria armpit,private hair and wash yourself with their deodorant soap.
To be forewarned is to be forearmed

Just my advise
More contribution is wanted.

Have a great day!

Avoid saying "Do You understand?" instead say "Do you get what I mean?" - I had a Nigerian classmate while in UK who fellow classmates from other countries avoided like a plague when we had to be put in study/work groups. This had gone on for over a semester and the frustrated guy had to cry out that he was being discriminated against because of the colour of his skin. Other Nigerians did some preliminary investigation only to find out that this "Nigerian" way of communicating was at the very bottom of why other nationalities avoided this dude like a plague. According to them, the statement "Do you understand?" implied they were dumb and because he constantly asked this as a normal Nigerian would when speaking, they felt he was being arrogant and avoided him.

2 Likes

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by EmmaUG: 1:56pm On Aug 25, 2012
In nairaland here u can create any stoolpd thread post any how comment insult anybody but here in US.na dye b dat
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by manny4life(m): 2:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
@OP, tha was really funny... loved it.

As a matter of fact, I had witnessed something similar to the "coke" incident @ CVS before only that the dude said "drugs" instead of medicine/OTC medication. Before you knew it, police was everywhere. Luckily for him, he lived close to the store, and while the ordeal lasted for about 25mins. Although I did not vouch for him, but I did acknowledge that that how we call medicine in Nigeria. He's guardian/sponsor had arrived with his documentation, though the officers were nice and released him after (you know the rest, how officers behave). He learned something new - NEVER EVER CALL A MEDICINE DRUGS.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by BUSHMAN1: 2:10pm On Aug 25, 2012
dont urinate any were you see or spit (typical naija behaviour) any how in the street, put all rubbish in the bin
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by StellaBella(f): 2:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
Drive through means with a car.
I actually walked up to the drive thru machine at 10pm Of WHATABURGER waiting for answer for 10 minutes.
Until a car nearly jam me and ask me where I was from. I said kenya grin
No legs in drive thru.

1 Like

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Afam4eva(m): 2:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
Emma.UG:
In nairaland here u can create any stoolpd thread post any how comment insult anybody but here in US.na dye b dat
Abeg stop lieing. I go to American forums and i see how they insult anybody and everybody. I guess all of them are dead.

2 Likes

Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
When travelling,someone gave u a pack to deliver,pls and pls,check it properly.it could land u in jail.
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by BUSHMAN1: 2:17pm On Aug 25, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin do not put your arms around your male friend shoulder, he might think you are gay
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by manny4life(m): 2:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
Don't change who you are for nobody, grin grin grin
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by StellaBella(f): 2:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
Softry chop buffet.
Some chinese dey ban nija from thier buffet
I witness one
This nija man wan finish chinese man profit
Oya. The guy refund im 7 dollar and tell am neva to returm cheesy
No bi me ooohh
Re: 10-Things You Shouldn't Do/Say Outside Nigeria. by manny4life(m): 2:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
BUSH MAN: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin do not put your arms around your male friend shoulder, he might think you are gay

Haba, is it's only gay people who put their hands around male friends right?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? / Motorist Crushes Hoodlum, Colleague While Fighting For Money in Lagos / Second Niger Bridge Opens To Vehicular Movements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.