Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:56 AM

Factors To Note Before Buying A Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Factors To Note Before Buying A Car (22996 Views)

Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 10:22am On Aug 29, 2012
IMPORTANT FACTORS TO NOTE BEFORE BUYING A CAR

There are very important factors to consider than just paying for a car and driving it into the streets.

So many people just buy cars due to what they can afford, Car brand and status thing but there are more important things to note.

Below are some of the thing to consider before paying for a car.

* Fuel Consumption : some particular cars look very sleek and attractive as well as comfortable but by manufacturers idea, such car consumes a lot of fuel. I.e Mercedez Benz, BMW and Volvo. Are cars with high fuel consumption. If you know your income doesn't permit you to spend heavily on fuel then it is advised you settle for cars with lower fuel consumption.

* Cost of Parts : if you earn less than N100,000 monthly, there are certain cars even if you get at almost free you shouldn't bother considering because of their high cost of spare parts which most times are not only scare but also quite expensive. Such cars are Peugeot, Benz, Volvo and BMW.

* Avoid Cars Attractive To Theft : if you stay in a neighborhood that isn't so secure and also know you routine are to places with less security, you are advised to avoid buying some certain kind of cars. Yes! You may decide to install a car tracker and also do insurance policy, but will this stop your neighbors from stealing you Side mirror, wiper, lights and rims? Know how secured your neighborhood is before buying some certain type of cars with 'high demand of certain parts'.

* Road Access : If you stay in a neighborhood with good road construction and perfect network, then your concern of acquiring a SUV (jeep) should be limited as it might not be an immediate need as you car no matter how flooded is not likely to be affect due to the road construction. On the other hand, if you know you reside in a poor road construction neighborhood, then even if you know you need a SUV or high kind of car also consider the maintenance cost of the car before purchasing.

* Distance Traveled Regularly : if you are a long distance traveler (I.e distance between your home to work) you need to find out cars that are not easily affected on long distance traveled. Some car brands can't withstand long distance as they easily get heated up and start affect mechanical and wiring aspects of the car.

More to come soon.

12 Likes

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 8:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
Una no dey buy car?

Abeg I need other things to consider.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by CHIMCO(m): 5:49am On Aug 30, 2012
Re u sure that Benz parts are expensive?
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 6:36am On Aug 30, 2012
CHIMCO: Re u sure that Benz parts are expensive?

Well I am not a spare part seller.
But the last time I used a benz, maintenance wasn't funny.

2 Likes

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Silas0(m): 8:09am On Aug 30, 2012
@ acid talk I'm fixin of gettin a 2009 camry or 2008 accord.pls wat do u think about d maintenance cost?

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 9:29am On Aug 30, 2012
Silas0: @ acid talk I'm fixin of gettin a 2009 camry or 2008 accord.pls wat do u think about d maintenance cost?

Maintenance cost generally has to do with your earnings.

Your earnings is the determinant factor of how xheap, reasonable and expensive the maintenance is going to be. But on the average I believe the maintenance for that particular car is fairly reasonable and also with available parts.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by FindOut(m): 2:10am On Aug 31, 2012
Hmmm.... Fuel consumption!!! Fuel consumption!!!!

Well, we really have to be careful here especially when it comes to generalising certain vehicle brands as consumers and some as non-thirsty vehicles.

I'd say you find out the ENGINE CONFIGURATION/DISPLACEMENT of the PARTICULAR vehicle you intend to buy. Then consult the internet if you want to have an idea of the fuel economy figures (fueleconomy dot gov) is a very useful site in this regard.

Some people say, ''oh, Benz, audi, they consume fuel. Toyota is very fuel efficient. Honda is the best''

Go and buy an Audi A4/Volks passat i4 1.8litre, (naturally aspirated, non turbo) and come back and tell me if it consumes fuel. It doesnt.

