Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Don't Blame Your Slippers! - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / Don't Blame Your Slippers! (1595 Views)

Poem You Are To Blame / "blame Yourself" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 6:33pm On Aug 26, 2012
Don't blame your slippers
Lazy lad lacking in zest
Devoid of life but a heaving chest
When the rest are on the crest
You slip behind
. . .don't blame the slippers
You burden it with your weight
Layabout must endure the hind of their mate
Never on time;always late
When you slip behind
. . .don't blame your slippers
Soon the sun will bring the rain
Dilligence surely will bring the gain
And lazy bones must feel the pain
. . .always blaming their slippers
Though the slippers be slippery;
O wearer! Be firm
Slippers of stuff soft,but you are of
bones firm
Don't blame the rain;learn to be
just firm
Don't slip behind
. . .and blame your slippers

2 Likes

Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by EyesWideOpen(m): 6:39pm On Aug 26, 2012
shud we xpect more of dis or dat is jst it? I like it.
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 6:44pm On Aug 26, 2012
Oya, i dey wait for una
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 6:53pm On Aug 26, 2012
EyesWideOpen: shud we xpect more of dis or dat is jst it? I like it.

I have another poem titled 'ping me'. Check for it in my profile if you like
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by breathing(f): 7:09pm On Aug 26, 2012
Good one, you sound very hard working. wink
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 7:16pm On Aug 26, 2012
breathing: Good one, you sound very hard working. wink

I do? I hope you don't sound sarcastic? Thanx 4dropping by sha
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by EyesWideOpen(m): 7:21pm On Aug 26, 2012
Sapphiredamsel:

I have another poem titled 'ping me'. Check for it in my profile if you like
read that one too. U r doing a gud job, keep 'em coming. I luv poems.
One of these days I'll post one of d many I've written myself.

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 2:08am On Aug 27, 2012
EyesWideOpen:
read that one too. U r doing a gud job, keep 'em coming. I luv poems.
One of these days I'll post one of d many I've written myself.

Will love to read them o
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by breathing(f): 4:57am On Aug 27, 2012
Awww Sapphire, I'd rather not comment on your poem than be sarcastic nah. I'm not an expert on poems sha, so I can't give you a better comment. I only know the ones I like, and the ones I hate. And I'm saying I like this one, it's simple and it provokes thought. The professors would soon be here to give you a proper analysis sha. Amen! grin

As for being hard working, your poem sounds like something you find in the pages of motivational book, and motivators are always hard working. wink

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 5:25am On Aug 27, 2012
breathing: Awww Sapphire, I'd rather not comment on your poem than be sarcastic nah. I'm not an expert on poems sha, so I can't give you a better comment. I only know the ones I like, and the ones I hate. And I'm saying I like this one, it's simple and it provokes thought. The professors would soon be here to give you a proper analysis sha. Amen! grin

As for being hard working, your poem sounds like something you find in the pages of motivational book, and motivators are always hard working. wink
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 5:29am On Aug 27, 2012
breathing: Awww Sapphire, I'd rather not comment on your poem than be sarcastic nah. I'm not an expert on poems sha, so I can't give you a better comment. I only know the ones I like, and the ones I hate. And I'm saying I like this one, it's simple and it provokes thought. The professors would soon be here to give you a proper analysis sha. Amen! grin

Dats so sweet of u babes. I aint a guru in poem creation. Just a newbie. I just made it a point to put my thoughts on paper once in a while

1 Like

Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Nobody: 11:54am On Aug 31, 2012
It's my thoughts I'm submitting o. And I'm no professor of literature by any definition.

I like your poem. It speaks very powerfully. I think it could appeal better if you

¤ adhered to a rhythm. I think that rhymes imply rhythm so if you're going to repeat vowel sounds with very similar consonant sounds as well, they should occur at a musical frequency.

¤ used verses better. I think that verses ought to resemble one another to indicate that they belong to the same poem. But I'm not sure how that works with free or blank verse.

* captured whole phrases in fewer words. Sometimes, especially (I think) when the piece addresses intellectual matter, the poem should make the reader work for its meaning. So, instead of saying, for instance, "don't blame the rain; learn to be just firm", you could say, "clouds will spill lessons to be firm".

¤ Like someone chastised me recently, "stick to one era". The last verse made me feel a little like I was reading eighteenth century english even though it wasn't exactly true to form.

Those are my thoughts. But believe me, I think you show a lot of promise and the piece speaks of you as a person aware of life. It's people like that that create poetry. Do you read poetry? I mean, like those written by established poets?
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 1:01pm On Aug 31, 2012
Ihedinobi: It's my thoughts I'm submitting o. And I'm no professor of literature by any definition.

I like your poem. It speaks very powerfully. I think it could appeal better if you

¤ adhered to a rhythm. I think that rhymes imply rhythm so if you're going to repeat vowel sounds with very similar consonant sounds as well, they should occur at a musical frequency.

¤ used verses better. I think that verses ought to resemble one another to indicate that they belong to the same poem. But I'm not sure how that works with free or blank verse.

* captured whole phrases in fewer words. Sometimes, especially (I think) when the piece addresses intellectual matter, the poem should make the reader work for its meaning. So, instead of saying, for instance, "don't blame the rain; learn to be just firm", you could say, "clouds will spill lessons to be firm".

¤ Like someone chastised me recently, "stick to one era". The last verse made me feel a little like I was reading eighteenth century english even though it wasn't exactly true to form.

Those are my thoughts. But believe me, I think you show a lot of promise and the piece speaks of you as a person aware of life. It's people like that that create poetry. Do you read poetry? I mean, like those written by established poets?
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sammiejo: 6:49pm On Aug 31, 2012
Nice poems, but please copyright all your intellectual property O.
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 7:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
Sammiejo: Nice poems, but please copyright all your intellectual property O.

I dont know how to copyright them
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 12:09am On Dec 24, 2013
I miss the good old days
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by TheSoothSayer(m): 11:36pm On Dec 27, 2013
OP What planet did you come from? Sincerely, I'm sorry to say this but I'm just shocked. Why do people write like this? Do you actually call this poetry? Are you kidding me? This is one of the best poems I have read. Believe me, I've read a lot. This one is fantabulous! Your rhythm and rhyming is wow!
Re: Don't Blame Your Slippers! by Sapphiredamsel(f): 2:55pm On Dec 28, 2013
The SoothSayer: OP What planet did you come from? Sincerely, I'm sorry to say this but I'm just shocked. Why do people write like this? Do you actually call this poetry? Are you kidding me? This is one of the best poems I have read. Believe me, I've read a lot. This one is fantabulous! Your rhythm and rhyming is wow!
Awwww, I'm blushing! Thanx

(1) (Reply)

Red Poetry: A Touch Of Christmas / Poem-water / Don't... Do... (two Poems, Enjoy Reading)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.