Go and buy another Audi A4/Volks Passat, same model year, looks exactly the same as the first, (OK, maybe this one has leather) but with a 2.8litre V6 engine. U'll get different (higher) fuel consumption figures, especially if u spend a lotta tym in traffic.

Get Volks Bora/Jetta/Golf (IV), 1.6 litre engine (you'll be wondering if your car engine does not use fuel).

Get the same model year Volks Bora/Jetta/Golf(IV) with a 2.8 VR6 engine, much higher fuel consumption figures.

Even the hondas and Toyotas which we hold in high esteem, same same.

I know for a fact that the V6(3.0litre) Honda Accord 03 -07 EOD & Discussion continues CONSUME fuel...if you drive in heavy traffic a lot. Whereas, those who drive the 4 cylinder (2.4litre) versions will tell you ''Honda is very fuel efficient, & well, in their case, they wouldnt be lying''.

Or if you still think Toyotas are fuel efficient, get urself a Toyota Sequioa or Landcruiser, powered by a V8 4.7litre, then you'll be properly re-educated.

Know your car well before you buy it. I personally love V6 cars coz of the power, but I know i'll be paying for it at d filling station.

If you are not willing /capable enough to spend a lot of cash on fuel, then dont just buy any camry or bora coz they are fuel efficient. Ensure that you go for the one with the particular engine capacity that will give you the best fuel economy.

Mercedes cars are also another serious cause for confusion. Many people do not know that the first generatn C class for e.g. comes in about 4 diff engine variants....at least that can be commonly found on naija roads. U have the C180, C200, C230, C280. Those numbers mean something, usually used to denote the exact (or close to) engine displacement. Know the particular C class you are buying. If you buy a C280 (2.8litre V6) & you are expecting the same infrequent visits to the filling station as applies to your neighbour who drives the C180, then you'll be in 4 a shock.

Above all, as has bn said severally here, proper vehicle maintenance is key to getting the best fuel economy results.

23 Likes

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 8:47am On Aug 31, 2012
^^^
Thanks a bunch for the enlightenment.
Will suggest you are round to answer people's questions more professionally than i would have done on his issues.
Once again, thanks so much.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by FindOut(m): 9:57am On Aug 31, 2012
acidtalk: ^^^
Thanks a bunch for the enlightenment.
Will suggest you are round to answer people's questions more professionally than i would have done on his issues.
Once again, thanks so much.

No probs Boss. I frequent the car talk section to learn more and share my own little knowledge when I can. I'm around, & if any question pass my power, i know my gurus here (Siena, Fhemmy, Trac, Sultaan, Ikenna e.t.c.) will do justice to it.lol

1 Like

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 31, 2012
grin
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by nikkyshyne(f): 1:48pm On Aug 31, 2012
The car mileage is also very important. Anything above 100,000 is quite high.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by MMM2(m): 2:02pm On Aug 31, 2012
Op

What of keke napepe
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by ITbomb(m): 2:02pm On Aug 31, 2012
You have listed the ones not to buy , so which ones are we to buy base on your points
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by a1solution: 2:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
if you buy car when you nor fit maintain because your neighbor get-am na you sabi.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Idondome: 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
@OP & Find Out, which small jeep do you think has better fuel efficiency that their cost is low? Am thinking of getting one soon by God's grace. Thanks!
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by pingo(m): 2:09pm On Aug 31, 2012
What do you think about a Toyota Echo 2003 for a 400k monthly earner?
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by tunapawizzy: 2:13pm On Aug 31, 2012
pingo: What do you think about a Toyota Echo 2003 for a 400k monthly earner?
u can do better
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Shakara123(m): 2:36pm On Aug 31, 2012
Did I hear somebody say Mileage? Hey boss, forget it cos that can be adjusted. As much as it is supposed to be a good factor, it is highly compromised these days.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Wallie(m): 2:42pm On Aug 31, 2012
To add to what was already said, there are quite a few variables to consider that affects fuel consumption and the size of the engine is just one of them.

The easiest way to know what you’re getting into is to check the Miles Per Gallon (MPG) or Kilometers per liter rating of the vehicle in question because with everything being equal, the manufacturers ratings will give you the ideal numbers.

Things that affect fuel consumption:

1. Weight of the vehicle – take out all the junk and unnecessary stuff in your car/trunk
2. Underinflated tires – creates more friction which means the car uses more power to move
3. Size of engine - with everything else being equal, a bigger engine will use more fuel
4. Efficiency of engine – some engines are designed efficiently which might result in a bigger engine being more fuel efficient than a smaller engine
5. State of engine - unclogged air filter, good spark plugs, type of engine oil will result in higher gas mileage
6. Stop and go traffic – your gas mileage will suffer every time you use your brakes because using your brakes means that you need more “new” energy to continue moving as the “old” energy you used to get up to speed dissipated into heat created by the brakes.
7. Quality of fuel – bad fuel will reduce the efficiency of your car because the ECU (brain box) will compensate for the fuel by retarding “timing” to avoid damaging your engine.
8. How car is driven – the higher the RPM (revving the engine), the more fuel you burn.

4 Likes

Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by mkoabiola: 2:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
Nice thread for dose willing to buy car{s}.I av learnt frm ds.more of ds,cos am buying my 1st ride sooon preferably a jeep.
Pls,which jeep can u recommend for a 1st timer which will consume less money in terms of fuel consumption ,spare parts and d rest.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by eyenCalabar(m): 2:52pm On Aug 31, 2012
following.. smiley
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 31, 2012
Or if you still think Toyotas are fuel efficient, get urself a Toyota Sequioa or Landcruiser, powered by a V8 4.7litre, then you'll be properly re-educated.

Well said bro! The sequoia na fuel SHARK!!! grin
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by folahann(m): 3:15pm On Aug 31, 2012
Spend according the resources available or just keep taking the bus
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by SpaceAngel: 3:15pm On Aug 31, 2012
mko abiola: Nice thread for dose willing to buy car{s}.I av learnt frm ds.more of ds,cos am buying my 1st ride sooon preferably a jeep.
Pls,which jeep can u recommend for a 1st timer which will consume less money in terms of fuel consumption ,spare parts and d rest.

Some SUVs with such qualities are Toyota rav4, Honda crv, mitsubishi-outlander
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by bocin500(m): 3:42pm On Aug 31, 2012
no doubt, one of the most educative posts i've read in a very long while....
@ OP, good one..to all who have contributed positively, i say u are the ones that still make some of us believe that NL hasn't been hijacked by imature minds...well done.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 3:44pm On Aug 31, 2012
Billyonaire: grin

You do mistake inhale 'laughing gas'?
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by acidtalk: 3:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
Are Suzuki and Isuzu SUV cars good fuel savers?
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by tinnymerit(m): 3:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
i think its better one buys a new car because most of the cars bought from US or UK are accidental car,you will be surprised that such cars accelerate and causes accident without intention of moving dem. you can browse for it.
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by Wallie(m): 3:55pm On Aug 31, 2012
tinnymerit: i think its better one buys a new car because most of the cars bought from US or UK are accidental car,you will be surprised that such cars accelerate and causes accident without intention of moving dem. you can browse for it.
I don't even know where to start! shocked
Re: Factors To Note Before Buying A Car by femionasan(m): 4:01pm On Aug 31, 2012
tinnymerit: i think its better one buys a new car because most of the cars bought from US or UK are accidental car,you will be surprised that such cars accelerate and causes accident without intention of moving dem. you can browse for it.

LMAO, bros not every one can buy a new car. Just follow this thread and get enlightened.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2005 Nissan Altima Vs 2005 Toyota Camry / My Lexus RX 300 Is Consuming Lots Of Fuel, I Need Help,forum!!! / Six Areas To Check Before Buying A Used Vehicle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.